How do I make good suggestions/rants?

Recently I replied to the old awful suggestions I made back in 2005. I did it because I had to acknowledge how bad they were, it was long overdue. In fact I didn't think about these bad suggestions until just now.

I have said that I was gonna take a three month break from the suggestions/rants forum. But keep in mind that only means break from making threads. I will still give my own thoughts on threads other users make.

Anyway, I already know what not to do when making suggestions. That's not what this thread is about. What I don't know is what I SHOULD do when making suggestions/rants. I know thinking it through and thinking if it's a good idea or not before making the thread is a start.

But any other tips you guys can give me?

I know that no matter how hard I try there will always be someone who doesn't like what I say, which I'm totally fine with. I just want my suggestions/rants to be somewhat good if you know what I mean.

Probably spend more time reading and understanding people's suggestions, where they're coming from, and how the metagame works...I mean until recently you didn't even want to use any weapon above dragon. If you don't want to explore more content, try new things, or read through pages of other people's comments, it's not easy to make a good suggestion. Take advantage of sources like our own site and RS Wiki to thoroughly research stuff so you know what you're talking about and why something may or may not work before making a suggestion. Many times you can learn new things and they're not necessarily printed in big bold text, but they are there if you look.

That's just my two cents on it for now, but I'm sure others will have more to add.

• Like 6

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

On rants: If by good, you mean getting quite a few people interested and initiating a friendly debate, you need something that is not hugely controversial but does pick at the nerves of people enough to pipe up.

These are somewhat hard to come by.

user1-dark.png

Id suggest doing research on the topic, maybe find things out about the topic, if the idea already exists or such. or if it exists in game. 

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

Blaze your content gets a massively negative reaction because you don't play the game at all. It seems like you are oblivious to 90% of the content thats come out and you have no sense of what content is efficient to use to achieve a goal. The net result being that your insights into scape are worthless because you offer no new insight to what the average poster already knows.

The only advice I will give you is that your insight is pointless unless you bring yourself to actually explore the game. Get 80+ all stats, read grimies spread sheets (or w.e the equivelent now adays is), get a quest cape, kill araxxor and maybe you will be able to come up with things to say that are relevant to the average poster here.

As far as rants go find gameplay mechanics that are relevant to players that don't work anymore. Such as perhaps a topic about why the wilderness is useless for pvp now adays.

As far as suggestions, take a look at the style of content people want and an interesting way to implement it. One example could be an afkable way to train agility that fits with the style of the game and is unique and interesting.

And for god sakes don't ever bring up dragon weapons again

It's not true that I "don't play the game at all", in fact I play it every day. However, I mostly do the same things over and over again, and yeah, I don't pay attention to the new content that much, I am willing to admit that.

I'm not gonna do my best to train all the levels as high as possible, I wanna take my time with them. As for getting a quest cape, not happening any time soon because like I said I like to take my time.

But yeah you are overall absolutely right. I can't make a good suggestion if I don't do research or do any new content. I will keep that in mind if I make another suggestion after three months are up, which I probably won't.

The only thing in this post I don't agree with at all is the final line. No, I can talk about these if I want. I know most of you are trying to force down my throat that I'm not allowed to like them. But guess what? They are my favorite types of weapons of the game. And it doesn't matter what the situtation is, forcing an opinion down people's throats is NEVER ok. Of course I am open to other types of weapons and am willing to give them a chance. But saying that I'm wrong for liking what I wanna like only proves that you guys want everybody in the game to like the same thing, and if they don't there is something wrong with them. That's the kind of mindset I hate.

I think getting and maintaining a quest cape alone will fix your problem. And any skill you are under lvl 80 I can honestly say you don't know much about it and thats being fair go on the 200m in all skills thread and they would say you don't know a skill until your lvl 120 in it :lol:

and your free to do whatever you want including posting about content you hardly understand or posting about bronze daggers (read dragon weapons) but if you want to connect to other players you should really consider conforming to the culture they've built for themselves. Now adays scape culture is min maxing 

I understand exactly what you mean. But the thing is if I get the quest cape too quickly, I won't have anything to do when I wanna take a break from what I usually do. Doing a quest is usually how I take a break from that.

Oh and don't worry I'm sure that after I'm done with all the monsters I'm killing my fletching, crafting and even smithing level will be over 80 for sure. It probably won't be until this Christmas, but I'm a patient man.

Don't worry, Jagex will still release new quests...albeit probably not with the same voracity as they once did.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Don't worry, Jagex will still release new quests...albeit probably not with the same voracity as they once did.

True, but there still are a lot of old quests worth doing, and I like to do them when I feel up to it.

Rushing to get as many skill capes as possible is not my idea of fun, in fact it's the exact opposite for me.

That's perfectly fine, but there's also something to be said for achieving say level 80+ in all skills - by then you understand a good part of the content in all of them, even if you haven't finished the grind all the way :lol:.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Don't worry/ask about some of the most minute details of the game. Most of the things you've asked/suggested/ranted about were about some of the smallest things in the game that no one would notice. Those that do notice don't worry about it too much. That's what I've picked up on regarding your posts.

Finally on here to update that I have officially quit! It's been fun.
[hide=Signature]
Gandalf14141.png
R.I.P Billy Mays and <3 My Friend C.D.S 7/8/09 <3
60,816th to 99 Fletching 03/07/09|220,309th Person to be Able to Kill Dusties 10 Year Cape on 12/20/14[/hide]

grammar2gr8dx.png

I have been thinking about it and made up my mind.

I won't be making any threads in rants/suggestions anymore.

The reason for that is because I realized that in order to make a good thread in either forum it's not enough to do just some research, I need to do a lot. At the top of that I need to play many different aspects of the game, and all that is incredibly overwhelming. And it would also remove the fun out of the game for me, so it's best if I just don't do it at all.

So yeah, and even though the threads I made this decade in the suggestions forum aren't anywhere near as bad as the ones made in 2005, they're still very bad.

In the future if there is something I'm wondering about, I will just make a thread here in help & advice, and if I wanna discuss something I'll go to the Questionnaires forum. Sure, it requires research to make threads here as well, but at least there I'm asking others questions, so I'm not really saying something that's wrong.

That's perfectly fine, but there's also something to be said for achieving say level 80+ in all skills - by then you understand a good part of the content in all of them, even if you haven't finished the grind all the way :lol:.

Or just read a lot, I never got 80+ in all skills, but I wouldn't say I am not informed enough ;)

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

I understand exactly what you mean. But the thing is if I get the quest cape too quickly, I won't have anything to do when I wanna take a break from what I usually do. Doing a quest is usually how I take a break from that.

Oh and don't worry I'm sure that after I'm done with all the monsters I'm killing my fletching, crafting and even smithing level will be over 80 for sure. It probably won't be until this Christmas, but I'm a patient man.

Getting the quest-cape too quickly is never a problem imho - if you find yourself otherwise bored of the game (from the grind - and subsequently do not have a quest to do) there are many d&ds, tasks and completionist requirements you can work on instead of skilling

Alternatively, you can make a new (ironman) account and do the whole process again :)

Luck be a Lady

Getting the quest-cape too quickly is never a problem imho - if you find yourself otherwise bored of the game (from the grind - and subsequently do not have a quest to do) there are many d&ds, tasks and completionist requirements you can work on instead of skilling

Alternatively, you can make a new (ironman) account and do the whole process again :)

I see what you mean, but no thanks. I don't want the quest cape at all.

I already got the coolest cape in the game anyway. (thieving cape(t))

It is the coolest one in my opinion, shows I'm a wanted criminal, which makes people fear me.

Furthermore I don't find any of these activities that fun. When taking break from my usual stuff I like to do something with a good story, which is what most quests do have.

You don't have to wear the cape.

I don't have to obtain one either.

Look, I don't play the game RS for skill achievements or anything like that. That's not my idea of fun.

I might need a quest cape if I were to make more suggestions/rants, but I won't, I'm totally done with that.

I don't want a quest cape, simple as that. Why is it so hard to accept?

You went through and necro-posted 10 year old threads which no one actually gave a damned rats-ass about. Then attempted to console yourself, publicly, as some form of pitiable, self-inflicted, narcissism equivalent to constructing a large neon sign pointing to said thread saying 'Hey guys, look how [bleep]ing dumb I was 10 years ago, "[bleep] me, right?" '.

You then go and ask users on the very same forum - for advice on how to post constructive, critical and poignant content so that you, as a whole, would get more gratification from any half-assed ideas you may come up with in the future. Very reasonable advice was given, only you go onto say "Well clearly, making the effort to make good content is beyond me - so why should I bother".

If you want to go on your way and pretend you have been forbidden by some magic fairy that says "Thou shalt ne'er post hastily drawn conclusions bereft of thought and consideration", then please do so.

I have little concern for how you like to occupy your time in RS with fun, you are free to use your time as you please even if it includes publicly slapping yourself on the wrist.

You had asked for (genuine) advice - and that advice was given. You have seemed to have made your bed - and I shall leave you to loudly snore.

Luck be a Lady

You went through and necro-posted 10 year old threads which no one actually gave a damned rats-ass about. Then attempted to console yourself, publicly, as some form of pitiable, self-inflicted, narcissism equivalent to constructing a large neon sign pointing to said thread saying 'Hey guys, look how [bleep]ing dumb I was 10 years ago, "[bleep] me, right?" '.

You then go and ask users on the very same forum - for advice on how to post constructive, critical and poignant content so that you, as a whole, would get more gratification from any half-assed ideas you may come up with in the future. Very reasonable advice was given, only you go onto say "Well clearly, making the effort to make good content is beyond me - so why should I bother".

If you want to go on your way and pretend you have been forbidden by some magic fairy that says "Thou shalt ne'er post hastily drawn conclusions bereft of thought and consideration", then please do so.

I have little concern for how you like to occupy your time in RS with fun, you are free to use your time as you please even if it includes publicly slapping yourself on the wrist.

You had asked for (genuine) advice - and that advice was given. You have seemed to have made your bed - and I shall leave you to loudly snore.

Alright, let me ask you something. How was I gonna acknowledge that these suggestions I made 10 years ago were bad if I didn't criticize them? I pretty much needed to do that otherwise I'd probably be ashamed of them years down the road. Now that they're off my mind, I don't have to think about them anymore and I won't.

And yes, I am totally aware that I can make good suggestions if I put effort into it. But the thing about it is, I honestly don't wanna make new content for RuneScape anymore. I'd rather leave it to the professionals who know what they're talking about. Because honestly, the only way to make good ones is to no longer have fun with the game, and force myself to do all bunch of things I know I won't have fun with. There really is no point in that.

And no I'm not ignoring any of the good advise I got, not at all. But really it all boils down to that I need to do a bunch of things I won't have fun with before I can even make a good suggestion.

You know what? I'm just gonna mark this thread as "answered", and hopefully we can all just let this thread die out. There is no point in this anymore. I know I have already wasted the time of a lot of you, and I do apologize for that, but I promise this discussion is over now. If I get another reply I won't answer. (unless I have something to say which I probably won't because I have no reason to defend myself further.)

I'm done.