Your guide to posting in Off-Topic!

Lionheart_0

To start off this thread I would like to give the obligatory video of Posting and You.

Now that THAT is out of the way, I would like to get onto my guide of posting in OT (Off topic).

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

So you are on TIF right? Want to post something that has NOTHING to do with Runescape? Well this is the place to do it: The Off Topic forums!

When posting, remember a few simple things:

• You have an opinion!
    Other people have opinions too!
    Be prepared to defend your opinions!
    Be prepared to take criticism from other, whether it be light or harsh.

USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!

OPINIONS

Now, why you might ask am I focusing on opinion? Well, opinion is one of the most over looked things when posting. Some people miss understand others when they say something as opinion, mistaking it for them stating a "fact". There are times when opinion is OKAY and UNAVOIDABLE. One does not need to state if something is of their opinion as other people should be assumed smart enough to see the difference between what is actually opinion and what is meant to be fact. Lastly, do not attempt to argue opinion to your grave. It will get you no where. The opinion of others is their own as yours is of your own, thus, just leave other people alone!

Criticism

We are all criticized. Period! Don't go crying if someone says you were stupid or if what you posted was stupid. It's the internet for goodness sake! Take everything with a grain of salt!

Trolls

EMO! Ya your post sucks! I made a little girl cry last night!

These are all phrases of a "troll". But not really. This is the normal misconception. In reality a troll MAY say these things, but really, a troll is just anyone who wants attention. It is just best to realize who a troll is and then ignore them. DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!

Self esteem/blog topics

You walk a fine line when making these kind of topics. If you focus on your self esteem or real life too much, you are just asking to be CRITICIZED! It may not be nice for people to criticize you based on your feelings and real life, but it will happen. What is the best thing to do? Treat them like trolls and ignore them. Although they do not want attention, they most likely think you are a troll and want attention. If you are a legit non troll, then feel safe in knowing that what they are doing is just trying to be mean. Do not retaliate back and just ignore them.

Negativity :(

"Bah! This sucks!", "It was ok, but probably won't work", ect. ect.

As my friend would say, you are all "Negative Ninnys!" Some times being negative is all it takes in order to make a post go down hill. Whether your post be through your own negativity in real life, or the negativity that you feel about something in the post, it doesn't matter! Try and be positive! Try and not let your negative feelings and emotions hinder your's and other's posting experience!

Current News

What can I say? I really don't want to hear about how Brittany Spears had her kids taken away, or how some sort of government treaty should be stopped. If you wish to use an article to start a discussion by showing perhaps a clip of the article, linking it, then starting on the reason for your discussion, then perhaps you might want to use an article. But until then, don't just copy and paste or give a link to an article... thats boring.

Scamming/Scam Bumps

So if you come looking through the forums, and realize, "OMFG, it's a runescape forums! Let post teh 1337 |-|@x!" Then I seriously hope you click the log off RL button. Yes this is a RS forums, yes there will be people you can scam into getting their accounts, but remember we also have crack team of mods here which have ban hammers at the ready, so think twice!

Now obviously scammers wont read that, but just encase they do, or if any of you have thought about it, DON'T! On this note, please do remember that there is one thing close to wanting people's accounts that these scammers want: PUBLICITY. Now wait... how am I giving them publicity, it's not like I want to? Simple! You bump their post with a "Don't post here!" post. So think twice before giving these scammers their publicity as it is just as bad as FEEDING TROLLS!

Behaving on the side lines (PMing)

Often times when a flame wars starts, either a mod or the better of the flaming users (Pun not intended you immature people), will suggest to take the war to the sidelines (or private message). This is a good idea, and I fully support it. Most times this helps to solve problems quickly, and then everyone gets along nicely.

The odd time though, people make things personal. Calling someone names will not get anyone anywhere, and will only result in a hate fest, a long with broken forum relationships. One would be wise to finish a debate either with compromise, or if it won't work out, just 'agree to disagree'.

Remember also, you can be reported for your PM's so keep them respectful and within tif rules!

This is all I have for now, I hope this helps and if you have any comments, questions, opinions, or criticism of this thread, will you kindly post it bellow or pm me. Thank you.

(Might be getting examples, depends on if my example maker hurries up..)

Project Offtopic shine and polish edit by Turtlefemm, July 17, 2008

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, this'll just get flamed and is not really needed. There will always be people like that, that's why we have mods. :D

But mods require outside work, which is ok, but if it is possible to stop people from posting in a bad way, it works better.

It's like having a condom available in stores, without teaching people how to use it.

Amusing, slightly..

Although legit is spelled L-e-g-i-t, not l-i-g-i-t

Rather too moddy for my taste, though..

Seven kittens out of ten.

Excellent, my spelling isn't the best so thanks for correcting it for me ::'

Now... to figure out how to be less moddy :P

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Yup it's a try but unfortunatly Trolls are everywhere.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Pretty pointless topic. Obviously no one is going to truly read this guide and try to make better posts going by your guide. Just an attempt at humor perhaps? It would be slightly funny, I suppose, if this wasn't so original =\.

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.

I LOVE that video! Especially where it goes like [happyvoice]Now you wouldn't want all the other kids laughing at you, now would you[/happyvoice]

*mutterinassholevoice*of course you wouldn't..

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

Ummmm I'm not sure what it would take, but does anyone want it stickied? Perhaps if enough of you feel that the "guide" is useful, I can talk to a mod about getting it stickied or something.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

The people this post is directed at will just ignore it. The rest of us already follow our own guidelines thats why it would be pointless to sticky.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Simpsons did it.

You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "(bleep) you" right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "(bleep) you."

The people this post is directed at will just ignore it. The rest of us already follow our own guidelines thats why it would be pointless to sticky.

If that is true, then we might as well ban every member of the forums because everyone, including me do all the bad stuff. No one is perfect.

There is no point in even living because we die anyways, so why have all these nice things around us and enjoy a life if all we do is die? Because we can and because it potentially can help.

Thus I made this thread.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

If that is true, then we might as well ban every member of the forums because everyone, including me do all the bad stuff. No one is perfect.

There is no point in even living because we die anyways, so why have all these nice things around us and enjoy a life if all we do is die? Because we can and because it potentially can help.

Thus I made this thread.

You made this thread on the back of that train of thought?

Hell, why didn't you become a doctor or something.

Thus I made this thread.

thus if everyone was posting correctly and nicely it would be one boring forum. \'

A friend to all is a friend to none.

I'd have to admit it, it's quite boring to read. Try to write it using shorter sentences, shorter paragraphs. Use parataxes instead of hypotaxes.

You might as well try to write it this way:

• [*:21i2rc4u]In points.

[*:21i2rc4u]Because it's easier to read.

[*:21i2rc4u]It's easier to get your point across.

[*:21i2rc4u]It's less boring.

Hmmkay?

Oh, by the way, the content itself was actually bright. Too bad that (most) of the readers won't need it, and the people who need it won't read it. Worth the try, anyway, I guess.

This signature is intentionally left blank.