Jagex refunding items | Server disruptions

Yoko Kurama

Apparently there were server disruptions earlier today (I don't know anything about them, I was soundly asleep then).

There's a post on Reddit about Jagex finally changing their stance and are now actually providing a medium for people who lost items due to server issues to contact Jagex - if your report is verified by Jagex as being authentic (they do indeed have the technology to see what items were lost, they keep detailed logs), then items will be refunded. Of course, abuse won't be tolerated, as it shouldn't be.

Up until now, Jagex's policy was complete silence on server disruptions, no acknowledgements, and refunds only being handed out to famous or prominent players.

Better late than never. They finally seem to have gotten the right idea.

Link: http://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/comments/2dtyy3/lost_items_due_to_server_crashes_read_here/

I am delighted to hear they are finally changing their stance on it. Or I must say, finally having a black-white stance on this matter.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

They've done this kind of thing on occasion before o.O.

They briefly experimented this until the Archer's ring fiasco, after which they shut it down (there was even an official post from Jagex on Reddit which confirmed they were suspending the refund plan). Afterwards, they went back to ignoring and not acknowledging these server disruptions issues, meanwhile giving famous players refunds when they needed them.

So this is indeed a change and a reversal in their policy.

They briefly experimented this until the Archer's ring fiasco, after which they shut it down (there was even an official post from Jagex on Reddit which confirmed they were suspending the refund plan). Afterwards, they went back to ignoring and not acknowledging these server disruptions issues, meanwhile giving famous players refunds when they needed them.

Can you give any proof that they only reimbursed famous players for their losses during that brief time? Who were these famous players, and how do you know no one else got reimbursed in the case of server side malfunctions/hacks?

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

They've reimbursed for a very very long time now, provided that you had proof (eg. video/livestream footage) that it was a server issue. This is likely the reason that "only famous people" were, because they're often always recording or streaming while they PvM/PvP.

09144a99bb.png

Can you give any proof that they only reimbursed famous players for their losses during that brief time? Who were these famous players, and how do you know no one else got reimbursed in the case of server side malfunctions/hacks?

Sure. If you'd like a famous case of Jagex refunding a prominent player's item, just consider the case of Dragonseance. It was discussed even on TIF (specifically in the 200M thread), and various other places and is very well known. Basically someone hacked his file, and because he didn't have the good sense to have a bank pin, they were easily able to take his multi-billion GP bank, and they changed his name too. Not only did Jagex reverse the name change, but they also refunded him most of his items (except for Silverhawk feathers I believe). I can tell you for a fact that if it had been anyone else, Jagex would have told them, "Sorry, it's your own fault for not having a bank pin." But because it was Dragonseance, someone who happens to be one of the top players in the game, they looked the other way. In fact, in previous years many people who got hacked were told to take better care of their account security.

As for cases of people who didn't get refunds, they are very common ad I have written about them in the past on TIF. In late December 2013 and early January 2014, as well June 2014, there were server disruptions in which lots of worlds went down due to various reasons and quite a lot of people lost stuff. Naturally they went to post on RSOF, and a lot of the forums were litered with posts asking Jagex for item refunds or rollbacks. What did Jagex do? First, they refused to acknowledge that were server disruptions, they were quiet about the whole thing for several hours. They instructed forum moderators to lock all threads on the subject, hide posts in cases, and warn people that if they did this again they'd be punished. And that's exactly what happened all 3 times. One time one J Mod did get on an alt account though to make a post (which was stickied by forum moderators) that stated there would not be any rollbacks under any circumstances.  Sometime later they sent Mod Tyran or whoever to make a post briefly acknowledging that there were server disruptions but nothing was ever done to address the dozens of complaints sent. Nothing. I also know people who have contacted Jagex on this matter and been ignored. So there's plenty of evidence.

They've reimbursed for a very very long time now, provided that you had proof (eg. video/livestream footage) that it was a server issue. This is likely the reason that "only famous people" were, because they're often always recording or streaming while they PvM/PvP.

This is not true. Jagex's refund policy has nothing to do with their being a supposed lack of evidence in most player's cases. Saradomin Mage posted a screenshot earlier this year of a J Mod post on RSOF - I think OSRS it was, where someone was complaining about how he had lost a particular item and he didn't know where it went, he thought it might have  been eaten by a glitch. The J Mod responded with a *very* detailed log that described his ingame actions almost every couple of seconds and he told the player that he had dropped the item at such and such time (probably accidentally), but in any case he wouldn't be getting a refund because that wasn't Jagex's fault.

So they keep detailed logs on in-game stuff - very detailed logs, and they can certainly tell if someone has lost items or their technology is very close to that. They have the technology for this and have had it for quite some time. They simply refused to do anything about it until now.

• Like 2

What were they worth 8 years ago? I might refund you the cash. ;).

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

@Yoko Kurama,

I do remember that incident. The player somehow lost his cash stack and the JMod pointed out that he had dropped it and then teleported away.

However, I believe A_Friend and Dardan both made videos after they'd both been refunded - Dardan who was livestreaming a Nex mass when the classic grave glitch took his items and I don't remember the situation behind A_Friend.

Sure, they have more reliable logs then trusting a video - I'm just saying that a video or livestream could/would act as enough evidence for them to even consider spending the time looking into that massive list of logs.

09144a99bb.png

It wasn't a log that they posted. The guy was simply complaining abuot his money mysteriously being gone and the JMod said:

At x_time you right clicked your cash stack.

At y_time you clicked drop.

At z_time you clicked to teleport to x_place.

09144a99bb.png

The word on the street is that the disruptions are caused by an ongoing DDoS attack. A person or group of people calling themselves the "Lizard Squad" is claming responsibility for attacks on RuneScape and several MMORPGS. Does anyone know anything more about about this?

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

I would like to know its safe to pvm again.

For now, I'd advise against it :S.  Maybe a stable world with welfare gear would be alright...

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

If you want to PvM, you probably want to look for the worlds with the highest population (since they are the least likely to be frequently loosing their players). Excepting worlds like the main trade worlds where people will keep trying to use them regardless because of their specific activity. Frankly, I'd go for these worlds anyway just for general enjoyment.

Not even TIF is safe.

ZxMpIgq.png

On a serious note, decided to not scape much yesterday so lucked out big time, pretty much every PvM team I could have joined was affected. :wall:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

DO NOT PVM OR PVP NOW! The hackers are still at it! if you want to know whats going on and if they are still attacking runescape or not.

Lizardsquad on twitter are tweeting when they attack games/taunting companys. 

This is the only way to know if RS is about to be ddosed or not, seeming as there the hackers and are confident enough to post it.

The tweets are pretty accurate too, for instance one of the tweets was "I think its time runescape came back on, brb" minutes later sure enough runescape was back online.

Just keep an eye out guys.

Runescape is a haven..