Are you serious? This rule still exists?

Blaze The Movie Fan

http://services.runescape.com/m=rswiki/en/Real-world_trading

By no means would I ever dream of breaking one of RuneScape's rules, but I have to call out on the hypocrisy of that rule.

You are given the option of buying keys for the treasure chest, for REAL money. How the heck does that not count as real-world trading?

If they claim to enforce that rule, they shouldn't give players the option of using real world cash to get keys for the treasure trails.

This is a huge hypocrisy which I must point out.

The kicker was really when they removed this paragraph in April 2012:

We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape.

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

And how exactly does that make the rule any less hypocritical?

a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

It can't make it less hypocritical, because it's already not hypocritical. You're assuming that Jagex is on the same level as you, and that they abide by the same rules as you do. They are not. They create the game. They offer you the opportunity to play the game, and what demands they have of you. There is no hypocrisy because there are no virtues, principles, or publicly approved attitudes. This is a contract between the two of you.

• Like 1

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

If the rule is not referring to using real dollars to buy treasure keys, why even call the rule "real-world trading"?

Wouldn't a better title for the rule be no trading through third-party software? Alright, maybe that isn't exactly fitting, but the name of the rule should change to a name that's more fitting.

If the title of the rule would change, I guarantee I won't think of it as hypocritical.

Because the rule has always been about one player trading real world currency to another player for in-game goods, because players don't own in-game items. Those are Jagex's property, and by RWT-ing you are selling things that aren't yours and making money off somebody else's intellectual property, which is illegal.

• Like 1

Because the rule has always been about one player trading real world currency to another player for in-game goods, because players don't own in-game items. Those are Jagex's property, and by RWT-ing you are selling things that aren't yours and making money off somebody else's intellectual property, which is illegal.

I am willing to admit you got me here. In that case there is nothing that fits it more than calling it real world trading.

Yeah that is a legitimate reason for calling it real world trading.

For example if I own a movie on DVD or Blu-Ray that only means I own a physical copy, it doesn't mean I have the rights to do what I want with it.

The same applies to RuneScape membership.

I no longer feel they're hypocritical. It was my mistake to not see how the discussion three years ago ended. But can you really blame me? Nobody feels like digging up old posts to see that.

I'm glad we are beating this dead horse again

Don't worry I'm done.

^you can better compare it to renting a DVD as you don't owe anything on runescape. Your character, items in-game money all belongs to jagex.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

^you can better compare it to renting a DVD as you don't owe anything on runescape. Your character, items in-game money all belongs to jagex.

Not entirely though, if I made a video showing my stuff and call it mine, Jagex won't even mind.

The example of buying a DVD/Blu-Ray works just as well as renting. If you own something on DVD/Blu-Ray it doesn't mean you can freely upload clips of the movie or TV show. The movie itself is still a property of the movie company.

• Like 1

Yeah technically they won't mind because you are sanctioned under the law "Fair Use" which means that although you are taking video with their graphics and game, you are also adding on your content to it and using it for educational/entertainment purposes.

Technically if you want to take a small clip from a movie and use it in conjunction with something else you are producing it may be okay, but it's kind of a grey area. Whether or not you stand to make a profit off such an endeavor would also effect it. Of course you you would have to clarify the source as well, not claim the clip as your own.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.