Guide Writing Questions (PMG)

pokemama

This topic is for questions on Writing Guides for the Player Made Guides (and Archive of Wisdom) forums.

The Guide Writing Tips topic sticky can be found Here.

• Please ONLY post questions about writing guides, OR information that should be added to the guide writing sticky.
    Please do not post here requesting that we review your guide.
    Please do not post "nice guide" and other such spam ... this topic is for serious inquiries only.
    If your post has disappeared - it did not belong in this topic.

You can always PM a PMG Mod with any questions/concerns you may have. If you have a simple question that can be answered here, then please do so here. Thank you!

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Where do I start if I want to make a Guide?

A. You can start by reading the Guide Writing Tips sticky. This will provide great information to the beginner guide writer. Once then, you can post your guide in the Beginning Guides forum. This is where you can start on your guide and make it the best it can be.

Q. How do I get my guide from Beginning Guides to General Guides?

A. Once you believe your guide is up to par and is ready to be put into the General Guides forum, report the guide itself. There is an option for you to ask to Promote or Demote your guide. PMG Mods will then decide and will either promote or demote the guide or even leave it where it is at, depending on their decision. Remember to only ask for this movement if you believe your guide is completely ready to be added in with the other guides.

Q. How come my guide hasn't been added to the Archive of Wisdom?

A. The AOW is reserved for the most broad-reaching and challenging aspects of the game. Please do not ask for your guide to be added into the AOW. PMG Mods will choose which ones are deserving of the recognition. If you ask a Mod to move your guide into the AOW, it will be turned down.

Q. But my guide has important new information for a skill/quest/mini game!

A. Then please post in the Website Updates and Corrections forum under the appropriate guide topic - the Crew will be delighted to review your information and add it to the website guide if appropriate, giving credit to the first poster.

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

Errr....I can't get images on my guide

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãââ Add image to post<----i use this but the images never go onto my post.

Disable BBCode in this post

Disable Smilies in this post

Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)

Notify me when a reply is posted

why is this??

Whoever said "nothing is impossible", obviously never tried slamming a revolving door.

Using the ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãââ Add image to post feature, click the link just below the post text window and a popup window should appear. If you do not see the popup window, you are probably blocking popups. Browse to your picture on your computer, add a description if you like, and click the "Upload It!" button. I added the below image using this feature.

postimage.jpg

The second post in the guide writing sticky briefly addresses pictures, right at the end below the edits list:

I then use an online host, such as http://www.photobucket.com allows you to create your own picture albums. The "add image to post" feature in the forum, described above, is just an easy, built-in way to upload your picture to an image hosting site called postimage.org.

Do-it-yourself online hosts provide several links after you upload your file. Use the link that starts and ends with IMG (for image) tags, which has a rough format like this:

[img=http://www.hostsitename.com/nameofmypic.gif]

Cut and paste this entire link, including the IMG tags and brackets, directly into your guide text.

So, a real image in the guide writing sticky was composed in the forum post interface like this:

You should feel free to play around with your post interface in the forums. [img=http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/681/interfaceba5.png]

This is your TIF post interface. 

I hope this information is helpful to you.

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

Please forgive me if you have already answered this, and please direct me to the answer I seek.

How do I get full size pictures on my guide so that one doesn't have to click to see it?

Don't follow me. You might not make it.

All your accounts are belong to us now.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator

Due to the number of requests, I'll be adding info on how to insert full-size images into posts to the Guide Writing Tips topic.

• 1 month later...

I have a couple of questions I hope I can get the answer to:

1. Is it at all possible to create links to specific parts of the guide(such as on the tip.it main website) that scroll down to special parts. I have seen this on the forums(in the bbcode guide although not in a post) and:

2. What is the exact character/word limit for a post and is it possible to get more than that(i think its 10,000 words but im not sure) into a first post? My guide currently exceeds this and I was wondering if tip.it ever had plans on increasing it, maybe just for the first post.

Thanks.

newsignature1fs8.png

First of all i would like to say thanks for making this topic to pokemama, now for what i really came to post about.

How do i make the "hidden" thingys ::'

i can't just use the "hide" option because then i can't see them... :uhh:

Played since February 2001

alexrn2vh6.jpg

13th to 30 hunting

firemaking cape achieved 6th August 2008_-_-_-_Quest cape achieved 19th August 2009

1. Is it at all possible to create links to specific parts of the guide(such as on the tip.it main website) that scroll down to special parts. I have seen this on the forums(in the bbcode guide although not in a post)

If you're trying to get links to specific parts of a post on the forums I'm afraid that isn't possible. However it IS possible to do so on Tip.It's guides. To do this find the page you want to link to and scroll all the way up, even that isn't the section of the guide you want to link to. Now you'll see links that go to the same page you're on, but different sections of it (for example in the fishing guide it will have introduction, basic tools, member fishing locations, etc.). Now simply click on that link and copy the address that is now in the top bar (the only thing that will change will be this added to the address: '#[text here]')

2. What is the exact character/word limit for a post and is it possible to get more than that(i think its 10,000 words but im not sure) into a first post? My guide currently exceeds this and I was wondering if tip.it ever had plans on increasing it, maybe just for the first post.

I'm not entirely sure and I'm not able to check however 10,000 sounds about right. There are no plans to increase this amount that I know of due to the reason that you can simply reserve posts if needed and continue there on (don't make too many reserves though :wink: ). Of course, you could always make this a suggestion in the forum suggestions board. :)

How do i make the "hidden" thingys

When you make a new post you will notice a test box that is name "subject", just below this are a bunch of buttons (can't think of what to call them so buttons will do :P ) which say B I U Quote Code List Img URL and Hide.

Simply click on hide, type in what you want and press hide again, here is an example of what happens when I type the following in:

[hide]Example[/hide]

[hide]Example[/hide]

i can't just use the "hide" option because then i can't see them...

I'm not entirely understanding what you mean, you have to press the link in the box to see the text in it if that's what you mean, or you could just have BBCode disabled. To enable it firstly look in your profile and there will be an option saying 'Disable BBCode", untick that. If it isn't ticked already then just stop pressing Disable BBCode option under the text box when you're making a new post :P

Hope that helped :)

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|

• 1 year later...

Additional bits recovered from Google Cache (hurry over there to retrieve your guide files before they are overwritten by the reset forum!)

When it comes to posting a guide on here...do you just type up the guide in the post box here? Or do you use like Microsoft Word to put everything in one place, then copy paste it here in the post box?

You can do it either way, but writing it in Word first decreases accidental posts, spelling mistakes, and helps with formatting.

When you hide text, can you make it so it says, for example "Introduction" instead of reveal hidden text?

Not really 'can' but 'how'.

[hide=introduction]Intro of Hawkxs[/hide] by using
[hide=introduction]Intro of Hawkxs[/hide]

If someone answered this, sorry, how do you get the code thing?

[pokemama note: XXFireXManXX answered nicely but I can't grab his text from google, lol. so here's my answer:]

Highlight the text you want to appear as code, then hit the "Code" button above the text box - it will correctly surround your text with start and end tags (an end tag always has a slash / before it.)

• 2 weeks later...

A query regarding the site change over and the changes to the hide tag

example:

[hide=hide1]level 1

[hide=hide2]level 2[/hide] level 1

[/hide]

comes out as:

[hide=hide1]level 1

[hide=hide2]level 2[/hide] level 1

[/hide]

Anyone who has written long guides will know the importance of collapsable chapters, hiden pictures to reduce loading lag, expandable lists, hidden spoilers...and most combinations of these call for nested hides. The old forum was capable of this, but the new one isnt, resulting in a slight incompatability with older threads copied over.

Is there a method for forcing nested hides or is it not possible? If it's not, is it likely to be amendable by the server master or is it something we'll have to just deal with?

Creater of QuestRanker

"I hate it when my target's die laughing, makes me think my fly is open or something"

-Me

• 3 months later...
Where do I start my guide? It's quite big, and I can't finish it in a few days - do I start in Begginers Guides?

Yup, beginners guides is for works in progress, then ask a mod to move it into the general guides forum when it is complete. I guess you could also get C/C there too.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

Where do I start my guide? It's quite big, and I can't finish it in a few days - do I start in Begginers Guides?

Yup, beginners guides is for works in progress, then ask a mod to move it into the general guides forum when it is complete. I guess you could also get C/C there too.

Yep, beginning guides is the place to start. :)

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Yep, beginning guides is the place to start. :)

mekrg_Requiem__FFFFFF.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm thinking of writing a guide for Construction and POH's but its the first time I've been using BBCode in such a large scale writing project. I was thinking if I could first post the introduction and table of contents and gradually work on the guide? Or do I have to wait and finish it all on Word, because last time I checked, Word doesn't have BBCode. :?

r2kuft.gif

Click Here for my RSOF 99 Construction G&A thread! Post your support!

Well, I'm thinking of writing a guide for Construction and POH's but its the first time I've been using BBCode in such a large scale writing project. I was thinking if I could first post the introduction and table of contents and gradually work on the guide? Or do I have to wait and finish it all on Word, because last time I checked, Word doesn't have BBCode. :?

Go ahead and post whatever you've got in the Beginning Guides forum. Alternatively, you could just type it up in word and add the BBCode right before posting.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Go ahead and post whatever you've got in the Beginning Guides forum. Alternatively, you could just type it up in word and add the BBCode right before posting.

Thanks bunches. :D

r2kuft.gif

Click Here for my RSOF 99 Construction G&A thread! Post your support!

• 1 month later...
i finished writing my guide in the beginning guides section, now how do i get it into the general guides section :?: :?:

im going nuts with this :wall: :wall:

help apreciated

You can either post on your topic saying it is ready to be moved (or change the topic title appropriately) or even report it. Any of those ways, and a mod should be able to help you out.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Does a certain thread exist on TIF that allows players to request a guide on a certain topic? I can imagine people want to know some detailed information about a certain RS related subject but fail to find an appropiate guide.

Simultaneously a request thread would be great for those who like to make guides. It can be hard these days to find a topic that you like but hasn't been covered yet, or at least not well enough. It's hard sometimes to think of a useful topic in the first place, and most time in case you got one it already has tons of guides written on it.

I'm just wondering if such a thread exists, and in case it doesn't, if you think we should have one.

Thanks in advance,

Owned_4ever2

ResisttheNWO.png

ResisttheNWO.png

• 2 weeks later...
Does a certain thread exist on TIF that allows players to request a guide on a certain topic? I can imagine people want to know some detailed information about a certain RS related subject but fail to find an appropiate guide.

Simultaneously a request thread would be great for those who like to make guides. It can be hard these days to find a topic that you like but hasn't been covered yet, or at least not well enough. It's hard sometimes to think of a useful topic in the first place, and most time in case you got one it already has tons of guides written on it.

I'm just wondering if such a thread exists, and in case it doesn't, if you think we should have one.

Thanks in advance,

Owned_4ever2

Just like to say that I support that idea =D

erjypx.jpg

Just kidding ladies, you know I love you =D

Guide to Making Money with NPC Trading

• 3 years later...