Mod MMG leaves Jagex

Leik

Hey Everyone,

For the past six years I have had the immense pleasure of holding the position of CEO at Jagex. It is with a heavy heart that I write to you today to tell you all that this will be my seventh and final year at Jagex as I will be leaving this fantastic company and amazing talented passionate team this December.

I’ve been wrestling with just precisely how and when to say “goodbye” to not only all the amazing people at Jagex but of course to our beloved RuneScape community. Both have played such a seminal part in my life for what has seemed a lifetime and I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute serving both.

If I look back over the past seven years we’ve come a very long way as a studio and no bigger testament of that is RuneScape. Now in our 14th year together, RuneScape continues to evolve and reinvent itself time and time again.

One of my proudest achievements at Jagex has been our efforts of tackling Botting and Gold Farming. When I first joined this was a huge problem for the business which I understand had plagued the game and community for many years. Today the game is virtually bot free and with the introduction of Bonds, gold farming too has become almost inexistent. A year on since Bonds was introduced, and I am again so pleased so see so many players reap the benefits of many years’ hard effort and loyalty.

Back in 2009, I pledged that we would start talking to our community more, and keep you all in the loop after a decade of perceived secrecy. Fast forward to 2014 and I think we have done just that! The return of PvP in the Wilderness & Free Trade, the launch of Old School RuneScape and most recently, Legacy Mode, have all been driven by YOU!.

Add to that the launch of Player Power at the start of this year, I have been thrilled to watch both the team and the community readily embrace this new way of working together. I still think we can do even more and I know my good friend Mod Pips and the rest of the RuneScape team have some really ground breaking plans for 2015 (I won’t steal their rightful lime-light).

It would be wrong of me to say I have always got everything right, because frankly I haven’t, but I can promise you everything we’ve ever done was always done with the RuneScape’s best interests in mind. I do genuinely believe RuneScape now has the strongest, passionate and most committed team ever, and RuneScape’s future is in very safe hands indeed.

In all honesty, with my departure in mind, I have been taking a step back and passed the virtual baton to Mod_Pips sometime ago. I have no doubt he will continue to lead RuneScape into a very bright future. I know you will all afford Pips and the team the same passion, dedication, support and feedback (good and bad) I’ve been very blessed with over the years!

Lastly, I wanted the opportunity and honour to say “Thank you for playing RuneScape” one last time and I will continue to pop into game (on my choob account) for many years to come.

Have fun!

Cheers

Mark Gerhard

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/a-letter-to-the-runescape-community-from-mod-mmg

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

I'm honestly kinda psyched hes going. Whilst he has done better than some CEO (like his predecessor) in terms of game vision he still came across as far too business minded to really GET the game and what it really needed.

Of course there does need to be a business mind in the CEO, but it'd be nice to see someone with more of the creative gets gaming elements in the mix too so that the one with the power to steer the company as a business is guided by a balance of good for the game and good for the books.

Mod Pips strikes me as a very good one to take over, he always seems to be responsive and gets the playerbase from what I've seen.

• Like 2

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Im glad he is leaving. You cant begin a tenure talking about removing all membership advertisements and years later add RWT and SOF promotions glore. Wow you removed gold farming and bots by making easyscape and adding bonds...

Everything he has 'accomplished' never could reach the pre wildy days and its success anyway, no matter how hard Jagex tried to recapture the fanbase

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

While MMG might be to blame for the micro transactions and the explosion of them. I think it could of been much worse and for pure profit in the short term, making Runescape pay to win will bring in a lot of money (short term keep that in mind). I take MMG as the best of a bad situation because now we have the option of a much worse CEO coming in. I have fears of a puppet CEO from the investors. MMG was CEO before the investors so likely wasn't afraid to stand his ground on issues, the new CEO is coming in never knowing the atmosphere of Jagex before corporate investors took majority share.

Maybe we'll have an amazing new CEO that is more interested in cosmetic mtx, which are profitable and restores Runescape. But I fear we have a much higher chance of having a worse person in this position.

CquL9ly.png

It sounded like they were promoting Mod Pips internally?  Or did I misread that.

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

While MMG might be to blame for the micro transactions and the explosion of them. I think it could of been much worse and for pure profit in the short term, making Runescape pay to win will bring in a lot of money (short term keep that in mind). I take MMG as the best of a bad situation because now we have the option of a much worse CEO coming in. I have fears of a puppet CEO from the investors. MMG was CEO before the investors so likely wasn't afraid to stand his ground on issues, the new CEO is coming in never knowing the atmosphere of Jagex before corporate investors took majority share.

Maybe we'll have an amazing new CEO that is more interested in cosmetic mtx, which are profitable and restores Runescape. But I fear we have a much higher chance of having a worse person in this position.

Mod Pips has been with Jagex for years if memory serves.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Yeah, I think Pips might be a sort of de-facto CEO for a while? Might be made official but not sure.

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Mod Pips is and will continue to be the head of Runescape. But had confirmed on the rsb that he will not be the next CEO. On my phone atm so cannot source it, but should be pretty easy to find looking through his profile.

The next CEO will head all of jagex and be Pips boss.

CquL9ly.png

Mod Pips is and will continue to be the head of Runescape. But had confirmed on the rsb that he will not be the next CEO. On my phone atm so cannot source it, but should be pretty easy to find looking through his profile.

The next CEO will head all of jagex and be Pips boss.

Follow this link (it should show posts by Mod Pips); sourced in the second post.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I believe MMG have done a good work at Jagex. Certainly the SoF and SGS could be discussed. Especially as Jagex claimed that they would never EVER introduce microtransactions. But then he have kept it at, at least as I see it, reasonable standards. During his time as a CEO Jagex have also indeed got better at listening to the players. I mean, a couple of years ago, who would have thought we would get to vote on which quests we would like to see next in the game? I certainly didn't anyway.

Now I hope Mod Pips will do even better. RS still has a whole lot of potential for improvements of all kinds.

• Like 1

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I quit pretty much as soon as he took over as CEO, whether this is a coincidence or due to the direction he took the game I can't actually remember.

Personally, I was hoping Mark would have either got or applied for the CEO job.

In all honesty, he's (MMG) probably getting out before the game goes south even more.

I thought we established that Pip was NOT going to be CEO and they hadn't decided on a new one yet. I think the confusion stems from MMG saying he has been stepping back for a while and passing some of his duties to Pip so that they were covered in his absence while they find and train a new CEO.

Flyingjj.png

In all honesty, he's (MMG) probably getting out before the game goes south even more.

I think so as well.

IMO it is a good move by him (career-wise, given the state of the game when he took over, and the Present), and good for the company as well (for the same reason more or less).

Got to give MMG credit for acknowledging that he and his team have made multiple mistakes over the years (I am sure nobody would disagree on this). Whether things could have gone better does not matter anymore; damage has been done, game has arguably been tarnished.

Could the new team rectify the problems? Probably not in the foreseeable future.

In the discussion from a few months ago about the 200 --> 138, game decline, power to player and etc., I have mentioned that it was not entirely their fault for the perceived decline of the game. Time has changed; people move on. Perhaps it is time for newer ideas and a 'fresh face' CEO to come in and revitalise the game and its community. It is certainly going to be a tough job for the new team. Either way, wish MMG all the best and pray for the gamers/audience for whatever project he is engaging in next.

'Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' T.S. Eliot