Pixel Art Tutorial!!!!!!! shading tutorial added

Quer_Skulll

This is my second tutorial on making pixel images or sigs make of it whatever you whant.

however this time i have learned allot more about shapes and actually shading stuff and having a meaning to everything.

tip: dont do pixel sigs if you cant draw, well you can but USUALLY it wont turn out to great, the key to solving this problem is practice.

drawing is not something you learn overnight took me 4 years to get where i am now and i have learned allot in the past 6 months.

ill explain in basic steps.

note that i drew it all by hand and scanned it in, that explains why all the first steps are large in size.

this tutorial is for both advanced and starters.

STEP 1Brainstorm: think what you whant in it like recognisitions, appearance, color scheme, poetic meanings, scheme itself, background.

STEP 2

Draw a stick figure, remember the lines across the face show where hes look at.

pixeltut11xg.jpg

keep it simple so you can alter the pose if you dont like.

tho you should know some basic atanomy.

STEP 3

do some basic shapes around him to see if his body structure is good.

pixeltut26zo.jpg

STEP 4

draw his muscle on him, knowledge for atanomy will help allot.

buy a book if needed or look on the net.

pixeltut33dx.jpg

STEP 5

draw his armor/clothes and all accesoires on him

pixeltut48te.jpg

STEP 6

Draw a background around him, i did it on another paper tho.. sometimes its better to do it on the same.

STEP 7

resize it all to the canvas you whant.. the sizes for these forums are 300x150x30kb if you whant to make it in a sig.

and clean up up your lines.

pixeltut65kz.png

STEP 8

put on base colors to check out your color scheme.

pixeltut70yx.png

STEP 9

Shade the main character try shading everything with shape, if it looks flat its bad.

pixeltut89yo.png

STEP 10

shade his enviroment again using shapes, if its flat its bad.(dont bother my grass i hate doing grass it turns me off)

pixeltut95zh.png

STEP 11

tweak your sky (if you have one) a bit.

pixeltut104pv.png

STEP 12

color the outlines if you like, it usually makes it look more 3D

pixeltut112ic.png

STEP 13

you might have noticed i colored some stuff way to soft, so thats step 13.

make whatever changes to fit your liking a bit.

o and make a border (helps allot it really does)

pixeltut129ho.png

STEP 14

put on the text.

haddafinished0cw.png

STEP 15

this might be one of the moste important steps ASK FOR C/C (Costructive Critisme)

ask whatever has to be changed to look better or feel better and then change it if (will not help unless you listen and actually tweak some stuff

haddafinished38gq.png

this was my final result.. note how its much better after the c/c and actually listening to it..

{special thanks to TJ for some awesome c/c}

more to come. i think.

well comments appreciated, if i skipped something or made mistakes tell me.. feel free to zoom in to check how i shaded.

all was done in a pixel by pixel ratus

if it was note done pixel by pixel it would NOT be a pixel sig.

[EDIT]it would be nice if tttia would give me permission to merge some of his tutorials in this one. :wink: [/EDIT]

Pixel Programs:

Paint: is a very good program for linework in pixel art yet its coloring system is a bit slow so it takes very long to make a sig in Ms Paint.

Graphics Gale: THE best program for coloring pixel art basicly because of its quick color sample system, its color system itself is awesome to you can get some awesome color schemes its a sort of magic :P

http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/ < click to download

SHADING TUTORIAL

first.

You have to start with the high lights place them on whatever place you think his body shape and depth will react to the light

shadingstep16rb.png

second.

you'll have to surround it with more colors to get depth in it, use contrast between color to mantain depth.

shadingstep20ba.png

third.

the final "dark spots" these are essential to depth!

supossed to be darker then the rest and will be good for 3D effect.

try to give this one a high contrast depending on the light volume

shadingstep32oa.png

result.

shadingstep44la.png

tadaa! not to hard yet a pretty good result.

signature_1.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tutorial is very well constructed even if i'm not totaly sure the best way to pixel is to start from a freehand that you later resize...i think anything should be done directly in the 300x150 window you work on...but that's just me maybe.

Surely will help a lot of ppl out there. Maybe this should be turned into a sticky :)

Cheers :)

The tutorial is very well constructed even if i'm not totaly sure the best way to pixel is to start from a freehand that you later resize...i think anything should be done directly in the 300x150 window you work on...but that's just me maybe.

Surely will help a lot of ppl out there. Maybe this should be turned into a sticky :)

Cheers :)

Yes, thats what I do too :P

I guess it doesnt really matter alot, if you prefer to draw big first, why not go ahead and do it? ;)

Nice tutorial Quer.

Im pretty sure this will help alot of people :)

tipitsigte0.png

tho it all depends on how good you are at freehand in comparison to drawing on the computer not to mention if you have a scanner or not.

bossie4yr.png

this was when i still drew on the comp, see the difference in result?

not to mention this was long ago.. after a few style changes

signature_1.gif

I like your tutorial, and I want to learn to make pixel art. My only problem is that I can't draw very well, so it makes it almost impossible. Anyways, keep up the good work, I enjoyed this tut!

~Grath

grath try using reference images, copy a pose of someone from a photograph or something like that draw his stick figure like that.

then continue trying adding muscles to it and clothing

do this numerous amount of times practice a little shading on it and you will see that your results will get better each time.

ran it was for a competition of smellysocks back in the days there were about 14 contestants so it was overused after 1 competition :lol: unfortunately for me it looks to much alike the one Blazer made..

signature_1.gif

Nice tutorial i used your last one and loved it using the search button aswell this one is the same lay out but even better as ran said i hope to see more tutorials from you aswell and as TJ said this should be made into a sticky although every time people say that it never happens although this will be a helpful sig thanks again!

Neanderslave

neanderslave2pmdw2uq4.jpg

thanks ran, but i think this is the last one.. well i think.. im going to expand this one further and further with new details instead of making a new one

thanks neander i remember that i would pm it to you but i forgot :oops:

and i dont think it will be sticky'd but if it could be linked in the "image faq for the new artist - by peter" then i would already be a happy man.

signature_1.gif

thanks ran, but i think this is the last one.. well i think.. im going to expand this one further and further with new details instead of making a new one

thanks neander i remember that i would pm it to you but i forgot :oops:

and i dont think it will be sticky'd but if it could be linked in the "image faq for the new artist - by peter" then i would already be a happy man.

Lol thats ok i forgot about you pming it to me aswell :oops: anyway it would had been awkward pming to all the people who ask whereas you can just post for public use!

Definately better than your other one and the more you add the better it will get and the more likely it is that it gets linked or stickied!

Neanderslave

neanderslave2pmdw2uq4.jpg

Yours and any others I could find have been added to the sticky, look at the bottom.

peterstretchfn5.gif

Yours and any others I could find have been added to the sticky, look at the bottom.

thanks oiler :D

signature_1.gif

• 2 weeks later...