guide to going f2p with a full bank (AOW discussion)

shade_bandyt

Tip.It staff note: This guide has been copied to the Archive of Wisdom http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=560977

This original topic is for replies to the author and discussion.

Introduction

This guide will explain how to go from members to F2P and never have to worry about the limited F2P bank space even if your bank is full of members items, or even junk items.

You all know that member's bank holds way more items than free players. In the event that you need to go F2P for a while, for whatever reason (credit card declined, changing banks, parents denied, less time to play, etc), here is a great way to still enjoy the game with the severely limited bank space.

The Problem

Most people try to deal with this problem by trying to sell off their member items. You see it all the time, huge "Quitting Members" sales in the forums, in a desperate attempt to clear their bank down while trying to at least get some money for all the stuff they own. The sad reality is, usually if theyve already cancelled, their time is limited and it means they are desperate to get rid of the items. At the last minute "everything must go" regardless how low the offers are, because if they dont sell, they have to give it away or sell to shops or just drop them. With this method, even if you barely get your bank size down to the f2p allotment, youre probably facing a huge loss.

The Solution

The better option to me is to store multiple amounts of all the items you will be using during your time in F2P. This way, you overcome the bank space problem, and you can actually store more f2p items than the designated 60 spots.

How it Works

The key is to always leave at least 1 of the item in the bank to hold the space, so that you can deposit the item again when you want to. F2P items are usually much cheaper in general than member items, the most expensive probably being rune armor and weapons, but coming from members, money making options are plentiful, and the cost is nothing compared to the loss you could face from a bank sale going wrong. Not only that, in the event you resubscribe to members, you can always sell the extra rune sets back to recover the cost

The next tip is to sort your bank so that your f2p items are near the top, and your member items are to the bottom. You never need to scroll down, since everything you need is on your first 1-2 pages. You can just completely forget about the lower part of your bank, since you dont want to take out anything there that you cant use and cant put back

Finally, DONT USE "WITHDRAW ALL"!!!!! particularly for stackable items like your gp, runes or arrows, and for nothing items. Be very careful to make sure and select withdraw X and make sure you are not entering a bigger quantity than what you have in your bank. Once you withdraw all of any item, you CANNOT PUT IT BACK

In the event that you accidentally withdraw all of an item, you might need to get a "trusted friend" account to transfer the item to. But it really is an inconvenience unless you can get the "friend" online and where you are when you need the item. It's not a situation you want to be in, but its better than walking around with all of an item and wasting inventory space, or worse, dying and losing it all

NEW EDIT Strategy for Setting up your Bank

This is the step-by-step game plan for your month of membership that you will want to follow to make the most out of this technique. It will actually require you to change your game a bit, but its a simple matter of thinking a bit differently than you normally do, and the rewards is more than worth the trouble.

1st: You might want to print out the checklist at the bottom of this guide. All items that you think youll need to store or use in f2p, check them off. Add any extrs items that i dont have (like lower level armor, new items since the update, etc). Then, while in members, start loading up your bank with at least 1 of each of these items that you would like to have stored when you get back to f2p. Remember that members bank has 3nearly 400 spots, so feel free to load up junk tools and anything at all. I mean TOTALLY store everything, even ashes and burnt food, even worthless junk items.

2nd: During your month in members, take the time to organize your bank in a neat and efficient way, with related items grouped together. Make sure you are satisfied with the way your bank looks, and you know where everything is. Now get in the habit of making sure that at least one of the items you need remains in the bank, to always maintain the layout youve set up. For example, if youre making arrows in members, and you cut 1k logs and you have 15k feathers, leave back some logs and feathers in the bank, even if its just one log and 15 feathers. You dont have to fletch them all. The habit of preserving your bank layout will be worth much more than those 15 arrows. in fact, i would advise you leave more, or chop an uneven number just to make sure youre not tempted to use them up

3rd: Realise that there are 2 types of items: tools and materials. I classify tools as anything you use one of, and put back when youre done. so things like armor, robes, weapons, and actual tools, fall into this category. Materials are any items that are consumed during training, like arrows, runes, food, wood, ores, and so on. Generally, its a good idea to have at least 3 of all "tool" items in the bank, and about 40-50 "material" items. right now i have a number of iron, steel and mith plates in my bank for high alching. because of what i use them for (mage training), these are material items in my context. If youre a pker, or tend to lose certain items often, then of course youll need to stock more. Also, if you find yourself left with just one of a certain item that you need to train with, OBTAIN ANOTHER ONE FIRST, or better yet get a few. Its actually better for you if you dont train that particular skill to keep your bank layout and number of spots set up the way it was.

Even before you cancel your membership, start getting in the habit of playing this way. Play and train as if you already cant store items, or cant withdraw all. Not only will you be hugely advantaged by having LOTS of items in your bank, but youll also be very organized and efficient, and youll find things in your bank super easy. Even if you do decide later on to go back to members, you wont break your habit of keeping your layout set up the way it is.

BONUS Duplicating Quest and Special Items

Credit to DragnFly for this section:

•  

[*:2e8r0u3p]Amulet of accuracy - Only method of obtaining additional amulets is thru trades with other players, or if you happen to get lucky enough to find one someone sold to general store/dropped. Tradable.

[*:2e8r0u3p]Anti-Dragon breath shield - Withdraw if you have. Head upstairs in lumbridge castle, drop and talk to the duke of lumbridge to obtain another, repeating as necessary for desired quantity and pick them up. Also, the duke doesn't notice shields in banknote form, so they can be withdrew as note form without having to be dropped.

[*:2e8r0u3p]Blurite Ore - No limits, just simply head down to the ice cave and mine as much as desired.

[*:2e8r0u3p]Blurite Sword - Currently not obtainable again after quest. During the quest, mine as many blurite ores as you need, with twice the number of iron bars as ores. Ask Thurgo to make you a sword, then drop it and ask again until he's made all the swords you need. Then pick up all the swords and head back to the White Knights Castle to finish the quest. Before you talk to the squire, drop all the swords on the ground except one. The squire will take that from your inventory and reward you for completing the quest. Then pick up the other swords.

[*:2e8r0u3p]Easter Ring - Withdraw your ring and go to Diango in draynor. Drop your ring and talk to him, asking for another ring. Repeat as desired, then pick all up.

[*:2e8r0u3p]Ghostspeak amulet - Make sure you have none in bank, if you do withdraw it and head towards the hut in the back of lumbridge swamp. Once you arrive there, drop it and talk to father urhney to obtain another, repeating as necessary for as many as you would like, then pick up the rest.

[*:2e8r0u3p]Maze key - You can stock up on these only for that part of the dragon slayer quest. After the part of the quest where you the map piece, you cant get any additional keys. When you ask Oziach for a key to the maze the first time, simply drop it and ask him again until you have enough, then pick them all up.

[*:2e8r0u3p]Silverlight - Before killing Derlith, drop the first sword you get and talk to Sir Prysin to buy another, repeat for desired quantity then pick them up.

Multiple Item Checklist

Here's a checklist of all theF2P items you'll want to have multiple quantities of:

Combat

•  

[*:2e8r0u3p]Rull rune (2-3 sets)

[*:2e8r0u3p]Rune Battle Axe, Scimitar, Rune 2-Hand

[*:2e8r0u3p]Boots, Gloves (or leather vambs), Capes (black, or all same color)

[*:2e8r0u3p]Amulets of Defense

[*:2e8r0u3p] Amulet of Strength

Ranged

•  

[*:2e8r0u3p]Full Green Dragonhides

[*:2e8r0u3p]Coifs

[*:2e8r0u3p]Maple Short Bows

[*:2e8r0u3p]Every type of arrow (even if you dont use bronze, keep a space for them... arrows are not easy to get in f2p)

[*:2e8r0u3p] Amulet of Power (better range boost than ammy of accuracy)

Magic

•  

[*:2e8r0u3p]Blue Wizard Hats, Robes (Top & Bottom)

[*:2e8r0u3p]Air, Fire, Earth, and Water Staves

[*:2e8r0u3p]Every type of rune (make sure you have piles of all 11 types)

[*:2e8r0u3p]Antifire Shields

[*:2e8r0u3p]Amulet of of magic

Woodcutting/Firemaking

•  

[*:2e8r0u3p]Rune Axes

[*:2e8r0u3p]Plain, Oak, Willow, Yew logs

[*:2e8r0u3p]Tinderboxes

Mining/Smithing

•  

[*:2e8r0u3p]Rune Pickaxes

[*:2e8r0u3p]All ores up to the highest to estimate to mine (if you are near 70, stock a few addy ore for the space)

[*:2e8r0u3p]All bars up to the highest you estimate to smith

[*:2e8r0u3p]Hammers

Crafting

•  

[*:2e8r0u3p]All types of molds

[*:2e8r0u3p]Balls of String

[*:2e8r0u3p]Needles

[*:2e8r0u3p]Rolls of Thread

[*:2e8r0u3p]Cowhides (hard or soft leather if you want, but not necessary)

[*:2e8r0u3p]Brown aprons

[*:2e8r0u3p]Chisels

[*:2e8r0u3p]All types of cut gems (if you cant cut a gem yet, still keep at least one of the cut type, but also store the uncuts too)

[*:2e8r0u3p]Tiaras

Runecrafting

•  

[*:2e8r0u3p]Rune essence (normal and pure)

[*:2e8r0u3p]Every type of talisman

[*:2e8r0u3p]Air tiaras, mind tiaras (not necessary, they can be made on site, but good for saving time)

Fishing/Cooking

•  

[*:2e8r0u3p]Small nets or fishing rods and bait or fly rods and feathers (depending on level)

[*:2e8r0u3p]Harpoons

[*:2e8r0u3p]Lobster Cages

[*:2e8r0u3p]Raw and cooked fish of every type you plan to catch/cook (you can keep only cooked, if you plan to always cook all before banking)

Prayer

•  

[*:2e8r0u3p]Big Bones (not necessary if you bury on site)

[*:2e8r0u3p]Holy Symbols

[*:2e8r0u3p]Monk Robes (tops and bottoms)

Misc... - Some extra stuff to bank not really in a particular category.

•  

[*:2e8r0u3p]Gold Pieces (duh!! lol)

[*:2e8r0u3p]Limpwurt Roots and Red Spider Eggs

[*:2e8r0u3p]Vials (empty and water filled)

[*:2e8r0u3p]Rune Med Helm (Alching Purpose)

[*:2e8r0u3p]Strength Potions

[*:2e8r0u3p]Brass Keys

[*:2e8r0u3p]Full Mith (for smithing, selling, running thru wildy)

[*:2e8r0u3p]Woad Leaves (no idea why)

[*:2e8r0u3p]Feathers

[*:2e8r0u3p]Ropes

[*:2e8r0u3p]Spades

[*:2e8r0u3p]Knives

[*:2e8r0u3p]Chocolate (Bars and Dust)

[*:2e8r0u3p]eyes of newt

[*:2e8r0u3p]Dwarfen Stouts & Wizard Mind Bombs

[*:2e8r0u3p]Buckets

[*:2e8r0u3p]Pots

[*:2e8r0u3p]Silk

[*:2e8r0u3p]Steel nails

[*:2e8r0u3p]Planks

Conclusion

Go through the checklist and make sure that you have doubled up on everything i have listed here. Modify it to suit your skill levels and skills you are working on. Believe me, this way you can spend way more time in F2P without worrying about the items you've lost, and you can rejoin members when you want to (most do) but you are not pressured into rejoining because as a free player you'll have everything you need.

Remember that this doesnt guarantee anything. New updates in the game usually means new items. Also bear in mind that Halloween, Christmas and Easter usually means new items that might be impossible to store or duplicate. Also, theres always the possibility that you might accidentally withdraw something youre not supposed to. But thats totally unavoidable, so take this as a disclaimer. Enjoy!

Are you a member with a full bank and cancelling your subscription? Are you an F2P player that wants more bank space? Check out my guide on Going to F2P with a full bank

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice little guide, but one thing, you don't nececarily need to stock harpoons or lobster pots in your bank. The only place you can fish swordfish and lobsters is in Karamja, which you can only get to by going through port sarim, and there is a fishing supply shop right there.

Nice little guide, but one thing, you don't nececarily need to stock harpoons or lobster pots in your bank. The only place you can fish swordfish and lobsters is in Karamja, which you can only get to by going through port sarim, and there is a fishing supply shop right there.

Well why not have some in your bank, if you CAN

Uula.png

I think it is better to stock ur fishing supplies, because do you want to have to buy another one everytime you go fishing. This is unless your bank space is severely limited. Otherwise, you could use up an empty space or three for fishing stuff.

Noctis666.png

nice guide, well pointed out

RSN: 1 day late | Private chat: On

| 60 ATTACK | 81 STRENGTH | 72 HITPOINTS |

| 80 MAGIC | 13 PRAYER | 1 DEFENSE | 65 COMBAT |

on second thought, i dont think a pic is needed. just follow the guide. print it out and check off the things you will need

my bank is actualy not the best example. im primarily mining, runecrafting and craft, so i dont have logs or other stuff that other people might have. plus its arranged to suit the way im accustomed from members, not really the way i advise in this guide

mith for pking , rofl.

lol i didnt say pking, i said wildy. i usually go there with a cheap set of armor i can afford to lose. im not a pker

i should also mention that god armors, trimmed armors and holiday items and rares are also usable in f2p. and while you might be rich enough to afford multiple blue phats, it simply doesnt make sense just wearing it if youre just in f2p. and if you dont have multiple of it, then youre stuck with it until you get back members, ot your friend is REALLY that trustworthy lol

Are you a member with a full bank and cancelling your subscription? Are you an F2P player that wants more bank space? Check out my guide on Going to F2P with a full bank

i tried to make the checklist comprehensive, but depending on the levels and skills of your character, you would need certain items more than others. not many people are that big on runecrafting or smithing, but might be crafting ammies or holy symbols, etc. so it has to be modified to suit your needs. also, its better to have it in your bank and not need it, than to need it and not have it

thats great list. cuz i'm kinda debating with myself if i shoudl cancel members for a while due lack of time to play :)

thanks

1500+ total 89 cmb; 1600+ total and under 93 cmb.

02/04/07 reached all skills 60+ under lvl 90 cmb.

07/19/07 reached all skills 70+ at lvl 93 cmb.

Prayer is good for herbs

ok, by request, heres a pic of my bank. it would have been a nightmare to try and sell off this stuff. plus i'm only planning to be f2p for a little while. my major skills are rc, smithing and crafting, so my bank is stocked up accordingly. also its not a perfect example because i dont have the f2p items arranged to the top. i had it sorted this way since members, so i kept the layout since it works for me and i know ehere to find anything. if your bank is NOT organized, putting the f2p items to the top is a good idea

the items with the little red dots are f2p useable items

bank.png

remember, this is just to demonstrate having a full bank while in f2p with no problems about bank space. pls no comments or offers on the items (except the mith and big bones hehehe)

misc - some extra stuff that i banked that are useable in f2p

gold pieces (duh!! lol)

limpwurt roots and red spider eggs

vials (empty and water filled)

ammies of accuracy

rune daggers

strength potions

brass keys

woad leaves (no idea why)

feathers

ropes

spades

knives

chocloate bars and dust

eyes of newt

monk robes tops and bottoms

dwarfen stouts

buckets

pots

silk

Just in case you were wondering why, you need woad leaves to make blue dye (I think), and you need blue dye to complete a f2p quest (goblin diplomacy?) You can also get more woad leaves in f2p from a gardener in the falador gardens.

lewd, thanks bro. and thank you all that found this guide was informative and useful

dbresq, i know what woad leaves are for, but i have no intention of making dies, so i really didnt need to bank them. plus i already did all the f2p quests

as i was admiring my pixels that ive spent so many hours acheiving, i decided to count the items with the red dots. i found that i have 126 f2p items i can use!!!!! thats more than twice i would have if i sold everything in my bank! and its possible to have even more! this is a WAAY better alternative than emptying your bank

woad leaves are used to make blue dye which can be used on capes to turn them blue an easier route is to buy them from either the champions guild (cape) or the woad leaves from the gardener in falador :P

jfkmk3.jpg

New sigzor^^

after several comments about my mith sets, i moved it from the combat section and put it in misc. its more of a personal style, plus i smith them and sell full mith, but its not something youll generally need to have for combat.

i found thru discussion on other threads that this method is also an excellent way to overcome the problem of limited bank space for f2p players. its possible, and totally legal, to join members for 1 month, and stock up your bank with at least 1 of every single f2p item. you could actually store almost every type of armor from bronze to rune, every type of log, fish, tool, rune, jewelry, material, etc. and it sure beats creating multiple accounts for illegal drop trading just to store more stuff

you should add the guide how to duplicate the new cristmas hats so u can have like 10 of each

i dont think thats possible. theres no option to drop the hats. you can wear them or destroy them. if you could drop them you could ask diango for another one then pick up the one you dropped. but since you cant, then once you withdraw it you cant bank it again. just destroy it when you dont need it and get it back from diango when you do

obviously your gameplay will be different. i also have the hats and scarves in my bank, as well as a shade top and my beloved lederhosen hat. but i dont bother to take them out because i cant put them back in, and for all practicality i really have no reason to take them out