Tutorial. Cropping a picture with a lot of detail.

ghghth

Cropping Tutorial

Heres a tut teaching you how to crop out a pic with a lot of detail. A lot of people use the magic wand or lasso tool but I think this works better.

1. Open up the picture you want to crop out. Like a person for example. I choose Mark Hoppus from Blink 182... lol his pic looked cool :P. Thanks David Atlas for the pic :).

step1.jpg

2. I tried to magic tool this pic but when I came around the hair it started going crazy like this. This is why I would choose my way.

step2.jpg

3. Press ctrl + alt + x. It will open up an extract screen. You have to get familiar to this screen. It has a brush tool, a magnifyer, and a paint bucket.

step8.jpg

4. Zoom into the most detailed place.. in this picture the hair is. Use a small brush size and draw around it. Hold ctrl to get a better and easier draw around. BTW.. an easy way to zoom around something you want is hold and drag a box around it (with the magnifying glass) and it will zoom into that spot only :).

step9.jpg

5. It should look something like this when you done. Dont worry if you didnt draw exactly around it.

step10.jpg

6. Choose the bucket tool, and make the colour what every you want. I just used blue since its default. After filling it up press okay.

step6.jpg

7. When its done extracting you will see its still slightly messy around some places. Just click on the eraser tool (hold down) and choose the background eraser tool. Put it really small (like 1-2) and erase the little things around your pic. Since its transparent you can put it anywhere and it wont block out your background (like no white will appear around the picture.

step8.jpg

step7.jpg

Your done!.... You can use this is sigs or just random things. Heres something I put it in (didnt take too much work on it though :P).

final11.jpg

Enjoy!

If there are any spelling mistakes in this tutorials just pm me :).

Post what you came up with and try to make a sig with this :).

Guest 0bscure

Yuck yuck yuck...thats for low quality cropping. It leaves little peices of the background everywhere and looks like crap. I prefer to use the polygon lasso tool and trace it by hand, smooth the selection, and cut it out. It comes out much nicer that way.

Guest 0bscure
layer mask is the way. Start with an inaccurate polygon lasso and clear it up with small brush.

Nahh..just use polygon lasso around it, enter quick mask mode, and apply a small median (I believe) filter and it smooths it out pretty well. Using the brush with your mouse turns out bad.

• 1 year later...

i might be newer to this and totally wrong, but i find it works pretty well to simply zoom in and hand erase around your character. Its time consuming but you can blend it a little and it comes out nice

i might be newer to this and totally wrong, but i find it works pretty well to simply zoom in and hand erase around your character. Its time consuming but you can blend it a little and it comes out nice

Yes... 2 Years newer. ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâì_ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâì

Don't bump posts from 2 years ago.

It's plain stupid.

Fine, on topic then:

I use paint for cropping, if I do any cropping of real images at all. Renders FTW!

New rule reguarding bumping says that as long as the new reply is on topic and not spammish, the topic won't get locked. It was bumped with a valid comment so this will stay open for anyone else who wants to discuss this tutorials. Otherwise, please don't comment this topic about the bump, thanks.

5637_s.gif

Pixel sigs by me.

Pixel Art

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...