Player ports - which skill first?

McFaire

Hi the forum --

In what order would you prioritize leveling the 9 skills that allow access to player-owned ports? Which would you do first, last, etc? I don't have any 90s yet in those 9 skills, but it looks like a lot of fun, adventuring on the high seas, and I'd like to work toward it.

Thanks for your advice!

Cooking is also relatively easy.  Slayer would take a while, but it does come along for free with combat training.  Thieving would probably be the most tedious and of course Construction the most expensive, so those might be good to save for later.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Cooking is also relatively easy. Slayer would take a while, but it does come along for free with combat training. Thieving would probably be the most tedious and of course Construction the most expensive, so those might be good to save for later.

Crafting has a higher gp:xp and prayer is super high as well. Construction is rather cheap in comparison to those.

Tranquil.png

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad

[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

Fletching would be the cheapest (other than thieving/hunter) but rc is fun skill imo

Fletching is used for some of the rewards, but it does not attract an adventurer... :P

I'd say Cooking is by far the easiest. Ideally, you want to start POP ASAP and get through the lower regions while training the many other skills. Having all those skills doesn't become really necessary until much later regions.

• Like 2

2dgucz6.png

Yeah both Steph's suggestions/comments are rather useless as neither fletching nor crafting will attract and adventurer. Whilst used for rewards they are not part of the 9 'ports skills' named thus for being tied to an adventurer.

Thoose are limited to Fishing (Whaler), Herblore (Biologist), Thieving (Convict), Runecrafting (Occultist), Slayer (Assassin), Prayer (Missionary), Hunter (Hunter), Construction (Architect) aaaaannnnd Cooking (Chef)

I'd say Runecrafting or Cooking are the easiest to get in order to unlock ports overall.

The order things adventurers unlock it doesn't really have a huge impact, but that being said Rc and Cooking have a slight edge because they both unlock adventurers AND can make rewards. Whilst the other 7 skills have no use in rewards, instead needing smithing, crafting and fletching to make.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Going with RC seems the most beneficial overall in my opinion, reason being:

1. 90 RC is used to attract Occultist, which lets you start ports

2. 90 RC is also used to craft Seasingers

3. The Occultist offers voyages that yields Chi, which is used to make Seasinger's

so basically for any one skill, 90 rc is almost entirely self-sufficient, while cooking is indeed easier to get, The cook doesn't actually offer that much spices on his voyages (bulk of the spices are offered by the assassin).

• Like 2

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Do keep in mind that it'll likely take at least a month before you have the trade goods and scrolls to actually get any rewards, so while Runecrafting is nice in that it gives an adventurer, trade goods, and lets you use those trade goods all in one, you'll have time to train other skills up for one of the other combinations anyway if you like.

I definitely do agree that if you've no preference on which skills to train, Runecrafting is the best one to start with. That being said, Prayer and Herblore have excellent uses outside of ports; since they also give access to Ports, you might want to prioritize those.

I think I did Prayer first, Runecrafting second, and Herblore third, because I wanted Prayer and Herb for combat stuff as well. Pretty sure Thieving was my last because I hate training it.

Which adventurer you have really won't matter for quite some time; it takes a while to get through the first few areas and build up ships and crew before you can really focus on the trade goods and scrolls at all. (That being said, if you get scroll missions early on, do them! Each time you gain access to a new area, the length of scroll voyages increases, so the more you can get early on, the less 15-hr voyages you'll have to do at the end, though you do have to weigh success percentages against that.)

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

There is no artisan.

Hunter, Chef, Architect, Whaler, Biologist, Missionary, Assassin, Occultist, Convict.

Hunter, Cooking, Construction, Fishing, Herblore, Prayer, Slayer, Runecrafting, Thieving.

That's all 9 current adventurers and their skills.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue