Converting Paint BMPs to GIFs and Making Transparencies

pokemama

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

If you wish to make pictures with transparent areas (such as Runescape items, or for the Bestiary, or whatever purpose), this post describes a method using the Imagemajick studios website http://redux.imagemagick.org/MagickStud ... Studio.cgi (please note that Tip.It does not officially recommend this site and, as with any website, use it at your own risk. However, I personally use it all the time.)

Items below in italics are *only* if you are also making the pic transparent.

Again, these instructions are for people using MSPaint or another simple program that cannot make high-quality transparent pictures.

1) Save the pic as a BMP. Use your paint tools to make the parts that you want transparent a good contrasting colour that is not used in the image, such as neon pink or neon green (don't use white). Crop your picture at least 1-pixel larger than the object for best results. Save the picture again.

2) Surf to the Imagemajick Studio website http://redux.imagemagick.org/MagickStud ... Studio.cgi and click the Browse button.

3) Find your cleaned BMP picture on your computer and hit enter.

4) Click the View button. You will now see a page with fourteen tabs at the top, and your cleaned BMP picture below.

• a) Scroll down to see the "Optional Paint Attributes".

B) In the Fuzz box, type 5999. Make sure to delete the % character.

c) In the Method box, click the down arrow and select "Floodfill". In the Paint Type box, click the down arrow and select "Matte".

d) Move your cursor over your picture - you will see that it turns into crosshairs ("+" sign). Click on the large area that you want to transparentize.

e) The page will reload showing you what you have done - the area should now look white. If you accidentally clicked in the wrong place, you can use your browser's Back button to go to the previous page and try again.

f) If there are additional spaces that need to be transparentized (such as a hole in the middle of an inventory object), click one, wait until the page is automatically updated, then click the next. If you make a mistake and click part of the image, just back up your browser to the last good picture.

g) When you have finished transparentizing your picture, go to the next step.

5) click the Output tab at the top of the page.

6) In the Format: box, scroll down to gif and select it. (Other output formats are available, but do *NOT* choose png - the Internet Explorer web browser will not show your image as transparent.)

7) Click the Output button below.

8) The display says "Click on any image to view or precede your click by the shift key to download it to your local area." If you view it, you can then right click it to save to your hard drive for upload to an image hosting site.

Now back to familiar waters. Upload your pic to an image hosting site (such as imageshack or photobucket or others). If you wish to post it in the forums, create your post and insert your image by pasting in the url provided by the hosting site, highlighting the whole url, and clicking the Img button in the posting interface.

I hope this helps those who wish to make transparent pictures but don't have fancy software.

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

alernativly whe in paint go to the little bow below where the title is click the down arrow and select .png from the very bottom...

as for transparency download a free program such as paint.net (some use gimp i personanly dont like it)

PJB21

sigpjb2101sigdy6.png

100% my own work, i make my own brushes: set 1 set 2

You are correct, except that older versions of paint don't have the PNG option. I tried GIMP and couldn't make heads or tails out of it - I couldn't even move the cursor. A bit too complicated for the graphically-challenged such as myself.

This guide really isn't intended for the regular users of this gallery, since most of you have nice programs and advanced artistic abilities. It's posted here because it's about pictures and thus doesn't belong elsewhere, lol.

Hopefully other forums will link to it so that software-deprived users will have a place to look. :D

If someone has step-by-step instructions for how to use paint.net or irfanview or whatever to do these things, I'd be absolutely delighted, especially if the process is simpler.

Wow, Pokemama, you actually mady your guide :D

I don't feel like making my own guide...

Gratz.

I usually use Imageshack, but sometimes (or often) it doesn't really work.

Does this site has the same upload-problems?

summersignature.png angel2w.gif

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"

[Currently playing: K1ll L1f3]

If you mean Imagemajick, it uploads a 400K BMP for conversion pretty quickly (it doesn't keep your pictures for very long - it's meant for you to download the finished product yourself).

If you mean photobucket, it probably has similar issues to imageshack. Only nice thing about photobucket is that your pics are in your very own album that you can revisit any time you want. I haven't used imageshack, but I hear of people losing links to their images? I wouldn't know, honestly.

• 1 year later...

you had to bump a 1,5 year old thread to ask how to make a signature #-o

-user control panel > profile > edit signature > and put the image there

you have to make your own signature/name banners though

legends2.jpg