Does 07 or eoc have a higher player count?

Lower Levelled

I think calling people involved in the meta games dweebs is indeed insulting. Lots of people find a huge amount of enjoyment in researching the best way to do things, however (and please bear in mind I don't have much experience of OSRS) surely the majority of this research has already been done and OSRS lacks the atmosphere of discovery that a lot of people probably yearn for! 

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

Well let's be honest here. In the case of RS, efficiency usually means minimizing time spent doing unpleasant activities. Once efficiency became popular, the playerbase really began to realize how unpleasant most of the activities in RS are. At its core, RS really isn't a "fun" game... It's a game about grinding and goal-setting.

Like, if I think about some of the most fun games I've ever played, the last thing I want to do is approach the game in such a way that the game is over as quickly and easily as possible. If anything, I want to enjoy every moment of the game since once the game ends, my fun ends as well.

77yLQy8.png

It's also been more than long enough for everyone who likes the grinding-and-goal-setting nature of the game to have accomplished every goal they could possibly want. None of the Runescape games really offer much to do outside of making the numbers bigger

It still seems somewhat silly that the community has always adamantly rejected quality of life updates on the grounds that they make things too easy... Like, if the game is only hard because the mechanics are too intolerable for the majority of people to stomach for an extended period of time, then it's just not a good game.

• Like 2

Well let's be honest here. In the case of RS, efficiency usually means minimizing time spent doing unpleasant activities. Once efficiency became popular, the playerbase really began to realize how unpleasant most of the activities in RS are. At its core, RS really isn't a "fun" game... It's a game about grinding and goal-setting.

Like, if I think about some of the most fun games I've ever played, the last thing I want to do is approach the game in such a way that the game is over as quickly and easily as possible. If anything, I want to enjoy every moment of the game since once the game ends, my fun ends as well.

I always view Runescape kinda of like golf.

I enjoy playing it for for prolonged periods. but the ultimate objective of the game is spend the least amount of time playing it you can.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Kinda why after my main got banned I stopped playing RS. 25% of the reason I played was for end-level content and 75% was the social aspect. By the time I left in 2011, my friends list was deserted.

The name-change ability from 2009 was the beginning of the end. I started playing MW2, by then if i quit for three or four months I'd barely recognize my friends list. I have nothing against higher exp rates, but RS3 takes it too far. The reason people left for CoD/LoL et al. was because these games didn't require MASSIVE time investment to play high level content. When there wasn't much late game content it's not too bad, but now low level/mid level content is deserted as swathes have left.. It's not fun playing on your own in much less populated worlds compared to before. Another example of when Jagex's inaction to a changing gaming market has hurt them. The good thing about OSRS is it  has features which people wanted in 2007, more developer interaction and more bosses while keeping familiarity*. Also Micro transactions (non cosmetic) is BS  <_<

*Yes I know EOC was in beta for a long time. However many RS players return after prolonged period out. A player from 2011 will struggle to transition to RS3. A player from 2006 rejoining in 2011 wouldn't find it so hard. 

Kinda why after my main got banned I stopped playing RS. 25% of the reason I played was for end-level content and 75% was the social aspect. By the time I left in 2011, my friends list was deserted.

The name-change ability from 2009 was the beginning of the end. I started playing MW2, by then if i quit for three or four months I'd barely recognize my friends list. I have nothing against higher exp rates, but RS3 takes it too far. The reason people left for CoD/LoL et al. was because these games didn't require MASSIVE time investment to play high level content. When there wasn't much late game content it's not too bad, but now low level/mid level content is deserted as swathes have left.. It's not fun playing on your own in much less populated worlds compared to before. Another example of when Jagex's inaction to a changing gaming market has hurt them. The good thing about OSRS is it  has features which people wanted in 2007, more developer interaction and more bosses while keeping familiarity*. Also Micro transactions (non cosmetic) is BS  <_<

*Yes I know EOC was in beta for a long time. However many RS players return after prolonged period out. A player from 2011 will struggle to transition to RS3. A player from 2006 rejoining in 2011 wouldn't find it so hard. 

I think it is horribly flawed to suggest that OSRS some how 'keeps familiarity' when RS3 does not - both are mmorpg with regular updates so OSRS is moving away from the familiar ground that returning players would know in the same was RS3 has. Not to mention the idea that OSRS has 'more bosses' is daft, RS3 has plenty of new boss mobs too.

And it's not like the new combat system can be used as a 'keeps players away' thing any more when there is legacy combat mode, momentum, revolution and preset hotbars all of which help people transition from the old to the new system if they wish too and, unlike at launch, people understand the new combat now so there is plenty of guides and info out there to tell you whats what instead of everyone being like OMG 20 MILLION NEW THINGS TO CLICK.

Also how does it make sense that you think RS3 having higher xp rates has gone "too far" yet in the next sentence you take issue with it being a "massive time investment" to reach end-game content? You can't have lower xp rates AND  smaller time investment they are kind opposite ends of the scale.

Also I don't see how in one breath you moan Jagex has been inactive to the changing game market and in the next moan about microtransactions - the biggest change to the games market as a whole these past 2 or 3 years is the move towards microtransactions and Jagex has made that move without completely selling out to a pay-to-win structure. (I mean yes bonds let you buy gp which lets you buy good gear, but it's not as direct or as op as some games do and arguably we could all buy gold already just not within the rules)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I think it is horribly flawed to suggest that OSRS some how 'keeps familiarity' when RS3 does not - both are mmorpg with regular updates so OSRS is moving away from the familiar ground that returning players would know in the same was RS3 has. Not to mention the idea that OSRS has 'more bosses' is daft, RS3 has plenty of new boss mobs too.

And it's not like the new combat system can be used as a 'keeps players away' thing any more when there is legacy combat mode, momentum, revolution and preset hotbars all of which help people transition from the old to the new system if they wish too and, unlike at launch, people understand the new combat now so there is plenty of guides and info out there to tell you whats what instead of everyone being like OMG 20 MILLION NEW THINGS TO CLICK.

Also how does it make sense that you think RS3 having higher xp rates has gone "too far" yet in the next sentence you take issue with it being a "massive time investment" to reach end-game content? You can't have lower xp rates AND  smaller time investment they are kind opposite ends of the scale.

Also I don't see how in one breath you moan Jagex has been inactive to the changing game market and in the next moan about microtransactions - the biggest change to the games market as a whole these past 2 or 3 years is the move towards microtransactions and Jagex has made that move without completely selling out to a pay-to-win structure. (I mean yes bonds let you buy gp which lets you buy good gear, but it's not as direct or as op as some games do and arguably we could all buy gold already just not within the rules)

I had another look at osrs while procrastinating from exams today and it has already moved well past the point where anything is familiar

not that that is a bad thing and I am sure if I had been playing the game I would have wanted the new content, but the same mistakes of making weapons armor etc more and more powerful whips are useless again is happening all over again.  Not to mention the real problem of there are no new players coming in and everyone wants endgame content

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

And therein lies the problem with runescape updates. It's either dead content or OP.

At the end of the day though, the less power creep in osrs, the better. I would rather live in a world where there are no updates, rather than one that has updates that consistently creep up dps/xp rates. I would say that osrs is actually an already complete game. There is very little that we are missing. Maybe some quality of life things. Idk.

I'm quite glad that zeah brings in nothing that increases the max xp rates of any skill. You could say that the 90k/h farming minigame is broken, but an efficient player won't do that since trees are 800k+ an hour. Soul/blood runecrafting is only broken in the aspect that it is 75% afk, which goes against the fundamental aspect of what runecrafting is, a high apm/focus skill.

But to bring it back to the topic of discussion, without updates to a game, it's population will disintegrate. The hype of zeah and it's update will keep players in the game, which can only be a healthy thing for the game itself. The more osrs players the better really. An update that has taken up a lot of devs time and brings in nothing objectively broken, I'll take that.

07 should not have any updates period IMO.  People wanted to go back and play that version fine.  Leave it as it and let them play it.  

peever142.png

It isn't like the creators aren't asking the community if they want the updates though. The majority of them want the updates.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

It isn't like the creators aren't asking the community if they want the updates though. The majority of them want the updates.

This is true in theory, but I don't think Jagex realizes that people often don't want what they say they want. For example, I remember reading about a large software company that did customer surveys about their product. Almost all the customers said they liked the software, but considered it too "full." The vast amount of features was overwhelming and confusing; they wanted less features so it'd be simpler to use.

So the company later called the customers back and asked them which features should be removed to make the product simpler. All of the customers said, "Don't take any features out! Are you nuts?!"

In the radio industry, the market research shows that listeners always claim they want more variety in their radio stations... yet every time radio stations add more variety, they lose listeners and ratings drop. So radio stations be sure to avoid variety and play the same stuff over and over, while at the same time advertising that they have "variety." Their listeners happily keep listening to the radio station without any variety.

Most political surveys of Americans say taxes are too high. But if you ask them what government services should be cut to reduce taxes, they say "none."

As far as RS goes, updates which are universally-acclaimed are extremely rare. Most updates are preceded with "Based on the feedback we got from you guys on our forums and social media, we're proud to introduce you to [new content] or [revised/updated content]!" And these updates are met with scathing criticism from the community that claimed they wanted these updates :P

• Like 1

77yLQy8.png

Yeah, but there are really only 3 updates that a large amount of people have really had issues with (Zulrah, Zeah, and NMZ). I don't think I've ever seen anyone complain about the Kraken weapons, crystal boots, God Wars, motherlode mine, rooftop agility, boss pets, etc.

Just think about how many fewer players would be playing 07 if they didn't introduce the GE? I know a lot of my friends didn't want to play the game because they didn't have 5 hours per day to spam type in w2 to sell their stuff, but they were ready to hop on board once the GE came out and they are still playing religiously (one of them is almost maxed total level).

Updates are essential for game population growth (or lack of population decline) with subscription based games.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

As far as RS goes, updates which are universally-acclaimed are extremely rare. Most updates are preceded with "Based on the feedback we got from you guys on our forums and social media, we're proud to introduce you to [new content] or [revised/updated content]!" And these updates are met with scathing criticism from the community that claimed they wanted these updates :P

What was that old saying, "a happy customer tells one person, an angry customer tells ten"?

It doesn't really make much sense to treat any given group as some monolithic entity when people only really speak up if they feel strongly about a given issue and even people that want the same thing might not necessarily agree on how.

• 3 weeks later...

A minor point. Not everyone who plays OSRS hates the EoC combat system. I have a lot of friends who play OSRS on the side; many others who were high level pvmers in RS3, but then quit for whatever reason, and after they came back, they felt left out so they just went to OSRS; many others still who just got bored with RS3 (and not because of the combat system), so they decided to go to OSRS.

OSRS is basically a separate game at this point, a whole new world, and it has a far better, more committed, responsive, and competent J-Mod Team. So I can see why people play it.

What was that old saying, "a happy customer tells one person, an angry customer tells ten"?

It doesn't really make much sense to treat any given group as some monolithic entity when people only really speak up if they feel strongly about a given issue and even people that want the same thing might not necessarily agree on how.

Not really. Most of these sorts of problems are caused by Jagex half-assing updates on release (Invention being the biggest tribute to their incompetence ever), and then half-heartedly half-assing the 'fixes' as well. So they start with a mess, and then compound on that mess some more. They are met with criticism and loathing mostly because they deserve it.

I'd actually love to play 07 it looks a more interesting game but I basically only play RS to chill between uni work at the moment and just don't have the time to grind a new account up to a high enough level to have fun. 

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

Not really. Most of these sorts of problems are caused by Jagex half-assing updates on release (Invention being the biggest tribute to their incompetence ever), and then half-heartedly half-assing the 'fixes' as well. So they start with a mess, and then compound on that mess some more. They are met with criticism and loathing mostly because they deserve it.

Yes, but that's not the same thing as 'people don't actually know what they want' by any measure of the phrase.

Actually reading this thread the downfall of RS for me started, as was mentioned, with the changeable usernames. I couldn't keep up with my friends anymore after a few months, since everyone changed so much and so often.

That was pretty much the main reason why I quit aswell. If I couldn't recognize who was who then it kinda crashed all my previous relations and the game became a lot more bland.

That, and the loss of general banter around the RS aswell...

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Wow, never expected muggi to actually agree with me on something :D

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc