[16-2-15] Ninja Update – Return of the Wildywyrm

Leik

They should change it where, if you attack someone who has been in combat with a wyrm, the wyrms attack the PKers.

Because now, as long as you don't attack a wyrm, you are safe from them..

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I finally got my first wildywyrm task. So I blocked it.

Great content we got this week.

Why would you block it? They're great xp and the chance of getting a t85 weapon add-on is increased on-task.

And the area is level 35 single-way wilderness, not hard to surge out and tele with a ring of wealth if you meet pkers. You can't expect to not get pked in the wildy.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Why would you block it? ....You can't expect to not get pked in the wildy.

You answered your own question. A lot of players absolutely hate the Wilderness, even in its hayday a large portion of the game avoided it, let alone now that we've had around 7 years of minimal risk deaths for people to adjust to. Players hate real risk because its annoying.

• Like 2

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

You can't expect to not get pked in the wildy.

That's the reason right there. Personally, I don't like pking. Runescape pvp is frustrating, not fun, and I don't want to have to worry about it when doing a non-pvp activity (slayer).

I also don't like how Jagex has always pushed these updates as something to "increase activity" in the wilderness. Turning one ditch into a pvp ground zero doesn't restore the wilderness to its former glory; it removes all of the fun from the primary users of the content. The wilderness should be populated with people who want to pvp, and there are hundreds of games that prove people will compete with each other with the only reward being the fight. The fact that the wilderness is a ghost town isn't due to there not being enough skillers running around, it's due to pvp not being inherently fun enough to keep a stable pool of players around. Forcing players into a pvp zone by sacrificing potentially good content is not, and historically has never been the answer.

• Like 1

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

You can't expect to not get pked in the wildy.

That's the reason right there. Personally, I don't like pking. Runescape pvp is frustrating, not fun, and I don't want to have to worry about it when doing a non-pvp activity (slayer).

I also don't like how Jagex has always pushed these updates as something to "increase activity" in the wilderness. Turning one ditch into a pvp ground zero doesn't restore the wilderness to its former glory; it removes all of the fun from the primary users of the content. The wilderness should be populated with people who want to pvp, and there are hundreds of games that prove people will compete with each other with the only reward being the fight. The fact that the wilderness is a ghost town isn't due to there not being enough skillers running around, it's due to pvp not being inherently fun enough to keep a stable pool of players around. Forcing players into a pvp zone by sacrificing potentially good content is not, and historically has never been the answer.

I think part of the problem is that the PvP itself is kind of fun, but not enough to go out of your way, and definitely not when you're risking something. There was a large amount of players engaging in PvP for WE2. If they had that sort of PvP anywhere for no loss then I think it could get more people PvP'ing.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Why would you block it? They're great xp and the chance of getting a t85 weapon add-on is increased on-task.

And the area is level 35 single-way wilderness, not hard to surge out and tele with a ring of wealth if you meet pkers. You can't expect to not get pked in the wildy.

Great xp? yeah, you sort of killed your own argument before it even got started. They are definitely not a good task.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

You answered your own question. A lot of players absolutely hate the Wilderness, even in its hayday a large portion of the game avoided it, let alone now that we've had around 7 years of minimal risk deaths for people to adjust to. Players hate real risk because its annoying.

I used to hate anything to do with PvP and the wildy as well, until warbands came out. 

Once you know how to defend yourself, fight back and kill other players trying to do the same to you, you'll realize how fun and easy it is. If you choose not to do so, of course you will hate it.

It's the same with plenty of things honestly, like how killing all bosses was made a comp requirement, but that's a different story.

• Like 2

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

I used to hate anything to do with PvP and the wildy as well, until warbands came out. 

Once you know how to defend yourself, fight back and kill other players trying to do the same to you, you'll realize how fun and easy it is. If you choose not to do so, of course you will hate it.

It's the same with plenty of things honestly, like how killing all bosses was made a comp requirement, but that's a different story.

Yea, being forced into it for comp just made me hate bossing more tbh, especially when I have friends who still can't get the cape back due to that req. I've started to like bossing a bit due to going for pets, but trying to force people into it is probably not the best solution. I think the RS version of PvP is just too punishing currently for most players, if there was a way to allow people to use their best gear I think it would be more popular. Like maybe requiring you to deposit money before entering (like 50-100k) and on death the pk'er gets a voucher to claim your deposit.

• Like 1

Yea, being forced into it for comp just made me hate bossing more tbh, especially when I have friends who still can't get the cape back due to that req. I've started to like bossing a bit due to going for pets, but trying to force people into it is probably not the best solution. I think the RS for of PvP is just too punishing currently for most players, if there was a way to allow people to use their best gear I think it would be more popular. Like maybe requiring you to deposit money before entering (like 50-100k) and on death the pk'er gets a voucher to claim your deposit.

Yeah the risk part is definitely a problem. A LOT of people wear rags (read: bare minimum risk) during warbands, and during wilderness wars as well. Plenty of people only use t90 weaponry alongside Penance and don't bother going back once they die. That's why I like purple portal wars inbetween fc's, because you can take in as much risk as you want without losing anything.

Tbh I prefer the post-eoc pre-legacy wilderness death system, in which that you're automatically in skull status in the wildy (you will lose all items except your +1 with protect item). I dislike the current skulling system, because it doesn't reward people who attack first, assuming you're attacking an un-skulled person.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Yea, being forced into it for comp just made me hate bossing more tbh, especially when I have friends who still can't get the cape back due to that req. I've started to like bossing a bit due to going for pets, but trying to force people into it is probably not the best solution. I think the RS for of PvP is just too punishing currently for most players, if there was a way to allow people to use their best gear I think it would be more popular. Like maybe requiring you to deposit money before entering (like 50-100k) and on death the pk'er gets a voucher to claim your deposit.

Yeah the risk part is definitely a problem. A LOT of people wear rags (read: bare minimum risk) during warbands, and during wilderness wars as well. Plenty of people only use t90 weaponry alongside Penance and don't bother going back once they die. That's why I like purple portal wars inbetween fc's, because you can take in as much risk as you want without losing anything.

Tbh I prefer the post-eoc pre-legacy wilderness death system, in which that you're automatically in skull status in the wildy (you will lose all items except your +1 with protect item). I dislike the current skulling system, because it doesn't reward people who attack first, assuming you're attacking an un-skulled person.

The fact that you can be effective in rags is a lot of the problem. Make it so that armor isn't simply a formality, and bingo, good pkers are rewarded with actual loot instead of a royal dhide set and a glory. With people using at least barrows gear to defend against most common threats, pkers stand to make at least some decent money (the entire point of dangerous pvp), and it may get some new people into the wilderness that actually want to be there.

The fact that you can be effective in rags is a lot of the problem. Make it so that armor isn't simply a formality, and bingo, good pkers are rewarded with actual loot instead of a royal dhide set and a glory. With people using at least barrows gear to defend against most common threats, pkers stand to make at least some decent money (the entire point of dangerous pvp), and it may get some new people into the wilderness that actually want to be there.

I feel it would have the exact opposite effect. Already there's a lot of people who won't even risk rags, you'd probably have a lot more people refuse to enter if you needed better gear.

Risk needs to be lower or most people will always avoid it and it will stay mostly dead.

During the busy time of the Wilderness before it got killed, the best gear was barrows but 99% of players still used Rune. Players just don't want to risk several million.

During the busy time of the Wilderness before it got killed, the best gear was barrows but 99% of players still used Rune. Players just don't want to risk several million.

99% of players used rune because they had 45 defense..........

• Like 1

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

The only time I liked the Wilderness, was in the summer of 2004, where fights were decided by easy stuff like armour, levels and weapons. The biggest thing to fear was a teleblock or a pure with insane stats.

These days however, those that remained of the PvP department have a lot of abilities to render us apart within seconds. Not only am I not willing to lose stuff because I'm slaying.

I'm also not going to learn the whole PvPesque combat. That's too much to ask for me. I can handle the QBD, but god no, please don't put me up against a PvPer who has perfected his ways of killing others. That's not why I was in the wilderness.

And thus, I have to decline every wildywyrm task, I can't be bothered.

The only time I liked the Wilderness, was in the summer of 2004, where fights were decided by easy stuff like armour, levels and weapons. The biggest thing to fear was a teleblock or a pure with insane stats.

These days however, those that remained of the PvP department have a lot of abilities to render us apart within seconds. Not only am I not willing to lose stuff because I'm slaying.

I'm also not going to learn the whole PvPesque combat. That's too much to ask for me. I can handle the QBD, but god no, please don't put me up against a PvPer who has perfected his ways of killing others. That's not why I was in the wilderness.

And thus, I have to decline every wildywyrm task, I can't be bothered.

You mean the summer of 05?

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/magic-and-wilderness-updates ;)

• Like 1

Erm, no. In the past I knew how to pk, I did it because I was a clan leader of a small dutch clan (pking was just one of the events), but still I didn't like it all. I am one of those persons that doesn't like rollercoasters, because I don't like the adrenaline pumping through my veins. Yes I get that from pking, even when I don't really risk something, which is why I try to avoid the wilderness at all costs (except for clues and quests). Also (in my view) most pkers didn't pk to kill skillers, but to kill other pkers. Yes you had the occasional tele blocker when you where training rcing, but most pkers would let you go through if they saw you weren't wearing anything. Putting things like that in the wilderness is only fun for a small amount of people, people that like to combine pking and skilling.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

I feel it would have the exact opposite effect. Already there's a lot of people who won't even risk rags, you'd probably have a lot more people refuse to enter if you needed better gear.

Risk needs to be lower or most people will always avoid it and it will stay mostly dead.

That would also work. Right now you can't reliably make money pking, and you can't just pk for fun (by fun I mean safe clanwars with all of your gear). Jagex needs to pick a side and stick with it. Either make pvp reliably profitable, or make it safe and all about the fight, not the loot.

99% of players used rune because they had 45 defense..........
Most people used rune over barrows, even at around 110 combat. I was a maxed tank and finding people with barrows armor was pretty uncommon.

Edit: most of my opponents wore similar gear as this poor guy that I beat up. People with barrows gear like me didn't like to skull :P

82ne2xy.gif

• Like 3

77yLQy8.png

Am I missing something or are 2/3 of these weapons useless?

The whip has no off-hand and the bow is a shieldbow.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

Nope, that's what the situation is. Until people on Reddit make a big enough deal about it.

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

The bow is also restricted to level 70 arrows as far as I'm aware, although I'd expect that to be fixed.

The only one that's useful out of the three is the shieldbow tbh. We already got a t90 staff and a t90 melee main-hand, only the shieldbow fills that void.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

The only one that's useful out of the three is the shieldbow tbh. We already got a t90 staff and a t90 melee main-hand, only the shieldbow fills that void.

I believe the point was to provide an option between t80 and t90 that is easier to get than the POP options. Those effectively fit the role, or at least will whenever someone actually gets them.

The bow is also restricted to level 70 arrows as far as I'm aware, although I'd expect that to be fixed.

I have seen people say that you can use t90 arrows to get full t85 damage. Well 2/3 or whatever of t85 damage, because shieldbow.

• Like 1

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20