Behind the Scenes - July 2015

Arceus

Behind the Scenes - July 2015

A brand new planet, raids, big cats and elite slayer creatures await!

Tuska Falls

With Tuska soundly beaten by the might of the Godless, her limp body hurtles towards the planet...but what will happen? One thing's for sure: the portal on her back will open, and heroes like you will take one giant leap for mankind...and visit the mysterious planet Mazcab.

As for Tuska herself, you'll still be able to play the island-hopping event content to earn rewards, so make sure you pop back if you fancy some more action.

RS-2015_News-Main_Tuska.jpg

Raids and the Goebie Homeworld

Step through Tuska's portal, you'll get to meet the goebies, a strange race of frog-like creatures who call Mazcab their home - who have a serious airut problem. Tuska gorged on their planet many years before, and a taskforce of warriors remained to act as cruel overlords.

The planet itself is packed full of new, exciting content for all types of players. We'll have plenty of news and videos about that in the near future, so I'll just give you a quick rundown now:

First up are raids. These epic adventures offer a new take on high-level boss fights, for groups of up to 10 players. Each raid boss has very different gameplay, with plenty of teamwork required even to reach each fight. There'll be two bosses with this first release, with plenty of plans for more in the future, growing in difficulty and rewards.

There are raid feats – a series of absurdly hard combat challenges for the truly dedicated warrior.

There's also a new safe PvP activity, where you'll move vital supplies between goebie camps.

There's plenty of exploration, too. Mazcab is far more than a home for boss fighters – there's a whole world to discover! Find lore fragments, complete mini-quests and get lost in the Dungeoneering-style forest that changes faster than a speeding kebbit.
Rewards include new tier 90 tank armour with set effects in all combat styles, five new abilities – tradeable until they're claimed - new titles, pets and fast travel options, just to name a few.

Raids_Mazcab.jpg

Fast Lodestone Teleports

Another great suggestion coming to the game from RuneLabs this month is the idea of using vis wax to charge quick teleports, allowing you to use lodestones in super quick time.

Thanks to F D C for this cracking idea. It just goes to show that RuneLabs can be used to suggest almost anything!

This month, we want you to ask a story question that we'll answer in a medium-sized quest. Want to know what happened to King Vallance? Ever wondered why H.A.M. always wear pink? Head to RuneLabs now!

Big Cats – WWF

Big fan of cats? Well, throughout July we will be working with the World Wildlife Fund to raise awareness of endangered and vulnerable big cats like jaguars and tigers.

For the first 2 weeks you'll be able to take part in a special Big Cats edition of The Drop, accessible from the conservationist near the Burthorpe lodestone. You'll be able to adopt adorable cub companions, and unlock some feline-themed titles, as well as XP lamps. You'll also be able to donate bonds directly to the conservationist, especially if you want to look after unique lion and snow leopard cubs.

Jagex will be passing all proceeds from your Bond donations directly to the WWF to help with their amazing work, so dig deep and make a difference.

Elite Slayer Creatures

Ever wished there was something spicing up your slayer tasks? That's what elite slayer creatures are for! Certain enemies will have a chance of spawning bigger, meaner, richer versions of themselves, worth more slayer XP and more loot!

Take the challenge and be rewarded, ignore it and everybody else can have a go after three minutes! Look out for the tell-tale “ring of death” orbiting creatures such as the powerful Dark Beast of Pain, and rise to the challenge.

In Other News

We're adding a new slot to the Grand Exchange for all players, and an extra one for members.

We're adding some muscle to the beach, too, with Strength-training options, new beachy pets - like the amazing flapping fish, which is a personal favourite - and a beach ball version of the old cheese rolling event.

Finally, there'll be some fantastic new barbarian, shaman and mage-themed outfits, new slayer masks and a bunch of cool cosmetics related to V!

Have fun, and W00ters out.
Mod Mark

Podcast - Hero's Spoilers

Mod Wilson gives Mod Sky a spoiler-laden run-down of the latest quest: Hero's Welcome. If you've yet to complete the quest, you may wish to do so before you listen!
Listen on our YouTube channel whenever you're ready, or head over to PodBean oriTunes to subscribe to our RuneScape podcasts.

Q&A Recap: Invention Special
Just in case you didn't catch Tuesday's Developer Q&A Special on Invention and Elite Skills, here's a video recap. Enjoy!

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Lion cubs!!!! Soo kawaii~

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Quick teleport rune sink became vis wax?

Ugh. Do Not Like.

I was hoping they'd make teleport spells/laws relevant again - ie varrock tele runes in varrock lode for quick teles.

Also is it just me or does the entirety of July seem to be hinging on this single Goebie/Raids update? It worries me because they haven't exactly had time to make it a big big month filler of an update as far as I can tell. The fact they dont even give any specifics really beyond the raids thing (which only has 2 bosses) makes it seem rather content light.

Also so much for the 'Tuska won't die' fan boys since limp body implies much deadness - though lazy way to get around world event not ending on time to frame it as thought on yeah its intentional her body is still hurtling and you can stab more -if that was the case why didn't we have 35 days and make it reach Monday?

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

rip tuska :<

Hopefully the pvp activities and forest exploration on Mazcab will be able to provide a lot of gameplay. If everything's just focused on the 10 man raids I'm gonna fnsdiogn vfiod nibbbfnfkbvcbs rsd

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Quick teleport rune sink became vis wax?

Ugh. Do Not Like.

I was hoping they'd make teleport spells/laws relevant again - ie varrock tele runes in varrock lode for quick teles.

Also is it just me or does the entirety of July seem to be hinging on this single Goebie/Raids update? It worries me because they haven't exactly had time to make it a big big month filler of an update as far as I can tell. The fact they dont even give any specifics really beyond the raids thing (which only has 2 bosses) makes it seem rather content light.

Also so much for the 'Tuska won't die' fan boys since limp body implies much deadness - though lazy way to get around world event not ending on time to frame it as thought on yeah its intentional her body is still hurtling and you can stab more -if that was the case why didn't we have 35 days and make it reach Monday?

You sum up my thoughts about this behind the scenes perfectly, I find this BTS to be one of the worst I have seen... they could have named it Raids instead of July BTS :P

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

I liked the vis wax idea because the only way to create it is to sink runes, so its still an increased rune sink at least. Laws being useful would be nice, but they kind of are if thats what your vis wax needs that day.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Does that make financial sense though, or could you just use a different rune (one of the elementals) instead of laws, pay much less, and offset the cost of a few less wax?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Does that make financial sense though, or could you just use a different rune (one of the elementals) instead of laws, pay much less, and offset the cost of a few less wax?

I don't really use the machine so not sure specifically, but looking at the chart it seems to be one of the lower ones, or at least mid http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Calculator:Rune_Goldberg_Machine

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

I actually really liked the sound of this month, but admittedly watching the video made it seem more exciting than reading the text.

The only thing I don't care for is leaving Tuska's event open.. Since the island-hopping was essentially ALL of  the [bleep]ing World Event 3, you really can't just leave it accessible without turning the entire thing into one long boring minigame with a false pretense of time exclusivity.

• Like 1

2dgucz6.png

As long as it's around and available, I don't mind milking it for the XP, and I guess unlike most people here I still kind of enjoy it. :D

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Lol I think most people wouldn't have tried very hard to get all the rewards as quickly as they did, had they known it was going to be open for longer... hence what I intended by false pretense of time exclusivity...

Also, the XP seems quite OP. I accepted that because, again, I figured it was a time-sensitive deal. Although, XP bears less and less meaning as we go forward it seems.

• Like 1

2dgucz6.png

Wouldn't Eastern Lands been a better merge point for this concept? Each island could unlock a raid? So many people want to go to other places and I just want them to finish Gielinor first.

Back after a 5 year TIF hiatus. Please don't mind me too much.

Wouldn't Eastern Lands been a better merge point for this concept? Each island could unlock a raid? So many people want to go to other places and I just want them to finish Gielinor first.

I'd rather test it out on some land that doesn't matter first. If Mazcab sucks, we can ignore it and forget about it. No one knew about Mazcab till they created it specifically for raids, and while people will be disappointed if Raids suck, they won't be disappointed that Mazcab didn't live up to its potential. Compare this to Fossil Island, Eastern Lands, Abbinah, Teragard, etc. Places that people really want to visit. If they created Raids there and the Raids sucked then the potential for those places was pretty much ruined and it ain't coming back. Better to start with a blank slate with few expectations, if it works out then afterwords maybe Jagex can do Raids elsewhere, if not they can either try to fix Raids by further exploring Mazcab or ditch them and go back to normal design for the places that people really want to see.

I don't think we are assuming its broken, we are just apprehensive that it will work right considering the relatively short dev time its had from what we can see vs the scale and amount of content it is being hyped as.

What doesn't help its case is for all the 'omg this world has loads and raids are really cool and varied' theres only 2 bosses and you have to beat boss 1 to even try boss 2 during each reset and with how bts is looking its being pitched as enough of an update to carry the whole month, which is other filled with little things.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I'm kind of interested how everyone fell into the mentality that raids was horribly broken before its release.

Honestly, I'm not too sold on the idea that runescape even needed raids or that they're a good idea. So, even if they work perfectly they may still suck. We'll see how it goes though, low expectations for this may mean I'll enjoy it more than I did the World Event where although the islands were relatively creative I had expected so much more and that killed it for me.

I'm kind of interested how everyone fell into the mentality that raids was horribly broken before its release.

Honestly, I'm not too sold on the idea that runescape even needed raids or that they're a good idea. So, even if they work perfectly they may still suck. We'll see how it goes though, low expectations for this may mean I'll enjoy it more than I did the World Event where although the islands were relatively creative I had expected so much more and that killed it for me.

If you looked at how PVM progresses in other games, such as wow, you can see a complexity progression similar to how runescape has gone from monsters such as the KBD to the KQ, giant mole to GWD, nex to rots/vorago... I hope you get the point. Now I think jagex is putting in another layer of complexity using stages. For example vorago has several phases, but I think jagex wants to add stages where the boss and maybe the environment completely change - almost like a completely new boss encounter, but not...

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

If you looked at how PVM progresses in other games, such as wow, you can see a complexity progression similar to how runescape has gone from monsters such as the KBD to the KQ, giant mole to GWD, nex to rots/vorago... I hope you get the point. Now I think jagex is putting in another layer of complexity using stages. For example vorago has several phases, but I think jagex wants to add stages where the boss and maybe the environment completely change - almost like a completely new boss encounter, but not...

Like first fighting Araxxor and later Araxxi?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

Account Help

Like first fighting Araxxor and later Araxxi?

Was gonna say this myself - 2 separate monsters 3 (4-ish) entirely different battle grounds per fight.

Also sort of ROTS with the 2 sides + shadow realm plus permutations of the 6 being split up between sides as 1 boss encounter, though Araxxor is the more literal example.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Araxxi is the same as araxxor but with 2 additional mechanics.

Vorago is the boss most like raids currently

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Araxxi is the same as araxxor but with 2 additional mechanics.

Vorago is the boss most like raids currently

Well, with Arraxor/Arraxxi, you need to master 3 paths to be able to profit from the boss.

Account Help

I had always hoped, naively I will admit, that Jagex might be the game that wouldn't go down the path of end game content being exclusively tied into combat.

Sadly I do not think this will ever happen as I truly think they have lost that knack for making good content that isn't based around combat.

• Like 1

Back after a 5 year TIF hiatus. Please don't mind me too much.