Clearing an old username and returning after a long while

essiw

Hi all :)

Some people might remember me, I was website crew years ago (especially for the items section).

So I have been away from runescape for years and I would like to start a new account, a DIY account. Then I saw that RS is making the Ironman mode, so I couldn't be happier.

First questions:

I have an old account with a username, I would like to take over that old username for my new account. But I don't want to buy membership on my old account just for the sake of changing the username. Are there ways to work around that? Sadly I logged in a few times over the last couple years and just did (not in game, but in preferences) to see if the name was still mine... The account is really old so I doubt that even when I change the name I will get it cleared soon.

Second question:

A lot has been happened in RS when I was away, I think I stopped when they added micro-transactions in the game (somewhere in 2011 I guess). And I would like to know what big things were added. Though the RS website archive is horrible to browse through (you can click on only game updates, but as soon as you want to see more the game updates is unselected again), so I wondered if someone has a better site to quickly view the updates (or tell them, but I am sure you guys are sick of people asking this question over and over again).

Also I tried to search for it, but I just don't understand, what are the differences between the old combat style and the new one (named EoC I guess?).

What about daily challenges, I see you need to turn in the resources, then is it worth it (except for skills like fletching) for a skiller (not a pure skiller, so training combat too) and a resource hoarder?

I don't get the new skill, what it the point of it, except for the banking items? All other things seem only a small benefit to me.

Can someone give me more insight about the new elven city? I loved the elven quest series, so is this an extending of the quest line or is the city's purpose something else (I think I read something about clans, which I don't participate in).

Oh and dual wielding weapons, how does this work and why is this (is it different from defenders?) I always loved shields, but they seem to be less and less useful

How is the game going against bots? Last time I was there (2011) bots where taking over again, despite the better anti-bot measures.

Thanks for reading and for the answers :)

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

For the first question: Does your old account still have the name?  If so then you'll either have to wait up to 2 years (if it's been a member before) to be able to claim it.  If this is the case, you can buy one month of membership, change your name immediately, and perform a second name change before the month is up.  Then you should be able to claim it on a new account, unless the system has changed.  Alternatively, if you have a good chunk of wealth in cash, you can buy an item called a bond which you may redeem for membership or for a free name change before the 28-day cooldown is up.  You still need to be a member to be eligible for any name changes, though.

Secondly, RuneScape Wiki has a nice list of updates here if you find that easier to browse through.

Daily challenges can be worth it.  Some are more time consuming than others.

The new skill, Divination, doesn't frankly have a ton of content, but some of it is very useful.  It's slightly tedious/semi-afk to train, and the main benefits are things like Divine Locations (place a short-lived portable spot to harvest resources) and porters (bank items without a bank!).

The Elven clans are more of a lore issue and not specifically related to the in-game clans you see running around.  I don't have access to the city but many others here do and could tell you more.

Against bots personally I think the game is going alright.  You see some but, for example, nature runes aren't 100 gp anymore.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

For the first question: Does your old account still have the name?  If so then you'll either have to wait up to 2 years (if it's been a member before) to be able to claim it.  If this is the case, you can buy one month of membership, change your name immediately, and perform a second name change before the month is up.  Then you should be able to claim it on a new account, unless the system has changed.  Alternatively, if you have a good chunk of wealth in cash, you can buy an item called a bond which you may redeem for membership or for a free name change before the 28-day cooldown is up.  You still need to be a member to be eligible for any name changes, though.

Yeah it still has the name. I could check to see how much money I have on that account. Two years is a lot to wait for :( Wasn't there something like changing your username twice would make the first one go away quicker?

Secondly, RuneScape Wiki has a nice list of updates here if you find that easier to browse through.

Daily challenges can be worth it.  Some are more time consuming than others.

The new skill, Divination, doesn't frankly have a ton of content, but some of it is very useful.  It's slightly tedious/semi-afk to train, and the main benefits are things like Divine Locations (place a short-lived portable spot to harvest resources) and porters (bank items without a bank!).

The Elven clans are more of a lore issue and not specifically related to the in-game clans you see running around.  I don't have access to the city but many others here do and could tell you more.

Against bots personally I think the game is going alright.  You see some but, for example, nature runes aren't 100 gp anymore.

Thanks for the link :) , that is already a lot better, though still not optimal.

About the bots, that seems good, though I am not worried about prices (since I will be doing Ironman) but more about slayer places and things like mining.

Thanks for answering my questions :)

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Yeah it still has the name. I could check to see how much money I have on that account. Two years is a lot to wait for sad.gif Wasn't there something like changing your username twice would make the first one go away quicker?

That's what I was trying to say - change it a second time and it should be freed up immediately, unless they made more changes to the system.

And about mining, you should be fine.  If all else fails, foreign worlds are usually free of bots and the powertraining spots (i.e. Rimmington mine) are often empty.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Ok thanks :), I somehow skipped that part of your sentence. I seem to have a bit of money it should be enough for at least one bond (which is less expensive than I thought it would be). Maybe I can manage the second too...

Retired item crew

• 2 weeks later...

So I got an other question. I just now came to the conclusion that protection prayers don't block 100% of the damage anymore. So does that make certain creatures, like metal dragons, and quest bosses, more difficult?

Also I don't see any of this prayer related stuff being updated on the website (prayer skills guide, monster guides like metal dragons), is this a huge oversight or just because there is not enough crew available? This makes me worry about more outdated stuff on the website, as I rather use tip.it than other sources.

Retired item crew

To kill higher level dragons and such, it makes antifire potions/dfs pretty much a necessity.  The low level ones just don't do that much damage, if I recall right.  As for quest bosses I'm not sure - we also have a lot more life points and hit higher these days than before so that kind of balances it out.

I'm not on crew, but they are running a recruitment drive - if you are interested see here :).  You're also more than welcome to submit corrections in the appropriate forum.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Thanks again for the answers, I didn't think about the character being stronger :) I would be willing to join crew if I had lots of free time, which I sadly don't :(

Retired item crew