Does logging out revert a farming plant growth?

puretppc

The first farming tick occurs 5 minutes after you log in, so if you log in during a growth window, you'll have to wait until the next growth window.

So what about the Herb crop yield rate? If I use Supercompost + Magic Secs + Juju Farming Potion + Supreme Greenfingers how much will I get on average? Will it be 5*1.1*1.33*1.15=8.41? Well not sure about the disease rate factored in but I believe it's around 10% with Supercompost maybe?

Also, I heard that higher level herbs have a very low chance of disease but yield fewer crops right? While it's the other way around with the lower level herbs?

Achieving.png

Also, check out my Youtube Channel for more awesome RS Videos and Guides!

If you use supercompost, your herb patch gets 5 "lives".

Each time you pick a herb from the patch, you have a chance of depleting one life. Once all 5 lives are gone, your patch becomes empty.

Magic secateurs lower the chance of you losing a life.

Higher level herbs have a higher chance of losing a life.

All herbs have the same chance of getting diseased, as far as I know.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

So what about the Herb crop yield rate? If I use Supercompost + Magic Secs + Juju Farming Potion + Supreme Greenfingers how much will I get on average? Will it be 5*1.1*1.33*1.15=8.41?

I don't think bonus herbs from Juju/GF aura stack off each other so they wouldn't be multiplicative.

Beyond that, I believe researchers figured there's about a 35% chance upon each picking that you'll consume one of the patch's lives and magic secateurs reduce that to 25%. My stats are pretty rusty so I couldn't tell you what that works out to be in terms of expected base yield. From the expected base yield you can calculate average total yield using the 33% and 15% from juju/GF.

Never heard of this. Any source?

So what about the Herb crop yield rate? If I use Supercompost + Magic Secs + Juju Farming Potion + Supreme Greenfingers how much will I get on average? Will it be 5*1.1*1.33*1.15=8.41?

I don't think bonus herbs from Juju/GF aura stack off each other so they wouldn't be multiplicative.

Beyond that, I believe researchers figured there's about a 35% chance upon each picking that you'll consume one of the patch's lives and magic secateurs reduce that to 25%. My stats are pretty rusty so I couldn't tell you what that works out to be in terms of expected base yield. From the expected base yield you can calculate average total yield using the 33% and 15% from juju/GF.

I heard they are supposed to stack off each other especially from herb farming and money making guides. So how does Juju farming work? Does it make the patch 33% less chance of losing a life or when a herb is picked, it has 33% chance of getting a 2nd one? Same goes for GF aura?

This source tells me that higher herbs = lower life loss + lower yield and vice versa for lower herbs.

If you use supercompost, your herb patch gets 5 "lives".

Each time you pick a herb from the patch, you have a chance of depleting one life. Once all 5 lives are gone, your patch becomes empty.

Magic secateurs lower the chance of you losing a life.

All herbs have the same chance of getting diseased, as far as I know.

Oh I see. But wait, I thought all herbs on average (including the account of disease) are supposed to yield like 6.8 per patch.

Also, does Magic Secs and GF aura give more experience if the extra crop is harvested?

Achieving.png

How I've always interpreted is that per pick, you roll at a 33% chance to get an additional herb for juju and roll again at an up to 15% chance for greenfingers. Increasing the average number of base picks you get is thus important. If the bonuses stacked off each other, then there would a chance of rolling 4 and 5 herbs in a single picking, but I've never seen more than 3.

Greenfingers and juju bonus herbs do not give xp.

The linked source is flawed in several ways. First of all, they don't even say what herb they plant in the big set! What was the planting and checking strategy for the big set? If two hours for the toadflax set, which is already a enough time for herbs to hit maturity assuming you don't mess up growth cycles, is already more frequent, how often do they even check their patches? The actual number of diseased patches that the second player encountered is also unstated which makes it difficult to determine how much the reduction in death rate is due to curing vs the properties of different leveled herbs. Finally, the sample sizes are way too different.

higher herbs = lower life loss + lower yield and vice versa for lower herbs

I think you mixed up the conclusion as the study suggests higher leveled herbs die more (~10% vs ~2% as they claim) and have a higher average live yield and vice versa for low level herbs.

What puzzled me about the entry is that it claims that it uses "optimal equipment", but doesn't mention Jujus or Greenfingers. Seeing this and all of the other problems with this article, I did some deep digging into the history of the page.

It seems some data was entered back in 2010 for a single small set by a lone user. Later on, another user just dumped another 650+ seeds worth of data into the data, with no indication if this was an addition to the existing data or a replacement.  The amusing piece is an edit made by one user that added most of the "analysis" following the data. Some of it is a cute attempt to apply statistical analysis (and in some cases incorrectly) and the rest is bad or poorly presented advice. It seems no one questioned it and let it stand; it baffles me how to this day no one has corrected or at least removed this shoddy entry.

It's stuff like this that make me appreciate more rigorously moderated sites like here at Tip.it. While I still don't think Tip.it has the capacity for as much breadth, the information when it is entered is almost always correct and well presented.

TL;DR That entry you linked is trash. Don't continue to rely on it for information.

There's a general trend that higher levelled crops tend to be more likely to lose lives, but there are some crops that don't fit this trend (I think sweetcorn is one). Mod Ash mentioned this in the OSRS forums a while back.

Also, higher farming levels also improve your chance of not losing a life, forgot to mention this earlier. From the same source.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

There's a general trend that higher levelled crops tend to be more likely to lose lives, but there are some crops that don't fit this trend (I think sweetcorn is one). Mod Ash mentioned this in the OSRS forums a while back.

Also, higher farming levels also improve your chance of not losing a life, forgot to mention this earlier. From the same source.

Lose more lives as in tend to have a lower harvest rate if grown successfully? But that's OSRS that claims that farming level increases chances of harvesting more herbs.

How I've always interpreted is that per pick, you roll at a 33% chance to get an additional herb for juju and roll again at an up to 15% chance for greenfingers. Increasing the average number of base picks you get is thus important. If the bonuses stacked off each other, then there would a chance of rolling 4 and 5 herbs in a single picking, but I've never seen more than 3.

Greenfingers and juju bonus herbs do not give xp.

The linked source is flawed in several ways. First of all, they don't even say what herb they plant in the big set! What was the planting and checking strategy for the big set? If two hours for the toadflax set, which is already a enough time for herbs to hit maturity assuming you don't mess up growth cycles, is already more frequent, how often do they even check their patches? The actual number of diseased patches that the second player encountered is also unstated which makes it difficult to determine how much the reduction in death rate is due to curing vs the properties of different leveled herbs. Finally, the sample sizes are way too different.

higher herbs = lower life loss + lower yield and vice versa for lower herbs

I think you mixed up the conclusion as the study suggests higher leveled herbs die more (~10% vs ~2% as they claim) and have a higher average live yield and vice versa for low level herbs.

What puzzled me about the entry is that it claims that it uses "optimal equipment", but doesn't mention Jujus or Greenfingers. Seeing this and all of the other problems with this article, I did some deep digging into the history of the page.

It seems some data was entered back in 2010 for a single small set by a lone user. Later on, another user just dumped another 650+ seeds worth of data into the data, with no indication if this was an addition to the existing data or a replacement.  The amusing piece is an edit made by one user that added most of the "analysis" following the data. Some of it is a cute attempt to apply statistical analysis (and in some cases incorrectly) and the rest is bad or poorly presented advice. It seems no one questioned it and let it stand; it baffles me how to this day no one has corrected or at least removed this shoddy entry.

It's stuff like this that make me appreciate more rigorously moderated sites like here at Tip.it. While I still don't think Tip.it has the capacity for as much breadth, the information when it is entered is almost always correct and well presented.

TL;DR That entry you linked is trash. Don't continue to rely on it for information.

Yeah it looks outdated. So wait, it's the other way around as in higher herbs = higher death + more herbs but vice versa with lower ones? This is probably why high level seeds are expensive compared to herbs (which probably forces people to check their patches more often). 

Also, does Watering a patch actually give more crops per yield (for allotments/hops)? Lets assume I only water it once in the entire lifetime (and it does not get diseased at all). 

Well I've decided to make my own Excel Spreadsheet for the Watermelon (no disease due to flower patch) and Snapdragon farming logs. The tools I used are Magic Secs, Normal GF aura and supercompost. So far for Watermelons I obtained an average of 17.625 per patch out of 5 full runs (8 allots per run).

Achieving.png

Yeah it looks outdated. So wait, it's the other way around as in higher herbs = higher death + more herbs but vice versa with lower ones?

Do not make this inference. The data shown here does not properly substatiate the claim. The main point of my spiel was that the study was garbage and that you can't draw anything from it. For now, discard this idea until you come across more stringent research.

This is probably why high level seeds are expensive compared to herbs (which probably forces people to check their patches more often). 

No. The reason for this is demand and supply. High levelled herbs are used in high level potions which are in greater demand than lower levelled potions. Additionally, high level seeds are much rarer than low level ones. MTK, which is a pretty significant supply of seeds, barely provides any of these seeds.

Also, does Watering a patch actually give more crops per yield (for allotments/hops)?

No, at least not directly. Watering only lowers disease rates. The less your crops get diseased, the faster they grow unimpeded and the less they die. These effects help yields in the long run.

> So far for Watermelons I obtained an average of 17.625 per patch out of 5 full runs

That seems a bit on the low side. I'm currently doing snape grass and getting closer to 20-25 per allotment per run (over 40 runs).

Yeah it looks outdated. So wait, it's the other way around as in higher herbs = higher death + more herbs but vice versa with lower ones?

Do not make this inference. The data shown here does not properly substatiate the claim. The main point of my spiel was that the study was garbage and that you can't draw anything from it. For now, discard this idea until you come across more stringent research.

This is probably why high level seeds are expensive compared to herbs (which probably forces people to check their patches more often). 

No. The reason for this is demand and supply. High levelled herbs are used in high level potions which are in greater demand than lower levelled potions. Additionally, high level seeds are much rarer than low level ones. MTK, which is a pretty significant supply of seeds, barely provides any of these seeds.

Also, does Watering a patch actually give more crops per yield (for allotments/hops)?

No, at least not directly. Watering only lowers disease rates. The less your crops get diseased, the faster they grow unimpeded and the less they die. These effects help yields in the long run.

> So far for Watermelons I obtained an average of 17.625 per patch out of 5 full runs

That seems a bit on the low side. I'm currently doing snape grass and getting closer to 20-25 per allotment per run (over 40 runs).

I guess many high leveled players tend to farm out the highest herb so that creates the demand. Herbs are just expensive in general because of farming has no ways of 100% protection from disease and the yield is really small. White lilies do not even affect it. 

Well the Wikia claims watering does make a difference in the yield (no disease assumed). But there is no point in protecting disease if the flowers already protect it anyways (at least for allots). 

Uhm, Snape Grass might be a higher yield maybe because they take 2x longer than watermelons and require a much higher farming level.

Achieving.png

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZT_JSc30gyJwtpdvGl0E6dPUv5dDwbZF7MCKzJKGB7w/edit?usp=sharing

Conclusions from this and some other experiments:

Supercompost gives 3 extra lives. We assumed that there were 5 lives in total, but I can't find this data or the calculations done to arrive at this conclusion. Previously, we believed that supercompost only gave 2 extra lives. I need to speak with Thai about this.

Magic secateurs don't have a huge effect on herb yield. It has been shown that they increase the chance of successfully picking an herb to 75%, but this doesn't result in a significant increase. You can expect a little over 160 extra herbs per 1000 patches.

There doesn't appear to be any significant difference in yield between different levelled herbs. This data shows the comparison between Shengo and Snapdragon, but no correlation between level has been found in other experiments either.

Regarding other questions raised in this thread:

The average herb yield was found, experimentally, to be 7.53 herbs per patch (with snapdragons). Juju makes that 10.04. Legendary greenfingers makes that 11.17. I don't remember the error ranges on these values.

The average death rate is 13.19%±1.13%. This makes the average disease rate 4.6%±0.42%.

I don't think watering herbs does anything.

Herbs can't be watered

Watering in general seems worthless not only because plants can protect allotments, but because disease rates are so low with supercompost and the hassle of watering every growth cycle is probably not worth the reduction. In terms of yield increase, it would have to be pretty significant (15%+ in my opinion) for it to be worth it for the same reason above.