Saradomin God Wars / Commander Zilyana: Scythe or Staff?

Blutters

I think I will likely make Zilyana's pet self the first boss pet I really try to go for.

I have little trouble fighting her (had about 580 KC at the end of 2 Fast Mode room timers or about 2 hours).

She hits me hard sometimes, but I can usually heal up easily, if not from my effects then from the food they all drop.

My question, however, is whether Magic (with Noxious Staff) would be better than melee (Noxious Scythe) I used for the above number.

I used Superior Void, Sup Vamp Scrim/Aura, Amulet of Souls, and a Blood Nihil (for most of it, might have been more like 600 KC even, if I'd had one the entire time).

I'm not sure if it would be significantly more difficult to survive in Void if I were using Sup Elements/T4 Runic Accuracy as I would with a Magic setup...

I don't have Corruption Blast yet, but I feel it would be important to consider for the situation, so please tell me if this would make a major difference.

There are many factors I'm considering right now... But I'd just like to hear what you all have to say before posting any more of my own concerns. :)

2dgucz6.png

Void at gwd isn't ideal. As a result you take a lot more damage.

I've only ever used t90 power armor.. done both ways via mage and melee.. Mage kills are a tad bit slower, but you use almost no food as a result. Melee are super fast, but as a result you take more damage if you don't position yourself right for AOEs.

Healing almost 3k from a well timed sacrifice while under vamp scrimshaw and zerk is very satisfying.

Use scythe and malevolent.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Melee kills are faster, but they are more stressful in my opinion. You don't really need to use accuracy scrims/auras since you have like 99.9% accuracy with t90 anyway.

Godwars is one of those places where you shouldn't use void, especially at Zilyana. Use Tectonic or Malevolent instead (they're both cheap).

Vampyrism aura is great there as is Supreme Invigorate for both melee and magic.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Well, at least with the setup I had going (vamp+vamp with Soulsplit and help from Souls) earlier, I didn't really have trouble surviving at all (I was definitely using my melee AOEs effectively ;) ).

Obviously I don't want to argue since I'm the one asking for advice, but are y'all considering Corruption Blast, the option to take an Ice Nihil (rather than Smoke=Blood Nihil), Scrimshaw of the Elements (damage vs healing of Vamp), or perhaps even Dark Magic Aura? (Which was buffed and I've seen recommended for Zilyana..)

Also, if I were maging, would the buff to Dragonbreath be worth trading out Souls for Dragonrider?

And finally, this is quite niche, but considering I really don't want to buy Malevolent but already have barely used Tectonic, is T90Power all that much better than Sup Void? (Which for the record I only have the melee helm "patched" anyway XD

EDIT just realized I also wasn't even making use of Sacrifice lol... melee healing OP! haha

2dgucz6.png

Well... Malevolent/Tectonic give like a 9% damage boost with Nex boots (cause lol t90 boots) while void only gives 7%. Not to mention that you get a SIGNIFICANT boost in armor rating which is pretty important while using Berserk to prevent dying to combo hits or something of the sort.

19509_s.gif

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Maybe I was doing it wrong, but since I couldn't Berserk every kill (kills too fast) I started using just thresholds every other kill; once I had a good rhythm with just thresholds I didn't bother using Berserk anymore.

*For reference: Quake (def reduction, always first lol) > Hurricane > Slaughter > Assault > Blood Tendril (repeat if necessary)

I'm thinking using Assault earlier might have been better.. Since we've covered most else, what can you tell me about ability order?
EDIT: btw most kills were still probably 30-35 sec

2dgucz6.png

(Zerk) Assult -> Hurricane -> Tendrils -> (by this Zerk will no longer be active probably) -> Slaughter

(No Zerk) Quake (if you want the defense reduction) -> Slaughter -> Assault -> Tendrils -> Hurricane

And yes, you will always have Zerk -> Threshold -> Zerk due to the cooldowns. What I would do is use Natural Instinct right after Zilyana dies, build to 100% adren on the minions then use Berserk. You should be able to squeeze in 2-3 basics under NI for the huge adren boost. Don't forget your Vigor too.

19509_s.gif

“Mmmhmm.”

Zerk and adr pot, thresholds, natural instinct and zerk, thresholds, repeat forever as your ultimate ability rotation

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum