Guide to easy soloing the KBD (AOW discussion)

headshot007111

Tip.It staff note: This guide has been copied to the Archive of Wisdom

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=558996

This topic is for replies to the author and discussion.

Guide to soloing the KBD

King_Black_Dragon.gif

This guide is intended for people who know where the KBD is, so please don't ask, "How do I get there?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A suggestion by rew_den:

A safe and quick way to get to the KBD is by using a canoe from lumby or barbarian village to get to lvl 35 wildy, from there the KBD is a short walk.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most guides, and most people recommend using Protect from Magic while fighting the KBD. Which does help... a bit. My strategy uses Protect from Melee, and with it I can kill an average of 3 KBDs per trip.

Recommended stats

Combat: 95+

Attack: 80+

Strength: 80+

Defense: 60+

Mage: 80+

Prayer: 60+

Recommended equiptment

Helmet: Beserker > Warrior > Any helmet with decent Mage defense

Amulet: Fury > Glory > Any other decent Amulet

Body: Karils top > Black H'Body > Any other decent Mage defense

Legs: karils skirt > Black H'Chaps > Any other decent Mage defense

Weapon: Abyssal Whip > Dragon Scimitar > DDS

Shield: Anti-fire Shield

Cape: Fire cape > God cape > Legends cape > Normal cape

Boots: Infinity > Climbing > Ranger > Any other decent Mage defense

Gloves: Barrows > Family Crest > Any other decent gloves

Inventory

Note: Inventory may vary depending on on stats.

.2 Prayer potions (4)

.1 Super attack (4)

.1 Super strength (4)

.2 Anti fire (4)

.1 Super anti-poison (4)

.1 Poisoned Dagger (For special)

.Ectophial > Any other 1-click teleport

.Sharks > Monkfish > Swordfish

RAHK also suggested using Super defense potions. I havn't tried using them personally, and I don't know how much they'll actually help. But if you want to try them, go right ahead.

kbdinvy1mz4.jpg

kbdinvy2dt4.jpg

Video vs KBD

Video vs KBD

Heres the long awaited updated version of the video lol, the old one was from before the dragon and demon update, plus the link was broken.

The Strategy

Once you're at the poison spiders, drink 1 dose of Super anti-poison, anti-fire, Super attack and Super strength. Pull the lever and put on Protect Melee, then special out on the KBD with your Dagger. Once your specials are gone, switch to your main melee weapon. Once it's dead, pick up the drops, eat, and then switch worlds or wait for the KBD to respawn. (I switch worlds as to not waste potion additions)

The reason why my strategy owns, is because if you have a high Mage lvl and Mage defense, his attacks won't hit you that often. By the time he's dead, you'll have to use 3 to 5 Sharks normally. Just repot (All potions) when neccesary and keep your Prayer above 20 just incase. Anti-fire runs out in 7 minutes while Super attack, strength and anti-poison run out slowly as well.

I usually use 4 Sharks per kill and maybe 40 Prayer points per kill. Once it's dead, I pick up the drops and switch worlds. If you notice that he starts hitting you often, it's probably because the anti-fire potion has wasted, so watch out for that. (When anti-fire runs out in 7 minutes, it makes an explosion sound you can hear)

Hope my guide helps ::'

Thanks to

Remoteman for convincing me to write this guide

RAHK for ideas and suggestions

Lep1423 for final layout edit

And all of you for reading my guide

About me

Hi, my RSN is King Gorax, I'm 108 combat and I wrote this guide because I saw so many people killing the KBD in groups of 3+ and only getting 1 or 2 kills per trip. This is mainly because they Protect Mage, and his melee attack owns them!!! This is the first guide I have ever written, for anything.

headshot007.jpeg

~Guide to Solo'ing the KBD~

99 Cooking | 99 Firemaking | 99 Attack | 99 defense | 99 Hitpoints

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, man. I didn't think it could be done, or at least that you'd need some really high stats. (for example, my lvl 124 friend said once that he could barely ever solo the KBD. Mind you, this was before the days of whips, dragon scimitars, or ... well you know, when dinosaurs roamed RS.)

Bravo, though. I'll try this out later. :thumbsup:

40onagdca1.png

Oh yeah. That's right.

If you open a level interface you won't lose the boosted stats (you also won't regain hp or recover lowered stats.) You can also leave your prayer on without it draining. I like to reacquaint myself with the smithing tables. :3>

P.S. Why don't you use super def pots? That would cut down on food consumption I would think..?

RahkUrWrld.png

PM me in game to use some skills of mine (glories/potions) free or to ask a question.

Fire Cape - 04/29/06 Lvl 104

RAHK's Pro PC Gear and Guide(clickable)

splash02tm6.jpg Tired of hack and slash? FPSers getting old? Give this game a try!

Lol, the reason i wrote this is cause i thought the archive of wisdom one wasnt that good. (no offence to the author)

Good idea RAHK, mind if i add it to my guide?

Go for it. I editted in a question as well.

RahkUrWrld.png

PM me in game to use some skills of mine (glories/potions) free or to ask a question.

splash02tm6.jpg Tired of hack and slash? FPSers getting old? Give this game a try!

Well since ur using protect from melee u dont get hit by his 25s. Cause i noticed that with pray mage i have to eat every 2nd hit.

Wouldn't a super def pot lower the damage recieved from his mage attacks, though? That is what I am asking. Whether or not the bonus defense would save more than 20hp.

RahkUrWrld.png

Oh, well super defense raises ur defense lvl, which affects the damage u take from melee, but mage lvl affects how often u get hit by mage, so in this case super defense wouldnt help.

Nope, it also depends on your defence level.

Also, what kind of drops do you get?

Oh, well super defense raises ur defense lvl, which affects the damage u take from melee, but mage lvl affects how often u get hit by mage, so in this case super defense wouldnt help.

From the kb:

What affects my magic defence?

Magic defence depends on your magic skill level, defence level and the magic equipment you are wearing.

The higher your skill levels and magic bonus, the less likely you are to get hit. You will also receive less damage from a spell.

That would seem to indicate the defense stat protecting from magic attacks.

RahkUrWrld.png

Well i guess super def pots would help, but i dont use them since i use 2 sharks on average per kill. Super def pots would help.

The KBD drops drag left halves, dmeds and lots of rune stuff.

I gotta go now, be back 2morow, bye.

headshot007.jpeg

~Guide to Solo'ing the KBD~

99 Cooking | 99 Firemaking | 99 Attack | 99 defense | 99 Hitpoints

I managed to kill 2 in one trip witht hat set up :oops:

I'm 110 combat with te Karils/fury set up. I'm taking more prayer pots this trip... All I got was 7 deaths and 105 fires #-o

sig3xj6.png

newbankofrsyq0.gif

^^ Support it or get confused by pixel-mess :D