Dishonor Among Thieves assistance needed!

Yehoshua I

I'm looking for assistance with "Dishonor Among Thieves"...I'm stuck on the 1st Boss fight.  On my latest attempt I got the Boss down to a little over 2,000 hit points twice before my Ring of Life teleported me out of the fight.  Can someone, anyone, watch the below video of the fight and give me tips/pointers on what I'm doing wrong?  Note:  I'm wearing full Guthan's, had Rocktails as my food source, used Protect from Melee and had Super Strength and Prayer pots.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

"He who walks righteously and speaks uprightly, who despises the gain of oppressions, who shakes his hands, lest they hold a bribe, who stops his ears from hearing of bloodshed and shuts his eyes from looking on evil, he will dwell on the heights; his place of defense will be the fortresses of rocks; his bread will be given him; his water will be sure." ~Isaiah 33:15-16

yehoshua-i.png

My BlogScape!

Well from watching your video/checking Wiki some suggestions I could offer would be:

-Use adrenaline stalling. From what I can tell you don't get stunned here, but you can fire off Freedom or Anticipation anyway when you have to exit combat for a bit, for example after the attack that teleports you to the Stone of Jas. If you time it right, it keeps you in combat longer which preserves your adrenaline and lets you use more threshold abilities. You have plenty of space on your screen so you could even separate out defensive abilities into a different interface if you wanted.

-Take advantage of ability hotkeys and/or Revolution (?). I notice you seem to be clicking on all your abilities which is fine if you want, but probably makes it more difficult when optimal reaction time is greatly beneficial, like to destroy the dark portals. I don't think you can out-DPS them, at least not more than one, until maybe the very end...and they die in a few hits it seems. Anyway I would try setting the keybinds to something you find comfortable (0-9 is probably fine) and it should be easier to concentrate on the fight.

-Other weapons/gear. Do you have higher level weapons or other armor? The healing effect of Guthan's is nice but power armor and a higher level weapon may be more useful particularly toward the end of the fight. Wiki does also hint that Ranged or Magic might fare better (faster attacking on the portals too)  :ph34r:.

-Action bar. Last but not least, I saw that you (I presume accidentally) minimized your action bar at around 7:00 when clicking one of the portals. If so just keep in mind you can click the tiny button in the top-right corner of the action bar to maximize it and get it back. Or if you prefer to click from the menus kudos to you, I don't think I could manage it :P.

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

-Use adrenaline stalling. From what I can tell you don't get stunned here, but you can fire off Freedom or Anticipation anyway when you have to exit combat for a bit, for example after the attack that teleports you to the Stone of Jas. If you time it right, it keeps you in combat longer which preserves your adrenaline and lets you use more threshold abilities. You have plenty of space on your screen so you could even separate out defensive abilities into a different interface if you wanted.

I will do some research on this "adrenaline stalling" and "Freedom"/"Anticipation" you mentioned...and will also look into separating out my Defensive Abilities in a different Action Bar.

-Take advantage of ability hotkeys and/or Revolution (?). I notice you seem to be clicking on all your abilities which is fine if you want, but probably makes it more difficult when optimal reaction time is greatly beneficial, like to destroy the dark portals. I don't think you can out-DPS them, at least not more than one, until maybe the very end...and they die in a few hits it seems. Anyway I would try setting the keybinds to something you find comfortable (0-9 is probably fine) and it should be easier to concentrate on the fight.

These "hotkeys" you speak of...are you saying I can assign keys on my keyboard to correspond to different Abilities?  If so that would probably be much more faster than clicking, lol.  As for the Dark Portals, after looking through the video again, I noticed I occasionally ignored the Dark Portals and continued fighting the Boss.  This made him gain quite a bit of hit points back several times.  It's frustrating that this Boss has the ability to heal himself, lol.

-Other weapons/gear. Do you have higher level weapons or other armor? The healing effect of Guthan's is nice but power armor and a higher level weapon may be more useful particularly toward the end of the fight. Wiki does also hint that Ranged or Magic might fare better (faster attacking on the portals too)  ph34r.png.

Guthan's Warspear is sadly the highest level weapon I have ATM...I saw a video of someone using a Noxious Scythe and they seemed to have no problem taking down the 1st Boss...I looked it up in the Items Database on here and the current market value of this weapon is over 100M GP (?!!!) which is a lot more than I currently have. It also requires 90+ in all combat skills and I currently only have 89 Attack and 89 Defense.  I could fairly easily get these both up to 90, though.  Would you by any chance have a higher rated weapon that I could borrow, once I get all my combat skills up to 90+?  As for using Magic, it's funny you should mention that.  I actually brought 1,000 Water Runes and 1,000 Air Runes to cast a level 85 Water spell but silly me forgot that a staff was required to cast Magic spells, lol.

-Action bar. Last but not least, I saw that you (I presume accidentally) minimized your action bar at around 7:00 when clicking one of the portals. If so just keep in mind you can click the tiny button in the top-right corner of the action bar to maximize it and get it back. Or if you prefer to click from the menus kudos to you, I don't think I could manage it tongue.gif.

I actually thought the Boss had the ability to cause my Action Bar to disappear.  I must have forgot to lock my Action Bar after adding Abilities to it, lol.  This did make it harder to use my Abilities, especially when my Protect prayers turned off.

Thank you so much for all your great tips, you're AWESOME!  I've surprisingly never had this much trouble with a Quest...it's taken me over 6 hours to get to this far in the quest.  I was surprised that it was rated as "Intermediate" and gives such bad rewards, lol.  I'm only doing it so I can get close to being able to wear my Quest Cape again, haha.

"He who walks righteously and speaks uprightly, who despises the gain of oppressions, who shakes his hands, lest they hold a bribe, who stops his ears from hearing of bloodshed and shuts his eyes from looking on evil, he will dwell on the heights; his place of defense will be the fortresses of rocks; his bread will be given him; his water will be sure." ~Isaiah 33:15-16

yehoshua-i.png

My BlogScape!

I will do some research on this "adrenaline stalling" and "Freedom"/"Anticipation" you mentioned...and will also look into separating out my Defensive Abilities in a different Action Bar.

These "hotkeys" you speak of...are you saying I can assign keys on my keyboard to correspond to different Abilities?  If so that would probably be much more faster than clicking, lol.  As for the Dark Portals, after looking through the video again, I noticed I occasionally ignored the Dark Portals and continued fighting the Boss.  This made him gain quite a bit of hit points back several times.  It's frustrating that this Boss has the ability to heal himself, lol.

-Other weapons/gear. Do you have higher level weapons or other armor? The healing effect of Guthan's is nice but power armor and a higher level weapon may be more useful particularly toward the end of the fight. Wiki does also hint that Ranged or Magic might fare better (faster attacking on the portals too)  ph34r.png.

Guthan's Warspear is sadly the highest level weapon I have ATM...I saw a video of someone using a Noxious Scythe and they seemed to have no problem taking down the 1st Boss...I looked it up in the Items Database on here and the current market value of this weapon is over 100M GP (?!!!) which is a lot more than I currently have. It also requires 90+ in all combat skills and I currently only have 89 Attack and 89 Defense.  I could fairly easily get these both up to 90, though.  Would you by any chance have a higher rated weapon that I could borrow, once I get all my combat skills up to 90+?  As for using Magic, it's funny you should mention that.  I actually brought 1,000 Water Runes and 1,000 Air Runes to cast a level 85 Water spell but silly me forgot that a staff was required to cast Magic spells, lol.

-Action bar. Last but not least, I saw that you (I presume accidentally) minimized your action bar at around 7:00 when clicking one of the portals. If so just keep in mind you can click the tiny button in the top-right corner of the action bar to maximize it and get it back. Or if you prefer to click from the menus kudos to you, I don't think I could manage it tongue.gif.

I actually thought the Boss had the ability to cause my Action Bar to disappear.  I must have forgot to lock my Action Bar after adding Abilities to it, lol.  This did make it harder to use my Abilities, especially when my Protect prayers turned off.

Thank you so much for all your great tips, you're AWESOME!  I've surprisingly never had this much trouble with a Quest...it's taken me over 6 hours to get to this far in the quest.  I was surprised that it was rated as "Intermediate" and gives such bad rewards, lol.  I'm only doing it so I can get close to being able to wear my Quest Cape again, haha.

You could look into Drygores then. The cheapest set combination is about 36m and consist of a Main-hand Rapier (24m~25m) and Off-hand Mace (~11m).

Also I noticed you only used 2 basic abilities? Why? You need at least 4-5 to make good use of basic abilities as they are more powerful than autoattacks. I think this would suit you, if you go for Dual Drygores:

• Slice
  • Havoc
  • Tuska's Wrath
  • Sever
  • Backhand
  • Sacrifice

And as thresholds:

• Assault
  • Slaughter
  • Destroy

Then, you'll still have 5 spaces on which you can use both Freedom and Anticipation on. The rest doesn't matter much and can be used for food and potions.

However, I do agree with Arceus that Magic/Ranged works far better in this case than Melee. If you want I could also give you an ability bar setup for that ;).

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Yes indeed you can ;)! Right-click on an ability bar slot, choose 'Customize-keybind' and then press the key on the keyboard you want to bind to it. You can do this for every slot on the action bar and almost every key on the keyboard is fair game. You can also just go to Settings -> Controls and click on the box beside each one and enter keys that way. Action Bar Slot 1 is the keybind for the slot furthest to the left, Action Bar Slot 2 for the next one over, and so on.

Just so you know, Noxious Scythe does only require 90 Attack - no other requirements :P. In general weapons do not require defense levels to use, and armor does not require attack levels. And yes, it's something like 150M. But as Michelle mentioned drygores are a much cheaper and almost equal alternative. Unfortunately, most higher level weapons are degradeable and so they're not available through the traditional loan system. The only way to lend these is trust trading which is probably not something you want to solicit. You could however go with a Bandos or Saradomin godsword. BGS is relatively cheap, and SGS heals you but is a bit more expensive. If you have enough money, an armadyl battlestaff or virtus wand and book are decent weapons for magic. Or you could check out crystal weaponry from Plague's End - which I presume you've completed.

Thank you, I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure you'll complete it soon!

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

You could look into Drygores then. The cheapest set combination is about 36m and consist of a Main-hand Rapier (24m~25m) and Off-hand Mace (~11m).

Also I noticed you only used 2 basic abilities? Why? You need at least 4-5 to make good use of basic abilities as they are more powerful than autoattacks. I think this would suit you, if you go for Dual Drygores:

• Slice
  • Havoc
  • Tuska's Wrath
  • Sever
  • Backhand
  • Sacrifice

And as thresholds:

• Assault
  • Slaughter
  • Destroy

Then, you'll still have 5 spaces on which you can use both Freedom and Anticipation on. The rest doesn't matter much and can be used for food and potions.

However, I do agree with Arceus that Magic/Ranged works far better in this case than Melee. If you want I could also give you an ability bar setup for that ;).

Thank you so much for all the advice!  It looks like I may just go with Magic!  Could you please show me a Action Bar set up for that? :)

BTW, I was only using 2 basic abilities because I'm a "Veteranoob" (in other words, even though I've had my main account 10+ years, I didn't play much at all from 2008-2015 as life got in the way...so I'm out of the loop on a lot of the changes that have been made to the game since 2008, lol.

yehoshua-i.png

My BlogScape!

Yes indeed you can ;)! Right-click on an ability bar slot, choose 'Customize-keybind' and then press the key on the keyboard you want to bind to it. You can do this for every slot on the action bar and almost every key on the keyboard is fair game. You can also just go to Settings -> Controls and click on the box beside each one and enter keys that way. Action Bar Slot 1 is the keybind for the slot furthest to the left, Action Bar Slot 2 for the next one over, and so on.

Just so you know, Noxious Scythe does only require 90 Attack - no other requirements :P. In general weapons do not require defense levels to use, and armor does not require attack levels. And yes, it's something like 150M. But as Michelle mentioned drygores are a much cheaper and almost equal alternative. Unfortunately, most higher level weapons are degradeable and so they're not available through the traditional loan system. The only way to lend these is trust trading which is probably not something you want to solicit. You could however go with a Bandos or Saradomin godsword. BGS is relatively cheap, and SGS heals you but is a bit more expensive. If you have enough money, an armadyl battlestaff or virtus wand and book are decent weapons for magic. Or you could check out crystal weaponry from Plague's End - which I presume you've completed.

Thank you, I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure you'll complete it soon!

Thank you again for all your help!  Yes I have completed all the Plague's End Quests and I have 2 Crystal Bow Seeds lol...I would just have to get one of them recharged.  Which do you think would be better in this Quest, Magic or Range?

yehoshua-i.png

My BlogScape!

Use something like this as an action bar

GXTQzC0.png

Oh wow, thank you Wkw...that will definitely help me in my Slayer assignments and future Boss fights! :)

yehoshua-i.png

My BlogScape!

Honestly I'm not completely sure which would fare better. I guess it would be mainly a matter of which style is best DPS...

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Honestly I'm not completely sure which would fare better. I guess it would be mainly a matter of which style is best DPS...

I'm sorry but what does "DPS" mean?  lol...

yehoshua-i.png

My BlogScape!

I'm sorry but what does "DPS" mean?  lol...

damage per second, barrows should be mainly avoided nowadays really

Oh, ok.  Thank you Baileydafrog.  And I only have Guthan's because of the healing effect and the decent Defense bonuses.  But once I'm able to get more GP I'll be sure to invest in Drygore or Tuska. :)  I currently have a little over 1M GP which means I'm "poor" by RuneScape standards, lol.

yehoshua-i.png

My BlogScape!

It is a bit of a bummer that you lack 90 in several of your skills, otherwise you could try and get the port weaponry. These are T85 and Dual Wield. Perhaps it might be better to try and get the Chaotic weaponry as they are still a tier higher and thus a notch better than you currently own. On top of that they are free in the sense that it does not cost any GP. Drygores or the sort are usually not needed for simple bosses like these, but just makes it a bit faster to do. 

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

Account Help

Here's my current Attack/Defense Action Bar (Note:  I don't have Tuska's Wrath yet..I will try to get it soon):

actionbar1.png

yehoshua-i.png

My BlogScape!

It is a bit of a bummer that you lack 90 in several of your skills, otherwise you could try and get the port weaponry. These are T85 and Dual Wield. Perhaps it might be better to try and get the Chaotic weaponry as they are still a tier higher and thus a notch better than you currently own. On top of that they are free in the sense that it does not cost any GP. Drygores or the sort are usually not needed for simple bosses like these, but just makes it a bit faster to do. 

Yeah, I'm pretty n00b...I hardly played from 2008-April/May 2015 because life got in the way (got married, moved to a different city, had 2 kids, etc.) lol...which Skills would you advise that I get to 90+ (besides Attack)?

EDIT:  BTW, is there any chance you could show me a Action Bar set up for Magic AND Range?

Thank you again, for all your help! :)

yehoshua-i.png

My BlogScape!

Here's my current Attack/Defense Action Bar (Note:  I don't have Tuska's Wrath yet..I will try to get it soon):

actionbar1.png

You have Decimate, Destroy, and Frenzy on there, which are dual wield abilities, as well as Cleave and Quake, which require a two-handed weapon. You can't really do both, so it would be ideal to swap them out based on style. If you're going for a 2H setup try Smash, Berserk, and Hurricane, and for dual wield, Havoc and Flurry.

If you would like to see some ideas for ability bar setups you can check here. They may not be ideal for this fight but it's a place to start. :)

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

actionbar1.png

You have Decimate, Destroy, and Frenzy on there, which are dual wield abilities, as well as Cleave and Quake, which require a two-handed weapon. You can't really do both, so it would be ideal to swap them out based on style. If you're going for a 2H setup try Smash, Berserk, and Hurricane, and for dual wield, Havoc and Flurry.

If you would like to see some ideas for ability bar setups you can check here. They may not be ideal for this fight but it's a place to start. :)

Ok thank you, I wasn't aware each Ability has it's own weapon type, lol.

EDIT:  by "dual wield" you mean weapons like spears, daggers, swords, whips, maces, etc. right?

yehoshua-i.png

My BlogScape!

Indeed, some are flexible (any weapon type), some require two weapons, others a two-handed weapon, and still others need a shield to use :P.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Yeah, I'm pretty n00b...I hardly played from 2008-April/May 2015 because life got in the way (got married, moved to a different city, had 2 kids, etc.) lol...which Skills would you advise that I get to 90+ (besides Attack)?

EDIT:  BTW, is there any chance you could show me a Action Bar set up for Magic AND Range?

Thank you again, for all your help! :)

I think both Slayer and Dungeoneering is a good way to start and get comfortable with Combat.

Dungeoneering is quite a self-sustained area where the armour/weaponry etc is separate. This makes it a no-cost way to learn combat and on top of that learn a bit of mechanics from bosses there.

Slayer provides decent money and also teaches you about combat. You then are also getting charms for Summoning, which can aid you in combat, by a lot.

On top of that, both are skills used in Ports.

EDIT: And spears are 2-handed weaponry now.

Account Help

I think a better way to assist you with getting up to speed is to go to the combat academy. You can get a quick run-down of EOC

yINUi6G.png

Additionlly, read up on using revolution

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Revolution

And the ideal revo bar setups..

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Revolution/Bars

Don't mean to be mean by telling you to take the tutorial and to read the wiki, but you seem to be the sort who would go through the manual and pick everything up quickly.. Much faster than us explaining EOC to you :)

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Thank y'all again for your help...I'm gonna give the Combat Academy a look-see.  In the mean time I did get my Melee Action Bar fixed so that it only has Abilities that will work with any melee weapon:

actionbar2.png

yehoshua-i.png

My BlogScape!

Check the revo bars in the wiki. Sclice is the lowest damage basic ability for melee. Rather than doing your most powerful basic ability first, you are going to end up using your least damaging on every other attack.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I used Magic and let's just say it went worse than using Melee.  Now that I know how to use the Action Bar and Revolution properly I will go back to melee once I am able to get a higher level weapon, lol.  Once again, you're all really helping me out. :)

yehoshua-i.png

My BlogScape!