Behind the Scenes - August 2014

Saradomin_Mage

I've wanted this city in the game for over ten years.  It's finally happening (well, sooner than ten years, at least).

I wonder if I should wait for the whole city to be out, or start when the quest is finished (and there is no city).

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I've wanted this city in the game for over ten years.  It's finally happening (well, sooner than ten years, at least).

I wonder if I should wait for the whole city to be out, or start when the quest is finished (and there is no city).

Do the quest and then stand at the gates to the city and logout and don't log back in until they release the city.

90.png

---------------------------- ';..;' ----------------------------

max.png

Do the quest and then stand at the gates to the city and logout and don't log back in until they release the city.

I may wait 'til December, since that's when everything will be fully released and the balance can be tweaked to the way Jagex likes it.

• Like 1

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg

I really hope it's a new prayer book and not just added to curses. I feel that there is good potential for some skilling related spells and curses that wouldn't really fit in with the ancients mindset

It won't be new books.

We already voted in the poll for Seren prayers and spells to be added to the ancient books.

And arguably they fit in perfectly with the ancients because they derive from Seren a being equally as ancient and as powerful as Zaros - who supplied the current spells and curses. It'll just be revealing the other side to the ancient power we already access part of.

Though adding them to the ancient books (if jagex does it right) wouldn't mean you need the existing ancients to access them - each set could easily act to offer access to the book with just their content, whilst the other could just add content to it.

Just be a case of splitting it into more variables, like atm ancient prays is a yes or no binary, as is magic.

Split that into a yes or no for access to the book, plus a yes or no for zaros content and a yes or no for seren content.

Then the original zaros unlocks can be setup to overwrite book and zaros to yes - resulting in giving the book access with just zaros content.

Whilst the seren unlocks can be setup to overwrite book and seren to yes - meaning if you did them first they'd give book access with just seren content. And in either case w/e one you did later would be overwriting yes with yes on book access, but also adding a yes for their half of the content.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I see no reason why you would forgoe experiencing batch 1 in order to wait for the whole of it. Also, it's likely that there will be many unbalanced things in batch 1 - may as well take advantage of them while you can - the early bird always wins in RS. Also, this way you won't be completely overwhelemed by a large swathe of new content if you don't do any of it and just wait till december.

I see no reason why you would forgoe experiencing batch 1 in order to wait for the whole of it. Also, it's likely that there will be many unbalanced things in batch 1 - may as well take advantage of them while you can - the early bird always wins in RS. Also, this way you won't be completely overwhelemed by a large swathe of new content if you don't do any of it and just wait till december.

Well the early bird always wins apart from drop tables which nearly always get boosted later on, or upfront gp/points prices that nearly always get lowered, or anything where you might enmass die since they nearly always bug graves out on them things...

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Well the early bird always wins apart from drop tables which nearly always get boosted later on, or upfront gp/points prices that nearly always get lowered, or anything where you might enmass die since they nearly always bug graves out on them things...

Yes there are disadvantages, but your examples are not all that accurate and there are many counterexamples.

They may buff drop rates, but most of the times, the rare drops are almost always at their peak price the days after release. For example, Mod Ramen is currently working on buffing up the normal loot of Araxxor because it is currently very lackluster, but guess what? Spider Legs, and the Noxious wepaons will likely never ever again be worth anywhere near 1-2B again (which is what they were for a few days). The weapons are currently 400M-500M, at most. The people who did this boss during the early days, some of them, walked away with billions. Early birds win.

The first ROTS shields sold for 1.6-2B, and they rapidly dropped within the same day and the next few days to less than 300M, and then soon to 100M only. Early birds win.

There are often various methods that Jagex doesn't test properly, resulting in very OP experience gains which are later on nerfed (there's dozens of examples of this, such as EoC). Early birds win.

Sometimes they reduce prices, others times they don't.

Grave glitches are definitely a problem, though the rewards are also very good during the early phases.

• Like 1

Ghetto month in anticipation of Spock Slums Part I.

Good to see that you still have your usual sunny disposition =)

Really looking forward to Elf Finale quest. Quest to me is more important than the city.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Well, I can think of a few...

- I'd be starting from scratch, essentially, as I dropped all of my stuff many moons ago.

- I'd need time to figure out RuneScape on Linux (as I am not a fan of using a client to play something that should "just work" in a browser).

- I'd need time to get used to the interface and figure out its intricacies.

- I'd need time to get some gear.

- I also work 40 hours a week, and my primary off-time focus isn't gaming, it's programming-related stuff (OWASP, AngularJS, better programming in Java, etc).

December seems like a fine time to me, especially since I could take my time with everything that I would care about consuming for the elf update.  The rest of the game just won't appeal to me as much, since the elf city is the last bit of closure from '04.

s1L0U.jpg

Back when DG came out some people tortured themselves doing Abd large 5:5 C5 kill every room floors on W117 (It was at one point actually decent) all the way to ~81 DG for chaotics and it was horrible. Then when occs finally came out DG got so much faster that any DGing past level 67 before the new floors turned out to be a complete waste. IMO releasing things in batches will always lead to people wasting their time if the content is used before everything is out at once.

• Like 1

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

Back when DG came out some people tortured themselves doing Abd large 5:5 C5 kill every room floors on W117 (It was at one point actually decent) all the way to ~81 DG for chaotics and it was horrible. Then when occs finally came out DG got so much faster that any DGing past level 67 before the new floors turned out to be a complete waste. IMO releasing things in batches will always lead to people wasting their time if the content is used before everything is out at once.

Meanwhile on F2P, doing 1-35 over and over and over...:P.

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Just hope that the soul reaper tasks will be co op able. should be easier getting co op teams if there's decent monsters to kill.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Just hope that the soul reaper tasks will be co op able. should be easier getting co op teams if there's decent monsters to kill.

Doubtful since boss slayer is independent of normal slayer. The closest you'd get, I expect, is 2 people on the same assignment can both get kills working together as bosses give xp drops, and thus kills, to everyone who hit em.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

- I'd need time to figure out RuneScape on Linux (as I am not a fan of using a client to play something that should "just work" in a browser).

There's a Unix based client made by Hikariknight in the downloads section of the 'scape website, been using it since I got Linux and it works fine.

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

- I'd be starting from scratch, essentially, as I dropped all of my stuff many moons ago.

- I also work 40 hours a week, and my primary off-time focus isn't gaming, it's programming-related stuff (OWASP, AngularJS, better programming in Java, etc).

December seems like a fine time to me, especially since I could take my time with everything that I would care about consuming for the elf update.  The rest of the game just won't appeal to me as much, since the elf city is the last bit of closure from '04.

Even bearing all that in mind, I'd suggest starting now. Just spend perhaps 10-20 minutes here and there (once every couple of days), to learn about stuff you missed, otherwise you will be very overwhelmed when you get back to the game. Learn the interface, a bit about the economy, make some new friends/reunite with some old ones, perhaps train skills slowly so you can meet the requirements stated in the design documents so you can actually access the neat parts of Elf City when they come out and stuff.

Also in regard to above post (from Yoko), I am not sure what your account stats is and which quests you got. But in case you don't have the requirements to complete the quest or have any use for the city itself, you might want to do that little preparation. 

• Like 1

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Since it is related to one upcoming update this month: 

- Update 05/08/2014

...and so it comes to an end. We've now handed the project on to our dedicated release team who will see it through to launch.

It's funny to think that we started with a basic concept for a boss orientated Slayer update and a few months later have come out with a new system molded by the communities suggestions. We're really proud with what we've achieved, whilst maintaining the weekly fixes that you know and love.

On Friday we saw the first look at what's to come in August, where Mark briefly discussed this update. If you haven't seen the BTS video yet then here it is:

Quite a few sneak peeks at the update in this video, though some of the footage is from an older version of the project. Interfaces, graphics, reward prices and other tweaks have been made since this was captured.

As mentioned in the BTS, the official name of the project is now Soul Reaper! We didn't want players to think of it too much like Slayer as this is more of a daily task system, and therefore decided to change the name. It also ties in really well with the theme and what you'll be doing within the content.

We hope you've found the weekly updates interesting, we've certainly found them useful and will look to do them again for more updates in the future. Thank you to everyone that has given ideas and feedback along the way, you the real MVP.

All that's left to say is that we hope you enjoy the update, which if all goes to plan will come out on the 18th of this month! blk.gif

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Oh you beat me to it lioness. So we had clan updates and now soul reaper coming on the 18th. Im curious what will come the 11th. Im hoping plagues end.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Oh you beat me to it lioness. So we had clan updates and now soul reaper coming on the 18th. Im curious what will come the 11th. Im hoping plagues end.

It ought to be plagues end seeing as they are purposefully disrupting the 'road to elf city every other week' bts pattern to show the plagues end bts vid this friday.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

It ought to be plagues end seeing as they are purposefully disrupting the 'road to elf city every other week' bts pattern to show the plagues end bts vid this friday.

Nah im going to call next weeks update BA rework and hard mode just so i dont get my hopes up.
  • Like 1

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png