So I took a 10 year break...

emery731

Been out of the RS game for a LONG time now, (to put it in perspective, the thzaar fight pits were just implemented last time i played). I am thinking about coming back, and need a few things answered. I know I'll learn a lot about it just by playing and exploring on my own, but I have a few main questions as to how I should get started.

First things first, armor/weapons.

Mainly to start, i'll just be doing quests and slayer tasks, so my question is, what should I be using? Money is no problem as I had a few rares before I quit. So what are the best armor/wespons should I be using for general slayer tasks and quests that dont degrade? (Please tell me melee, range, and mage)

Again... last i knew is probably completely outdated haha. I.e. Black d'hide, fighter torso, neitiznot helm, d legs, whip, d defender etc.

Second, I see there are what seems to be INFINITE ways to easily level up now.. I hate to say it, but "back in my day" it was grindgrindgrindgrindgrindgrindgrind and then a year or so later you had 1 lv 99 skill. Now it seems you can whip them out in a few months. Basically the skills I'm most interested to train are: Thief, smithing, construction, slayer, crafting, fletching. I guess i'd like to know the best way to level combat stats also, but i figure just doing slayer tasks should help me with that.

Third, What should i be doing to earn money? Are there any cool mini-games (activities) that are good money makers?

Last, are there any specific items i should be looking for that i CANNOT purchase? I.E. Back when i used to play, getting the fighter torso was pretty important because of the strength bonus it gave but the only way to get it was to play that mini-game (cant remember the name). I'm thinking there has to be more items like that now that you need to obtain in ways other than just purchasing them. As well as items that help with doing skills (like the fishing gauntlets you get from that one quest for example)

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read and even bigger thanks to anyone who replies and helps me out, im REALLY looking forward to getting back into this game after being gone for so long!

Moving to Help & Advice :)

---

I haven't even been playing for that long, so it's hard for me to even imagine!  I don't know what your stats are, but on P2P barrows sets are adequate and then something like Bandos is a better, permanent alternative.  Chaotic weapons are something you cannot buy and are quite effective, but it's a lot of effort you'll need in the Dungeoneering skill to get them.  If you have 90 attack you could get drygores, since you seem to have an abundance of cash.

Slayer is the best way to do combat since it comes "for free" and keeps things fresh.  Construction - well, chug in money, get xp.  Fletching gets you good xp without even losing much, but you would have to check prices/calculate a little on things.  I'm not sure on P2P crafting, but I've heard making d'hide stuff is fast, albeit slightly expensive.

Unfortunately minigames will not earn you too much cash.  Bossing can net a substantial amount if you get good at it.  If you're looking for more "noob" methods you can spawn red spider eggs, run orbs (magic level required), kill dragons, etc.

I'm sure others will be able to elaborate more but I hope this is a good start ;).

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I also came back recently, after perhaps 5 years or so, so I'm in a similar boat. I don't intend to play too much, just kind of enjoy it more so than grind skills. I've learned that yes, there are a zillion ways to level up things, and fortunately they all speed up things quite a bit.

First things first, armor/weapons.

There is a ton of new stuff, obviously, and there was a fairly recent change to the combat system (some sort of combination of 'EoC' and 'legacy') but I found this FAQ to be super useful: http://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/wiki/faq (I think I'm allowed to post external links as I couldn't find anything forbidding me from doing so in the forum rules, but if I am wrong, feel free to remove it mods, thanks)

It has links to armors for each tier, as well as a whole lot of other useful information, such as player owned ports.

Basically the skills I'm most interested to train are: Thief, smithing, construction, slayer, crafting, fletching. I guess i'd like to know the best way to level combat stats also, but i figure just doing slayer tasks should help me with that.

I haven't even bothered with combat yet, so I cannot help you there, but for smithing and construction, look into the 'wilderness warbands' minigame. It is a dangerous daily (3x daily actually), but it can give about 200-300k xp per day in smithing, mining, construction, farming or herblore. It takes about 15 minutes of your time. It is quite dangerous, and you need to find a friends chat/ clan to do it with, but it makes gaining xp very quick and cheap.

I have no idea about crafting or fletching or thieving, but rs wiki seems to have a lot of options for cheapest/ fastest/etc methods of leveling up.

Last, are there any specific items i should be looking for that i CANNOT purchase?

Bloody chaotic weapons, or dungeoneering rewards in general. There are a lot of cool rewards,  but at least for me, they require a time comittment that i can't give yet. But you should look into it.

Hopefully, that helps. Cheers.

Thanks everyone for the input, it's all greatly appreciated. I think i'm going to get bandos and armadyl armor sets, and get to work on dungeoneering for chaotic weapons. Also, going to put in some work for the royal crossbow. For accessories, is the fury amulet and fire cape still decent or have they been surpassed now also?

I think its great you're getting back into the game.  I myself just came back after a long break, and it was tough getting back in to it and re-learning all the angles.  When i quit, i gave my entire bank away, so i came back with little to nothing left, no more than 1m.  I farmed herbs to get back into the money game.  Dwarf weeds, at the current time, I believe are the best farming herbs in the game.  I would give a go at herb runs, as i have made around 25m in the last month doing just herbs.  Hope you get back into the game!

Rage

Inb4rage.pngI_Humped_Nex.png