23rd November 2015 - Raptor's Challenge | Acheron Mammoths

Arceus

Raptor's Challenge | Acheron Mammoths

Prepare yourself for the fourth and final high-level Slayer monster as part of November's Raptor's Challenge: Acheron mammoths!

Head to Gielinor's frozen north with your best gear to take on the Acheron mammoths!

Be sure to check them out this week to make the most of the remaining double Slayer XP!

Will you be brave enough to take them on? Read on for further details, or play now!

Where to Find Acheron Mammoths

Use the new boat, north-east of Rellekka, by the rock crabs.

Requirements

You must be a RuneScape member.
96 Slayer is required to harm Acheron mammoths.
99 Summoning is required to use the new beast of burden.
100 combat is required to be assigned Acheron mammoths by a slayer master.

Other Information

Very high combat stats and your best gear are strongly recommended.
Beware of their charge, and fight with honour!

Acheron Mammoths were an excellent RuneLabs suggestion made by Adelunth and will be the last Slayer mob to be added to Raptor's Challenge.

Start by travelling to the coast north-east (and outside) of Rellekka, north of the lodestone. By the rock crabs, you'll find two boats: use the larger one to sail to an ancient iceberg, where you’ll discover a herd of Acheron mammoths.

These territorial beasts will pose a real threat to any adventurer who dares to face them. If they have you in their sights, get out of the way fast or you'll see nine tons of tusks, bones and fur coming for you with their charge attack!

Survive a fight with them and you may be awarded with a mammoth tusk which can be used to summon a baby pack mammoth (99 Summoning required). They may be small, but they're the best beasts of burden in the game, holding a whopping 32 slots of mammothy haulage!

Make sure you keep an eye out for that fourth and final key part! Piece your keys together and – finally - redeem your loot from Raptor's chest. It's packed to the brim with Slayer-related goodies – and more – so be sure to pop the lock if you can!

Have Fun!

This is the final slayer monster of Raptor's Challenge! We hope you enjoy taking down the Acheron mammoths and return to test yourself against them in future. Enjoy, and let us know your thoughts over on the forums.

The RuneScape Team

This Week's Live Streams

Each week we stream developer Q&As, in-game events and more. Watch our streams and find a full streaming schedule over on our Twitch channel.

Check our YouTube channel, too, for recap videos of streams you may have missed, including this month's Good Morning Gielinor.

Developer Q&A: Christmas! | 17:00 UTC, Tuesday 24th November

Ho ho ho! This week, it's all about Christmas. Join the Ninja Team on the sofa for your first chance to check out what we've got planned for you this holiday season. We think you're going to love it! We'll also be talking about how RuneLabs will be used to define next year's new player-created game area.

Ask your questions on the forums, or on Reddit, or on Twitter using the hashtag #RSDevQA.

Community Stream: Bot-busting special | 18:00 UTC, Tuesday 24th November

Bot Busting is back! Join us on the computers for another session of bot banning live! This time, we’ll be checking out the wealth in the bots’ banks, and showing you their top 5 most valuable items. It’s not to be missed!

Ask your questions on the forums, on Reddit, or on Twitter using the hashtag#RSDevQA.

[spoiler=Patch Notes]Graphical 

• The Executioner skirt no longer stretches when playing the Strongarm Teleport animation.
  • Fixed some blocking issues on the wall at the back of Castle Drakan.
  • It is no longer possible to remove the ferns surrounding the Grand Exchange.
  • Fixed a minor blocking issue with a ladder in the Haunted Mine.
Skills, D&Ds & Minigames 
  • The abilities in Wizard Chambers’s reward shop now has tooltips detailing what the abilities actually do. This is to help players make an informed decision before purchasing.
Quests, Challenges and Achievements 
  • Fixed a spelling error in 'receive' in the "Bringing Home the Bacon" quest journal.
  • Selling statues in the Lumbridge graveyard will no longer mention selling to Xenia when she is no longer present.
Other 
  • Increased the range of the wyvern crossbow to 9 tiles.
  • Each Raptor key part is now guaranteed a lootbeam when dropped.
  • The destroy messages of the miners’ journals and Jebediah Omni's diary have been updated to mention the need to read them first.
  • The Ugthanatos can now be gained from Camel Warriors while not on a Slayer or Raptor task.
  • Fixed some spelling errors in the Ugthanatos.
  • All Treasure Hunter Slayer masks are now hybrid class.
  • Durzag no longer continues to hit players after he's begun to die.
  • Airut on Mazcab no longer give the 'Another player is already fighting this Airut' message when there is nobody fighting them.
  • Warpriest of Tuska armour will now correctly switch tier if equipped from the bank.
  • Fully broken tetsu katanas, tetsu wakazashis, seasinger kibas and seasinger makigais no longer disconnect the player when attempting to repair them using plate or chi.
  • Corrected the melee attack accuracy for the following NPCs: Dagannoth Mother, Dominion Tower Dagannoth Mother, Temple at Senntisten quest fiends and Cockatrices.
  • Fixed a grammar issue with the text in Kaigi's journal.
  • The destroy text for Ghost Hunter equipment now gives up-to-date information for reobtaining it.
  • Teleporting no longer removes weapon poison.
  • The Rise from the Ashes scroll will no longer cause the wrong player to become skulled.
  • The staff of darkness special attack now correctly unsets if you are currently unable to use it.
  • Fixed a typo when handing in Mazcab critters to Arod.
Ninja Fixes 
  • It is now possible to purchase bonus XP in bulk from the Stealing Creation reward shop. XP rates are the same as those of proto-tools.
  • Mystic armour now requires level 50 defence (was previously 30).
  • Batwing armour now requires level 30 defence (was previously 50).
  • Mystic armour is no longer members' only, and completion of Dragon Slayer is required to equip the robe top.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

My biggest annoyance so far with this update:

Rswiki is saying Archeron has been released and that the mammoths are in Archeron.

But nothing in-game says this is Archeron and in the streams etc they specifically said this is an iceburg that broke off Arhceron and floated south.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

That Batwing/Mystic armor change. Running rags ranger for Warbands was already cheaper and you have access to a disposable level 85 weapon. Ranger is also the type weakness for Mages let alone the armor level difference. Now a magic setup costs about 5-10 times as much as a ranger one from about the same price.

Jagex showing us why wilderness is such dead content.

I swear someone suggested this on TIF years ago.

Mammoths were first mentioned in a BTS in '04 and a model was created but they were never released.

They have been suggested and mentioned all over the place in the intervening years.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Well, at least they didn't knock bat wand and orb down to T30. Wait, I shouldn't have said that out loud...

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

It's more than likely to be an oversight

Idk about that.  There aren't any other basic t50 magic weapons that are f2p so unless they make new ones they have to keep batwing wand and orb at 50.

Mystic armour wasn't f2p before they did this tweak, the weapons not matching the armours is most likely an oversight.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Adding in mystic elemental staves to F2P would patch up a few issues though, given they are willing.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Mystic staffs going f2p would be an interesting move and certainly a nice token for f2pers even though they'd be sub-par to the lvl 50 stuff.

But it'd be curious to see how they actually faired in terms of supply in f2p after all mystic staffs are made by taking battlestaffs to Thormac - something only p2p can do due to his location.

Then there is the added layer that to get the battlestaff in the first place one must be p2p in order to charge the orbs.

That being said though I don;t quite get why we jumped to mystic staffs, I thought we were all referring to the mystic wand and orb that go with the mystic robes set.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

F2P has no elemental stave above T5 - not T50, T5 (mindspike), and in fact no two-handed magic weapons either I think, save TH promotions. At least a level 40 staff that provides elemental runes would even that out a bit.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

F2P has no elemental stave above T5 - not T50, T5 (mindspike), and in fact no two-handed magic weapons either I think, save TH promotions. At least a level 40 staff that provides elemental runes would even that out a bit.

I find it interesting that you raise this as if it is a major issue where f2p is some how losing out because it has no high-end elemental staves.

In terms of elemental staves in game as a whole theres the 4 basic T1 guys

7 (4 basic + mud steam and lava) t30 battle staves

7 at t40 mystic battlestaves

And Arma Bstaff offering air runes at T77

So it's not like the game as a whole is flush with elemental stavesso I don't think it can be sold as f2p is missing out issue when p2p has the same lack of elemental staves relative to the span of levels.

Also you might question the balancing factor of it vs ranged - would it be balanced for f2p combat to have 'ammo free' magic at the top end when they can't have 'ammo free' ranging? Especially when ranged ammo is harder to come by in f2p on the whole.

Also not accurate to claim f2p doesn't have higher end staves at all - they do have the t55 gravite staff, t53 nature staff and t45 law staff

Don't get me wrong not saying it's would necessarily be a bad idea, but certainly not a clear cut 'F2P is missing out cause we don't get high tier (relative to the available levels) endless rune weapons'

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Rune arrows cost 151 (and adamant 50), whereas Fire Blast costs 360. It's almost as if the issue has gone full circle with the cost of elemental runes picking up the gap from when it formerly needed a death rune and was around a similar cost.

It's not quite ammo-free either. With a fire staff, you would still need airs, so it's not quite free. I suppose it might be wise to leave the combination ones out though.

P2P does have a few more staves, even if they don't strictly fulfill the definition. Armadyl battlestaff fulfills free air runes, The camel staff, albeit new and expensive for the moment, supplies free runes.

You're right about Dungeoneering staves, I had forgotten about those. Still, it's a different amount of effort to buy a staff off the GE than to save up and spend DG tokens on it, especially for people who aren't hardcore F2P.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

I find it interesting that you raise this as if it is a major issue where f2p is some how losing out because it has no high-end elemental staves.

In terms of elemental staves in game as a whole theres the 4 basic T1 guys

7 (4 basic + mud steam and lava) t30 battle staves

7 at t40 mystic battlestaves

And Arma Bstaff offering air runes at T77

So it's not like the game as a whole is flush with elemental stavesso I don't think it can be sold as f2p is missing out issue when p2p has the same lack of elemental staves relative to the span of levels.

Also you might question the balancing factor of it vs ranged - would it be balanced for f2p combat to have 'ammo free' magic at the top end when they can't have 'ammo free' ranging? Especially when ranged ammo is harder to come by in f2p on the whole.

Also not accurate to claim f2p doesn't have higher end staves at all - they do have the t55 gravite staff, t53 nature staff and t45 law staff

Don't get me wrong not saying it's would necessarily be a bad idea, but certainly not a clear cut 'F2P is missing out cause we don't get high tier (relative to the available levels) endless rune weapons'

(camel staff t85, fire runes)

8f14270694.jpg

Rune arrows cost 151 (and adamant 50), whereas Fire Blast costs 360. It's almost as if the issue has gone full circle with the cost of elemental runes picking up the gap from when it formerly needed a death rune and was around a similar cost.

It's not quite ammo-free either. With a fire staff, you would still need airs, so it's not quite free. I suppose it might be wise to leave the combination ones out though.

P2P does have a few more staves, even if they don't strictly fulfill the definition. Armadyl battlestaff fulfills free air runes, The camel staff, albeit new and expensive for the moment, supplies free runes.

You're right about Dungeoneering staves, I had forgotten about those. Still, it's a different amount of effort to buy a staff off the GE than to save up and spend DG tokens on it, especially for people who aren't hardcore F2P.

But aren't Air Blast and Fire Blast the same damage? You don't have to use the more expensive spell if you don't want to.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

But aren't Air Blast and Fire Blast the same damage? You don't have to use the more expensive spell if you don't want to.

I think Fire Blast is a substantial amount more - they're not just identical copies post-EoC but depend on level of the spell too. Assuming that Wiki's mechanics are correct, Air Blast is 393 damage that scales up to 585 at high enough magic and Fire Blast 566 scaling up to 710

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Fire Blast damage is scaled down though due to it being a higher tier spell than any f2p magic weapon. (aka it becomes a t55 spell instead of t59) 

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

I'm looking at it more like, hey, these are some weapons that have literally always been vendor trash in P2P, and they could maybe be more useful to free players since they're just straight upgrades to their starting items. Magic has a ton of holes regardless of membership status, it's just a bit silly not to fill the ones in F2P when the items that could do so already exist.

*cough*yewbows*cough*