Sliding Puzzle Box Tips and Techniques (w/ VID) (AOW)

stan18

Guide originally posted Aug 16, 2004

Original discussion topic (can post replies): http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?p=340421

Do you dread getting clues because of the thought of Puzzle Boxes? Does hearing "Bentnose" give you nightmares? Well, you've come to the right place! Here, you can find out how to complete and conquer your nightmares(of puzzleboxes, anyways...) and learn the techniques of doing the puzzle box.

The first step is to face your fears! Go up to your maker and tell them your not afraid of them. Then, demand the puzzle box!

Of course, being assertive and brave to your problem isn't going to fix it(may that be a lesson in life for you). So thats where i come in.

After receiving the box from whomever, look at it. "Wow, what a mess. How am i gonna fix this?" you say...

By thinking rationally of course

Start off by doing these first four pieces:

dofirst4as.png

Heres something to remember: even if a piece looks like its in the right place, move it if its in the way

Then, try to get the piece thats supposed to fit in the topright corner in the right place. Most likely, it will not fit and look like this:

134256bi.png

If not, then you have gotten lucky. But that sure doesn't mean you get to walk off! Do the next row. If you've gotten lucky again... then......

Anyways, this is where the Technique comes in. I have taken 3 minutes of my life to label and number them(you're welcome). Here is a pic that contains everything you need to know:

allsteps7yi.png

YAY! You have gotten the toprightcorner piece in! Give yourself a pat on the back. Now try to memorize this technique, cause you're gonna need it later

Now, rinse and repeat two more times for the next two rows, which should end up like this:

3rowsdone9lv.png

[hide=Here is a different representation of the technique]

The technique above is a longer version of the version I am about to show. This technique, simply, slides the two pieces in, together. They have to be together. Otherwise, they won't go in.

Here is your target:

targetvm4.png

^^^^^You want to move the lower piece (in magenta) so that it is under the upper magenta piece, that is your goal. It should look like this (ignore the arrows for now) VVVVVVV

goalep1.png

You follow the arrows now, and it'll end up like VVVVVV

finaltk3.png

Summary

What you want:

whatyouwantqm4.png

What you're looking for:

whatyourelookinforzn3.png

OR

What you want:

whatyouwant2uz3.png

What you're looking for:

whatyourelookinfor2uv8.png

The same can be applied for the LAST ROW

wuwlastrowcz2.png

Here it is, with arrows:

wuwlastrowarrowsrq6.png

Summary: You want to move the pieces so that one piece is one spot away from where it should be (above, it would be the yellow) while you place the piece next to it, literally, next to it(the blue) so that they can both move in together (how sweet...)

[/hide]

Now, you have 2 rows. But as you look at it, you notice there is not enough room to do the technique! :cry:

for all those who didnt notice, the technique uses 3 rows, horizontally

BUT, there are more then enough rows going vertically. So, you must use the technique for the remaining 9 pieces technically 6, cause the last 3 don't need it . Check the end of my "different representation" to see another way to do the final two rows

If all goes well, then the last 3 pieces should fit in automatically(or with a few clicks). If not, you messed up somewhere. To check if you did it right, this is what the puzzle box looks like when its done:

finished9bk.png

or if you went to the examiner:

treepuzzle7lv.png

and last:

trollgeneral6jn.png

If you need the monkey madness quest, then this is it:

madnesskp8.png

Remember that the crate next to the panel has "spare controls" that let you view the final result

Congrats! You have completed the puzzle box! Give yourself a pat on the back. My tip is to practice the technique multiple times so that you move the pieces the right way every time

My Thanks to:

The greater demon that droped the clue

general bentnose for giving me the box

My law rune, for giving its life so just i could get to falador quicky

My computer, for crashing and losing a bunch of pics

and Finally, Drunken dwarf for giving me some free beer

All comments/suggestions/deaththreats welcome

VIDEO

>>Vid<< (rapidshare)

>>VID (megaupload)

Selected for the AOW by pokemama.

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.