Deadman Mode Dev Blog Update

Arceus

As you may remember from a certain Times article  :-w I was not too much a fan of Deadman Mode. However, it seems Jagex has made some changes/improvements and it's looking a little more reasonable.

A few highlights:

• Xp earned 5 times as fast.
  • You can 'protect' 5 skills from XP loss on death
  • Some sort of insurance for items, but not applicable if you have them on upon death.
  • Bank raiding for an inventory worth of items, not the whole entire bank.

Deadman Mode - Survival PvP

QKlU7Xe.png
Deadman Mode is designed to be a high risk and high reward gaming mode where your survival is based on how honourable you are in an environment which encourages dishonour.

We saw how popular Ironman was and Deadman mode will give you another unique… but more deadly way to play Old School. You’ll be able to create accounts on a dedicated Deadman Server and experience the dread you felt when you first entered the Wilderness everywhere.

You will be able to attack any player you meet anywhere. However, if you get skulled you won’t be able to enter a safe zone without being killed by the guards until the skull has gone. Mind you, if you kill the player you will get to raid his bank… so is the reward worth that risk? And what happens if he kills you? If he kills you he can raid your bank and you’ll lose half of your XP… that’s a tough decision!

Of course, you could just stay in a safe zone and level up… but the best training locations aren’t going to be in a safe zone.

The green areas on the below map will be safe zones.

deadman-small.jpg
Game mode rules

• PvP will be enabled everywhere on the map.
• Safe zones will be created in cities and villages. Any player who enters these safe zones when skulled will be attacked by high level guards (and they will kill you).
• When you die you will lose 50% of your XP.
• You can protect up to 5 skills at a time so you don’t lose any XP in this skills
• When you are killed by a player, they will be able to raid your bank for one inventory worth of items.
• You will be able to insure your items so they can’t be raided, however if you die when wearing them they will automatically drop on the floor.
• You will receive 5 times the XP you normally would.

Deadman mode will have its own hiscores so you can see how good you are, don’t forget though, you can go down the hiscores as well as up them. You will also be able to track the total amount of times you have been killed, how many people you have killed and the highest score you have reached.

This game mode takes Old School to a darker level where you can’t trust anyone and your best friend can become your enemy at a moment’s notice. 

The next step is for you to give us your feedback on this design and then we can poll the update. Also, just a quick note of Ddossing, we won’t be releasing Deadman mode until the improvements to our network are completed.

You are all dead men walking.

Discuss? They also seem rather confident on fixing DDoSing.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Might give it a try. I hope though if you already have an old-school account, you don't have to create another for dead-man mode again. x.x 

Scapin' since September 2007 and Hardcore Ironwoman since October 2014.

My impression is that you have to start all over, which sucks but kind of makes sense I guess :/. It would seem a little unfair if a bunch of people got to "import" their main's stats in there for a huge head start.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Might give it a try. I hope though if you already have an old-school account, you don't have to create another for dead-man mode again. x.x 

New account/membership is required. DOA if you ask me.

• Like 1

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

I meant as in to play dead-man mode with an existing account (allowing you to restart over completely as a new account for dead-man) but yeah sounds like have to make a new account once again... and no way I can do 3 accounts to have members :/.

Oh well. Sounds interesting.

I wanted this for ironman-mode for OSRS so I could play on my main as an ironman (but I already made an account like a year prior) so it kind of sucks you don't really have the option to completely start over as a new account for features like these.

Scapin' since September 2007 and Hardcore Ironwoman since October 2014.

Losing 50% of your xp seems a bit excessive... if you're lvl 50 all stats you go down to lvl 43 but if you're lvl 99 you go down to lvl 92... yeah [bleep] that lol. I can't imagine training slayer or rc on there

also how funny would it be if the NMZ entrance was a safe zone :D if you can safely AFK magic somewhere that'd be ~400k xp per AFK session with the 5x xp lol

77yLQy8.png

• 8 months later...