Does half of a shield even exist?

Blaze The Movie Fan

bo1SV.png

bo1Sx.png

Taken from my bank. So yes, it does; if shield left half didn't exist then dragon squares wouldn't be in the game...

ruins.png De_Elite_One.png

Inefficiency = fun. That's objective and can't be debated. Ever.

Blog to 200m in all skills.

Max cape achieved November 5th, 2011.

Completionist cape achieved December 29th, 2011.

Final Boss title achieved December 28th, 2014.

Trimmed completionist cape achieved November 7th, 2015.

Well, alright, it exists.

But I still find it odd that I never got it despite the fact I have been a RuneScape member since 2006 and have been fighting monsters since then.

Sure, I did take a long (over a year as a matter of fact) break from RuneScape, but that still leaves over five years of fighting monsters.

It's a 'very rare' drop on the rare drop table according to wiki.  I guess it depends on just how many monsters you killed in those years and how many have access to RDT as well :P.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

My account is nearing 11 years old and I've never had it as a drop either, so yeah it's just overly rare for the kind've junk it is.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

My account is nearing 11 years old and I've never had it as a drop either, so yeah it's just overly rare for the kind've junk it is.

I've also been playing for 11 years and have had about 10 drops. It's really isn't (or wasn't) all that rare, although it seems as though they were made more rare with the rare drop table update. KQ is probably the most likely monster to drop one given that she has no other significant drops. I've also got 2 of mine from there (one was worth over 3m(~purple partyhat at the time)).

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Well, it's not like I haven't gotten any items from the rare drop table.

I have gotten over 100 noted adamantite ores once, and over 30 of a clean herb (don't remember the name of it though), and tooth/loop half of a key several times.

And at the top of that, I have gotten dragon platelegs from steel dragons a lot of times.

How the heck are dragon platelegs more common than half of a shield if it's worth a lot less? Can someone explain to me the logic of this?

Simple:

Shields are predominantly useless in runescape, other than a few niche top end bossing situations.

So a t60 sheild is worthless, whilst the only t60 melee leg armour still has something of a use.

This is compounded by the fact square shields, which the shield half makes, give worse stats than kite shields. So no-one would go for a square shield when they could go for a kite instead.

Item rarity on a drop table is not the be all and end all factor of how it's value is derived - It's called supply and demand.

Despite having a rather limited supply the shields have little to no demand resulting in a low value.

Meanwhile the legs have a higher supply, but a much higher demand, thus creating value.

Jagex could decide to make a unique level 1 weapon the rarest drop in game, its not going to magically make it valuable because there won't be a demand for it.

Equally they could make some of the most useful items in game supremely easy to get (kinda like runes) it won't magically remove all value from them because there is a high demand for them.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

^ A level 1 unique weapon may have some cosmetic appeal to skillers :P.  But yeah, I get the point.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Taken from my bank. So yes, it does; if shield left half didn't exist then dragon squares wouldn't be in the game...

You could get them from 75k-ing...

I have had like 10 of them from slayer @56m exp.

2 from QBD in the past month. Fight her for a while, and say hello to the greater majority of the RDT.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

How the heck are dragon platelegs more common than half of a shield if it's worth a lot less? Can someone explain to me the logic of this?

What your asking is better tweeted to a Jagex Moderator, one relevant to balancing like Mod Timbo. It is not a question we can answer here. 

Please limit your topics to questions that actually can be answered by the community. The Help & Advice board is not for discussing theories and speculation. Your question has been answered to the best extent it could be. If you have any other question about game mechanics, feel free to make another topic or PM a moderator to see if it's an appropriate question to ask.

hzvjpwS.gif