29 September 2014 - Patch Week & Pure resets

Arceus

if you want to get bonus xp to swap, play HM BA and put your bonus xp on firemaking -- it's close to 2m bxp/hour

I'm not certain this works.  Apparently the trade-in price doubles every 200 points–not just the initial 200.  Can anyone confirm?

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

I, and a few others, had a chat with Chris L today. Apparently he still doesn't seem to understand that there's something wrong when t90 shields are like 5M a piece, and cheaper than t70 shields. Or why this isn't exactly a great incentive to do RoTS. He just brushed it off, and was all like "well, t90 shields are still useful!". How clueless can you get? Instead of buffing up the shields so that they might increase in value and people might be more inclined to do RoTS, or even some of the proposed changes in the EoC/Legacy Beta for T90 shields (that were suddenly dropped), they have to take the most backwards approach and just tweak the fight instead. Why couldn't they have done both?

• Like 3

I, and a few others, had a chat with Chris L today. Apparently he still doesn't seem to understand that there's something wrong when t90 shields are like 5M a piece, and cheaper than t70 shields. Or why this isn't exactly a great incentive to do RoTS. He just brushed it off, and was all like "well, t90 shields are still useful!". How clueless can you get? Instead of buffing up the shields so that they might increase in value and people might be more inclined to do RoTS, or even some of the proposed changes in the EoC/Legacy Beta for T90 shields (that were suddenly dropped), they have to take the most backwards approach and just tweak the fight instead. Why couldn't they have done both?

I am in agreement with you because traditionally t70 and onwards there is an introduction of special effects to armour and weapons. Spirit shields play into the prayer niche with the corporal beast. The rots shields should have something like a "shadowy force" effect that has a chance to engulf you in a shadowy haze reducing in coming damage. This could be an eclipsing effect which when it procs ends up lowering your stats.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Beast-of-burden familiars can now be filled directly from the bank.

all i care about

What can i get for 10 m bonus pray xp and 15m bonus hunt xp :shades:

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

all i care about

Probably everything lol.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

all i care about

if the price doesn't double every 200 credits, you could get about 6m prismatic bxp (roughly a 1:4 ratio if you go on huge stars)

If it does, then don't even bother

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

I can't help but think of it in D&D terms: you're comparing a shield with an okay defense bonus to a shield with a smaller defense bonus and damage reduction... when you're fighting an enemy that's probably going to hit you anyway. Am I off base, there?

one rots shield is good for one thing lol... merciless for rago base tanks.

Wait, 5m a pop? they degrade to dust dont they?

Popoto.~<3

t90 shields can be repaired.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I can't help but think of it in D&D terms: you're comparing a shield with an okay defense bonus to a shield with a smaller defense bonus and damage reduction... when you're fighting an enemy that's probably going to hit you anyway. Am I off base, there?

Well, one of the things EoC did was that it made most mob monsters very very easy (some people derisively call it 'Ease of Combat'). Even at lower levels you can easily kill most slayer monsters without ever needing a shield, just about all of them in fact. Prior to EoC, I can recall using my DFS, even as a high level, on some stuff. So on most normal monsters, you don't need a shield at all (even my lower level IRL friends whom I have given shields/gear to, don't ever use them for slayer or any sort of training, even as they went from low levels to roughly about 90+ slayer/120+ combat). The only place you need shields for are if you're tanking monsters that deal a lot of damage (such as Vorago), and there, damage reduction matters a lot. So in the few situations you need a shield for, the 30% damage reduction of the T70 shields is very significant, and blows away the armour rating of the T90 shields. So it's warped.

one rots shield is good for one thing lol... merciless for rago base tanks.

Yup, and even quite a few base tanks prefer Arcane, despite the better Res from Merciless.

Nope, they don't degrade to dust.

Shields are always going to be a hard sell when everyone wants to hit bigger numbers.  Wasn't that the point of multiplying everything by ten in the first place?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Shields are always going to be a hard sell when everyone wants to hit bigger numbers.  Wasn't that the point of multiplying everything by ten in the first place?

Not quite. It's not as simple as everyone loving to hit bigger numbers. It's an objective fact that in most situations in Runescape, shields are completely unnecessary, and that using dual weilding or just DPS stuff will get you faster, more efficient kills, and you will take way less damage. Why would anyone, or should anyone, use shields if they are in actuality worse? Obvious solution: make shields more useful.

The casual noob player may be like big number r sexy amg derp derp.

But anyone with an iota of sense cares about survival not *just* big numbers.

And in that context shields are all but useless, aside from a few niche bossing tank roles you don't need a shield to survive anywhere to the extent that using a shield will actually make you take more damage because the small def bonus does not lower damage taken enough to offset the longer kills caused by losing 50% of your damage.

Its sort of like monster A in a fight with dual or 2h will hit you 4 times for ~500 dmg each. 2k damage per fight.

Monster a using a shield will only hit you for ~400 dmg a time, but you lost 50% dps making the fight 50% longer so it now hits you 6 times for 2.4k dmg per fight.

That extra defence just made you take 400 more damage per kill whilst also slowing you down.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Off weapons are only like 25% of the damage in legacy mode.

Shields are good if you can't use a two-hander.

I only use my drygore mace on quest bosses.

I'm going to by a divine shield once the prices stabilize a bit.

Definitely better than dual wielding against anything tough.

• Like 1

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Introducing duel wielding in the first place was just a terrible mistake. It's a stupid idea, makes no physical sense (wielding two maces or two longswords simultaneously? it can't be done, at least not well), and unbalanced the game by essentially obsoleting shields. Defenders were a much better balance.

• Like 1
Grate_Scot.png

The price of credits does double every 200, not just the first lot. Traded in about 2m mining xp for only about 500 credits

• Like 1

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

Shields only useful for wilderness tanking large FI's now. :).

• Like 1

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

So how has the shadow realm mechanic been changed?

I did some more rots today. When you get shadow realm'd everyone on both sides goes in for the remainder of the kill. All of the brother's *SPECIAL* attacks do extra damage (double I think, but not sure). Bombs and spins appear to do normal damage. Basically, if you get a spear in you, you are going to die if you don't get it out in 5 seconds. Wall jumps do about 4k damage, and you take constant 500s when pounded in to the ground.

At the start of the kill, there is one brother that says "You dare to disturb the shadow!" which will be seen in your chat box. This is the only brother that can shadow you, so you can choose to focus him in order prevent getting shadowed. 

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Pre-EoC; you didn't have anything to put in your off-hand other than some defenders and that water-book thing for 1 handed spellcasting things.

Shields were the default for a long LONG time, even over most 2h weapons since their damage didn't offset their lack of speed.

These days, 2h and dualwield has been balanced (roughly) but the DPS that you lack isn't made up by the defensive abilities and bonuses that a shield (or something stupid like it, such as the shieldbow) provides.

Fortunately, I have it on good authority that they're seriously considering implementing a standard damage reduction for all shields above a certain level that increases the higher the levels go, and that this damage reduction is supposedly stacking with the one they're thinking of implementing with your defense level.

All this should come with an update designed to make your ranged, magic and strength levels have a much more significant impact on the damage you do, meaning it's not just who has the highest level weaponry anymore!

bullshit-clarkson-made-that-up.gif

• Like 3

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!