1. Introduction

2. How to get the flag

3. Keeping the flag

4. Tips on survival

5. What to do if you know your going to die

6. What to do if you lose the flag

7. Credits

1. Introduction

The aim of this guide to teach players how to kill opponents who are trying to score and then how to hold the flag for the rest of the game in order to be victorious.

Stats needed for guide:

70+attack

70+defence

50+range

50+magic

High hitpoints (70+)

50+ agility

Obviously, the higher those stats, the better.

[hide=1. Introduction]Castlewar's is played by many people as a way to pass the time and have fun and I consider it runescape's best minigame. This guide will tell you basically how to stop the opposite team scoring which is simply by grabbing your own flag and holding it for the rest of the game. It may sound simple but when you have ancients and other players after you it can require some skill and trickery.

mainmapiy3.png

undergroundmappq7.png

thats the basic map of cw (i refer to castlewar's as cw from now on).

inventryfz1.png

That is my prefered inventry. DDP++ is used to Ko the player with the flag, dragon hides to protect yourself from mages, bandages for healing, explosive pots to destroy baricades and rocks and finally your own baricades to give yourself breathing space away from the opposition.

setupnl6.png

There is my prefered set up. Obviously the armour can be switched around alot but a decent defence bonus is needed. I like using gold cwars legs as if high levels see them they usually are attracted to it as it can show you know how to play which is needed as cwars is 1 of the very few games where levels do not matter (that much).

Try and get the best mage protection and defence bonus but if you are using barrows remember that it still degrades in the minigame.[/hide]

[hide=2. How to get the flag]

Getting the flag is either extremely hard or extremely easy but the best way to do it by trapping players at various points around the map then unleashing dds specs, followed by whipping them to death.

Maps showing where to run in small detail:

sarateamabovegroundfi5.png

zammyteamabovegroundba4.png

gettingflagdi9.png

some effective traps are placed at the opponents castle when they think they are safe. This can catch them by suprise. In this picture a good friend of mine set up a trap without my knowledge as i couldn't catch the flag carrier. These baricades gave us the time to ko him and grab flag.

gettingflag2sz6.png

trapupstairsaw7.png

This is best used in zammy castle as it requires 1 less baricade due to the boxes already located here. Just read the notes on the picture and you will be fine.

trappo1.png

here is the trap being used and i will show a pic of what happened afterwards.

aftermathnp3.png

This is the aftermath after 1 of my traps working against the 1st attacker

to come across my team.

if you want to just make it easy and get flag instead of saying do this. Don't put a cade under yourself to stop them as it will make the flag safe[/hide]

[hide=3. Keeping the flag]

Keeping the flag can be easy if your in a small game but in a large game requires a large amount of skil to be able to lose your attackers.

walltrapcb6.png

This is useful for halting enemies or killing them and sometimes both :wink: . Drop a cade under yourself to confuse the enemy giving you time to kill them with rocks.

07feb08195214zb2.png

Basically this is like the big gate trick except this door cannot be destroyed! Just close it when the opponent opens it and you will be fine. The main problem is that nearly everyone tries to exit or enter the castle through this door.

trap2sz2.png

This is 1 of the oldest tricks in the book. Basically run round the side and go down the ladder. Run up the ladder and repeat until you have essentail breathing space to get away to a different location.

middle1lo5.png

Before going down the ladder you can wait for people to come round so you don't have to waste energy running round. With a recent update mages/rangers can fire down the middle so you now have to stand in the green dots on the pictures.

trap3lu4.png

This is personally my favourite trick. Read the notes and remember to do it under the opponents castle so when you up the ladder to get more baricades you dont make the flag go safe.

huggingladderki5.png

huggingladder2rv9.png

There is the basic layout for ladder hugging. Read the notes and if you want after they are stuck put a cade down in the way and run off giving you loads of time.

trap4ny5.png

Another old trick which is used alot. Read the notes on the picture even though this place is used alot it is very good. It can also be used as a place to avoid being hit as most people are very slow on the rocks and can give you room to run off.

trap5xi1.png

Not the best trick but works well in big worlds when you have a large amount of people on your team around you.

doortrapiv1.png

afterdoor.png

Here is another good trick but is VERY risky if you have bad players on your team who keep opening the doors as it might cause you to run inside your base and the flag would then go safe. It has happened many times to myself. Run to the opponents castle to get a toolbox if you want as it doesn't take long to repair the door and can stop your opponents before they even reach you.[/hide]

[hide=4. Tips on survival]

Apart from the tricks i have just shown you there is only 1 really good tip on how to survive. Play with friends! Say your out of bands and have a level 70 with range after you. The 70 may be weak but you cannot avoid him without running into the rest of the team. Just call a friend to come take him out and then ask for some bandages. Really helps alot!

teamworkfl1.png

the power of friends :wink:

However, there is other tips of course which can extend the time you stay alive with the flag.

rock1qm4.png

rock2iy1.png

These pictures show how you can abuse the rocks easily to avoid your opposition when there is perhaps one or two people following you.

map1bk0.png

If there is more than one person and in particular, a group, this method can prove extremely useful. Keep running laps round, using bandages to re-gain energy and heal yourself. You can also drop a barricade which is shown in the pictures above to give yourself the breathing space to go to the opponents castle and get more supplies.

base1qo1.png

base2dp7.png

base3rz2.png

This is a nice fun trick to do in a small games that is basically the most you can mess around with your opponent without dying. It involves dropping a cade as a barrier between yourself and the enemy while running to another area that will trap them. Keep doing that until you feel it is too unsafe to stay.[/hide]

[hide=5. What to do if you know your going to die]

If you know your going to die try to get it safe. This section shows various ways on how to get the flag safe at various locations around the map. Basically the flag goes safe if it has nowhere to drop to.

Recently, JaGex changed it so most of these safing methods such as the tap method do not work so I have removed them.

rocksbeforetr5.png

rocksafterbk2.png

this is the most common trick where if you die on rocks the flag goes safe. This is why most flag holders hold the flag on rocks.

bigdoor1gt9.png

If you run over the green line in the picture the flag goes "Safe". Although you may accidentally make it go safe while holding, it can be extremely useful to use when cornered.[/hide]

[hide=6. What to do if you lose the flag]

If you think you are going to die remember to do so on the rocks. If this happens the flag goes safe and as you respawn in the same castle as the flag you have another chance to get the flag.

Just repeat step 2. It takes time to get fluent with the tricks :wink: [/hide]

7. Credits

Tip.it - giving me information on the map of cwars

Runescape map - used for the original map

People who played cwars with me and are including in pictures - jimmyd17,comoroo and others.. sorry if you are not included especially people from the big ko picture which i seem to of lost :oops:

Unbeaten 1 - writing guide/ collecting pictures

Danqazmlp, Conan and Koddo1 - collecting pictures and data (thanks guys!)

Thanks all, hopefully this can go in AOW as a good guide :wink:

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice guide.

Its very fun to play with someone who knows what theyre doing once in a while. Mostly its lvl 40 newbs who try and get the flag before and then lose it 5 secs after :boohoo:

maybe people who didn't know how to play now can do so themselves :wink:

gladz.png

I like it! But i think u should put somethin about running down into the tunnals and exploding the rocks. Cus when i got our flag i usally kill 1 or 2 people in that. But good guide over all! I like the pictures too \'

I like it! But i think u should put somethin about running down into the tunnals and exploding the rocks. Cus when i got our flag i usally kill 1 or 2 people in that. But good guide over all! I like the pictures too \'

walltrapcb6.png

due to your request i abandoned my post on the rocks and ran to zammy base to do this..before no one knew where i was and after pic i had a hungry level 113 ancient after me :oops: still survived for rest of game though.

hope ya like!

gladz.png

found a picture to show how good it is when you play with friends..most of those people were tif members so even if they weren't on my friends list i could ask 1 friend to ask them :wink:

teamworkfl1.png

nice barraging scopy!

gladz.png

found a picture to show how good it is when you play with friends..most of those people were tif members so even if they weren't on my friends list i could ask 1 friend to ask them :wink:

teamworkfl1.png

nice barraging scopy!

Man.... I was in that game.... Too bad i was gittin the flag, so i want in the pic :wall:

teamworkfl1.png

nice barraging scopy!

Man.... I was in that game.... Too bad i was gittin the flag, so i want in the pic :wall:

better luck next time if you or i discover a new method :wink:

gladz.png

Nice guide, but taking the flag IMO ruins the fun of the game.

Its impossible to get it back when your team is unorganised and low lvl like it usually is.

catching the flag holder is simple enough providing they aren't fully prepared with a nice invent and a friend at hand to give bandages..with these tricks it makes it MUCH harder but it's still possible...especially if you have a decent ancient mage with you.

gladz.png

very nice guide, i would like to add that normally i get a tinder box just as a back up so that if i run out of expolsive potions i can still get through cades. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

preparation is the most important part of cwars so no i don't think people need a tinkerbox :P

\' good good good! =D>

I think this is AOW material

hopefully :D

gladz.png

See how you have that thing about the ladder underground? If you want to do it on your own side, just don't go up the ladder. Be on one side of the ladder, run to the other, and the person will get stuck for a second or two. Keep doing it. This is really the best thing you can do while under your own base. By the way this is probably the best thing to do in like w6 and stuff because under your own base is always the quietest spot and you should always be able to get a large team to defend you.

Oh and one more thing, rune pick axes can be really helpful, if you want to clog up a rocks thing, click repeatedly on the collapse rocks when they're already collapsed, and then click once when someone uncollapses them. You will continuously keep trying to collapse it without doing anything, even when it is collapsed. It's pretty tough to get through.

cwscore2.jpg