Polls General Discussion

Maxingmck

I can definitely understand why RoP lost (I voted for Seren, of course). I remember listening to the podcast for the RoP pitch, and it didn't sound exciting at all. Visit Armadyl's homeland (which has Citadels in it or whatever, islands floating in the sky), they have some water shortage and you have to help them with that. Sounds fairly uninteresting to me. Jagex is notoriously bad with introducing self-contained areas for quests which have no tangible benefits or reasons to revisit them after the quest is done, and so you go, do the quest and never revisit the area or think about it again. Don't see the appeal in that. Prayers and the spells on the other hand seem very appealing.

People also underestimate the fact that more people might actually prefer Seren lore to Armadyl lore. I wouldn't be surprised if Seren is a far more popular god than Armadyl (much like Zaros is more popular than Sara who in turn is more popular than Zammy). Elf-related stuff has always been popular for this reason. So it wasn't simply a case of people rejecting lore altogether.

I certainly believe myself to understand why RoP lost as well. That the Seren quest was far more attractive should be obvious to all and everyone. However, I don't share your viewpoint on that the quest "didn't sound exciting at all". Certainly I can agree on that a quest along the format of One Small Favour where you go fetch a bucket of water for aviansie X and then complete the quest would be quite boring. RoP does however, as I am sure you are aware of, contain way more than that. It has been stated by Mod Raven that the actual Rite of Passage "story-part" would just be roughly 1/3 of the quest. And though I do agree on that Jagex has been bad at creating reasons for people to head back to self-contained quest-areas, Abbinah would in my opinion be different. It was/is going to be one big world, with lots of islands to explore, and a village. Of course I can't say exactly what would be contained, but me and my fellow submitters of the idea had quite a few plans, which I am sure of Jagex would have at least accepted a few if RoP was to have won. Ideas which we are now working on detailing as for a new version of the RoP suggestion.

Obviously the Seren Quest is going to contain lore as well, but I do strongly believe that if the Seren Quest had been just about learning more about Seren that quest would have performed even worse than RoP. I even doubt it would have reached 10%. Of course, this is my own opinion, and I am basing it on my view/experience of the community.

As for your point of Seren potentially having a larger following than Armadyl, I disagree again. When travelling throughout Gielinor I meet very few Serenists compared to Armadyleans. I believe this was also clear in the official statistics from Jagex on how many "followers" each emissary from the different factions had (I couldn't find the link, but wasn't it stated in a stream? I don't remember).

People also underestimate the fact that more people might actually prefer Seren lore to Armadyl lore. I wouldn't be surprised if Seren is a far more popular god than Armadyl (much like Zaros is more popular than Sara who in turn is more popular than Zammy). Elf-related stuff has always been popular for this reason. So it wasn't simply a case of people rejecting lore altogether.

I think it's less about popularity (there is still plenty of that though, or we'd have let it go) and more that it was proposed and then shoved into the same perpetual delay folder as the construction rework and such. Same kind of thing as the Inventor poll, except we probably would have had the Seren expansion even if it didn't win and they can't really gut a lore quest for a TH promotion.

It also seems like it's polling the rewards when it shouldn't be, since the elf quest is more or less just a vehicle for those rewards. No shit, more people are going to want reusable endgame content than the niche lore quest, because most players really don't care about the lore.

I still don't get this dichotomy between lore and rewards. Yes, the Seren quest has rewards, but it's also going to have a decent bit of lore. Even if the rewards weren't mentioned, I'd be willing to wager there's a decent chance the Seren quest would have still won, as elf related stuff is generally very popular. It's not like by voting against RoP people have voted against lore.

Elf related stuff is popular because of Prifddinas. Seren has gained in popularity because people associate her quite a lot with XP nowadays. It has very, very little to do with lore.

I should finally mention here that I and my fellow aviansies are looking for suggestions as for post-quest content at Abbinah. We believe this may help the next version of RoP-suggestion we are putting together for RuneLabs. All feedback is welcome, either on this thread or on the RSOF. Link: [qfc]16-17-334-65378547[/qfc]

Elf related stuff has been popular long before Prifddinas came out, and that's one of the reasons why we got the city in the first place: because people kept clamoring for it.

As for the Avianse homeworld being lots of Islands to explore; I seriously doubt they'd be able to create a compelling area that people would want to revisit after the quest was completed. Priff is the only exception over the years, and that took them ages to complete, and I don't think they have anything like that on the horizon anytime soon.

I have always believed myself to have an in-general much more positive view on Jagex than most of the Tip.It Forum's community. Once again I seem to get that confirmed here.

Certainly Prifddinas was wanted, but mainly by a small group of players who really wanted to finish off the quest series. It wasn't until Jagex started to really show off their plans with all the OP XP stuff that everyone got hyped for it. Yet, it barely won the poll against inventor (53% or something very close to that I believe, while Inventor had ike 46%?). Rewards, especially if it includes pretty much the best xp rates in game, > Lore.

Why wouldn't Abbinah be able to become a "compelling area", especially if the development process includes player suggestions? Jagex has indeed created Prifddinas, showing that they have learnt. Why be so negative? I get the sense that you simply wish for Jagex to create areas like Yu'Biusk v.1 where you never head again unless you wish to do a 5-second-miniquest.

Abbinah has a ton of potential. Trust me. And if you still don't, remember that Prifddinas was shaped the way it was based on a lot of player ideas/suggestions. Why not help by contributing with some proper ideas yourself, for example, instead of racking down on others? 

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I dont see menaphos being a high level hub. If anything menaphos will be a niche city and thats the highest hope you could see achieved. They will invent some use for it for mid level players to bridge some usability gaps between other major cities and priff. Whether it be a reimagined one or one of convenience who knows.

Well, it has a lot of potential, given the info we already have about it, I even made a small list of things the city could include somewhere on RSOF and most people loved it. If the city would get released somewhere in the future, Jagex would certainly want to give the place some potential as it's too a city locked behind a long quest series and they don't want to waste all their resources on a city that won't get used.

Found it!

I'd love to see the Desert Quests come to a finale and finally be able to enter Menaphos. It's been a long time since we got a continuation on this series, far too long.

I understand the fear that Prifddinas or Menaphos would compete with each other for content, but that's probably not the case. We can look at other skills, other directives. Just a few of my ideas I came up in a moment:

-High Level fishing, by boarding a ship (the same as in Ashdale, or Dhows) to the Eastern Sea and fishing in the open sea in a Seren Stone-eque fashion, all fish gathered would go to the company the ship works for.

-Luxury objects crafting as a high level Crafting update: create artifacts in Egyptian style, Eastern style or a combination of both. Ingredients and wares are bought and sold by traders around the merchant quarters, the skill plot for making the wares is some kind of harbour factory next to the docks. I presume this to be a high exp but highly costly way to gain Crafting exp.

-Beneath the slums is a necropolis where a new slayer monster resides, Amascut's Beasts, with soul sucking abilities, you use the catacombs small alleys to get ahead of the monster and take it down.

-For Sophanem: Embalming Prayer training: a way to train Prayer and Herblore at a costly way but with a good amount of exp. You prepare corpses by embalming them, taking away organs and preserving them in canopy jars, making etherous oils and ointments, finally draping the corpses in linen. I presume you buy the (stackable) ingredients in a temple and get exp for each mummy created (in some sort of work station like at clan citadels).

-Maybe even the soul altar, considering this is a large aspect of the Desert Series. It could be a holy site like the Ka'aba in Mecca.

-Hanging Gardens in the Imperial District for Farming exp, where you mostly prune plants and keep it alive via a watering system.

Add some beatiful scenery with various Egyptian assets like we have many in Desert (Al Kharid and the interior of the Scabaras/Het/PP rooms), and the same kind of port like the one in Ashdale, add some banks, and you'll have a city a lot of people would use I guess.

I can definitely understand why RoP lost (I voted for Seren, of course). I remember listening to the podcast for the RoP pitch, and it didn't sound exciting at all. Visit Armadyl's homeland (which has Citadels in it or whatever, islands floating in the sky), they have some water shortage and you have to help them with that. Sounds fairly uninteresting to me. Jagex is notoriously bad with introducing self-contained areas for quests which have no tangible benefits or reasons to revisit them after the quest is done, and so you go, do the quest and never revisit the area or think about it again. Don't see the appeal in that. Prayers and the spells on the other hand seem very appealing.

I certainly believe myself to understand why RoP lost as well. That the Seren quest was far more attractive should be obvious to all and everyone. However, I don't share your viewpoint on that the quest "didn't sound exciting at all". Certainly I can agree on that a quest along the format of One Small Favour where you go fetch a bucket of water for aviansie X and then complete the quest would be quite boring. RoP does however, as I am sure you are aware of, contain way more than that. It has been stated by Mod Raven that the actual Rite of Passage "story-part" would just be roughly 1/3 of the quest. And though I do agree on that Jagex has been bad at creating reasons for people to head back to self-contained quest-areas, Abbinah would in my opinion be different. It was/is going to be one big world, with lots of islands to explore, and a village. Of course I can't say exactly what would be contained, but me and my fellow submitters of the idea had quite a few plans, which I am sure of Jagex would have at least accepted a few if RoP was to have won. Ideas which we are now working on detailing as for a new version of the RoP suggestion.

Obviously the Seren Quest is going to contain lore as well, but I do strongly believe that if the Seren Quest had been just about learning more about Seren that quest would have performed even worse than RoP. I even doubt it would have reached 10%. Of course, this is my own opinion, and I am basing it on my view/experience of the community.

As for your point of Seren potentially having a larger following than Armadyl, I disagree again. When travelling throughout Gielinor I meet very few Serenists compared to Armadyleans. I believe this was also clear in the official statistics from Jagex on how many "followers" each emissary from the different factions had (I couldn't find the link, but wasn't it stated in a stream? I don't remember).

I think it's less about popularity (there is still plenty of that though, or we'd have let it go) and more that it was proposed and then shoved into the same perpetual delay folder as the construction rework and such. Same kind of thing as the Inventor poll, except we probably would have had the Seren expansion even if it didn't win and they can't really gut a lore quest for a TH promotion.

It also seems like it's polling the rewards when it shouldn't be, since the elf quest is more or less just a vehicle for those rewards. No shit, more people are going to want reusable endgame content than the niche lore quest, because most players really don't care about the lore.

I still don't get this dichotomy between lore and rewards. Yes, the Seren quest has rewards, but it's also going to have a decent bit of lore. Even if the rewards weren't mentioned, I'd be willing to wager there's a decent chance the Seren quest would have still won, as elf related stuff is generally very popular. It's not like by voting against RoP people have voted against lore.

Elf related stuff is popular because of Prifddinas. Seren has gained in popularity because people associate her quite a lot with XP nowadays. It has very, very little to do with lore.

I should finally mention here that I and my fellow aviansies are looking for suggestions as for post-quest content at Abbinah. We believe this may help the next version of RoP-suggestion we are putting together for RuneLabs. All feedback is welcome, either on this thread or on the RSOF. Link: [qfc]16-17-334-65378547[/qfc]

Elf related stuff has been popular long before Prifddinas came out, and that's one of the reasons why we got the city in the first place: because people kept clamoring for it.

As for the Avianse homeworld being lots of Islands to explore; I seriously doubt they'd be able to create a compelling area that people would want to revisit after the quest was completed. Priff is the only exception over the years, and that took them ages to complete, and I don't think they have anything like that on the horizon anytime soon.

I have always believed myself to have an in-general much more positive view on Jagex than most of the Tip.It Forum's community. Once again I seem to get that confirmed here.

Certainly Prifddinas was wanted, but mainly by a small group of players who really wanted to finish off the quest series. It wasn't until Jagex started to really show off their plans with all the OP XP stuff that everyone got hyped for it. Yet, it barely won the poll against inventor (53% or something very close to that I believe, while Inventor had ike 46%?). Rewards, especially if it includes pretty much the best xp rates in game, > Lore.

Why wouldn't Abbinah be able to become a "compelling area", especially if the development process includes player suggestions? Jagex has indeed created Prifddinas, showing that they have learnt. Why be so negative? I get the sense that you simply wish for Jagex to create areas like Yu'Biusk v.1 where you never head again unless you wish to do a 5-second-miniquest.

Abbinah has a ton of potential. Trust me. And if you still don't, remember that Prifddinas was shaped the way it was based on a lot of player ideas/suggestions. Why not help by contributing with some proper ideas yourself, for example, instead of racking down on others? 

It's not so much negativity as a realistic assessment of what sorts of things Jagex will release this year and what sorts of resources each project will get. From their various BTS' RoP never seemed anything more than a medium sized one-and-done quest.

I do think you underestimate the popularity of the Elf City, but I will agree to disagree. Either way, that sort of project was a once in a 5 year type of deal. I don't expect them to release anything like that any time soon.

As for why Abbinah can't become a compelling area: that's just wishful thinking. RoP was slated to be a medium sized project, not at all comparable to Elf City. They aren't going to devote the sort of resources that would be needed to develop another supercity anytime soon. Recall the massive amount of J Mods who worked on Priff from all those Behind the Scenes/Runefest videos. The only way to make it re-visitable would be to add 'OP' training methods and those are going to have to be carefully designed, considered, and balanced against existing training methods, just like Elf City was. And frankly I don't even blame them; they just finished Priff (and in fact there are a few changes still to come) - surely they aren't going to try to trump it so soon. They'll actually wait until it's exhausted somewhat, and that's the smart thing to do.

RoP is for the most part a pet project for one particular J Mod and animator or two. I don't see them putting any more resources or people on it.

I don't think I have racked down on anyone else's ideas. I am sorry if I came across that way, but that was not my intention.

It's not so much negativity as a realistic assessment of what sorts of things Jagex will release this year and what sorts of resources each project will get. From their various BTS' RoP never seemed anything more than a medium sized one-and-done quest.

I do think you underestimate the popularity of the Elf City, but I will agree to disagree. Either way, that sort of project was a once in a 5 year type of deal. I don't expect them to release anything like that any time soon.

As for why Abbinah can't become a compelling area: that's just wishful thinking. RoP was slated to be a medium sized project, not at all comparable to Elf City. They aren't going to devote the sort of resources that would be needed to develop another supercity anytime soon. Recall the massive amount of J Mods who worked on Priff from all those Behind the Scenes/Runefest videos. The only way to make it re-visitable would be to add 'OP' training methods and those are going to have to be carefully designed, considered, and balanced against existing training methods, just like Elf City was. And frankly I don't even blame them; they just finished Priff (and in fact there are a few changes still to come) - surely they aren't going to try to trump it so soon. They'll actually wait until it's exhausted somewhat, and that's the smart thing to do.

RoP is for the most part a pet project for one particular J Mod and animator or two. I don't see them putting any more resources or people on it.

I don't think I have racked down on anyone else's ideas. I am sorry if I came across that way, but that was not my intention.

Abbinah is first of all not a city. It is a world, something I know you know of as well. A world which may of course not be complete at the first release, but can very well be expanded, multiple times. Now, I don't either believe it will be Prifddinas size at the first release. Neither I am sure there'll be something along the lines of Seren Stones or combination potions or the Max Guild at Abbinah. But what I am sure of that if RoP was to win a Large, or XL, RuneLabs competition, Abbinah would be designed in a way that wouldn't make it immediate dead content. You fail to see the potential it has.

Describing RoP as a "pet project" may very well be true for the present. If it would actually get to be made though it would have nothing less but a whole development team working on it (Seren Quest is a perfect example). With Mod Raven leading it, most probably.

Also, RoP has been stated multiple times by various JMods to be the first in a series, that's the whole reasoning behind it having quite low reqs (Level 30-ish).

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Well, it has a lot of potential, given the info we already have about it, I even made a small list of things the city could include somewhere on RSOF and most people loved it. If the city would get released somewhere in the future, Jagex would certainly want to give the place some potential as it's too a city locked behind a long quest series and they don't want to waste all their resources on a city that won't get used.

Found it!

I'd love to see the Desert Quests come to a finale and finally be able to enter Menaphos. It's been a long time since we got a continuation on this series, far too long.

I understand the fear that Prifddinas or Menaphos would compete with each other for content, but that's probably not the case. We can look at other skills, other directives. Just a few of my ideas I came up in a moment:

-High Level fishing, by boarding a ship (the same as in Ashdale, or Dhows) to the Eastern Sea and fishing in the open sea in a Seren Stone-eque fashion, all fish gathered would go to the company the ship works for.

-Luxury objects crafting as a high level Crafting update: create artifacts in Egyptian style, Eastern style or a combination of both. Ingredients and wares are bought and sold by traders around the merchant quarters, the skill plot for making the wares is some kind of harbour factory next to the docks. I presume this to be a high exp but highly costly way to gain Crafting exp.

-Beneath the slums is a necropolis where a new slayer monster resides, Amascut's Beasts, with soul sucking abilities, you use the catacombs small alleys to get ahead of the monster and take it down.

-For Sophanem: Embalming Prayer training: a way to train Prayer and Herblore at a costly way but with a good amount of exp. You prepare corpses by embalming them, taking away organs and preserving them in canopy jars, making etherous oils and ointments, finally draping the corpses in linen. I presume you buy the (stackable) ingredients in a temple and get exp for each mummy created (in some sort of work station like at clan citadels).

-Maybe even the soul altar, considering this is a large aspect of the Desert Series. It could be a holy site like the Ka'aba in Mecca.

-Hanging Gardens in the Imperial District for Farming exp, where you mostly prune plants and keep it alive via a watering system.

Add some beatiful scenery with various Egyptian assets like we have many in Desert (Al Kharid and the interior of the Scabaras/Het/PP rooms), and the same kind of port like the one in Ashdale, add some banks, and you'll have a city a lot of people would use I guess.

Wow, I can see why Rowley is dying to get on with the Desert Series.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Your ideas are great additions, but in my opinion they dont connect well with the culture and experiences of the area. I feel that some ideas could be worked in, but i dont see menaphites as slayers or farmers. You definitely have potential as fishers, thieves, crafters, miners and and maybe herbalists.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

The slaying part is because of the connection with Sumona/Amascut, and Thieving because all the rest of the theme fits into Egyptian/old Middle Eastern culture, the hanging Gardens of Babylon seemed like a good idea to me, especially as it could be the garden of the elitist part of the city. :p Also, Menaphos is the capital of the desert, the crown jewel of the area, it deserves some nice extra features, partly because they, as a city can operate totally independant. Of course, it are just ideas I got, but as I said: there's a lot of potential with the area.

None of it sounded out of place to me.

All fits in nicely with Egyptian-ish themes with some nice touches of something more that sets this the capital of the desert empire apart from the other settlements of the area.

Heck to me you could even get away with having some meadows/crop fields in a lush pocket south of the city that provides a mix or some form of farm,herb and maybe magic or rc xp by helping them sustain the fertility of the area to provide food for all their people - maybe could be linked to the soul altar through the notion of the 'soul' of the land its a lush fertile place before it was forcibly made barren as per existing lore.

Farming definitely seems to have legs to it be it either show off through plants showing riches or the more practical food for the kingdom - after all Menaphos is both the capital AND capable of sealing itself off from all outside by self-sustaining. (As is their current state) 

Crafting to me would make a lot of sense with a focus on pottery and glass - fits with the whole egyptian theme plus lots of sand about for glass work that they would perhaps have instead of the gold and silver and gemstones we are used to.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Indeed, all you've said is basically I wanted to express in my ideas! :D Great to see likeminded fellows. Especially on the glass and pottery, I really wanted those as a main focus when crafting, and I wanted to throw some Eastern themed stuff as they traded heavily with the Eastern parts of the world, creating some funky fusion art styles.

Basically a city like what Alexandria was before the Romans took control over it.

I liked your slayer idea, but i dont see the people of the area as slayers. I wouldnt be surprised to see menaphos as more militarized and sophanem as a protective communal area though.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Yeah, I also don't think of the people of Menaphos or Sophanem very "into" killing monsters. I just thought because the quest storyline is largely about Amascut's involvement with slayer, death and the underworld, some terryfiying soul devouring demon in the catacombs could be a fun reward. :p The citizens would probably not even know what dangers lurk beneath their feet, same as the people of Polivneach have no idea there a whole dungeon filled with slayer monsters in their well.

Well suppose amascut was planning to collide gielinor with the demon homeworld releasing the demons into gielinor by use of a massive portal fed by the anima mundi. Through her own collaboration with the portal over the years offshoots of strange creatures came forth from other worlds to fill the caverns.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing with shark costume in a waterfall - sounds like win to me.

Not when you consider that its probably going to be like seren stones with little form to function other than for higher xp rates.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

gonna have to whip out my bear head for waterfall fishing i think

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

Wow what an amazing poll we have:

- Priffdinian waterfall fishing

- Wandering slayer mastery

- POH museum room

Personally I like the museum idea best, but I'm leary of letting them go down that path again.

Back after a 5 year TIF hiatus. Please don't mind me too much.

At least the museum idea has some more room for long-term use as it is a bank-clearing thing that could work akin to costume room for many useful post-quest/future quest items - think cramulet, bullroarer, commorb that sort of thing.

Longevity can also be gained via association with a variety of quests instead of arbitrarily long grind-to-get stuff.

Not sure where I'll vote yet, only one I'm not keen on is the slayer master personally; the fact museum made it to poll gives me hope the greenhouse can make it in the near future though. (Y'know that room idea that had n actual use to it but aquarium junk won). Quite like the idea of the waterfall fishing, especially as that waterfall location in priff just seems insane to leave to do nothing in a corner of the city you don't even run through at any point really as efficient routing between crwys and meilyr tends to go via inner ring.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I vote for the museum.

Force enough poh content for them to get annoyed with it and rework the skill :-)

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I vote for the museum.

Force enough poh content for them to get annoyed with it and rework the skill :-)

I'd of thought poh content would have the opposite effect - it's had updates therefore its a lesser priority on the whole for upgrading with newness. Especially as player support for new rooms could easily, in jagex 'facts', mean players support and like poh as they are now and therefore it shouldnt be reworked.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Wait, there's now a request for a museum?

In a house?

Have these kids writing up these ideas ever actually been to a museum or aquarium? Do they not get the size of them is generally as large as one average residential home all on its own E: if not much, much larger?

This is getting ridiculous.

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

In a house?

Have these kids writing up these ideas ever actually been to a museum or aquarium? Do they not get the size of them is generally as large as one average residential home all on its own?

Yea, think I'd have rather had a new floor to the actual museum

• Like 2

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Could be awesome if they would be allowed to add a room to the existing ground floor room, via the door. The room could be 2x2 so four times the space.

Back after a 5 year TIF hiatus. Please don't mind me too much.

In a house?

Have these kids writing up these ideas ever actually been to a museum or aquarium? Do they not get the size of them is generally as large as one average residential home all on its own?

Hey, remember when the quest hall served that purpose? No? Okay then, back to crying about the old stuff being obsolete

• Like 3