Clan Month - The Beginning + Character Name Clean-up - One day Countdown

Miss Lioness

I don't get why so many people are so obsessed with getting a certain name. There's plenty of names. If you can't get a name you want, be creative, go with something else. That's what I did a few years ago and I haven't changed my name since then. I have used the name-change service maybe a total of 2 times since it was first released. I didn't get my first choice for a name, so I went with sometihng else and that was that.

It's not about finding a good name, it's about finding the right name. A little bit of creativity can't always work around that.

...Especially if that right name is just going to end up on an account that exists solely to hold on to the name. sFwNzfq.gif

A real life name/letter/RS related noun isn't exactly the pinnacle of creativity either. :P

65495229.png

With love to one, friendship to many, and good will to all.

Have the avatar XP buffs already gone through? The description still says 3%/6%...

Because its a temporary month of clans thingy, they didn't change all the descriptions etc.

I didn't realize these buffs were temporary... -.-

2dgucz6.png

Have the avatar XP buffs already gone through? The description still says 3%/6%...

Because its a temporary month of clans thingy, they didn't change all the descriptions etc.

Temporary?? I didn't think so...

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I don't get why so many people are so obsessed with getting a certain name. There's plenty of names. If you can't get a name you want, be creative, go with something else. That's what I did a few years ago and I haven't changed my name since then. I have used the name-change service maybe a total of 2 times since it was first released. I didn't get my first choice for a name, so I went with sometihng else and that was that.

It's not about finding a good name, it's about finding the right name. A little bit of creativity can't always work around that.

...Especially if that right name is just going to end up on an account that exists solely to hold on to the name. sFwNzfq.gif

Jagex could have definitely done lots to prevent name hoarding. There is plenty of outrage on RSOF about that, and even J-Mods have admitted they made a mistake and that they intend to put in fail-safes with the next batch of names to prevent this sort of stuff, but even then, even if Jagex had done that this time, the chances of getting a particular name were still low. There  are plenty of people after them.

Temporary?? I didn't think so...

Thats what the news post implies:

Our Clan Month will be running until 31st August and now is certainly the best time to be in a clan! From 4th August, those of you in a clan will benefit from the following bonuses:

XP from all skill plots in the citadel increased to 140%

Clan Avatar XP buff increased to 10/5%

Clan Avatar damage protection increased to 10%

Clan Avatar heal over time increased to 4% every 5 seconds

Bonus XP from quartermaster increased to 140%

Fealty XP from clan cloak increased to 140%

It mostly definitely says those bonuses are part of 'clan month' as they come directly under that heading and that clan month only runs til aug 31st.

It's why they are separate from the 'clan improvements' section.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Ugh. Sat for an hour and a half, clicking non stop, only to have the name I've been chasing for years taken. Very unhappy, as I'm sure many others are.

Were you really expecting anything more? There's a few 'simple' (meaning without numbers or alternate spellings) that a lot of people want. The chances of getting a particular name for any one individual were always low. There's nothing that can be done there.

-------

This is not directed at you in particular:

I grow tired of people constantly changing their names anyways. It's annoying having to figure out who is who. Name changes are sort of fun, but they get tiresome and cliched when people are constantly doing it every other month.

In line with the other people who posted, I'm disappointed because I wanted the right name. I wasn't going for a ridiculously common name, it was a fairly rare one personal to myself, one which I have had been watching on my friends list and highscores for five years now and I lost out to someone with barely any stats and previous name of the "1234Blankey5678" ilk. I guess I can't know for certain, but I doubt they would care for it as much as I would. I feel like I have a legitimate reason to be disappointed, as do the many others who lost out in a similar manner to bots or hoarders.

Maybe you can't understand the personal or sentimental attachment people might have to a name, but they are essentially your online identity and possess inherent meaning. I have never changed it before and had I gotten it, would not have changed it again even if I was offered many bils for it. I knew that there was only a small chance despite this, but I and others have every right to be unhappy for losing out in what seems like an unfair way, and don't need to be told we're wrong for that by someone who has no idea.

I do hope they put these failsafes in.
  • Like 2

For me there is only one other name I potentially want. If I don't get it, I wont be sad. I am glad I could already have this fantastic name for years past and would gladly go on for years to come. 

• Like 1

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

I don't know who half of my friends are anymore since they've all changed their names at least a billion times :\ Never liked the update in the first place for that reason.

Agreed about too much changing ones RS name. It should've only be done sporadically. Like once or twice a year along with a clean-up.

• Like 1

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

Account Help

I don't know who half of my friends are anymore since they've all changed their names at least a billion times :\ Never liked the update in the first place for that reason.

+1. And, i mean, unless you have a really crappy, long and unmemorable name (and why would you in the first place?), there is little reason to ever drastically change your name (i guess making the same name simpler would be acceptable). It's who is behind the name who is important. I never had problems communicating with old friends on rs before the name change update even when i'd not talked to them in many years, but nowadays, it's just ridiculous. And for whatever reason most of them assume you know everything about their name history. /rant

Edited by Miss Lioness
Profanity

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

snagged a few names for friends :)

cerium

beryllium

astatine

cheez-it

yeah yeah shoot me im a hoarder

friend of mine is a chemist and out of town so i wasn't sure which one he'd like most haha

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

+1. And, i mean, unless you have a really crappy, long and unmemorable name (and why would you in the first place?), there is little reason to ever drastically change your name (i guess making the same name simpler would be acceptable). It's who is behind the name who is important. I never had problems communicating with old friends on rs before the name change update even when i'd not talked to them in many years, but nowadays, it's just ridiculous. And for whatever reason most of them assume you know everything about their name history. /rant

Then clearly I've been doing something wrong. Teach me your ways, o people that have never outgrown a name they chose as a teenager, for I have come to hate A Local Guy.

Edited by Miss Lioness
Profanity

snagged a few names for friends :)

cerium

beryllium

astatine

cheez-it

yeah yeah shoot me im a hoarder

friend of mine is a chemist and out of town so i wasn't sure which one he'd like most haha

Probably cheez it

• Like 1

Tranquil.png

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad

[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

+1.And, i mean, unless you have a really crappy, long and unmemorable name (and why would you in the first place?), there is little reason to ever drastically change your name (i guess making the same name simpler would be acceptable). It's who is behind the name who is important. I never had problems communicating with old friends on rs before the name change update even when i'd not talked to them in many years, but nowadays, it's just ridiculous. And for whatever reason most of them assume you know everything about their name history. /rant

Then clearly I've been doing something wrong. Teach me your ways, o people that have never outgrown a name they chose as a teenager, for I have come to hate A Local Guy.

Have you changed your real name? After all, you didn't even have any say in that matter. As i said, it's who is behind the name that is important. I was also mostly referring to people who change their name too often to even keep track.

Edited by Miss Lioness
Profanity

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

My name has never changed, and tbh it never will

it is now part of my identity. 

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

If it makes you feel any better, I still like A Local Guy
  • Like 4

If it makes you feel any better, I still like A Local Guy

I have to agree with Hedge. It was quite a nice name.

• Like 2

Account Help

To be honest, i feel like i got extremely lucky. When the namechange first came out the first thing i did was change my name. My previous name was a bit...dark/idiotic. I don't know. I was new to the internet (yeah, at the age of 17 i was "new" to the internet) and i thought it was a badass name and would get me laid in a heartbeat. 2 Years later (or something like that) i the namechange came out, and i was able to change it. Got really lucky with a good 3 Letter name that actually meant something and haven't looked back since. I changed it now and then, for 28 days, if i lost bets, or just for fun, but Nox will always be my identity now. It's made the game a bit more fun for me, in a way. I don't know, but if i ever HAD to change my name and not see Nox when i log in it just wouldn't feel the same.

So i can understand why some people want to find the "right" name. But i also agree with the whole constantly changing your name thing. It is annoying, taking a break for a few weeks, and coming back to a friendslist that seems completely unfamiliar.

There has been opened up a thread to discuss the difficulty of obtaining a name. It is in an attempt to get it smoother for the next time and Jagex asked for feedback regarding the issue.

[qfc]14-15-646-65447141[/qfc]

My personal idea:

I was more thinking of a rolling requirement. This entails a name change requirement starting at Maxed (2595) and gets lower every 15-30 minutes. This lowering would be in batches of 100 levels then 200 levels then 300 levels etc. So after one hour everyone from 2k and up can request a name change.

In addition to this there could be an X month membership required. Preferably at least 2 months.

If you want to further restrict it, you could do the above method on 2 different account ages. From 1 year on the first start at Tblk.gif and when T=1 hour, those who created their accounts in less then 1 year, but have maxed stats could start requesting name changes. After 15 mins those who are 2500+, etc...

This latter could make it way to strict tho, but sometimes strict measurements are needed.

Account Help

It would still be nice if F2P could change names.  I think one bond for a name change, as members can pay for an early name change, would be fair.

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

It would still be nice if F2P could change names.  I think one bond for a name change, as members can pay for an early name change, would be fair.

At that point, you might as well just buy a bond for 2 weeks of membership so you can change your name

It would indeed be nice, but with the current load... thats just insane..

Account Help

At that point, you might as well just buy a bond for 2 weeks of membership so you can change your name

Some people don't want the actual membership though, albeit a few...

Edit: and what if you buy an early name change and lose membership, as well?  Presumably you can no longer redeem until you renew.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Some people don't want the actual membership though, albeit a few...

Edit: and what if you buy an early name change and lose membership, as well?  Presumably you can no longer redeem until you renew.

I get that, but you could always just not log into a member's world. I mean, I would have no problem if Jagex sold name-change tokens for like 1/5 of the price of a bond, but it doesn't really make sense to add it to bonds.