Inventor Skill Discussion

Urza285

Introduction

Welcome to the inventor skill discussion thread. I created this thread in response to some interesting thoughts on how Inventor might be developed by jagex from player suggestions made within the community. I also wanted to help drive the community to discuss the skill as far as what to expect and how it might unfold itself to the community.

Inventor is a particularly interesting choice for a skill to bring to the game. We now have player polls driving popular content on all levels of game development. We are just getting a taste for how the polls are developing. Roght now we can see that they are tentative and build on popular polling choices. Inventing new things for the game is an exciting prospect in regards to player polls because now players may have the chance to help "create" some awesome and inspiring inventions. If jagex were to start polling us on what kind of recipes for inventor we would like we would see some options such as: new weapons, convenience, traveling, and novelty items up there. Surely though many of our inventions will be community suggestions. But the key point is that the players are using their real-world ingenuity to create interesting inventions for the inventor skill. The reason why I feel this is the path of inventor is due to two major reasons:

1. Player suggestion is powerful

2. Player polls express community interest

When I started looking watching the "Best of the Eight" BTS video I started getting a better look at things. One question to ask is how will information from the BTS set the standard? Well we were keyed in on several technology points:

Cave goblin technology: thermal driven electricity, light bulbs and wiring.

Dwarven technology: steam power, cog wheel, gunpowder

Gnome technology: fly wheel, rube goldberg-like gadgets

There may be other notable technologies that can be drawn from and included into the inventor scheme. One thing the BTS pointed our clearly is that there would be no industrial revolution like content. That would most likely include any kinds of inventions that would fine tune hand cannons into one-hit KOing guns. Those kinds of inventions aren't interesting and ingenuitive.

Inventors and the Drawing Board

The next section is something I'm interested in delving into because I feel the players will drive the inventor skill in so much as the developing perspective. Through player suggestion, alongside jagex development in initial content. inventor will take its form. I believe players will be able to create their own inventions from a wide variety of in game items.

I also want to set the community discussion and suggestion standard for inventions. If you look at the game runescape has a somewhat serious tone, but at the same time it has many nods and references to worldly things. Runescape is also known for their humorous undertone. Secondly I feel that any invention suggestion has to have a purpose whether it be to make interesting combinations, give shortcuts or even have interesting or odd and humorous effects.

For example one suggestion I feel might make it to the game is the transmute cube. Imagine a device that could hold a certain amount of items. Within this device you place an herb, a second ingredient and a water filled vial. You then close the box, select transmute and you now have a potion! Granted this time of transmute would be done with multiple potions.

I began thinking of a format for posting suggestions and this is what I've come up with:

Invention: Name

Ingredients: Item combinations or combination paths to take to obtain invention.

Purpose: What your invention will do to help you.

Notes: Informs us of other changes or outside influences.

So again another example of an invention would be this:

Invention: Magic Glue

Ingredients: flour, swamp tar, crushed pure essence

Purpose: Holds your simpler inventions together.

Or how about a more humorous invention?

Invention: Eggs-acuter

Ingredients: Ava's device,

Purpose: Helps players create doughs faster by supplying an on hand daily allotment of eggs. Must be recharged.

Note: Recharge costs divine energy.

Or how about something I know people would really like...

Invention: Lesser Forge

Ingredients: Lesser demon soul, 4 limestone bricks, used on a summoned forge reagent

Purpose: Creates a portable furnace for players to use. Must be recharged.

Note: Recharge costs divine energy.

Final Note

Please keep in mind that these are suggestions. If you want any chance of them coming into game they cannot be game-breaking, overpowered or cause an economic strangle hold. Suggestions should be simple, to the point and not overly complex.

I hope you all can come up with some crazy, fun and off the wall inventions! Let your ingenuity run wild. If we are lucky maybe developing jmods will find inspiration through us here on this topic!

Good luck!

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I think first should be the Skill then Elf city, the most i like about the city is new quests, it will be like other cities, first days busy then will be forgotten city like others.. about the skill is all new to the game, this is what we have been waiting for since ages..

EDIT: i'd choose Elf city if Jagex learn how they make females hot like other games. people would stick there with hot elf women. =P

• Like 1

Well, to be frank we aren't discussing the poll or elf city. I had the desire to discuss the inventor skill concept and its developement.

I'm thinking using divine energy to recharge key inventor items is going to be a tie-in of divination. I've been thinking that jagex might have us use regular and enriched memories to help power more larger inventions.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Don't even bother.

It will be 2015 or 16 before they release it because everybody needs to see where Mr. Spock comes from.

• Like 1

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Don't even bother.

It will be 2015 or 16 before they release it because everybody needs to see where Mr. Spock comes from.

Oh, please. Get over the fact that people waited for the Elf City for a dozen or so years and thus are voting for that instead of the skill that will probably be rushed, useless, and (as confirmed) slow to train. Any credibility that Jagex had (and they had plenty with me, because of how ingenious and exciting and enjoyable dungeoneering was for me) was lost when they came out with the abomination that is Divination. They have already stated that that 90 2H weapons will no longer be part of the Invention Skill - which was the allure for a lot of higher level players. 

The Elf City is an extremely important part of lore; it's supposed to be a high-level hub (which is pretty neat), and it's allegedly going to be designed to be a new place that will be a prominent part of gameplay - in that players will be there a lot (unlike cities like, say, Yanille or some in Mortanyia where no one comes to after they do the quests - and most cities in RS are empty anyways)  and it will even have a GE. That's a lot more interesting than some skill that will be poorly designed, that everyone will probably no-life in 2 month and never revisit again. And the Elf City has been confirmed to be accompanied by a VERY massive and special GM quest (that has also been anticipated for years). Let us not forget that in the 2013 poll that Jagex put up, the Wold Wakes came in number one as the most popular update of the year, while divination was not on a similar level. It's clear what sort of stuff people like.

say that all you want but there's equal chance that they'll be rushed or poorly designed, you could say the exact same thing about invention and elf city if you just swap out all of the terms

sloppy closure is still closure though, apparently

• Like 2

8f14270694.jpg

We could pick up an undead chicken at the Phasmatys farm, feed it some overload, bring it to Avalani, then add the chicken-summoning rock to a hand cannon.

• Like 3

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

say that all you want but there's equal chance that they'll be rushed or poorly designed, you could say the exact same thing about invention and elf city if you just swap out all of the terms

sloppy closure is still closure though, apparently

A city seems easier to design than a skill, for Jagex anyways. It's also conceptually more satisfying (though, that's subjective, sure). I don't have too high hopes, but it's been too long, and it deserves to be done for that reason alone if nothing else. They have also completely dropped the ball on quests this past year (less quests in 2013 than any other year), and yet we know they usually have the capacity to do great quests (TWW/ROTM/WGS/BoDM) - so it would be nice for them to go into that direction again. The City will be accompanied by a GM quest. Also, it just seems like a lot of older spots are dead on a lot of worlds (empty banks, empty squares, etc.), it would be nice to have a city where you can actually find some people on again.

Most of my post though, was a measured response to the poster whom I quoted whom I found to be very flippant to an update a lot of people have been anticipating for quite some time.

For inventor, if they added a treadmill that requires 90+ inventor that lets you afk train agility.. I'll be happy. Otherwise, no

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

For inventor, if they added a treadmill that requires 90+ inventor that lets you afk train agility.. I'll be happy. Otherwise, no

Funny thing is they could create an obsticle course invention DD where you build things and then run it for an xp reward.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Funny thing is they could create an obsticle course invention DD where you build things and then run it for an xp reward.

brb building a mobius strip.

• Like 1

My big question is how people are going to powertrain this skill. I mean, are there going to be certain things you can make that will give a lot of experience, making the skill 100% linear? Personally, I'd like to see something that can't be meta'd, but I know that won't happen.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

My big question is how people are going to powertrain this skill. I mean, are there going to be certain things you can make that will give a lot of experience, making the skill 100% linear? Personally, I'd like to see something that can't be meta'd, but I know that won't happen.

They said that despite being a 'buyable' skill, it will be very slow.

Don't even bother.

Oh, please. Get over the fact that people waited for the Elf City for a dozen or so years and thus are voting for that instead of the skill that will probably be rushed, useless, and (as confirmed) slow to train. Any credibility that Jagex had (and they had plenty with me, because of how ingenious and exciting and enjoyable dungeoneering was for me) was lost when they came out with the abomination that is Divination. They have already stated that that 90 2H weapons will no longer be part of the Invention Skill - which was the allure for a lot of higher level players. 

The Elf City is an extremely important part of lore; it's supposed to be a high-level hub (which is pretty neat), and it's allegedly going to be designed to be a new place that will be a prominent part of gameplay - in that players will be there a lot (unlike cities like, say, Yanille or some in Mortanyia where no one comes to after they do the quests - and most cities in RS are empty anyways)  and it will even have a GE. That's a lot more interesting than some skill that will be poorly designed, that everyone will probably no-life in 2 month and never revisit again. And the Elf City has been confirmed to be accompanied by a VERY massive and special GM quest (that has also been anticipated for years). Let us not forget that in the 2013 poll that Jagex put up, the Wold Wakes came in number one as the most popular update of the year, while divination was not on a similar level. It's clear what sort of stuff people like.

I personally think Inventor would be far better for the game. My points are these:

• Inventor could bring to life a lot of other dead production skills. In the latest BTS Mod Moltare mentioned he is keen to tie the other production skills. Whilst we don't know exactly what that means it could bring some life to skills that are currently trained solely for Maxing. 
  • Divination needs it. We have all this energy and almost nothing to do with it. Inventor will create a need for this energy and dare I say it make Divination profitable for skillers.
  • Inventor will most probably be accessible to anyone at any level. I think it's silly to make an update as large as a skill and chuck loads of requirements on it so only some can access it.

My reasons for not caring about the elf city are:

• We don't need it. Why do we need a hub for higher leveled players? I really don't see the point.
  • Why do we need another GE?
  • This point is going to be a little bias as I do personally hate quests but can we really compare a quest to a new skill? At the end of the day quests are temporary content that you cannot revisit. 

Anyways that's my view on the discussion. It has to be said there is a lot of speculation on both sides of the debate so perhaps when more details are release it may make more sense to me as to why the elf city is winning  :-P

• Like 1

rohanlord.png

They also said they intend on the 'buyable' part of the skill only contributing a small percentage bonus to XP rates.

maraxussig4.png

They also said they intend on the 'buyable' part of the skill only contributing a small percentage bonus to XP rates.

I have a hunch that is similar to the buyable part divination has.

• Like 1

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

I'm thinking divine energy will be a resource that adds charges to our invention allowing it to operate and do their thing.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

i have been waiting for Elf city since Runescape Classic (that's even before Runescape 2), now can't wait a bit longer? it would be good for '14 holidays.. NOW BRING THE NEW SKILL JAGEX, to be honest i used to love quests that's why i kept playing runescape since 2001 but now days are useless no special about quests anymore.. maybe (lets hope) new skill bring something new to the game...

i wanna fight with 5 daggers in one hand or 3 longswords in one hand, how about 2 2-handed weapon in one hand? haha.. everything is possible with new runescape engine ;P

that would be a good idea. make the less used bolts do near t90 damage with effects. like onyx. great healing with t 80 damage

That sort of thing could work as an addition in the same sense as the longbow sight: you could add it to any crossbow and get the effect. Maybe it should sacrifice (direct) damage for an increase to the special effects? So your onyx bolts aren't going to have ~T90 damage, but they will have better healing. Maybe add bane effects, too? I totally do not have a fetish for bane effects

To fill out your form:

Invention: Bolt Improvement Engine... Actual name pending, based on the kind of flavor we want.
Ingredients: clockworks, wire, and a Dorgeshuun light orb. Once attached, requires divine energy of the same tier as your crossbow as fuel
Purpose: As above

Notes: Recipe earned after Seers easy for levels 1-20. Medium adds 30-50, hard adds 60-75, elite adds 80 and above. Can be detached at will, same as longbow sights, though doing so removes its charges.

...I have no idea how to balance this. sFwNzfq.gif