Dragonsaber's Guide on How to Make RS Video's ***UPDATED***

Dragonsaber

Since I always see so many bad vieo's out there I thought I'd post for you ppl how to record video's without lag and get small video's with awesome quality.

Sept. 21 - Updated For 3.0

Files to download

Camtasia 3.0

http://www.techsmith.com/download/studiodefault.asp

TSCC Codec for compressing

http://www.techsmith.com/download/tsccdefault.asp

Windows Media Encoder

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... fault.aspx

Open up "Camrecorder"

1. go into "capture" and into "fixed region" and "select" the region you will be recording (Click and drag to make a rectangle over the rs window), make sure to have the "fixed starting point" unchecked so that you can just move your prefixed window over the rs window when you record.

fixedregion9ur.jpg

2. go into "tools" and into "options" and go to "streams"

Uncheck "auto configure" and set it at 15 frames/sec

Uncheck "Interleave Audio" since you will be putting music in later

framerate2yh.jpg

3. From here go into "Video Setup" and from here you have 2 options

(1) Uncompressed capturing- With uncompressed capturing the file will be about 900 mb (that's right megabites) per minute of video so you'd need alot of space on your computer to do it this way. With uncompressed you have 0 lag on rs and the video will record more frames per second which means smoother video, Don't panic about the size because this is only a base video and will be deleted later.

uncompressed2vh.jpg

(2) Techsmith Screen capturing- Using this codec will give you a bit of lag but not bad, it's generally recomended for faster pcs and if you choose this for recording make sure to go into "configure" and put it on faster compression. Recording on this is about 30 mb per minute or so for your base video.

tscc3cn.jpg

4. Back in tool options under the "General" tab lick "File Name Options" and choose "automatic file name" and set your folder for it so you don't have to waste time saving it

Make sure to turn off the post recording options. If you don't then it will play the movie or go into editing while your in the middle of playing the game.

automaticfilename4qp.jpg

5. Under "Capture" option pick the ones that are best suited to you. I reccommend just unchecking them all including the "Disable Display Acceleration" because you will be doing the same thing in the next step so it doesn't need to blank your screen before recording.

6. How to turn off graphics acelleration for less lag during recording

displayacceleration1fn.jpg

7. Exit out of options menu altogether, you will now be at the main camtasia recorder screen and here you have the option of having your mouse displayed in the video

mouseoptions9xt.jpg

Now Everything is set up for it to record, it may look like alot but I'm just making it detailed, it only takes a few moments. Now just click record and move your premade section to record over the rs window and when your done stop it, it will automatically save it to the folder you picked.

How to Make a Good movie

1. open "Camtasia studio 3.0" and "Import Video" and find your base video (the original size of the movie doesn't matter which it might be good to do uncompressed)

2. Next go to "import audio" and pick the songs to put in the movie, it doesn't have to be converted into wav

3. Drag and drop them into into the video and audio bars and if your audio is too long, go to the end of the audio bar and drag it back so it's the same length as the video

4. Click "Produce Video"

insidecamtasia9jc.jpg

5. Choose "Windows Media (Wmv) Streaming video file and hit "Next"

6. The Windows Media Encoding Options menu is the most important part of making the video so I'll use pictures to guide you through all the parts (you must have the windows media encoder)

profiles1mj.jpg

Now to "Manage" and Create a new profile

newprofile7um.jpg

profileoptions9ws.jpg

Music can be a bit lower quality but if you want better quality music it will take more space, same goes with bit rate

hit ok then Close to create your profile and to get back to the Windows Media Encoding Options (as seen in the first pic in No. 6)

Select profiles and choose the profile you just made from the menu (if you you left the box checked you will not be able to see the profile you just created)

choosefromlist9ra.jpg

Hit "Next" and keep hitting Next (make sure it's on "largest video size") and all that's left is to choose a name for it and finish and it will start rendering the video for you

*note* If your using uncompressed and for some reason it comes out massive (which it shouldn't) then first produce it as an AVI (without sound) and use the Techsmith Screen Capturing codec and set it to "better compression" and then use that video as your base video.

The end result will be a video about 2mb per minute with good quality and little blurring. I reccomend making a short video first as well before doing something big like a war.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like this guide, people with interest in making movies, should look this up, as it would be a great resource for them.

I agree a very good guide i also agree that it should be stickied and i also agree taht macs are poo! :lol:

Neanderslave

neanderslave2pmdw2uq4.jpg

Great! Now write the mac version.

umm, macs are crap?

That was totally pointless spam and your ignorance about computers is repulsive. Macs do not suck in anyway. (a computer with better OS without any viruses, trojans, keyloggers, pop ups for instance)

You should try Snapz pro by ambrosia software for filming (on mac), it's shareware and costs a bit though. Has worked like a charm for me. Lost of different controls and great interface. Don't know about other programs.

Guest i3roduke-

When I used these settings, when im done recording and watch the avi, the screen is split into 4 and it slowly spins to the side...Its as if the 4 corners of the screen have all switched places, and slowly move around...Hard to explain, and it only does this when you record for so long...I just tried to get it to happen when recording this very page yet it didnt...I have no clue how to fix it either. Any suggestions please :?