Runefest 2014 Discussion

Urza285

Mod Mark really wants to make in-game shops useful

FINALLY.

Don't get your hopes up, he said something to the effect that it is his eternal quest to find a way to do it.

Quick, write him up a quest guide!

• Like 2

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Mod Mark really wants to make in-game shops useful

FINALLY.

Don't get your hopes up, he said something to the effect that it is his eternal quest to find a way to do it.

Quick, write him up a quest guide!

Start point: Speak to design team leader

Membership required: Yes

Official difficulty: Medium

Length: Very long

Required quests:

•  High school diploma
  •  Business degree

Skill requirements:

•  61 Creativity (Assistable)
  •  37 Leadership
  •  19 Livestreaming (Assistable)
  •  68 Design (Assistable)
  •  Ability to overcome substantial design challenges
  •  Ability to defeat high level (120-138) disgruntled players without food or armor

Items required:

•   Up to a year's payment for design team

Giving the order

1. Start by speaking to the design team leader. After exhausting all of the options, talk about starting a new project. Explain that you want to make shops more viable, and confirm you want to start production.
  2. Mention the project on a livestream. Explain to the playerbase that it is your life's goal, and that you will do what must be done to make it happen. Mention that "it will be polled."
  3. Check in on the design team from time to time. The project takes a different amount of time for different players, but most report it being completed within 6-12 months. You may be required to assist the team in any of the listed skills.
  4. When the project is complete, you will receive either an Update (Good) or Update (Bad). Right click the update and choose " schedule for upload" when near a pc.
  5. Make sure to present the project in the BTS article and explain how it will benefit players and how it is a great thing, regardless of its actual state.
  6. Talk to the design team leader. Quest complete!

Rewards

• 1 quest point
  • 10,000 Leadership experience
  • 7,500 Livestreaming experience
  • Ability to hear rants from players about the update
  • 2 Treasure Hunter keys for use in Treasure Hunter
  • 2 Hearts of Ice for use in Treasure Hunter
  • Like 4

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Out of curiosity, what was this years' Runefest exclusive item? There was the Banner, Hood then Cape in previous years.

Home teleport animation, where you ride away with the runefest dragon mascot.

What I learned from watching the Runefest Stream (granted, I didn't watch it all, but I am watching the rest of it):

it never ceases to amaze me how much the OSRS developmental manages to do with such little resources and manpower, while how little the RS3 seems to be doing with such vast resources and manpower; the RS3 team always seems like they're coasting along with no plans whatsoever. Despite the fact that the OSRS team is so small and limited they seemed to have all sorts of intricate plans for the future. The RS3 team, on the other hand, in recent Q and A's and what not, seemed to be mostly without any concrete plans for the future, and a lot of "we might think about it", or "we don't have the resources to do that".

A shame. And I say this as someone who does not play OSRS and has no plans of ever doing so.

• Like 5

Thing is, the OSRS team can cut out a lot of things the RS3 team can't because its just simpler. The textures and graphics are much simpler, they don't have the more intricate music, the playerbase isn't as demanding about weekly updates. 

They can also have a lot bigger and more coherent plan because they only really have a few projects at once. Whereas RS3 is trying to shuffle around a lot of stuff.

• Like 1

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

What I learned from watching the Runefest Stream (granted, I didn't watch it all, but I am watching the rest of it):

it never ceases to amaze me how much the OSRS developmental manages to do with such little resources and manpower, while how little the RS3 seems to be doing with such vast resources and manpower; the RS3 team always seems like they're coasting along with no plans whatsoever. Despite the fact that the OSRS team is so small and limited they seemed to have all sorts of intricate plans for the future. The RS3 team, on the other hand, in recent Q and A's and what not, seemed to be mostly without any concrete plans for the future, and a lot of "we might think about it", or "we don't have the resources to do that".

A shame. And I say this as someone who does not play OSRS and has no plans of ever doing so.

Yes this is true, but at the same time a lot can be said for how much more complicated it must be to work in the RS3 development environment. You also hear a lot about running out of time in their graphics allotment or about how they don't have the graphics budget for that. 

RS3 is just bigger, and has so many more things to worry about breaking when you are developing something.

Also, here is an official summary of all the things from Mark's talk: http://services.runescape.com/m=news/runefests-big-reveals?jptg=ia&jptv=community_news

Flyingjj.png

Meet the Maker Sessions have been uploaded to the rs youtube. Unfortunately the Ninja one wasn't recorded.

Meet the Makers - Content

Mod Lewis R, Mod Daze, Mod Moltare, Mod Deg and Mod Timbo

Meet the Makers - Elf City

Mod hunter, Mod Ante, Mod Alex R, Mod Rowley, Mod Stacey, and Mod Giara

Meet the Makers - Lore

Mod Stu, Mod Raven, Mod Osborne, and Mod Chaose

Meet the Makers - Oldschool Runescape

Mod John C, Mod Ronan, Mod Ash,Mod Reach, and Mod Ghost

Meet the Makers - PvM

Mod Chris L, Mod Ramen, Mod C3DPO (Dean), Mod Harrison, and Mod Ollie

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

This

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

I just watched the Meet the Maker's session (the Elf City one and the PVM one). I have to say the Elf City team of J-Mods, well, firstly, I didn't know most of them prior to this; so a lot of unfamiliar faces. But still, they seemed nice, and they seemed dedicated to the project and seemed to know their stuff and excited for it. And they seemed to have worked very hard and obviously have various interesting plans. So I will give them props for that. I gained a new found appreciation for Mod Stacey and the rest of the team who was up to this point unknown to me.

The Ninja team and PVM team though, still seem very complacent, lazy and unresponsive to player demands/needs. A shame.