Behind The Scenes - November

Urza285

Behind the Scenes - November 2014

Elf City Part 2, improved Treasure Trails, a rockin' quest featuring the elder gods, and a weekend of Double XP madness are up for grabs in RuneScape this month.

Read on to find out more!

Double XP Weekend

We’re starting November with a bang… a big, double XP shaped bang!

From now, until midday on Monday 3rd November, members will get double XP for almost every activity in RuneScape, and free players 1.2x XP.

Get your banks ready for a levelling fest!

Elf City - Part 2

elf_city_hefin.jpg

Our first new update of the month sees the final parts of the elf city being added to the game, a huge addition making it officially the largest city in Gielinor, both in terms of size and variety of content on offer.

For those of you who are yet to visit, there’s never been a better reason to complete the Plague's End quest and unlock Prifddinas - the jewel in RuneScape’s crown.

There’s so much to it - here are some of the highlights.

For Agility training, there’s a brand new course for players over level 77 in the skill, with bonus rewards for higher-level players. Keep your eyes open for hidden shortcuts. There’s also a daily tai chi-inspired agility training method elsewhere in the city.

You’ll be able to make crystal flasks which can hold 2 or more different potions, combining their effects in many different ways. Some of these recipes you'll unlocked via dungeoneering.

You’ll have access to crystal singing, which allows you to convert your own crystal seeds into weapons, shields, tools and teleports. There's an NPC who can upgrade your dragon pickaxe or hatchet, too. Level 75 Crafting, Construction and Smithing are required.

There’s the Motherlode Maw, a Dragonkin statue that grants special rewards to those with 2490 skill level total and at least 115 Dungeoneering. Accessible daily with motherlode shards - which you

may have already started collecting - it should prove useful to anyone working on their completionist and trimmed completionist capes.

Cleansing crystals – a new way of training prayer for anyone over level 75.

Access to shadow cores – a new combat creature that allows you to gain Divination XP. They can also get you light cores – the secondary ingredient for a new divination summoning creature, granting more time in Tears of Guthix, and faster XP gain while gathering memories.

Edimmu: level 90 slayer targets who drop a new type of ash, a pet and an upgrade for certain amulets.

There are also new perfect potions, gorajo cards, rewards for impling collecting, new titles, new pickpocketing targets, lore, lamps, capes… So much!

There are also plenty of changes to the existing city based on your feedback, including boosts to the Voice of Seren.

Treasure Trails

We've been busy making a bunch of new Treasure Trails, which will be added to the game this month.

We've also made some important changes to the way that all Treasure Trails work: updating items needed to complete them.

You'll also be able to reroll rewards or improve your rewards on future trails if the rewards you get aren’t great.

Of course, with new trails come new rewards! These include explosive barrel backpacks, dyes for your level 90 gear and an updated general rewards list to make Treasure Trails much more lucrative.

Heart of Stone

Heart_of_Stone_Golem.jpg

Those of you at RuneFest or watching the streams from my 2015 reveal talk will know all about our first Elder God-series quest, which we have now called Heart of Stone. If you haven’t watched it, you really should! But I’ll give you a quick rundown now.

Heart of Stone is a low-level quest, requiring 25 Runecrafting, 35 Magic and completion of the Carnillean Rising and Rune Memories quests.

Have your wits about you as you hunt a dangerous criminal across the world. You’ll be joined by a golem with the unique ability to track down a hitherto unknown teleport spell. There'll be combat along the way, and plenty of puzzles to get your teeth into.

During your quest you’ll find out more about the elder gods, learning about their motivations and origins via relics hidden around RuneScape, making this quest a treat for lore lovers.

Guthixian Caches

Let's not forget Guthixian Caches - an awesome divination D&D that the Ninja Team deftly deployed earlier this week.

Originally billed for the first week of November, the ninjas put their masked noses to the grindstone and got it in game in time for Double XP weekend.

If you haven't tried it yet, check out the news for more details and give it a go!

Well of Goodwill

Through the whole month of November we’re re-opening the Well of Goodwill - in both the RuneScape main game and OSRS - where you can deposit in-game items, gold or Bonds and donate to a charitable cause.

Pop in your unwanted stuff and we’ll donate a US dollar for every 5 mil of wealth that you generously give. We’ve got three great charities lined up – AbleGamers, DonateGames and YoungMinds – and you can choose which your donation goes to, or split it among them. The choice is yours.

There are two new titles to earn, plus three cool tunics available at Solomon’s, from which all proceeds go to charity.

Solomon's Store

Solomon’s made some changes to the weapon override feature to make the system more flexible and he has added some new fancy new threads to his store this month.

There are two outfit sets, focused around Nex and the KBD respectively, with visual upgrades available for those who wear the sets while slaying the boss.

Death's Door - Ending 3rd November

After almost two weeks of ghost-hunting, the Death's Door Halloween Event ends with Monday 3rd November's game update.

A couple of other NPCs who've set up shop around Burthorpe's lodestone - Balthazar and Vic the Trader - will also be leaving the game on Monday, so tie up any business you have with them this weekend!

Have Fun!

Enjoy all that extra XP this weekend. Have fun!

WOOTERS OUT!

Mod Mark

RuneScape Design Director

What is Behind the Scenes?

Behind the Scenes is a sneak peek at the planned game updates that we hope to launch in the coming month.

This, however, is only a plan - not a promise - that a particular update will be released in a particular way or at a particular time. To get you the highest quality updates as quickly as possible, we usually keep on tweaking and testing right up until the moment before release, so sometimes things change or take a bit longer than expected. We aren't afraid to change our plan if necessary, as we will never launch an update before it is ready.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Was November 1st really the best day to reopen the well, in the middle of the xp weekend?  Oh well.  It doesn't look like a whole lot of content overall though.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I wonder how motherloade maw is going to get me a completionist cape.

Because, I'm never going to nex, vorago, the spider thing, the neon jesus things, or livid farm ever again.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

I wonder how motherloade maw is going to get me a completionist cape.

Because, I'm never going to nex, vorago, the spider thing, the neon jesus things, or livid farm ever again.

It never claimed to be free comp cape. Only a small assistance. If you refuse to put the rest of the effort in of course you'll never achieve it.

Tranquil.png

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad

[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

It seems like a rather full month to me; Both the elf city update and the elder gods' quest will be big pieces of content. I am sure that both of them have taken a ton of work. More than the average release as of recently for sure. And before someone comments something along "Ninja updates etc doesn't count, Jagex have just turned lazy as *beep* recently, and no longer gives us proper updates bla bla"; We haven't had a no-update week for a very long time now. Certainly not every update have been huge, but isn't it important that we get small add-ons that increases the playing experience as well? 

I am myself mostly looking forward to the quest, as the lorehound I am. Hopefully we get to know more about the golems; They seem to be very important. 

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Oh are they releasing that quest this month? I must have been reading too fast because he was talking about the 2015 reveal talk he gave so I assumed they just meant some more spoilers or something.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Looks like a really solid month. Prifddinas batch two is obviously the best thing there, but treasure trails getting an update as well is something I'm really excited for. I really hope the average loot from clues goes up from 10k/clue to hopefully a couple of hundred k, that'd be perfect. Doing clues is easily one of the things I enjoy the most on RS, but it's such a shame they are worthless at the moment.

Quest also sounds interesting.

I just really hope that new Agility course/method is somewhat AFK (Ideally like pickpocketing elves). Agility is beyond terrible at the moment (as is Fishing, but oh well). I'm hoping for the best anyway.

• Like 1

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

You can AFK fish rocktails or monkfish way better than divination.

This yoga thing better be far less than optimal for xp rates if people are going to be afking it.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Are there any more specifics out about how the motherlode thing helps you work towards comp / trim? Last I heard (ages ago) they scrapped it giving castle wars tickets because existing trimmers complained. That being my last req, I'm curious if they decided to be jagex and just go with it anyway.

ruins.png De_Elite_One.png

Inefficiency = fun. That's objective and can't be debated. Ever.

Blog to 200m in all skills.

Max cape achieved November 5th, 2011.

Completionist cape achieved December 29th, 2011.

Final Boss title achieved December 28th, 2014.

Trimmed completionist cape achieved November 7th, 2015.

Last they said about the maw was it'd be giving things to help when you work on trim reqs.

So like maybe you'd get a thing that gives a bonus or multiplier to cwars tickets for a few games.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I hope they allow us to use the dyes on dominion tower weapons. Third-age dye on a dominion staff would look epic.

flere_imsaho.png

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapabale of solving approaches zero.

Ensure you are not a social situation.

I hope they allow us to use the dyes on dominion tower weapons. Third-age dye on a dominion staff would look epic.

Imagine the dyes on a staff of oblivion.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I wonder if I should wait to train a few of these skills if easy super-AFK methods are coming out with Prif-II.. lol. Fishing, namely.

Lol, was lured for Seis the other week (11 year veteran go figure.) Not moaning, just sayin I was super excited for 3A Dye, but now it's going to be a while until I can put these dyes to good use. They are still my goal, however. ;)

White+Black 3rd Age Tectonic + Seismic Wand&Sing (and Comp Cape soon enough ;D) I will have you! It'll just take a bit longer than I expected :)

The quest seems to have a neat premise at least. The concept art there reminds me of my favorite thing ever, the old Tok-Xil model!! XD

2dgucz6.png

There won't be a training method for Fishing in batch 2.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Yeah none of the elf clans are fishing related so no new fishing training - at best we may get a few spots for existing fish types on the sea-front side of the city. But even that is a bit of a long shot.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Yeah none of the elf clans are fishing related so no new fishing training - at best we may get a few spots for existing fish types on the sea-front side of the city. But even that is a bit of a long shot.

I already asked them this, and they said no.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Really? None of the clans are fishing related?

Wow.. and here I was thinking that all the skills were represented in the clans. FAIL. IF anything, divination shouldn't have been there.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

8 clans, 2 skills a piece. 16/26 ain't half bad.

Plus since iorwerth 'melee' is 2 skills and iorwerth and cadarn melee/magic/ranged kinda includes def and hp as sub skills of combat its actually incuding 19/26

Plv6Dz6.jpg