Proper Light Sources [Updated! 10/15/06] Fixing the options

Made0f12une

Ah thus i've spawned an idea. How many times have you been in an underground cavern and found it COMPLETELY lit up by meesely torches? Never, right? Quite frankly i'm tired of walking around underground and feel like that theres no roof over my head when there should be many layers of rock above me.

My Idea:Make a lightsource (Aka Lamps/Torches) and have that light source light up only the surrounding area

How it Applies: Basicly, insted of having a torch light up the entire cavern, the farther you are away from it, the darker it gets. This could also applie to castles, large houses, ect. ect.

The point of the idea: The point of this whole thing is to make a cavern feel more like a cavern. Im tired of walking around in the cavern and feel that it's roofless. This idea addes a "darkened" effect to caves and makes the entire area rather, dark. The point is not to make it hard to see, but to give you a more cave like feeling. If you have trouble finding your way in the dark or just dont like the idea, there will be an option added into the toolbar so you can turn it on/off

Not only would it give caverns a cool effect, it would give Lamps/mining helmets more uses. You could bring them with you for added late (would only be noticeable with the effects on)

How it looks ingame: I've provided a few edited pictures of how it would look ingame. Note: In the first image I left a spot in the corner so you can notice the difference.

Heres a picture of me holding a lamp in the lumbridge caves

Before

beforeedy4.png

After

afterxt1.png

Basement of Lumbridge Castle

Before

beforee1da9.png

Afeter

after1jx5.png

Lumbridge Dining hall (Note there are no windows)

Before

beforee2hl7.png

Afeter

after2xn0.png

Edgeville Dungeon

Before

beforee3ee4.png

Afeter

after3zu5.png

Conclusion: The end result will be a room or cave that makes you feel like your walking around in darkness and the torches/fires/windows are actraully providing light for the surounding area. With that, you'll be able to turn the effects On or off, depending on preference. [Thanks zaaps1]

Currently redoing the options (again) when I get some free time. Usually swamped with homework.

Supporters:

1.malo2

2.zaaps1

3.Cha0s360

4.MeLikesPizza

5.rsd95

6.toast647

7.xshinobizx

8.englandman66

9.computerwiz77

10.Chaosphinox1

11.Kilo

12.justj2

13.Runescapefan948374

14.santor

15. 1withdragons

16.heart_of_ink

17.Guitarted7

18.Swoooot

19.Prankster_King

20.kruimel0

21.bigsword33

22.Canacas

23.ieatpie

24.dedhed100

25.nicrune008

26.penguingeek3

27.Invincible_N

28.hc2995

29.Arkano5

30.Elphinstone

31.Dorkvader

32.deciever2

33.Kilo

34.Rain_Storm97

-------

--Sigs

|

|

V

siggehkr2.png

[url=http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=543148][img=http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2111/siggehkr2.png][/url]

^

|

|

--Sigs

-------

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

"I backed my car into a cop car the other day

Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok

Alright already we'll all float on

Alright don't worry we'll all float on" - Isaac Brock

Days Hunting:4 - Kingly Imps Caught:2

Money Earned: 4.5-5m

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like this idea, it makes the game much more realistic. But bear in mind however, that some people, including myself, have bad eyesigth, or just not good eyesight. It would make many people sqwint to see, so I suggest there be a button to turn it off and on. I also think that the outer area should be a little see-able, and not completely black.

Overall: i support

i like this idea, it makes the game much more realistic. But bear in mind however, that some people, including myself, have bad eyesigth, or just not good eyesight. It would make many people sqwint to see, so I suggest there be a button to turn it off and on. I also think that the outer area should be a little see-able, and not completely black.

Overall: i support

Thanks for the idea. I was thinking about making it high detial only, but then that would force people like you to play on low detail. I like the option idea, thanks. I'll go add it in

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

It is the way it is so people with bad eyesight can see. Your pics are way too dark. I'd hate it to be that way

Thats why you have the option of turning it off. If you dont like it, turn it off, if you perfer the added affect, turn it on. Easy fix for both parties and everyones happy

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

Um its a good thought but it would be way, way to hard to see. And i know you made it so you can trun it off but i would rather have jagex work on somthing way more productive like a better bank or in game tools or new awsome graphic updates like the giants a dragons. Its a good thought but not a good idea.

prospektssigza4.jpg

Um its a good thought but it would be way, way to hard to see. And i know you made it so you can trun it off but i would rather have jagex work on somthing way more productive like a better bank or in game tools or new awsome graphic updates like the giants a dragons. Its a good thought but not a good idea.

It's MEANT to be hard to see. A Cavern shouldnt be entirely lit up by a few torches. It gives me the feeling that i'm walking around with an open sky cave. Which is boring.

I know I probably over-drasticly shaded some of the pictures such as the lumbridge dining hall, but the WHOLE point of this idea is to give a more cavern like feeling to the world. Caves arent that easy to see in, in the first place

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

Remeber everyone, if you support, dont forget to tell your friends! :D

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

very good idea

It is the way it is so people with bad eyesight can see. Your pics are way too dark. I'd hate it to be that way

and...

On the news today: Eye Glass stores make big bucks!

Ok did you guys not see one of his pics

controlsys6.png

There is an option to have it on or off!!!

Dude I support!!!

~Englandman66~

NEW TIPIT ACCOUNT-KNOTCH_BLADE

951471843knotch.jpg

Click For Bloggeh [Mage 55/55][Defence 26/40] Crafting[32/40]

some of them are TO dark

but yes i understand the concept

its a great idea

I take it you support?

I mentioned in a later post about the darkness

I know I probably over-drasticly shaded some of the pictures such as the lumbridge dining hall, but the WHOLE point of this idea is to give a more cavern like feeling to the world. Caves arent that easy to see in, in the first place

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

Perhaps this could be an option for those people that play on High Detail, kinda like the music hmm :?: Personally, for those of us who have slower computers, this would only slow the loading time of Runescape. #-o

But, otherwise, I support. Very good idea

Chaosphinox1.png

Don't make me poke you with mai big, bad bow... (Yes, I know "my" is spelled wrong.)

Lmao.gif

Perhaps this could be an option for those people that play on High Detail, kinda like the music hmm :?: Personally, for those of us who have slower computers, this would only slow the loading time of Runescape. #-o

But, otherwise, I support. Very good idea

#-o Did you not read that there would be a way to turn this on or off with a button in the options section?

And by the way, music on both High and Low detail now.

I like the idea, personally, but I believe it wouldn't work so well with the current lighting in some rooms. Perhaps they could add some others to make up for the darker rooms such as the dining hall.

Maybe you could add a slight yellow-ish glow to the rooms lit by a fireplace or torches?

You might want to change the text that is displayed on the screen to its normal brightness. The split private chat and the options displayed in the top left-hand corner of the screen.