Specialization for High End PvM: Need Gear and Clan Suggestions

Blutters

I'd very much like to have the absolute best gear that will let me get into the most teams. I'm highly considering joining a really good clan that's already heavy on PvM and is willing to teach.

I'm assuming that Magic is considered the best overall, but I'm wondering if, many things held constant, Ranged is really that much worse for most boss monsters that have no weakness?

I have Ascension Crossbows at the moment. Considering that I am poorer than most probably realize on these forums, I'm trying to prioritize my upgrades :P

My choices of things I can (and will eventually) upgrade:

Mazcab Ability Codex (Corruption Shot, perhaps any of the others depending on answers to this thread)

I feel like if I was 'specializing' with Ranged, I'd get a LOT of use out of Corruption Shot, not only for bosses but normal Slayer especially.
(75m??)(EDIT: could be as low as 63m, even 60m now XD)

(I want Onslaught eventually, but does it have any real use?)

Sirenic Mask/Hauberk/Chaps/maybe Flarefrost Boots (43m + 60m?? lol)

I'm not really very sure how much difference Sirenic makes, or whether I will need it, but I feel like I should have it. I'll have Superior Void and Death Lotus anyway.

My current funds are just around 100m... lol. My Ascensions can be considered if I'm swapping for a different T90 weapon (210m?).

I'm also curious about the various auras and scrimshaws I could use:

(IF something is important but not listed please let me know.)

Supreme Sharpshooter (T4) Vs Vampyrism

Superior Cruelty Vs Ranging Scrimshaw Vs Attacker's Insignia (I don't have it, could probably get it)

Supreme Runic Accuracy Vs Dark Magic (just got it today :P )

Superior Elements Vs Magic Scrimshaw

I have Amulet of Souls/Deathtouch Bracelet/Ring of Death; working on a DIY Hydrix for Reaper Necklace, unless y'all think I'll need it over Amulet of Souls as an essential?

I could swap my Ascensions for a Noxious Staff; I already have Tectonic and could just unkeepsake my Hailfire Boots to use lol. However, it looks like shield use is important in some fights, even if not a dedicated tank.
With that plan, though, I'd have full level 90 power armour and a weapon, and more than enough to get Corruption Blast immediately.

If you know of a clan that will legitimately teach me Vorago/Raids/general PvM tips and tricks, with patient and friendly people in a carefree atmosphere whom are tolerant and understanding of a busy irl schedule... Let me know :P

I've been reluctant to join ANY clan for a long time, however. I want to make sure the clan considered has a lot of experienced members.

Finally, thanks for any help provided. I'm tired of feeling like a ch00b often; it's time to get meta  ;)

2dgucz6.png

While the corruption abilities are good (perhaps one of the best basics), I would recommend getting more t90 weapons before spending 70m a piece for an ability. 

As for range vs mage... Range is a solid option for Araxxor, Raids, Nex, and ROTS (read: necessary for Ahrim's side), and the whole "magic is way better than range" thing is sort of a meme at this point. However, magic is better equal to or better than ranged just about everywhere that range isn't 100% required. Magic gets access to debuffs, ice barrage, Metamorphosis, large attack distance, and Dragon Breath, which help it keep a slight edge over ranged in some situations.

I personally think that Sirenic is a waste of money unless you are using it at Araxxor, and the bonuses it gives for the hefty price tag is just not worth it if you don't have basic gear like full t90s. 

Reaper necklace is amazing at Vorago (dps), Araxxor (low enrage), Nex, and ROTS. Souls is a great substitute, but I would still work toward getting that Reaper Necklace.

Elements > Magic (assuming you have high accuracy)

Cruelty > Ranging (assuming you have high accuracy)

Supreme Runic Accuracy > Dark Magic/Supreme Invigorate

Supreme Sharpshooter > Supreme Invigorate

My advice is to sell your Off-hand Ascension Crossbow and buy a Noxious Staff. An Attuned Crystal Chakram or Death Lotus Dart can be used as a range off-hand. This gives you access to both t90 magic and t90(ish) ranged. From that point, I'd work toward the second Ascension or dual Drygores.

If I missed anything, I'm sorry.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

My advice is to sell your Off-hand Ascension Crossbow and buy a Noxious Staff. An Attuned Crystal Chakram or Death Lotus Dart can be used as a range off-hand. This gives you access to both t90 magic and t90(ish) ranged. From that point, I'd work toward the second Ascension or dual Drygores.

This.

Also, what clan are you looking at joining? My suggestion would be to guest in the clan for a few days and get a feel for its members and how they treat each other. Be aware that even the most friendly/patient/willing to teach clan will have some crazy elitists who get mad if you mess up, even when you are learning.

If I could suggest a clan that has a home on Tif and has been around since 2006(?)... SoDB. Friendly clan that has skilled PvMers to teach you high end bosses and they are patient and willing to teach. Come guest in the clan chat (SoDB) and see how you like it.

• Like 1

- corruption shot is one of the best ranged basics on the game... as its a second bleed. don't prioritize this over weapons, however
- onslaught is... not very worthwhile
- Get ALL power armor after you have T90s. T90 power (minus boots) is great for pvm, as it degrades quite slowly when used only for bossing. T90 boots cost ~40m for a pair.. that degrade. not worth it. If very strapped for cash, you can opt for nex armor instead.
- best auras.. vamp for general pvm. For specialized, runic accuracy and sharpshooter are next best. Aim for those after vamp
- scrimshaw, opt to get 90+ fletch for ports asap... vamp scrim (melee), curelty (ranged), and elemtsn (mage) are a flat 3% damage boost. You can also buy these on GE... only use them for pvm, though
- I would go for vamp over t4 sharpshooter
- cruelty over ranging, if using void and t4 sharpshooter. Else, ranging for when you don't already have max accuracy boost
- dark magic is garbage
- Elements... see cruelty/ranging
- reaper is BEST at everything you don't have 100% accuracy. Souls is better if you are tanking, or using soulsplit to heal
- I personally prefer range, though hands down mage is best for vorago. Because you already have tect and boots, perhaps you can get a nox staff... Again, opinion here. Don't realy get the abilities yet. They are very much luxury
- Clan... SODB. We started off on tipit in 2005/6... and seem to be getting more TIFers as of late.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I would disagree with Vampyrism being prioritized over accuracy auras. Vampyrism is alright, but the accuracy auras are definitely #1.

19509_s.gif

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Vamp works with all combat styles, and the accuracy auras aren't very useful until you have the t4 one... even the, they are only single class

Name 1 high level boss where you would use Vampyrism over an accuracy aura, Penance, or Supreme Invigorate. Maybe melee Araxxor? The OP doesn't have t90 melee anyway.

19509_s.gif

“Mmmhmm.”

Name 1 high level boss where you would use Vampyrism over an accuracy aura, Penance, or Supreme Invigorate. Maybe melee Araxxor? The OP doesn't have t90 melee anyway.

Nex. You already have nearly 100% accuracy there, and use two styles.

Nex. You already have nearly 100% accuracy there, and use two styles.

you don't have 100% accuracy at nex, but I agree that it would be a waste to use an accuracy aura for solo kills.  I'd use invig before vamp though.  As for a clan, join "The Fallen" today for your 50 man singularity split!

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

The accuracy auras are only for mage and range, and until you have tier 4, are very negligible boosts..

Vamp, and next inspiration world provide more a use for all 3 styles and cost very little loyalty points in comparison. Especially wen you don't already have them in excess

Now if someone already has 600k points the t4 auras are the best bet from the get go

Wow, thanks y'all for all the responses! I'm going to try to respond to everyone non-specifically...

I feel kinda silly, actually. See, my friend was buying up several Codexes for himself and he told me they were even less than I thought... When he had them and had been using them a bit they just sounded incredibly worthwhile! I ended up getting Corruption Shot before coming back to look at this thread  :unsure:

I LOVE it, I don't regret it necessarily, although I know there is plenty of gear I still need that I should have prioritized... However, now that I know WHAT to prioritize, I will be working towards that before any more "luxuries".

I am trying to get the Reaper Necklace DIY; I'll have it in around a week if I continue to do Soul Reaper tasks consistently. (Something like 180 points at the moment.)

I really should have been more clear about the Auras and Scrimshaws - I have access to ALL Scrimshaws, and I already have T4 Sharpshooter/Runic Accuracy, as well as Vampyrism and Dark Magic. My question regarding those was probably more along the lines of which of those choices would be truly best if I had the access I do. Interesting to hear that the accuracy Scrimshaws are worthwhile in some places too. No one commented on the Attacker's Insignia, though - it does sound like a pain in the ass to get, but I thought it might be great in a place you switch styles often?

It sounds like I really should try to get that Noxious Staff soon. I did at one point have a Nox set (my own stupidity for losing most of my bank around that time, lol) and I would speed slay tasks for each style until my respective auras ran out... I do miss those days.

I've been making do with Seasinger/Tetsu dual wield (or even Attuned Crystal Halberd) for anything that I couldn't range... I'm sure these won't cut it for higher level PvM anymore, though.

Finally, SoDB certainly sounds like a good clan, and it seems as though many who browse these forums would already know me, or at least know of me. I will try guesting soon, although I really don't want to join then be inactive immediately afterwards, which is my only reluctance about joining just about any clan really. (My work schedule is anything but consistent, and college starts again for me soon enough...  <_< )

Some days, all I can do is be on for an hour or less to do dailies and maybe a quick Reaper task.

2dgucz6.png

Attacker's Insignia really isn't any better than any of the scrimshaws, but it is a lot cheaper to use. It would be best used for something like slayer.

19509_s.gif

“Mmmhmm.”

I'll keep that in mind. I often use sup scrimshaws for Slayer simply because I do so much ports and have a lot of bones most of the time, although I'm sure it'd be more cost effective to save bones for scrims for bosses or just outright sell them lol..

2dgucz6.png

One day you're going to run out of scrimshaws. I wouldn't waste them on slayer tbh.

19509_s.gif

“Mmmhmm.”

I'll keep that in mind. I often use sup scrimshaws for Slayer simply because I do so much ports and have a lot of bones most of the time, although I'm sure it'd be more cost effective to save bones for scrims for bosses or just outright sell them lol..

With the Scrims that are useful for PvM being 1.1m+ each, you may as well start selling them and making a bit of money.

This reminds me. I need to get back to doing ports.

I don't think you went wrong buying corruption shot.  It is a fantastic ability and with your t90 range gear you can do araxxor kills all day.  Ultimately Araxxor is still the best pvm moneymaker by a long shot if you're not selling yaka leeches.  (And to be perfectly honest, compared to 2014 rots leeches Yaka leeches are trash money.)

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

I've no regrettes about buying Corruption Shot! (even if I spent 65m and it's hella cheaper now :P)

It hits so many things so often yet not aggro'ing them, applying Soulsplit and presumably curse debuffs and even weapon poison (PANIC BUY POISON ++ FLASKS!!) weakening everything around me and keeping them from healing outside of combat at the same time.

260+ Abyssal Demons is like, a 10 minute task... lmfao. Anything closely packed together is even easier prey.

Does Corruption Blast even apply Ice Barrage's freezing with the splash damage? I'd assume so, quite incredible. I very much want to upgrade to Seismics as soon as realistically possible, considering Dragonbreath in addition to Chain and C. Blast, as well as the frequent AOE Ancients autoattacks.

2dgucz6.png

Nox staff is practically equal to seismic, and a fraction of the cost to boot. Might want to look into that

I'm aware :P I've used all of the different level 90 options for decent lengths of time at some point. I was simply saying I'd prefer Seismics for something like Slayer because I clearly remember Ancient Magick AOEs firing off frequently with dual wield's superior attack speed. (When using Revolution, it's common to fire off an autoattack, which is actually quite useful in this case. Something else I noticed was that, despite abilities essentially being used at the same speed with either option, frequently dual wield still switches to a new target quicker than 2H equivalents.)

EDIT

I'm satisfied with the answers I've received, so this can be marked as answered or whatever.

Thanks everyone who posted, and especially SoDB :P

2dgucz6.png