4 April 2014 - Mod MMG on Myths and Misconceptions

Leik

Drum is complaining on the hlf atm how his average is closer to 17 hours, not 13 L

Two points:

1) This contradicts Jagex... if only we knew how they'd obtained the figures in the first place!

2) [bleep] me. I don't want to sound offensive, but... that is one of the most tragic complaints I have ever heard in my life. And working in healthcare, I've heard quite a few!

• Like 4

Drum is complaining on the hlf atm how his average is closer to 17 hours, not 13 L

Two points:

1) This contradicts Jagex... if only we knew how they'd obtained the figures in the first place!

2) [bleep] me. I don't want to sound offensive, but... that is one of the most tragic complaints I have ever heard in my life. And working in healthcare, I've heard quite a few!

I'd be irritated too. But sadly my avg/hrs dropped when I went on hiatus for 2 years and the bankstanding from the last 2 months prior to going on hiatus.

I was averaging 16 hours/day for nearly 2 years. I did home study and all I did was eat/sleep/scape and 1-2 hours of having to go to "school" for testing once a week.

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

Only 1% have over 1billion GP? A large chunk of players I know and know-of have well over hundreds of millions. I'm pretty sure it's at least more then 1% anyway.

Popoto.~<3

I'm surprised it's as high as 1%... Maybe 3 years ago it was closer to 0.5%- the majority of them dicers.

I believe there's less than 20 players with 100b+, and maybe 1 or 2 with 200b+

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

It would be better if it were standardised. Right now you have to assume they're including everyone into the mix. So people who play for forty minutes a day after school are effectively being compared against Drum, for example. There will be plenty and plenty of "poor" accounts swimming around, but if you were to standardise the results to make the amount of time each account plays comparable, you might get a much larger figure than 1%.

Wonder if they're gonna keep making bosses with 1B+ drops if less than 1% of the community can appreciate the updates lol

I thought this as well - if they full well know only 1% of the population has 1b+ gp how can they NOT do something about Vorago and Seismic Wands considering the market of players with 90 magic far far exceeds 1% and it is ridiculously imbalanced compared to all the other t90 gear.

It also rings as stupid when with quest etc they keep banging on about not doing this or that or the other because it'd be to exclusive or to limited in who could enjoy it, but a wand only 1% of the population can afford? Not a problem apparently even though its more than triple the value of every single other piece of weaponry within its tier.

It would be better if it were standardised. Right now you have to assume they're including everyone into the mix. So people who play for forty minutes a day after school are effectively being compared against Drum, for example. There will be plenty and plenty of "poor" accounts swimming around, but if you were to standardise the results to make the amount of time each account plays comparable, you might get a much larger figure than 1%.

I fail to see how this would do anything.
The statistic is showing how many players right here right now have 1b+ out of the entire player base.
Standardising it to hypothetically upscale the playtime of lesser players to boost the percentage wouldn't really tell us anything - the fact is they do not play that much and have not played that much and do not have 1b+, manipulating the stats through standardisation to be 'better' would only obscure the actual data of the proportion of accounts with 1b+.
  • Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

What's their definition of 1% of players, anyway? 1% of 200+ million accounts? That's 2 million players with 1 billion plus.

What's their definition of 1 billion GP in total wealth too? If it's calculated using the same method that the wealth calculator uses, then this statistic is completely pointless.

• Like 4

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I'm surprised it's as high as 1%... Maybe 3 years ago it was closer to 0.5%- the majority of them dicers.

I believe there's less than 20 players with 100b+, and maybe 1 or 2 with 200b+

The richest player I know has a 600b~ bank.

The second richest player I know has a 400b~ bank. ( http://a.pomf.se/vhcylv.png )

I'm quite certain there are a number of people with 200b+ banks. 

I think the 600b~ bank is the richest, active, RS player. At least... I've never heard of or seen any richer.

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

What's their definition of 1% of players, anyway? 1% of 200+ million accounts? That's 2 million players with 1 billion plus.

What's their definition of 1 billion GP in total wealth too? If it's calculated using the same method that the wealth calculator uses, then this statistic is completely pointless.

Thats what I was wondering too. Is it just 1b+ gp sitting on their accounts, or 1b including items, and if it includes items then are untradeables still highly inflated. 

Also, I wonder how many of those players really feel like billionaires. If you have a bunch of skilling supplies and combat stuff that you're saving but low gp you might think you're poorer because it can be hard to see how much your bank really holds.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

I expect the 1% statistic is approximately correct.

What surprises most people is how many people are 'extremely' wealthy. I.e. # of players with more than let's say, 20B. Going from 0 - 1B can take far longer than 1-20, but people don't often take that into account.

Also many people get involved in these kinds of communities, e.g. TipIt, HLF or a certain clan or fc, or IRC channel or teamspeak or whatever, which by their very nature tend to encourage people to stay around RS and keep playing. So these communities typically evolve to contain almost exclusively very high level players. This influences people's perception of what is average, as the people they are around on a daily basis are not 'average'. I expect this contributes to the "lol everyone in rs is rich these days" thing.

• Like 2

Asmodean <3

The age break down was rather surprising.  Mostly the fact that over 26 and over is 23% of the community.  Granted I am 6 months away from falling into that category myself.  THought there would have been a large amount of younger players.  

peever142.png

The age break down was rather surprising.  Mostly the fact that over 26 and over is 23% of the community.  Granted I am 6 months away from falling into that category myself.  THought there would have been a large amount of younger players.  

I fit into that bracket, it's probably all the teenagers that got hooked on the game right at the beginning and have became loyal to the game haha!

The age break down was rather surprising. Mostly the fact that over 26 and over is 23% of the community. Granted I am 6 months away from falling into that category myself. THought there would have been a large amount of younger players.

I fit into that bracket, it's probably all the teenagers that got hooked on the game right at the beginning and have became loyal to the game haha!

I know a number of older players who joined because the game wasn't as "twitchy" as other MMOs, or because their kids played.

Exactly what it is.  Been playing since 2002 myself lol

peever142.png

age breakdown is not that different than what you'd think. Most people that started at 13-16 are definitely in the 18-25 range. 26+ includes a lot of older people, people that started later. The gender breakdown not that weird. It's a very time consuming game. Most females I met in this game were either moms or super casual players and this doesn't have much co-op ness in it that would make a guy really eager to introduce the game to their girlfriend.

StarViv.png

Personaly I think its a lie that he has said more people are playing now and the games growing. 

Where does he say that?

EDIT: oh, you mean: 

We’ve even seen counter seasonal positive growth the past quarter

Looking at this graph... if I was a business, I would call that "seeing growth", even if it tails off at the end. Misleading, yes. But they did see growth in that quarter.

syWht8e.jpg

Graph from: http://www.reddit.com/user/Azu99

Was it actually growth though, concidering the emails were to old players rather than new ones. They like to use sly wording to manipulate data in their favour.

No need to lie when you have statistics - membership fell to about ~460k in 2013, so this current level is a climb from that low:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ak5Dxra-B_usdE5NLXlGWU9SWkNsOUJoa2hKXy03T0E&usp=sharing#gid=0

Actual players (instead of bots) data is probably even healthier, but only JaGeX will have a good idea what that amounts to.

All I learned in life, I learned on Tip.it

Personaly I think its a lie that he has said more people are playing now and the games growing. 

Where does he say that?

Looking at this graph... if I was a business, I would call that "seeing growth", even if it tails off at the end. Misleading, yes. But they did see growth in that quarter.

syWht8e.jpg

Was it actually growth though, concidering the emails were to old players rather than new ones. They like to use sly wording to manipulate data in their favour.

No need to lie when you have statistics - membership fell to about ~460k in 2013, so this current level is a climb from that low:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ak5Dxra-B_usdE5NLXlGWU9SWkNsOUJoa2hKXy03T0E&usp=sharing#gid=0

Actual players (instead of bots) data is probably even healthier, but only JaGeX will have a good idea what that amounts to.

That looks like a very steep decline. The upward trend is just people who unsubbed to send a message about silverhawks, that didnt intend to actually quit.

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

Where does he say that?

syWht8e.jpg

That looks like a very steep decline. The upward trend is just people who unsubbed to send a message about silverhawks, that didnt intend to actually quit.

I dont think its silverhawks, because how can he get the total players when it takes 2 weeks for them to drop off the highscores (this maybe incorrect. please tell me if I am wrong)