Let's clarify a few things :) - Mea culpa!

As most of you know by now, I've been permanently banned from RuneScape as of the third of may. The reason of it is because I have broken rule 12: Real World Item Trading. The permanent ban is there to stay.

In two days I'll be turning 19. Anyway, the reason why I did it is because I'm university student doing two studies. The real life selling of runescape gp's was a nice option for me to afford my expenses somewhat. Furthermore, I was merely a "peon" in the whole real life trading scheme (despite my richness) and no I'm not responsible for any of the real life trading adds here on tip.it nor did I sell directly on ebay.

Ironically I had actually stopped with the selling 1.5 month ago and didn't do any trades since then anymore. Apparently it was already too late and inevitable though - Jagex probably already had the plans to ban me, or it may have happened because they caught my main buyer.

I want to stress that the real life trading rule is the only rule I ever broke in runescape. All my gp's were made fully legally by merchanting and investing in rares.

Whether this will change your opinion about me is something everyone will have to decide for himself. According to Jagex' news item of 3 may (coincidence or what?) I belong in the group of "dishonest" players :?. Their advice to stop breaking the rules now seems a bit hilarious to me, since that's what I did 1.5 month ago already and it apparently made no difference.

But I know what I did and Jagex knows what I did. The only sad part is that I actually stopped doing it already, but I guess that doesn't really matter anymore. In the end, I consciously took the risk and now I have to face it.

I guess it's now the time to say a few thank you's now :).

Firstly, I want to thank the tip.it staff for the fun time on the team. It was great to have worked with you guys and you're all nice people. I'm sorry it has to end like this, but it really makes no difference in my respect for you guys. You didn't had an other choice then to remove me from the team. Keep up the great work. :)

Secondly, since I have been a pmod for about half a year as well, I want to wish good luck to the whole pmod team plus the Jagex staff directing the pmods. Most of you are doing one hell of a job as well, and I feel the community is really appreciating it too little.

Furthermore I want to thank tfe2, ajl221893 (also called ajl :P or Adam007 on here), blackrazor, darkzlayer, andyawz, furious f, thehate, killwarrior, thenext88, unleash1, lasallite2, gavin 05, bacon2003, uwillbeowned, soccastar, me poulin, dr nuck, sliceman, fighter ss4, skeletorus09, dnt mess and nubstyle for the great time they gave me in the game.

There are tons more people I could name, but I really don't want to provide a ten-page list here :P. Don't feel saddened I didn't name you - you know who you are! :)

I'll see if I can find a bank pic, but anyway, to prevent people from going to speculate ridiculous stuff about what I owned in rs, I'll just post it here.

At the time of the ban I owned 200 santa hats, 200 pumpkins, 20 mask sets, 1 phat set, 3 half wines, 450mil pure gp and a bunch of other rares. Total value of about ~4bil I think.

I'm not sure what I'll do now. I'll probably continue to publish articles every now and then like I used to do, even though this happened. For the rest I just don't know yet.

~Duke Freedom

~The True Master Merchant

~Permanently Banned

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Duke I respect you a lot, however I think you were a complete muppet to break one of Jagex rules and risk everything - but in the end you paid the price so I guess that's your Just-Dessert.

Anyway best of luck at university, I can partly understand why you would want to make some money - being a student myself, I know how hard it is to keep yourself out of the red. Once again good luck in real life with everything you go on to do - you are a total legend.

It's a shame you had to go out like this, most great players envision their final day to be in great pride, but yours is unfortunately rather more like great shame. :(

~Ian

newsig4ty.jpg

Retired Tip It Moderator | Zybez Radio DJ - Listen Here

You were a great member of both teams Duke!

At least you were a legit merchant :P

At the time of the ban I owned 200 santa hats, 200 pumpkins, 20 mask sets, 1 phat set, 3 half wines, 450mil pure gp and a bunch of other rares. Total value of about ~4bil I think.

That's a TON of stuff gone!

summerpngwy6.jpg

however I think you were a complete muppet to break one of Jagex rules and risk everything

Ah I can live with that thought. :P

At least you were a legit merchant :P.

Still taking proud in that, mot that many of the merchants can say that. ;)

Just out of interest did you manage to sell enough for it to make a difference?

Well Goodluk in life and its a shame that you got banned like this, but as Iantiger said i partially understand why you did it.

cheesebap7dz.jpg

Duke...dont you dare worry about respect falling for several reasons:

1.) respect on the internet is just flat out retarted...who cares about it?

2.) if i were you...i would have done the same...i fully understand where you are coming from considering i am entering Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (VA TECH) in the Fall of 06 and my parents wont even co-sign a loan for me...so funds are gonna need to be made. rule 12 might be against RS rules...but charging so much for an education should be against irl rules haha. i have enough saved for my first year...so im gonna go into like 50-60k of debt after graduation :cry:

no worries bud...you know The Killrz 1 always respects you and always will...i remember you teaching me how to merchant in rsc :P 8-) ...and ive basically quit for months...but without you i would have never been as wealthy as i was on Killrz b4 the hacking...6 phat sets...hundreds of masks...massive raw materials...and hundreds of skill levels b/c of all my cash

thank you so much for being a member of my rs career...and good luck in the future :D

no worries bud...you know The Killrz 1 always respects you and always will...i remember you teaching me how to merchant in rsc :P 8-) ...and ive basically quit for months...but without you i would have never been as wealthy as i was on Killrz b4 the hacking...6 phat sets...hundreds of masks...massive raw materials...and hundreds of skill levels b/c of all my cash

Ah yes, ofcourse I remember you (actually you'd deserve a place in the named list as well :P). Yeah, you were doing very good as one of the few legit merchants as well :).

I'm also a college student, so I can definitely understand the appeal of it. When I was first playing RS I considered making my account good enough to make millions to sell, but as I leveled I realized that I just loved the game too much to risk it (and also found out it was against the rules).

I do have a lot of respect for your accomplishments in merchanting and gaining your items... that is very very impressive... but it is a little sad to find out you'd stoop to breaking rules, even if it is just for monetary profit... Could've stopped playin RS and worked more hours or somethin...

I still like ya, just not that action, so keep in touch on MSN.

tipitcrewex8.jpg

Proud to have gotten 1800 skill total before access to fishing guild

Why make a house when you can rob one?

All I can say is, Duke, the runescape trading world and tip.it will miss you.. Your posts have always been mature, logical, inspiring and always painted a clear view of the art of a true merchant. I know I, among many always enjoyed reading your posts on these boards.

Im sure this is going to turn into one mighty flame war, but the people who knew you and respected you, will still continue to and thats what matters. Goodluck with uni and the rest of your life.

uwbo.png

99 Herblore, 30m+ exp

99 Farming, Smithing, Prayer, Magic, Crafting, Cooking, Fletching.

Gah I guess now you're leaving you wont be returning to make any more fantastic articles like the one you did for Tip It Times, analysing and speculating on the rise and fall in rare prices - those graphs were fascinating.

Please come back sometimes and do reports like that - they were really a joy to read.

~Ian

newsig4ty.jpg

Retired Tip It Moderator | Zybez Radio DJ - Listen Here

hey man, you dont know me (i guess :P , has been 2 long ago)

sad to see you go, loved your articles

goodluck in real life and your studies

What studies did you choose to do btw, and where (yea im from the netherlands 2)

hope you made enough money from it...otherwise its just such a waste :(

Aww, I'm sorry to see you go. I remember that great article you made about the rares, and all the help you've given the Tip community. That was a ton of rares you got banned with...I'm really surprised. Prices might shoot up now lol. Not that it matters to me, I still can't afford any good rares. But now that you're leaving, can you possibly give out your merchanting secrets to the newbs like me? :D

Poor Duke You took one bad turn and got banned for it. I respect you for everything you've done in runescape and on tip.it. I remember meeting you in the old RSC days I sold you Some steel bar certs I didn't know then how far you would go but I feel honored to have been Friends with you all these years.

Anyway I could go on for ever with that but I should just wish you luck with your studies and hope that you stop by every now and then to say hi.

oh and Don't you forget about Rune board! :wink:

mepoulinsigxv29qy.gif

Once in a life time!

dukefreedomdead1ng.png

Another one goes... :(

As for your banning, totally understand why you did that. Think most people would do that in your situation.

You didn't get the farewell you deserved.

Hate to see you go like that. I always thought you were a great moderator on these boards. Hope we'll still hear from you!

Dang... Real shame to hear your gone. I know for a fact you were a great guy. I really respect you. I understand you had to make some money to deal with funds.

Maybe as a good bye you could write another report or guide like you did on the tip.it times. That really intrested me.

I suggest you appeal to Jagex and tell them the 100% truth. Tell them why you did it, the fact you stopped and tell them to look at your history. PMod, No 'Criminal Record' before the obvious one, friendliness, reports, etc...

sig5235ro7.jpg

I'm not really impressed by everyone stating that they are ok with it as you were using the money for yourself. You are part of a community now that try to ruin games like this for your own personal gain, which makes you no better than someone using a macro.

- My skills are now really, really lame ! Time to fix that! -

omfg appeal !!!!!! prices will go up and i wont be able to afford my santa hat :cry: , why duke why !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: u knew its against the rules, id rather fliping clean the streets for 2 bucks a day than sell gp so at the end i get banned .... :evil: :evil: , oh well anyway , at least try to appeal and tell them its ur first and only time ...

2nddraftqt6.jpg

Join the sodb now!

Thanks to misterxman for the great avatar!

I'm not really impressed by everyone stating that they are ok with it as you were using the money for yourself. You are part of a community now that try to ruin games like this for your own personal gain, which makes you no better than someone using a macro.

Its not like that.... Duke made one mistake A very understandable one... I'm guessing your still a kid and don't really understand yet that money matters when you get older....Personal Gain yes but it was necessary for survival. :wink:

mepoulinsigxv29qy.gif

Once in a life time!

dukefreedomdead1ng.png