PSA: Death Rework LIVE next week!

Urza285

Compliments to ImRubic for putting out a notification on reddit.

Death Rework

Players will now respawn in Death's realm with the ability to buy back their lost items for 24 hours, should they decide not to return to their gravestone before it expires.

Always saved on death' items now default to the inventory rather than being held by death as well, meaning auras don't deactivate on death

Death' inventory has been split into two inventories, one for backpack and the other for equipped items.

Updated graphics for entry portal

Gravestones now have a much shorter duration. (The Royal Dwarven Gravestone lasts 3 minutes.)

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Did I miss something or did we never really approve/vote for/sanction this? Almost like Jagex wants to scare us half to death with this sudden update.

How will this scale for F2P gravestones? 1 minute for starting off? That doesn't seem like enough :S.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

This is one of those 'it needs to be done so we are doing it get used to it' kinda updates; though it has lurked on the beta for a while now.

I'm just glad they saw sense and made the buy back somewhat optional instead of scrapping the free return grave thing entirely - though the times do see rather on the harsh side I mean sure 12 (15?) base timer was a bit much really but only 3 minutes for the best grave in-game? Ouch! Though I suppose the time was only ever a huge issue in getting back to GWD and now instances mean your grave is dumped outside the kc door does it not?

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Are signs of respite going to work the way they were described in the old devblog? Consuming signs to cut down your buyback cost by a fixed amount isn't going to make them that useful.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Guess I will be questing naked in the future :3 I still have no money on ironman and don't want to spoil myself to much by reading guides for quests. But I see this as a good update, brings back the old feeling of the game where everyone was afraid of dying, finding someones loot in karamja because someone died of poison. Fun times, but maybe that is just because it is how it was before and I might be biased by that :P

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Except we won't find stuff on the ground - it goes to lucky old Death's office :(. Although just imagine if they dumped random loot that expired after 24 hours in random places.. :P. Would be fun, but defeat the whole purpose if it being a gold sink I guess.

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Why 3 minute grave? I thought the 15 minute default grave was fine.

Having a 15 min grave PLUS the new death rework would be perfect.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Also I assume the grave blessing mechanic still remains as it is at present? Or has it been changed as well?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Did gravestones really need negatively reworked? A very large portion of deaths is related to lag/server dc anyways....

• Like 2

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

I guess it comes true then...

Now, the next time I die because of server issues, instead of being frustrated, I can be proud that I'm helping remove gold from the economy. What a wonderful idea!

• Like 3

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Finally going back to death being a punishment. Yes it's going to suck occasionally on an individual basis but at least each person is making a small improvement to the game economy.

• Like 1

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

I've been playing for over 10 years and I've never died to server lag or dcs. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I think it is over hyped sometimes.

In the end the game needs a refresh in terms of items and gp and any sink is a good one.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

It's a regressive tax though (lower level/less monied players are more likely to die and people with bad connections are less likely to have either) so it's somewhat less effective

you would have to promote situations where high level/rich players are going to die to lag in order to bring the curve back

8f14270694.jpg

I've been playing for over 10 years and I've never died to server lag or dcs. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I think it is over hyped sometimes.

In the end the game needs a refresh in terms of items and gp and any sink is a good one.

I don't think its true to say any sink is a good one because the issue with the game as a whole isn't that everybody has too much gp - the gp issue is very much pooled in a specific player subset within the end game. A sink aimed to hit everybody fairly ends up doing virtually nothing to the cash stack of those creating the need for gp sinks, but ends up a fairly decent chunk of bank for most others.

Really the only true way to actually refresh things in a decent way for items and gp alike would be to set up suitable sinks across the game, whilst removing ways of creating from nothing excessively, to a point where largely items maintain a status quo. Then purposefully and forcibly removing gold and items from the game in a very targeted manner.

Short of literally taking away peoples items and gold arbitrarily the only real way this could be done would be to create some heavy taxing systems:

For example making the GE eat 50% of items that are in excess.

Make banks charge tax based on a heavily weighted curve vs bank value - ie the curve would barely, if at all, charge people with little to nothing but the people who have the excessive hordes of gp that skew the economy would find themselves facing a significant tax until they got rid of a lot of their gold.

The only other really viable solution would be to essentially abandon ship on gp and create a new currency for the game - one that is much much much much more restricted in means of creation from nothing from day 1 and limit it in such a way that all the existing gp cannot be easily switched over and people will have to abandon wealth if they have excessive amounts. IE Everyone  gets x% of bank value up to a limit of Y once a week for 12 weeks and after that 12 weeks is up gp cannot be traded anymore - but at the same time have some grindy, diminishing returns, ways to convert extra gp just to give people a chance to salvage some more if they work.

It would sort out the economy in a meaningful way that a few sinks here and there can never really do, but of course it'd come at the expense of alienating and losing a lot of high end players.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

What they could do is penalize untradeables on death somehow. I.e., you die with full void, you can pay a million to get it back from Death or start a whole new set with Pest Control rewards. Increase penalties/reclaim costs for those awesome quest rewards like the Asylum ring from Death's Door. Those are both things that siphon coins straight out of the game. If there is untradeable weaponry and equipment that is viable in dangerous situations (which there is) and a gold sink tied to dying with it, that would seem a good way to draw off some cash and maybe make a bit of a gold sink. Because no one is going to YOLO-Void GWD, right? :v

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

^ That still bears the issue of it doesnt really hit where needed.

A uber richie dying in void will just throw a tiny portion of their wealth at it and be done.

A poor player will suddenly find a sizeable % of their bank being charged to get it back.

The whole issue of a flat out sink system is it disproportionately hits the poor people who aren't causing the economic problems whilst being next to nothing to the uber richies who are.

• Like 5

Plv6Dz6.jpg

overall, people saying death is too easy are really saying that newer/lower level/poor connection players should be punished more for existing, because otherwise we'd have to come up with an actually novel way to compensate for the old level of the flow of resources in a world where we no longer punish people for dying because there's no reason to do so anymore

optimum usage of time and access to resources are the main factors that death protects atm, and any other function outside the wilderness is largely insignificant

one of the few high priority reasons why i push for the invention system is that it would be a particularly convenient way to destroy massive amounts of resources and gold, by dumping it all into nontradeble non stat based advancement, but this was scrapped for closure and an area which could have arguably improved the game more if all of its features were used to update existing dead areas of the game instead of building a monument to today's runescape: short term gains, long term disappointment

instead, they used that concept in its mangled form for the spring cleaner, which itself is a cannibalized form of an item that would have been an invention feature, as part of a whole ecosystem in which the items being salvaged FROM the spring cleaner would cycle back into being converted into more invention fodder instead of eventually ending up as more gold

building an intelligent system allows for the attachment of many more separate ideas, instead of constantly putting out fires and letting dust collect on various projects which went nowhere and occupy more space in our pretty significantly large downloads. considering "any sink is a good sink" speaks of this mentality where we're living day to day like cavemen, where our "best effort" is the ninja team, a group tasked with resolving important, gamewide issues with a qtip and a rubber band

allowing the system as it is now to perpetuate more waste and more stockpiling leads to stagnation and decreasing satisfaction per effort, and trying to use death to solve this issue is using the wrong tool to solve a problem that is much larger than it could have even dreamed of attempting to solve, if it were actually suited to doing so

• Like 4

8f14270694.jpg