Server disruptions

Yoko Kurama

So apparently servers are going down, people are getting booted out, the site won't load for 20 minutes at times (for some people), as well as the client. Beware.

A lot of people have died, lost stuff, and of course in a time of such crisis, Jagex is absolutely nowhere to be found, there is no acknowledgement on the forums, twitter, in game, or anywhere, and no response to the grievances of people who lost stuff and are trying to reach Jagex through the forums or elsewhere. Which is exactly what Jagex did last time as well in December of 2013 when something like this happened. They completely ignored the problem, pretended it wasn't happening, then hid all threads on forums refering to it or asking for rollbacks/refunds for lost items and moved on.

Oh, but I am sure, the top ranked players will be sure to get their stuff back. It's shameless really.

I myself was at DKS before it first happened, got booted out, site wouldn't load ( for about 15 minutes), nor would client, a friend checked to see if i died (thankfully I didn't), I logged back on and teleported out. I have no doubt that If I had died and lost my stuff and the server hadn't came back up, I would have gotten nothing. Jagex really is lawless, callous, and concerned only with the needs of famous players. I am sure though, that they will promptly put up a new video sometime in the future with some charismatic J-Mod or another doing something funny, and telling us how much they care and value their customers. That should be enough damage control.

Pathetic.

To TIF Moderators:

Feel free to move this to Rants, if that's the proper procedure.

Midnight crash though, I doubt anyone who knows anything is currently on-site :P

It's usually problems with the ISP and their hosting facilities, which are completely out of Jagex's control.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Ive had the problem with the site/client not loading for 10-15 minutes while other websites/skype still work and such.  So I doubt its an ISP problem.  Thankfully im only doing DG atm 

peever142.png

Midnight crash though, I doubt anyone who knows anything is currently on-site :P

It's usually problems with the ISP and their hosting facilities, which are completely out of Jagex's control.

Last time it was those jevunile Ddosers that were the problem.

I don't blame Jagex for the crash (I am not qualified enough to know what the causes are or how secure their servers/ISP is). I blame Jagex for failing to put in procedures to address the aftermath, their unwillingness to talk to their players, offer rollbacks, refunds, or any sort of acknowledgement. That's where the ball is completely in their court.

Most people in this situation (just like the last time it happened) waited several hours for Jagex to wake up (it was also a midnight crash) and do something - they used all the proper channels tor reach Jagex - the wait is not the problem. The problem is once J-Mods finally got to JHQ they instructed RSOF forum moderators to lock threads, hide them, and the J Mods did absolutely nothing to acknolwedge or address the situation (there were even several in game). That's my problem with this.

• Like 2

Is this a public service announcement or passive aggressive complaint

Yes. Yes, it is.

• Like 2

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Is this a public service announcement or passive aggressive complaint

Why can't it be both? Sometimes reality is nasty and I don't intend to cower away from that with some misguided interest of appearing to be 'neutral'. Jagex [bleep]ed up and they should be called out on that in discussions about this issue. 

Yes please bash jagex about server issues when it is 1 AM their time. Im sure someone knows, but there probably isnt a full fledged task force.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Yes please bash jagex about server issues when it is 1 AM their time. Im sure someone knows, but there probably isnt a full fledged task force.

If you had read the thread you'd know this has nothing to do with the fact they aren't immediately responding to the issue (it's understandable that they can't do anything if they are in bed) - the problem is that they do nothing even when they get back to work (this has happened in the past). They ignore the issue, hide and lock threads, give no refunds/rollbacks, and ignore the grievances of players that have suffered. That is a problem.

If you had read the thread you'd know this has nothing to do with the fact they aren't immediately responding to the issue (it's understandable that they can't do anything if they are in bed) - the problem is that they do nothing even when they get back to work (this has happened in the past). They ignore the issue, hide and lock threads, give no refunds/rollbacks, and ignore the grievances of players that have suffered. That is a problem.

I can find well documented proof of targeted account rollbacks.

*pushes up thick frame glasses and corrects pocket protector alignment*

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I remember the same "no one is here at night to respond" issues back in 2004, so it's good to see Jagex hasn't evolved their policy on "what do we do with a 24 hour service if it goes bad at night?" in ten years. 

• Like 3

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I can find well documented proof of targeted account rollbacks.

*pushes up thick frame glasses and corrects pocket protector alignment*

I can find you several more instances of people who lost stuff, posted on the forums, tried to reach out to Jagex, were deliberately ignored, and forum moderators told them to get over it (basically), locked/hid their threads and told them to stop making any more.

I remember the same "no one is here at night to respond" issues back in 2004, so it's good to see Jagex hasn't evolved their policy on "what do we do with a 24 hour service if it goes bad at night?" in ten years. 

This too. It isn't even so much that they need to do something at 12 AM, it's that they should at least do something at some point. Their policy (which I saw firsthand in December of 2013 when servers crashed) is as I described earlier: doing nothing at all and pretending there is no problem.

Still there are other measures they could take, and they haven't really done anything proactive on this front.

Last I checked people cannot die in server crashes because if a server crashes everything immediately stops. No ongoing combat to die from. The odds of loosing items through a server crash are so slim, about the only way to lose stuff is IF they do a roll back you can lose a few drops or have a few trades reversed.

And it's all very well getting angry about lack of staff overnight, but night staff are frigging expensive - it's understandable they can't have a lot of them and those they DO have are pretty much entirely customer service side of things because it doesn't make fiscal sense to have high end tech guys in overnight when 999/1000 times nothing happens. Besides I'm sure they have folks "on call" as it were just in case, but that does still leave a few hours for those guys to get up and get to the office to deal. Plus with server crashes its not all about Jagex staff - it's about staff at the remote facilities that host the servers.

Jagex could have all the highly paid employees sitting around doing nothing you like on the night shift, it won't make a bit of difference in their server hoster doesn't have night staff.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Forum moderators are not members of Jagex

No, but they are directly under Jagex supervision and follow their orders. So I am not sure what you're trying to say there. They are given direct instructions from Jagex and they execute them. To pretend that Forum moderators are independent of Jagex or are loose cannons is absurd.

Last I checked people cannot die in server crashes because if a server crashes everything immediately stops. No ongoing combat to die from. The odds of loosing items through a server crash are so slim, about the only way to lose stuff is IF they do a roll back you can lose a few drops or have a few trades reversed.

And it's all very well getting angry about lack of staff overnight, but night staff are frigging expensive - it's understandable they can't have a lot of them and those they DO have are pretty much entirely customer service side of things because it doesn't make fiscal sense to have high end tech guys in overnight when 999/1000 times nothing happens. Besides I'm sure they have folks "on call" as it were just in case, but that does still leave a few hours for those guys to get up and get to the office to deal. Plus with server crashes its not all about Jagex staff - it's about staff at the remote facilities that host the servers.

Jagex could have all the highly paid employees sitting around doing nothing you like on the night shift, it won't make a bit of difference in their server hoster doesn't have night staff.

You can lose stuff if you died say at 12:00 PM, and at 12:02 pm the server crashes and it doesn't come back for 15 minutes (the maximum amount of a time a grave has without a bless). I have seen this happen numerous times. Also, I am pretty sure if you're in combat when the server goes down, you can still die. I have personally seen this happen at stuff like Vorago. People have lost stuff this way.

I am not suggesting they get night staff, I am suggesting they a) acknowledge such problems when they occur, b) make some effort to address their customers when this sort of stuff happens, and c) have a consistent refund policy (either everyone, where it's possible, gets refunds for lost items, or no one gets them, as opposed to now where only famous players with J-Mod connections get them).

Consistent refund policy?

Archers%27_ring.png

The general rule of bossing and such is that you only bring what you're willing to lose, and gravestones are by no means a guarantee that you'll be able to get your stuff back. On the other hand, I do agree with you when you say that you wish they'd acknowledge these server disruptions, and at the very least make a post to let you know that they're aware of the issue.

• Like 2

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

ITT: OP is mad that he doesn't get the same preconceived preferential treatment that 'famous' players get.

So it seems...

*furrows eyebrow* followed by *The Rock pose*

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

ITT: OP is mad that he doesn't get the same preconceived preferential treatment that 'famous' players get.

...Please tell me you're not denying that they do get preferential treatment, because there's kind of a mountain of evidence toward that fact. 

Nor can I really blame him, since... y'know, when streamers get their items returned with a smile while everyone else gets the standard "we don't return items" response is quite possibly worse than EA's customer support.

• Like 4

So it seems...

*furrows eyebrow* followed by *The Rock pose*

I didn't lose anything, so I don't need a refund. As I noted in my OP, I survived the server crash. 

I have decided to put that in bold for those who have reading comprehension difficulties or are determined to make this personal rather than discuss the issue at large.

Also it is an undeniable fact that Jagex does engage in the sort of preferential treatment that I discussed.

This has more to do with dozens of other normal players who did die and lose and won't be getting refunds, as opposed to famous players who get rollbacks on-demand without lifting a finger.

Consistent refund policy?

Archers%27_ring.png

The general rule of bossing and such is that you only bring what you're willing to lose, and gravestones are by no means a guarantee that you'll be able to get your stuff back. On the other hand, I do agree with you when you say that you wish they'd acknowledge these server disruptions, and at the very least make a post to let you know that they're aware of the issue.

That's of course not true, as certain players definitely get rollbacks on-demand without lifting a finger.

Do you know if there were any rollbacks in the wake of this most recent outage?

I don't. There were a  lot of angry people at RSOF yesterday, but those threads are probably in the process of getting lost.  Last time (December 2013), there were no rollbacks for the public at large.  For a while, Forum moderators told everyone to wait from word from Jagex, but then, they started locking/hiding threads, telling people to stop making them, and one J-Mod got on his alt (non-J-Mod account) made a post saying that there would be no rollbacks at all, and his post was stickied.

The server issues have been fixed and this thread is now redundant.

Absolutely not. The server issues may have been fixed, but the critique of Jagex's behaviour with regards to this situation is still completely 100% valid and relevant. Their lack of acknowledgement and their handling of player's grievances still stands.

Keep trying to pretend though that there's nothing wrong with the picture and that Jagex has no blame to share - it's quite amusing to see.