Polls General Discussion

Maxingmck

they made it lower because they see it as another introductory quest branch (albeit at midrange because digging into ancient things of unimaginable power is at least midrange), and while zaros was involved with mah, the other elder gods aren't entirely connected to him until the forks merge back into the main arc

it'd be higher if we skip straight to digging up elder gods but that's not really proper is it now

but i think it'd be cool if we had another lore hub like ali that builds on each part, unless we just want to hand everything to him because eh

• Like 1

8f14270694.jpg

The point behind the research quest is that it would be the starter quest for the Elder God series. You won't need to have done the FotG questline to start it, and as long as they steer it away from mah they can really just start the questline new since we don't know too much about the others. I'm guessing the post quest FotG content is reporting our findings to Azzy and maybe also reporting other stuff like tzhaar bookcase or fighting the dragonkin jas curse in OoaK.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Up-coming polls:

Free SGS Item for Members in July

Diamond

Each month, Solomon makes one of the items in his General Store free to RS members. Which item would you most like to get in July?

The Professor

Vote to choose this crackling hairstyle.

Masterwork music box

Choose for this piece of reusable equipment: Place in the world, and dance with your friends!

Fox Outfit

A cosmetic outfit override, cunningly crafted for stealth and style.

Headbutt Mining

Overrides mining animations. "Thok teach weaklings how to dig for shinies!" -Thok

[survey] Lore Books

Ruby

Do in game books containing lore about the game world add to your enjoyment?

This poll will allow us to identify if Lore books are used by the community and judge the amount of time we should use writing them (if at all).

I love them!

I hungrily devour every book I can get my hands on!

They're okay

I read some of them if I feel like it.

Collect, don't read

I want to own them all, but I don't read the text.

Not interested

They're not important to me and I don't really interact with them.

I hate them!

I would prefer that they weren't in the game at all.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Personally i think either the masterwork music box or the fox outfit should be the winner. Im leaning towards the outfit though...

And the lore books are amazing for adding depth.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Is there honestly a need to survey if the community cares about lore books ...

I have to vote for headbutt mining because I have everything else. RIP.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Is there honestly a need to survey if the community cares about lore books ...

They could be judging the strength of it to see if they should tie more effort into it.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

it sure is weird for them to put up items that people actually buy as a reward

maybe sales have already peaked months ago?

Its supposed to be a freebie for P2P members and has been something of a trend expectation set by the community. I think in all honestly they just anti-up for the paying it forward to the population by giving them one of the least selling pieces so it can be appreciated by more instead of being lost in the shuffle.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

If this means people vote they'd rather see books removed from the game, and Jagex stops making books I'm going to be so sad - the books are fantastic, and in Skyrim I read every book I found, whatever theme they were in.

Jagex was doing so well on these polls and then they went and became dumb again.

Things like the news poll and quest reqs poll for 'gathering data' would supply utterly useless data because they did not allow us to pick multiple options.

And then something like this - if this feeds in to dev tactics I'll be so angry. Yes it is a given a lot of players do not care about the lore, that is WHY lore is put into books and secondary things that you do not HAVE to read and understand to progress in-game. If you start putting less effort in to that because a bad option wins you are just giving the middle finger to all of us who DO care about the lore.

• Like 7

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

IMO, Lore Books are essential to game play. I am hoping that this poll is merely aimed at determining how much effort they put into them, as opposed to not making any more of them at all.

nyuseg.png

I hope Jagex will take a look at the lore-minded population of the playerbase (through this poll) and takes notice how that particular population votes in lore-polls. Just to avoid the stupid majority [bleep]ing up all the lore and stories.

This poll appears to corroborate a number of insights and issues that I have had, and continue to have, with the whole “power to the players” idea – and this includes the original poll to “bring back” free-trade and the wilderness. 

As a regular on the role-playing server (World 42), I am often struck by how much the role-players add to my gaming experience and how much more enjoyable it is for me as a result.  Although I am not a role-player myself – as I am simply not that creative -- these people do really “live” the game, and they help provide me with a very entertaining backdrop to my daily gameplay. 

That said, I have encountered a number of players who openly express a complete disinterest in the lore, and the game’s numerous storylines – including the vast majority of quests – and I have even seen them on W42 openly expressing such disinterest. Although why such people with such an attitude would play on W42, entirely escapes me …  :huh:

Nonetheless, this appears, once again, to be another of those instances in which the “overwhelming majority” of players demonstrate that they care little about the game – i.e. the “state of the game”, or “the quality of game” – and would much rather just “play the game”. This is not a criticism of those who just want to “play the game”, nor is it any reflection on those, like myself, who actually care about the back story and lore, and enjoy the atmosphere it adds to their gaming experience. 

Sadly though, I have come to the realization that, not only am I in the minority – I am in the “overwhelmed minority” …  <_<
  • Like 3

nyuseg.png

I don't know if you are in the overwhelming minority here as the "I love them" option is hast the second most votes. I personally don't read many of the books, I'm really not sure why as I do actually love the lure and read all dialog and try to follow the story lines, but it is something about the books I just don't read.... However I did pick the "I love them" option (even though, collect, not read describes me more) because I want to support the books and the lure because may someday I will go back and read these books. They are after all in my bookshelf in my house right? I could grab up a few and sit down by the fire in my house and read away for a while.

My actual issue with the lore is I completed so many of the quests years and years ago that I honestly just don't remember much of the content. If anyone here has a place I could go to maybe read up on the storyline, to help bring me up to speed of some of the happenings of the world I would appreciate it. I know the more recent stuff, but for example I don't remember anything with west ardy or the elves as I completed those quests forever ago. But would be interested in reading up on the lore around it so I can remember for the new elf city.

I don't know if I am the average player, but maybe this will help shed a little light on what some other players may be thinking when they don't read the lore.

90.png

---------------------------- ';..;' ----------------------------

max.png

Go back to OSRS and play through all the quests again :P they definitely helped to refresh my memory, and I appreciated some of the small jokes more.

6Ij0n.jpg

Have they aged well? I'd imagine that most (if not all) older quests have an entirely different tone to them than the current ones (more personal/heroic fantasy than epic, universe-spanning high fantasy?), even before getting into the rewrites, revisions, and expansions that the lore as a whole has gone through over the years.

They still excited and engaged me, but I'm not sure if that was because I simply preferred the older writing style which was more personal/heroic fantasy as you've described.

6Ij0n.jpg

while i liked the old quests, they relied a lot on there still being mystery in gielinor, instead of interacting with shit on the level of the elder gods, so i'm not sure if we can really go back, unless it's sidequest material like pirates or penguins, of which a lot of people seem to be annoyed at because it's sidequest material

8f14270694.jpg

while i liked the old quests, they relied a lot on there still being mystery in gielinor, instead of interacting with shit on the level of the elder gods, so i'm not sure if we can really go back, unless it's sidequest material like pirates or penguins, of which a lot of people seem to be annoyed at because it's sidequest material

Those were two of the main storylines before the Gods/Elder God storylines started though.

Sylpheed.png

I'm replaying the older quests on my noob. I'm really surprised at how well most of them hold up. Been playing since late 05 so most of these I barely had any memory of but they were quite interesting. Some do have a different tone, like zamorak seemingly being evil for no reason. I even enjoyed Salt in the Wound puzzle wise and the pillar ending wasn't as bad as I remembered so idk. I think a lot of them are still enjoyable even though the game's tone has changed, and I think some of the humour has carried through throughout the years.

With the recent change to multi-log rule you can buy bonds if you you don't want to pay for a new membership for a noob account.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19