Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

is the whip worth the money?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

soupnatizzle
[ Display Name History ]

soupnatizzle

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 103 posts
is the whip worth all the money it currently costs? i mean it will drop soon im thinking but anyway is it really that much better then a rune scrimmy?

kwimbob
[ Display Name History ]

kwimbob

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,159 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Kwimbob
It's like twice as strong and accurate as a rune scimmy, it's really awesome :o
Posted Image
Combat 116+; Total 1900+; All Hard Tasks; (Nearly) All quest points; (Nearly) All skills 60+; An aquatic moose ninja.
Currently: Using 63 hunter to get some of those "Chins", then I'm going to range stuff down. Interruptions of agility when I feel like it, as well.
And lucky enough to get 4 Dragon and 6 Barrow Drops.

Pk_Equals_Gp
[ Display Name History ]

Pk_Equals_Gp

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 8 posts
It's alright, would be a lot better if you could train strength with it. :wink:
I have no signature. :o

Xeith
[ Display Name History ]

Xeith

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 79 posts
My opinion is the whip is definatly worth it. I had a dragon scimmy and when i compared it to the whip i love the whip. I bought my whip back when they where 7+mil and thought it was well worth it. I hit the same as if not more often than a dragon scimmy and with a lot more damage. Since the whip has the same attack speed as scimmys and hits harder it has worked out wonderfully for me.

Miner_I
[ Display Name History ]

Miner_I

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 64 posts
just think... people were willing to pay 20-30M for them when they first came out. I'm not p2p but i can tell u they are worth it if u hav the money :P
Posted Image

Mat
[ Display Name History ]

Mat

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Mathisfun
Whips are good no doubt but d scimmy is almost as good. I sold my whip yesterday after getting 80 attk and def since my str was only 70. Whips can be a little over-rated
Posted Image

Dark_Protoman
[ Display Name History ]

Dark_Protoman

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • RSN:Mick Is Mad
well lets see, yes its worth it, but yeah it is a bit overpriced. i know i cant afford, so i use t hamms or borrow me mates whip.
7 years playing, no respect and no phat. talk about owned wth a capital "O"

aglips
[ Display Name History ]

aglips

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 543 posts
  • RSN:Aglipoy
I would say it is definitely worth it. I bought mine when it was 6 mil but accidentally hi-alched it a little later and bought another one when they were 4mil.

I can definitely see the difference between the d scimmy. I use the whip to train my att and def and the d scimmy for str. I now only train combat on abyssal demons and I gain xp faster with the whip. I've been doing this for almost a year and I can definitely see the whip does a more damage and hits more often then the d scimmy.

In my opinion, most of the people that say the whip is overrated or dont like it probably can't afford it..

stormveritas
[ Display Name History ]

stormveritas

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,883 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Stormveritas
To speculate, is there a reason you think there will be another substantial drop in price?

As it is dropped by Abyssal Demons, I understand that the value declines with increasing supply. At the same time, the price has been relatively steady for a good while now.

ValaraZ
[ Display Name History ]

ValaraZ

Clan Official

• Clan Official
  • 2,140 posts
  • RSN:Valaraz
  • Clan:FOOLS

To speculate, is there a reason you think there will be another substantial drop in price?

As it is dropped by Abyssal Demons, I understand that the value declines with increasing supply. At the same time, the price has been relatively steady for a good while now.

Indeed, it's coming down but so slowly that i'm pretty sure it will stabilize to somewhere around 2.5M but it will take loads of time.

It's definatelly worth it man. especially if you compare it to rune scim. :wink:

[And as i realize that this might turn to a flame war there was a possibility to train str with whip, at least with the old game engine. We never really figured it out how it worked but i managed to keep on fighting so that the weapon screen showed d-long but stats were from a whip. this was all accidental and did not happen ever since so i wouldn't know how it worked. still, thanks to a bug it was possible. and yes, the exp came to str wholly, not like controlled.]
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either
a fool or a coward.

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law
is both.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant:
"If I live, I will kill you, If I Die, you are forgiven."

Such is the Rule of Honor.

flow1315
[ Display Name History ]

flow1315

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 38 posts
when i became member at attack lvl 55, my first target was to get 60 for dragon and then 70 for my whip. i worked hard and it was really hard to craft 10k nats... but after all i can say it is worth the money, not only because its such a good weapon but also as a status symbol! sounds stupid, but it is ! :o
Barrows Items: 5 Guthan Spears, 1 Karil Coif, 2 Torag pl8, 2 ahrims bottom, 3 torags helm, 1 ahrim staff, 3 veracs helm, 2 guthan helm, 6 v brassy etc..
Dragon Drops: 4 Dmeds

chenw
[ Display Name History ]

chenw

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,872 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Tim ChenW2
When i became members, I was really lucky that I have decided to have enough money and stats for a whip, simply because i know its power and speed allowed me to not have to do monkey madness for some time. Before, my Strength was at least 3 levels higher than attack or defence, and training in Free was painful. When i got my whip, i when up a few levels in defence and attack in a matter of hours (rather than days). All i can say is this: when i got my d scimmy eventually, i found strength to be painful to train because it cant compare to whip for power.

In all, i say it is worth the money. My whip went through many quests with me as well as a few combat levels

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

davi2188
[ Display Name History ]

davi2188

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 151 posts
its really a personal descision. YOu can pay the 3 mil ish for a whip or you can settle for 100k for a dragon scimmy that is a little less accurate and hits a little less. At the current price i say no

Xeith
[ Display Name History ]

Xeith

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 79 posts

its really a personal descision. YOu can pay the 3 mil ish for a whip or you can settle for 100k for a dragon scimmy that is a little less accurate and hits a little less. At the current price i say no

its a lot more than a little. Accuracy is close (whip is still more accurate) but damage wise the dragon scimmy dosn't do nearly as much as the whip does. Plus the whip attacks just as fast as a scimmy.

ghostman
[ Display Name History ]

ghostman

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 469 posts
  • RSN:A Ghst
  • Clan:SODB
For me, I think a dragon scim would be good, although Ihave whip now. The price for the whip is not as worthwile as the price for the scim. You spend a less money, and get less xp, but you spend tons of money for slightly more xp... I don't know if i worded it right.
Currently P2P.

I don't want the world to see me, 'cause I don't think that they'd understand.

Formerly known as: Ghstkill8, Serene Ghst, Genius Goats

Mat
[ Display Name History ]

Mat

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

I would say it is definitely worth it. I bought mine when it was 6 mil but accidentally hi-alched it a little later and bought another one when they were 4mil.

I can definitely see the difference between the d scimmy. I use the whip to train my att and def and the d scimmy for str. I now only train combat on abyssal demons and I gain xp faster with the whip. I've been doing this for almost a year and I can definitely see the whip does a more damage and hits more often then the d scimmy.

In my opinion, most of the people that say the whip is overrated or dont like it probably can't afford it..

Errm.....Cant afford it? Look at the pics in my slayer goal pl0x? I do have a whip and I do not like it because no STR training comes out of it. I agree that it looks better :oops: but a d scimmy is a better buy in that its 2.85M cheaper... *Currently working on str 73 str ftw!*
Posted Image

Wavescope
[ Display Name History ]

Wavescope

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 141 posts
yea its worth the money , its teice as gd as rune scimmy and same speed, so u hit more and harder quickly :D 8-)

aglips
[ Display Name History ]

aglips

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 543 posts
  • RSN:Aglipoy

Errm.....Cant afford it? Look at the pics in my slayer goal pl0x? I do have a whip and I do not like it because no STR training comes out of it. I agree that it looks better :oops: but a d scimmy is a better buy in that its 2.85M cheaper... *Currently working on str 73 str ftw!*

It all boils down to not wanting to pay the price or just being cheap.

I don't mind paying the extra 2.85M to be able to train 2 out of the 3 combat stats a lot more efficiently in less time.

The whip also works a lot better when u go pking or playing cw.

btw, I'm 400k xp away from lvl 99 att and currently at lvl 96 str.

Mat
[ Display Name History ]

Mat

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

It all boils down to not wanting to pay the price or just being cheap.

I don't mind paying the extra 2.85M to be able to train 2 out of the 3 combat stats a lot more efficiently in less time.

The whip also works a lot better when u go pking or playing cw.

btw, I'm 400k xp away from lvl 99 att and currently at lvl 96 str.

That maybe true (Actually, I AGREE that its true *Whip's in bank :P *) but scimmy is better is a sense that its well rounded in all areas and are probably better to use if you do not have 5M+ because you dont NEED a whip to train. Get full torag with obby shield and d scimmy instead. WHIPS DO OWN FTW! BTW, support my 85 slayer goal :D
Posted Image

Dark_Protoman
[ Display Name History ]

Dark_Protoman

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • RSN:Mick Is Mad
my say is:

1) whip does own especially if you get owned by it and,

2) aglips, congrats on nearing 99 atk. good on ya! :P
7 years playing, no respect and no phat. talk about owned wth a capital "O"