last.fm Tip.It usergroup - official topic

Greetings from the Off Topic Events Team, who bring you the Last.Fm Tip.It usergroup :)

At this point some of you might be wondering what Last.Fm is. Basically, it's a small piece of software that keeps track of the music you play. This data gets compiled into charts for weekly top artist, overall top artist and overall top track. These charts can be viewed on your user page. Here's mine to give you a general idea of what it looks like.

Besides these amazingly nifty charts, the data is also used to bring you neighbour radio and recommendation radio through the Last.Fm music player. The former is a streaming radio station that lets you listen to the music that's popular among your musical neighbours, people who have similar taste in music, and thus the same artists topping their charts. The latter is a bit more free in its selection, but it's a great way to discover new music. If you want, you can also put together your own music station based on certain genres or requirements, such as 'female vocalists', 'folk' or 'indie rock'.

Another popular feature of Last.Fm is usergroups. Last.Fm usergroups can consist of people who like the same music, go to the same school, live in the same country, or, like in this case, are members of the same online community. The data from each group member gets added up in a weekly chart for top artist and top track. The charts get neatly archived, so any change in musical taste over the months can be tracked.

So why would you join? Well, first of all because it's interesting to see where your place is in the Tip.It musical demography. Weekly charts also get discussed in this topic, so it gives us something to talk about. Finally, the data gathered in this group can be used by us to bring you better, more interesting music related events :)

So how would you join? First of all, you need to register on the sign up page. Then you need to download the Last.Fm player on the download page. Once the Last.Fm software is installed, all you have to do is sign in. This is done by going to the 'Users' menu and select 'Add user'. Simply enter your Last.Fm username and password and you're good to go. You can now just close Last.Fm (an icon in the system tray is all you'll see) and resume listening to your media player.

Once you have everything up and running, all that's left to do is join the Tip.It group. You can do this by going to the group page and clicking 'Join Group' under the Tip.It logo. You'll then be taken to a confirmation screen where you have to click again. After that, you're part of the group and your musical data will be added to that of the rest. Once we have fifteen members, weekly group charts will start getting generated, and they'll be posted for discussion in this thread.

Happy listening :^_^:

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd install again, but given the lack of tags on all my mp3's, it pretty much negates the entire purpose of it. I also have an obscure way of naming tracks that Winamp can't replicate, so :|

Shame really.

Trying to join, but the last.fm server must be lagging or down. I will join tomorrow :)

The site is quite often down or lagging. Well not often, but more than average. It's nice though, been using this for years now, started when it was still Audioscrobbler.

The site is never down if you pay for it ;)

Faster load times, proprity stat updating and a bunch of new features :D yay

All my mp3's are tagged but lately ive not been listening to music much on my computer lately and instead plugged my ipod into my sterio so the play count is a bit low atm, still reflects the kind of music i listen to tho.

http://www.last.fm/user/Mercifull/

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I've been on that site for a while, will join the group too. :)

Last. fm is one of the best sites ever, great idea, plus really nice staff. When the site had problems for a while and they didn't update the songs I listened to, they gave me and others with the same problem free subscriptions for a month to make up for it.

"Metal isn't about violence or faggy whiny lyrics. It isn't even about who plays the heaviest and fastest. It is about invoking a sense of wonder and magnitude that no other genre can depict."

bluarosezk0.jpg

First charts are in :D

Top Artists

1 Ayreon 5

2 Dream Theater 4

2 Sonata Arctica 4

4 Pink Floyd 3

4 Queen 3

4 Led Zeppelin 3

4 Iron Maiden 3

4 The Beatles 3

4 Stratovarius 3

10 Coldplay 2

Top Tracks

1 Queen ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Now I'm Here 2

1 Queen ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Bohemian Rhapsody 2

1 Queen ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Fat Bottomed Girls 2

1 Rush ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Working Man 2

1 Iron Maiden ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Bring Your Daughter... ...To The Slaughter 2

1 Iron Maiden ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Heaven Can Wait 2

1 Ayreon ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Valley of the Queens 2

1 Nightwish ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ The Carpenter 2

1 Therion ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Birth of Venus Illegitima 2

1 Panic! At the Disco ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide Is Press Coverage 2

(The number after the artist or track is the amount of people in the group that listened to that artist/track during the week)

As you can see, there's not a whole lot of diversity going on, and only you can fix that! Join now! \:D/

Already done... if you get weird songs that have no lyrics, they are probably from me ::'

Or from me :)

I signed up, my nick is Oy_ btw, Oy was taken (damn you copycats).

edit: is it possible that last.fm slows down my internet activities a lot? Loading a page takes several minutes now.

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

Same loading time for me somewhat. I dont like the last.fm player as compared to a Winamp. Wish i could load in my .mp3's into the last.fm player :(.
You can still play your songs in winamp :-/ the last FM player will automaticly log songs you listen to using Windows Media player, Winamp, Foobar2k and iTunes. You dont have to use the player and can leave it running silently in the background.

Last.fm doesnt slow down my internet while im using it.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Really, ill have to make note of that, hopefully it doesnt log some of my other things :o
It doesnt log mpeg or avi files dont worry ;)

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

The charts are so getting a The Who blast whenever they're updated. 8-)
I need to get good old Bear up on that list too when i get the chance hehe

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

Time to see how well it responds to wmp and cd's...
So long as Winamp connects to CDDB or Gracenote it should pick it up fine.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

I've had problems with wmp, winamp and foobar failing to connect to anything in the past.

Although it seems like is a firewall issues since i'm on a clean install of windows xp with just the windows firewall between me and the real world. And it seems to work fine. Although they're allowed connections on all ports, so I dunno what the problem is on my other machine.