Tip.It Times - Total amount of GP in RS?

Eeeeediot

The below article has recently been posted on the Tip.It Times on the main Tip.It website and it is quoted below. Feel free to discuss it or post your opinions :)

Tip.It Times[/url]":4rjx5m24]Total amount of GP in RuneScape

Duke Freedom

Many people wonder about how many pure gpÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s (gold pieces) there are floating around in the RuneScape economy. Its hard to make a good estimate because there are so many different factors in play, from the easier ones like high alching to the rather vague ones like the amount of gp "banned" by Jagex, by banning characters. Nevertheless, IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢m still going to make an educated guess at it, backing it up with several facts and statistics.

So letÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s start by taking a look at the money makers first. Nothing surprising: fletching and smithing are the major ones, as most people probably expected. However, since the introduction of dragon hide ranging armour, crafting is becoming more important. Thieving contributes a small amount of gp too and lastly we have the "monster drop" money maker.

LetÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s define the money drains now. It must be said that they are much more difficult to estimate though. We have: banning (vague one, but very important), shops (runes, arrows, drag scimitars, longs, battle axes, square halves, cannons and more of such items) and lastly the barrows.

It is without doubt that smithing would have been the biggest gp creator back in the day, but because smithing is practically obsolete nowadays, because fletching is a much faster money creator and because F2P can support the fletch-money machine since the beginning of RS2 by cutting yews, the times have changed and fletching has become far more important then smithing.

On to the statistics: how much did fletching roughly bring into the economy? If you analyse the high scores, you can estimate that all people who can make yew longs (about 40,000 players) have a total of 112,000 million experience points combined. Yeah that is correct, I said a total of 112 billion fletching exp. Subtracting the amount of XP needed to be able to fletch yew longs (times 40,000 players) that means a total of 82 billion fletching exp gained after the ability to make yew longs. Dividing that number by the XP you gain from making a strung yew long (150 exp) that means a total of 550mil strung yew longs were made. We can safely assume that they were all high alched (768gp) and conclude that fletching brought about 420 billion gp into the game.

I calculated the amount of gp created by smithing the same way. The first 200,000 players got 63,500mil exp combined; 46,000mil exp after steel plate smithing. 46,000 divided by 275 exp for a steel plate means 170mil steel plates. 170mil steel plates times 1,200gp is 200 billion.

Using the same tactic with crafting. First 6,000 people? 10,800mil exp ? 6,000mil exp after blue dragon hide leather body crafting? 28,5mil blue dragon hide leather bodyÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s ? 160bil gp created. But because dragon hide crafting is not the only way to level crafting and because dragon hide crafting is only possible since the start of RS2 I would make the estimate a little lower and put it at 100 billion.

The last skill to consider is thieving. First 30,000 people? 25,500mil exp? 20,500mil exp after knight thieving? 240mil thefts? 15bil gp. Almost negligibly small compared to the other skills.

The last money maker, combat, can only be guessed at. I assumed 500,000 players (the 500,000th player is approximately 65 combat) all introduced 0.2mil gp into the economy by combat (note that combat doesnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t only mean money dropped by the monsters, but also the high alching of items that are dropped by the monsters). That would be another 100bil into the economy.

How much gp the money drains drained from RuneScape can only be estimated at, and these can be a lot off the reality, but IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ll try my best to make an educated estimate anyway.

I think we can say about 50bil-90bil gp was banned by Jagex. Note that you should also add all gp that went to RuneScape Classic to this total. According to stories I heard, numerous hackers with 100s mils have been banned. Also, duper accounts who cashed out duped party hats might have been banned with loads of gp on them. I mostly base my guess on these cases.

Now IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢m going to estimate the gp drained by regular shops, like arrow and rune shops since the start of RuneScape 2. Assuming that there were 4 people at each of the (average during the whole period of RuneScape 2) 70 servers buying 10 items for 25gp every 15 seconds since the start of RuneScape 2 we can calculate the gp drained: 4 people * 70 servers * 3,600 sec/h * 24h/day * 500 days since RuneScape 2 = 12,000mil seconds. 12,000mil / 15 sec/click * 10 items/click * 25gp/item = 200bil gp drained.

As for the money drained by other shops (weapons, armour, cannons, shield halves and other expensive items like that), letÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s say about 60bil was drained by them. Adding approximately 40bil, which I estimated to be drained back in RuneScape Classic by shops, and we have a total of 200 + 60 + 40 = 300bil drained by shops.

Lastly weÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ll take a look at barrows, although it is not an important factor - yet. Barrows has been out for 4 months now. LetÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s say there were 2,500 sets out there on average and that they had to be repaired three times every month (that means about 1.5 hours of combat training per day). 2,500 sets * 3 times * 4 months * 330k gp/time = 10bil gp drained.

To recap, in total I estimate about 420 + 200 + 100 + 15 + 100 = 835bil gp created and 70 + 200 + 60 + 40 + 10 = 380bil drained. The result of that would be 455bil gp in the economy. Although the whole analysis looks quite accurate and although IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢m quite convinced IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢m not off by too much, you should keep in mind that there have been various (huge?) assumptions and this estimate could be off by a lot.

I hope all this talk about 100bil here and 100bil there didnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t scare too many of you. If you enjoyed reading this article then feel free to give feed back about it on the forums.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something interesting I would like to add here is that I did similiar calculations before, about 2 months ago and somewhere around december 2004. My estimates were respectively ~350bil and ~150bil at those times.

This means that, if my estimates are right, between december 2004 and july this year, approximately 1bil gp entered the economy each day. And comparing the current estimate to the one of about two months ago it would be even more like ~1.5bil gp / day now.

Now you might wonder, isn't ~1.5bil gp / day a little much? Roughly I think we can say there are ~60-70K players online simultaneously on average. This translates to about 1.6mil 'player hours' a day. So to reach the ~1.5bil estimate, every hour a player spends on this game, he should (on average) introduce 1K more gp then that he drains from the economy. That doesn't sound too impossible and unlikely. :)

WOW....... Very nice calculations :-D

I never knew there was more than a bil gp in rs.. Then again that must be why I have a D in math.. :-(

x12.png

blackgoldrobesrv5.png

Yes I am a girl. No, I won't be your girlfriend. :oops:

only 455 bill? meh duke freedom has that much in his pocket, my educated guess is prolly up in the trills, cause alot of people theive too im not sure if that was counted, not to mention runecrafters crafting nats and selling, also barrows has influenced a bit of money, and im sure everyone knows about santa hats :(

only 455 bill? meh duke freedom has that much in his pocket, my educated guess is prolly up in the trills, cause alot of people theive too im not sure if that was counted, not to mention runecrafters crafting nats and selling, also barrows has influenced a bit of money, and im sure everyone knows about santa hats :(

Last I heard it was closer to 455 mil in his bank :P

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

Selling barrows and natures doesn't increase the amount of money circulating at all :wink:

Also, he did mention thieveing...

Amazing calculations Duke.

An incredibly large text and incredibly fast and not-boring to read :)

Thanks for that.

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me

Yep as apinagez already highlighted on, items have no factor on the amount of gp in the game. Sure they have value, but the item only represents a certain amount of gp, not the gp themselves.

he forgets the relatively big f2p money sink, well as big as f2p can get... 60 gp per trip to karamja...

It's not that big compared to other money sinks.

Anyhow, that was very interesting to read. The only possible inaccuracy that i could spot was the smithing one:

I calculated the amount of gp created by smithing the same way. The first 200,000 players got 63,500mil exp combined; 46,000mil exp after steel plate smithing. 46,000 divided by 275 exp for a steel plate means 170mil steel plates. 170mil steel plates times 1,200gp is 200 billion.

I think that may change a little bit given that since late RSC / early RS2 many higher level smiths made knives and arrowheads out of their bars. I'm thinking that a fair amount of that XP may have been gained making rune armor as well.

charging crystal bows can be a huge money sink just one more # for your calc. but other wize i loved it .

Crystal bows aren't very popular and perhaps would be an insignificant factor when you look at the whole picture. Besides, the calculation of the barrows equipments perhaps has already covered this aspect.

And while the estimates may not be very accurate, the article is a great read nevertheless.

Pardon my multiple edits btw as my keyboard is not very responsive after a spillage this afternoon.

ok i just wanted to say, I usualy love this feature. but thsi one was just confusing, useless, and boring.

the last few have been great but anymore liek this and i may just stop reading it all together

They are still good i like to read them

homerhc6.jpg

Respect- Oy_the_Great, Lode, Bubsa, Weezcake, Thrash111, Gloric, Vmser, Pianofrieak2, Runemetsa

Sigs Made By - Pink

ok i just wanted to say, I usualy love this feature. but thsi one was just confusing, useless, and boring.

the last few have been great but anymore liek this and i may just stop reading it all together

Different people like different things, and its impossible to please everyone everytime. If you didn't like it no need to flame and say you'll never read it again, just say it was a good and new idea but you found it confusing and you prefer the articles of past weeks better.

Last I heard it was closer to 455 mil in his bank :P

Usually much less, but the most pure gp I ever had was around 600mil. Gp only deflates, I prefer rares ;).

Anyhow, that was very interesting to read. The only possible inaccuracy that i could spot was the smithing one:

I think that may change a little bit given that since late RSC / early RS2 many higher level smiths made knives and arrowheads out of their bars. I'm thinking that a fair amount of that XP may have been gained making rune armor as well.

True. But note that I didn't count any exp the top smithers got above 98 smithing and that mith bars give nearly twice the gp / exp, while I didn't consider them at all. Seeing how quite a few smithers do use mith bars, my thought was that not considering them would make up for the assumption that all the exp gotten was by smithing steel plates.

The same is true for fletching. I didn't take arrow makers into consideration, but neither did I do something with the fact that people make magic longs too.

charging crystal bows can be a huge money sink just one more # for your calc. but other wize i loved it .

Well I put those in the group of gp drained by expensive items bought in a shop. But from what I heard crystal bows aren't too popular.

Thanks for the positive reactions, I was affraid it would be little boring or something, but luckily most of you seem to like it :).

I really enjoyed that. Thanks for the read Duke, and Tip It Times is looking great (I was going to use the initials until I noticed what they spelled :D)

Whats wrong with a little tee eye tee?

Anyhow most of us enjoyed that Duke, hopefully there will be more interesting stuff like that written in the future :D