How are "elite clue scrolls" supposed to be a higher diffuculity than "hard clue scrolls"?

Blaze The Movie Fan

I have been thinking about it and came to the realization that not only are majority of rewards from elite scrolls worth less than the ones in hard clues, what you're supposed to do is also easier.

The only things you could argue are harder are the guthix wizard and the celectic knot puzzles. Everything else is almost as easy to do as easy scrolls.

Following an arrow is so simple you don't even have to look up what you're supposed to do.

Not to mention some of the clues flat out tell you the location of next destination. All you have to do is scan until you find the right place, it takes just a few minutes.

And I have yet to get a riddle from elite scrolls, or something that requires me to wear something. Literally every other difficulty of clues have both.

Despite everything I said, elite scrolls are usually rarer than hard clues. And many boss monsters drop elite scrolls instead of hard clues. Can someone please tell me how elite scrolls are supposed to be a higher difficulty? Because I really don't see it.

I think elites send you through more steps..though not 100% sure. And also some of the Elite clues like scans can be a real pain once in a while (in particular Chaos Tunnels). Other than that, I agree, they don't seem to be that much more difficult.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I think elites send you through more steps..though not 100% sure. And also some of the Elite clues like scans can be a real pain once in a while (in particular Chaos Tunnels). Other than that, I agree, they don't seem to be that much more difficult.

That might be true, but most of these that require scanning lead to a city which takes five minutes at most to travel around in. Or any location at all for that matter that take five minutes at most to explore fully.

If you're asking how they differ (you aren't, but let's pretend you actually know how to post in the right section for once), they have a different subset of puzzles, more steps to complete on average, combat encounters have a higher cmb, and the unique elite rewards are supposed to be some of the hardest to achieve. Again...all of this on the wiki, would literally take one second to look at.

If you're just complaining about why elites aren't actually "elite" (which you are, shocker) then you've gone outside the scope of H&A and really shouldn't have posted here. Go post on the rants forum, where this should've been moved to in the first place.

• Like 5

hzvjpwS.gif

If you're asking how, they have a different subset of puzzles, more steps to complete on average, combat encounters have a higher cmb, and the unique elite rewards are supposed to be some of the hardest to achieve. Again...all of this on the wiki, would literally take one second to look at.

If you're just complaining about why elites aren't actually "elite" (which you are, shocker) then you've gone outside the scope of H&A and really shouldn't have posted here in the first place.

Yes, I am complaining. But believe it or not, I did actually think before making this thread, I didn't just make it because it just came to mind, I have been wondering about how elite scrolls work for quite a bit actually.

As for more steps? Hardly, thanks to the lodestones, you can go to the required spot the arrow leads to in a matter of seconds. And I already explained how easy it is to scan.

And yeah, I am looking at the RS wiki article now, but to be honest, all it's stating is stuff I already know as I have done these scrolls on many occasions.

I know this is possibly more fit for "rants", but I promised I'd never make a thread there again, and I don't break promises.

Also, the unique rewards might be more valuable, but that's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about the common rewards. The common drops in hard clues are more valuable.

There's really no need to be so harsh :P. Wiki doesn't exactly compare and contrast the difficulty of different tiers of clues (or if there is a dedicated page, I must have missed it) - it's just sort of implicit that easy < medium < hard < elite, nominally, going by name alone and the fact that they're numbered 1/2/3/4, respectively. It's a valid question for those of us who may not have done hundreds of clues and might be wondering.

And Blaze, I understand that you were asking for more information, and if you would rather not post in those forums that is fine. But please don't post topics in a different forum just for the sake of avoiding posting in a forum, because it will most likely be moved there at any rate and it's really just running in circles :P.

(Also, now that this is cleared up, I'm moving it over now.)

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Thanks for moving, but I still feel horrible for breaking a promise. I technically have now since this is in the rants forum.

I guess I should have just kept silent about this and kept it to myself, not because my arguments are bad, but because I made a promise not to post in the rants forum again.

It's because the value of some elite rewards have dropped. Fury ornament kit used to be worth over 15m+ but now dropped down to around 1m. They however added dyes now and such... so I think elite is still worth it over hard. Considering druidic is worth alot more if you're lucky to get one.

I don't think clues are meant to be hard in general actually, it's really meant to be a fun D&D in which you obtain loot from a casket after completing series of clues. Though the wizards have gotten alot weaker but EOC seemed to have that effect with some monsters. :/ I'd like the wizards to be challenging again but I doubt that'll happen now. 

Edit:

And back in 2010, elites were dropped by bosses and monsters above a certain level. Thus why one reason it could be a higher level of difficulty then hard clues. 

Scapin' since September 2007 and Hardcore Ironwoman since October 2014.

Thanks for moving, but I still feel horrible for breaking a promise. I technically have now since this is in the rants forum.

Don't be selfish and flood H&A with rant topics when people use that place to genuinely seek help, please

hzvjpwS.gif

It's because the value of some elite rewards have dropped. Fury ornament kit used to be worth over 15m+ but now dropped down to around 1m. They however added dyes now and such... so I think elite is still worth it over hard. Considering druidic is worth alot more if you're lucky to get one.

I don't think clues are meant to be hard actually, it's really meant to be a fun D&D in which you obtain loot from a casket after completing series of clues. Though the wizards have gotten alot weaker but EOC seemed to have that effect with some monsters. :/ I'd like the wizards to be challenging again but I doubt that'll happen now. 

They are fun to do, I'm not denying that. I find these puzzles very interesting.

Don't be selfish and flood H&A with rant topics when people use that place to genuinely seek help, please

Alright, I get your point. But here is the problem.

By posting in the rants forum I am breaking a promise I made.

Next time I have some issue I will just keep it to myself, it's bad enough I broke this promise once I'm not doing it again.

So yeah, when I have something to complain about next time I'll just keep it to myself, won't post it here or the help & advice forum either.

That's not a solution to a problem. I don't want you to stop posting, just careful. >_>

Here's a hint though: practically any rant topic can be polished up to be worth posting in General Discussion. Shift the focus from compaint to constructive and it's a more than acceptable GD topic.

Keep posting because it's good to have active discussion, but just be a bit mindful. That's all.

• Like 2

hzvjpwS.gif

That's not a solution to a problem. I don't want you to stop posting, just careful. >_>

Here's a hint though: practically any rant topic can be polished up to be worth posting in General Discussion. Shift the focus from compaint to constructive and it's a more than acceptable GD topic.

Keep posting because it's good to have active discussion, but just be a bit mindful. That's all.

You know what you're absolutely right. I overreacted because I thought breaking a promise makes one a despicable person.

But as long as I think a thread in the rants through, there won't be a problem, and I did just that with this thread.

And so far nobody's complaining about how I "broke a promise", I'm the only person who's bringing that up.

Elites used to be more prestigious than hard clues, they were only dropped by bosses, where as hard clues could be farmed from low mobs, like Jellies.

I do however agree that elite clues are leagues easier to do than hard clues.

Hards, you have coords, anagrams, emotes, maps, and puzzle boxes.

Elites, only have scans and compasses, with knots and puzzle boxes.

i like elites because I can do them without having to look up the wiki and the knot puzzles are relaxing to me.

I dislike hards, because I really do not like the puzzle box of the river. Everything is blue. I do not like that. And I refuse to pay 100k for a puzzle ticket to skip it.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Yes, I'm aware of the guides, I just dislike hard clues because I must use them.

Whilst I am not 100% sure if this will help you, Blaze, I'd say you were wrong about the general worth of Elites. Considering just how many of each tier of clue I've done, and by working out an average (which I can further support in two weeks, thanks to Jagex doing a stream of 10,000 elite caskets being opened), I would say that elites are still worth more than hards. Yes, the actual clue item may not be worth much, but its the other loot in the clue that pushes up the worth. With the various herb and tree seeds, royal dhide and even the unicorn horns, it adds up to a pretty nice total. 

DdzSE8e.png

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Blog

Can you link to where they opened the 1k elite and hard clues?

I assume you meant 10k? They actually have not done the Hard and Elites yet. They have opened Easy and Mediums so far, Hard next week, and presumably Elite after that. In case you're interested:

Link for the 10,000 Easy clues

Link for the 10,000 Medium clues

Unless you were referring to Old School - let me know and I can track that down for you, but I think that was last year.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

I would've thought blazeposts were elaborate trolls until I saw his youtube video. 

I don't really blame you for that. Most of the times I made posts without even knowing what I was talking about. But that wasn't the case with this thread though since unlike previously I actually thought if it was a good idea to make it or not. And I'm glad.

Whilst I am not 100% sure if this will help you, Blaze, I'd say you were wrong about the general worth of Elites. Considering just how many of each tier of clue I've done, and by working out an average (which I can further support in two weeks, thanks to Jagex doing a stream of 10,000 elite caskets being opened), I would say that elites are still worth more than hards. Yes, the actual clue item may not be worth much, but its the other loot in the clue that pushes up the worth. With the various herb and tree seeds, royal dhide and even the unicorn horns, it adds up to a pretty nice total. 

I'm also taking into consideration if I'd use what I get or not.

I don't sell nature runes or law runes since I plan on using them. Same goes for the royal dragonhides, rune bars and the antifire potions. If I don't sell the items I'd use, they really are worth less than regular hard clues.

I would've thought blazeposts were elaborate trolls until I saw his youtube video. 

I don't really blame you for that. Most of the times I made posts without even knowing what I was talking about. But that wasn't the case with this thread though since unlike previously I actually thought if it was a good idea to make it or not. And I'm glad.

I don't sell nature runes or law runes since I plan on using them. Same goes for the royal dragonhides, rune bars and the antifire potions. If I don't sell the items I'd use, they really are worth less than regular hard clues.

Well you could look at it from a money saved stand point then? :p

DdzSE8e.png

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Blog

Jagex won't incorporate your own personal values into the game though.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Jagex won't incorporate your own personal values into the game though.

Well, there is a reason this is in the rants forum and not the suggestions forum. I'm not expecting Jagex to change anything I'm just stating my viewpoint.