Nxt Graphics Rant

Gang Sabre

What good does seeing 10x further improve? Why is there no collisions in NXT? Everyone is swinging their hatchets and weapons at nothing but air, and the game works anyway with only 1 ranter.... me. Considering how rich Jagex is, NXT should have been released with a new collision detection system. Its just like in classic where daggers looked like longswords when equipped. Jagex is ignoring the obvious.... still.

I think most people would just like for NXT to stop crashing and overheating their computers. I don't think that they could realistically even make a 'collision' system as everything is grid based. It would be really nice seeing as it would prevent a bunch of clipping issues with the character models, but that will never be fixed.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

I fail to see how a collision engine would be any use in runescape as it stands, that kind of system is for dynamic animations/actions that need to react when they, well, collide with other stuff.

Runescape as it's heart is a grid based game with pre-defined animations. Before they could even consider some sort of collision engine they would need to re-write the entire game to be non-grid based and to use dynamic animations and then write a physics engine to define the properties of everything so they behave properly when they made them collide.

And overall I just fail to see the point in even having it as a goal, yes it means were not at the bleeding edge of what graphics can do, but then no mmorpg is really, even wow etc all rely on pre-defined animation cycles with no actual collision engines and the game looks plenty good enough imo.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

• 4 weeks later...

Before they could even consider some sort of collision engine they would need to re-write the entire game to be non-grid based and to use dynamic animations and then write a physics engine to define the properties of everything so they behave properly when they made them collide.

So why didnt they re-write the entire game instead of making the graphics a little bit better? RS2 was based on Classic and the game was improved immensely. NXT should have been what it is not.

You mean why didn't they spend the hundreds and thousands of man hours rewriting a 12-year old game from the ground up for comparatively very little gain?

I'm not sure you realize how much work this would have been.

Right ok. Just because they (might) have money for it doesn't mean it would be worth it at all to spend it on that.

You know, Classic was a fairly small browser-based Java game that only existed for ~3 years. This was the very early stages of Runescape and they didn't have much to lose by rewriting it into RS2.

RS2 has now existed since 2004. 12 years of updates and content updates, stacked on top of each other. Loads of spaghetti code.

And you suggest that they should just rewrite the whole thing? What do they stand to gain from that? The game works well enough as-is. Some things could definitely be improved in the engine, but at this point the work:benefit ratio isn't really worth it anymore.

There's a reason they have to take months before they can even rework the bank interface... and you're suggesting they do this to the entire game.

Meditate on this.