Was it really EoC that ruined RuneScape?

@Dan3HitU

Well, I don't like that Jagex butchered Demon Slayer quest, do I deserve respect now from the common populace?

The game was in dire need of a change in direction. They took a risk, they did it bad, but now with Revolution, I don't think anyone really has to complain.

I really don't get what non-EOCers are still mad about: just put on Revolution, Momentum, or just leave it at manual.

Same for the NIS: I was a huge complainer because I couldn't get a pre-NIS setup exactly as I wanted. I adapted. Boohoo. Game was totally ruined because I now have a better way to distribute my task bars ingame.

• Like 1

I really don't get what non-EOCers are still mad about: just put on Revolution, Momentum, or just leave it at manual.

Most are probably PVP-minded folks who have lost hybridding as it used to be. You can't play with similar strategies comparable to pre-EOC at all, even with Momentum, given how stat distributions on armour as well as familiar mechanics have changed (e.g. no accuracy bonuses on magic robes, can't cast spells at all without a magic weapon).
  • Like 3

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Concidering 80% of the pole wanted legacy. I would say EoC contributed heavily to people abandoning the game. You would be an idiot to try and make out that it didn't.

Sure we all want RS to go on more. To see it isnt ruined. But not taking into account of f--- ups. That would be insanely dumb of Jagex. Legacy is their halfway mark so far.

Whilst not ruined for some... it was ruined for the majority. They had a choice to A, build on the old system. Less players leave. Carefully crafted. Or B, rip it all up, make a new system that alot of people turned out not to like. Because of development time and ignorance they choose B.

So not ruined, just very damaged. EoC fans would need another disaster to turn them away.

What EoC fans also forget is that these players simply DID NOT LIKE EOC. They had every right to be angry. I find theres a huuugeeee lack of respect for that. Not agreement on opinions but respect.

Jagex are struggling to get a healthy good vision for the game, I think theres huge problems with how the company is running. I don't think they are very efficient or well organised. Even their recent polls have been a bunch of crap. They say its for the future and they ask petty things. The need to ask and break down and define what players want out of RuneScape, what they enjoy in RuneScape. Instead they are asking which NPC to talk to.

Assuming because 80% wanted legacy, at a time before any of the good eoc fixes of this year had arrived, means 80% dislike eoc is a logical fallacy - the two are not directly correlated. 

Also considering the actual player totals did not fall by in excess of 50% since eoc launched, it is equally a fallacy to claim eoc ruined it for the majority as it is not a proven fact.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Given the nature of the PVPcommunity: I'm glad they are mostly gone now.

Given the nature of the effiency crowd, i'm glad how Jagex made it all much too easy now.

Really? After a long day you don't love to unwind with a few other people? Shame man, minigames and free for all is so much fun. 

• Like 1
Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

120k people online + 30k bots

- 30k bots = 90k people online

EoC hits = 10k people quit

OSRS = 20k go to OSRS

60k + 20k = 80k players +10k quitters + 30k bots = 120k people

There you go, mystery solved.

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

You can? ohmy.gif

How do you do it?

I meant keep the old static layout/tabs.

I was assuming you meant something like this, which kind of has a similar effect. A few tweaks could get that close to what you seem to want.

Perhaps @Alg, @@Dan3HitU is possibly looking more for this one on the same page (http://forum.tip.it/topic/163183-post-all-rs-screenshots-videos-and-sounds-here/page-4107?do=findComment&comment=5470125) from @Miss Lioness???  It has a lot less in its' design for someone to have to handle all at the same time, and seems more reminiscent of the older RS2HD-style and previous stuff. huh.gif

~D. V. "Just a Second Opinion" Devnull

(p.s.: Yeah, I caught wind of this thread while checking new content.  Please don't expect me to get crazy with diving into this board in general.)

[Multiple late edits by post author, caused by current post rate on this thread, and missed thoughts.]

Edited by D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I played RS3 less and less immediately after EoC came out. I quit playing RS3 altogether after the new interface came out

Myself too.

I don't see why they can't simply stretch the game-part of the interface and leave the old-style stretched on the side with blank spaces.

Jw15omb.png

Just saying, it's not as easy as you're making it out to be.

Concidering 80% of the pole wanted legacy. I would say EoC contributed heavily to people abandoning the game.

The people who voted for legacy != 100% of the people who quit because of EoC.

If the poll was for completely replacing EoC with Legacy mode, the results would have been much more different, mind you.

Concidering 80% of the pole wanted legacy. I would say EoC contributed heavily to people abandoning the game.

If the poll was for completely replacing EoC with Legacy mode, the results would have been much more different, mind you.

Completely agree. Voted for legacy because I didn't see the harm in it and many people would enjoy having it. I however like EOC and have no intention of really using legacy. Saying 80% voted for it is not the same as 80% wanted to use it and definitely isn't the same as 80% think EOC ruined the game.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Completely agree. Voted for legacy because I didn't see the harm in it and many people would enjoy having it. I however like EOC and have no intention of really using legacy. Saying 80% voted for it is not the same as 80% wanted to use it and definitely isn't the same as 80% think EOC ruined the game.

The harm in it is that Jagex can barely balance one combat mode (EoC) and now they have to balance EoC with Legacy. If they can't balance one what makes people think they can balance two with each other?

Not to mention the wasted Dev time for Nostalgiascape instead of working on fixing the issues with EoC...

• Like 1

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

120k people online + 30k bots

- 30k bots = 90k people online

EoC hits = 10k people quit

OSRS = 20k go to OSRS

60k + 20k = 80k players +10k quitters + 30k bots = 120k people

There you go, mystery solved.

It's not quite that simple. All the data reveals, when I last looked at it, a MASSIVE reduction in the amount of players online, active accounts, traffic to the site, google hits. It was a lot more serious than just 10K quitters, and those who went to OSRS.

The harm in it is that Jagex can barely balance one combat mode (EoC) and now they have to balance EoC with Legacy. If they can't balance one what makes people think they can balance two with each other?

Not to mention the wasted Dev time for Nostalgiascape instead of working on fixing the issues with EoC...

Literally all they would have to do is make momentum use no abilities, hide the action bar and buff Momentum's damage.

They don't need to do any more balancing than that. Add some graphics such as the pre-NIS interface and the old hitsplats, but that's it.

^I do so wish they would stop pretending legacy is anything more than original momentum buffed up to what it should've been (comparable to full manual, but still not quite as good) with a nice shiny reskin to make it look like pre-NIS and hide ability bar.

After all all the other 'features' are nothing to do with legacy and are just general fixes to eoc (combat formula, poison tweaks, specials, changes to armour stats etc)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Given the nature of the effiency crowd, i'm glad how Jagex made it all much too easy now.

Really? After a long day you don't love to unwind with a few other people? Shame man, minigames and free for all is so much fun. 

Nope, don't like getting screamed at just because I owned them in combat. I don't want to know what they've supposed to have done to my mother, what I should do with their genitals, how much I know how to hack into their computer/Jagex computers. And certainly don't want their entitlement that all RuneScape is about is PVP and thus everything should be catered to them when they start crying.

I do love minigames, but I don't like the macho-crybaby culture involved within the PVP scene.

• Like 1

80% wanting it a year later AND without quitters votes is pretty big... I also did NOT say that was the statistic to how many people didnt want/left because legacy. Its a good guide line though. its the only honest figure we know.

The fact a combat beta had to happen is a great indicator that they messed up big time.

You ignore the pre eoc side of it and and manipulate facts to suit your opinion. In reality theres both sides of the story. The polls during the eoc beta were clearly maniplutive in what was being asked.

If the poll was to completely remove it, I expect it to be a big poll like the freetrade/wild was.

Nope, don't like getting screamed at just because I owned them in combat. I don't want to know what they've supposed to have done to my mother, what I should do with their genitals, how much I know how to hack into their computer/Jagex computers. And certainly don't want their entitlement that all RuneScape is about is PVP and thus everything should be catered to them when they start crying.

I do love minigames, but I don't like the macho-crybaby culture involved within the PVP scene.

Theres idiots everywhere, not just PVP. Dont go judging people. I don't assume every black guy steals watermelons because its their life and soul and I don't expect every PVPer is an a hole that has his way with alot of mothers. When opinions conflict you all get crybaby culture. Me, you. This threads full of it.

10k players, especially those with pure accounts that got "ruined" or made useless by EoC, can be much more than 30k accounts.

When I took a 2 year hiatus from RS it would show 8 accounts leaving the game as well as 20-30 page views/day. I'm not saying there aren't a few other variables I left out nor do I deny over-simplifying the issue.

But take a moment in my shoes:

Keep in mind this game has been "dying" since the "economy crisis" of 2003.

It's been "dying" since the transition to RS2.

It's been "dying" since the release of "useless monkeysink/no thought/useless skills" like Construction and Slayer.

It's been "dying" since Godwars/Dclaws/PvM-centric gameplay.

It's been "dying" since the removal of the Wilderness in 2007.

It's been "dying" since the introduction of Bounty Hunter.

It's been "dying" since Bounty Hunter was removed.

It's been "dying" since Free Trade was re-introduced.

It's been "dying" since EoC landed.

It's been "dying" for a goddamn long time - and some of us are just sick of hearing the wild theories behind why. Here's the truth starting from 2005:

Nearly all MMO's have taken a hit. The next generation of players simply aren't patient enough for MMO's and play immediate gratification games like Meatboy or Angry Birds where levels are a few minutes long - not a few days of grinding.

There is more competition in "fast action" games like Battlefield or Call of Duty as well that give a "better thrill" than Runescape PvP. This isn't 2003~2006 where consoles still kinda sucked to play online with (PS2 was mostly racing games, Xbox live was shoddy)

The PS3 was released in late 2006. Xbox 360 was released in late 2005. The funny thing about RS's largest "downhill trend" was the new competition from the 360 and PS3 in 2006-2007 as the consoles started gaining a larger consumer base. Whenever a new major title is released for a console - Runescape takes a small hit in players for a week or two while everyone is playing those games.

There is simply a lot more competition resulting in less growth of a new playerbase. The game still gets new players (I see them quite often on one of my noob accounts!) but that number is a lot less than in 2004-2005. As older players leave the game, getting busy with college, family, or just bored with the game after 8-10~ years of playing - that huge influx of players from 2004-2006 are finally leaving the game.

The 2004-2006 players simply aren't being replaced as quickly as they had joined. This isn't something to be overly worried about. It's actually quite expected and seems to be stabled out. It's less than in 2004-2006 but with increased competition and less young player interest (due to more instant gratification or faster paced games being out) that should be expected.

When Jagex is making more money per year than they've ever made in the past - having less players isn't TOO big of a deal because those players are paying Jagex more money than older players.

1) They aren't paying "grandfathered" membership prices.

2) They are buying SGS items, Runecoins, Spins, and Bonds in quite large amounts.

I've paid over what I would have paid Jagex in an entire year in the past just buying spins once for the Farming outfit. That means just on me alone they've increased their profits by 200%. Another friend of mine has spent $350~ in spins in the past 6 months. Considering they used to only make $60/month off this player - that's nearly a what.. 700% profit? And it isn't even the end of the year yet. 

e:

Some typos fixed.

• Like 7

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

It's quite modest compared to the self-destructive community in Tekken. Ofcourse that's a game where every mistake and misstep you make, you get punished and thus with this knowledge you go on. Then again I feed on the souls of children and their anger.

x'D

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

I think you're just too sensitive to participate in competitive activities. It's human nature to be aggressive under such circumstances.

I'm not naturally a competitive person but I would always trash talk my opponents in PvP simply because I knew that certain people were inexperienced and/or too sensitive, and trash talking throws them off and makes them a lot easier to dominate

77yLQy8.png