Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Socrates's Content

There have been 110 items by Socrates (Search limited from 18-September 18)

Sort by                Order  

#4711357 2 billions in 2 days

Posted by Socrates on 05 February 2011 - 03:35 PM in Achievements (Drops, Bank Pictures and Levels)

Nice going, saw this thread on rsc too.
Which attack style do you use and do you switch?

#4694865 if you only lived once

Posted by Socrates on 25 January 2011 - 08:51 PM in Questionnaires

It would be awesome if there was some type of reward while you were in this hardcore mode.. perhaps 10x xp as compensation?

You wouldnt be able to switch your character between Hardcore and normal.

If this were the case, so many pures would go this route.

Interesting. :thumbup:

I don't think they would, pretty much no PKers would as far as my logical thought tells me. If you're putting yourself into a position whereby you face a serious risk of dying then it seems absolutely ridiculous to imagine a player opting in to losing their stats if and when they died.

#4684345 Market Discussion

Posted by Socrates on 19 January 2011 - 10:15 PM in General Discussion

Due to the existence of a Rares/3a/Spirit Shield topic, yet with no place to discuss general market sentiment it appears only logical to have a topic in where that it is encouraged as opposed to being somewhat off-topic.
Therefore this thread has been created with the purpose of discussing general fluctuations in the market whilst maintaining a certain degree of chivalry, that is by not infringing on manipulation rules and what have you.
The general thread should cover discussion as opposed to instruction which could lead to people trying to manipulate others through bad advice. Please note that any discussion towards Party hats/3a/Spirit Shields should belong on it's appropriate thread although, naturally, there will be some cross-over.

In order to get the ball rolling I will voice my predictions on the effects of returning free-trade/wilderness:

As we all know it doesn't take a degree in economics to work out that there will be an increase in people wishing to PK and as such that will increase demand for many items.
However the first distinction must be made between items that are consumed and those that are not. In the former case I would expect to see an increased equilibrium price in items that are consumed, such as sharks, runes, potions and arrows. This is because of their very nature in that once they are used they are more or less gone (with the slight exception that some arrows are returned).

However, with other items such as whips, barrows sets, amulets, dragon boots, etc, although there will be an initial price increase due to the increased demand, because these items are not lost as they are in the incumbent PvP system, price will gradually fall, note the price of whips before the PvP removal in 2007.

Furthermore, with the reduction of statuettes GP will enter the game at a slower rate, assuming that Jagex don't change/add anything, therefore decreasing inflation, hence making money worth slightly more. As a result I would expect to see raw items that are not directly related to the PvP system gradually falling in price, that said I would not expect it to be drastic, except in the first few days perhaps when a general focus moves towards PvP and away from current daily activities.

Naturally, it is hard to discuss a future update without an awful lot of knowledge over what the update will actually entail, however this isn't to be taken as gospel just my opinion on it.
What are your thoughts and have I got anything wrong or missed anything blatantly obvious?

Feel free to discuss any items in the market, with the aforementioned exception, and perhaps I and any others who wish to join in can help answer your questions.

#4673197 Tip.it P2P Hi-score List

Posted by Socrates on 12 January 2011 - 04:28 PM in General Discussion

What was your previous RuneScape name that you are listed under on the highscores?: Edtheripper
What is your current RuneScape display name?: Socrates
What Tip.it highscore list(s) are you currently added to?: P2P

#4672420 Death Rune Crash

Posted by Socrates on 12 January 2011 - 12:25 AM in General Discussion

Pretty much everything is falling in price.

Yeah, i'm wondering why this is really.

#4672414 General Aversion to Degradation

Posted by Socrates on 12 January 2011 - 12:21 AM in General Discussion

There appears to be two arguments as to why pepople don't really like it, perhaps three:

• People find it inconvenient to keep recharing
  • People think it's too expensive to keep recharging
    People have some weird OCD where they'd prefer not to use degraded armour

For the rest of us the pro's outweigh the cons for which I am thankful, as someone posted earlier, that there is less demand for the items so they're cheaper for the rest of us.

#4671034 Dung help

Posted by Socrates on 11 January 2011 - 12:37 AM in Help and Advice

Hey all,

Abritrarily decided to come back and play for a bit and get myself a rapier/longsword.

I am now 47 dung and have been researching the basics of dungeoneering and know what i'm doing to some extent.

I can now get up to floor 24 and am wondering what my best bet for exp/hour is. To what level should I rush and in a team and on what complexity?

I've found myself playing with people who clearly are worse than I am in terms of dungeoneering, is there any way to avoid playing with these morons? Any worlds/clans other than 117?

Cheers,
Ed :thumbsup:

#4652321 The return of staking??

Posted by Socrates on 28 December 2010 - 08:36 PM in General Discussion

So basically, those people who duelled for high stakes, both had a 50% chance to win? From what I get, there were fixed rules, and nobody would fight somebody with higher stats, you would have 2 armourless and weaponless people with 99 mage/def ice barraging each other. What makes you a good dueller then, when it all seems luck based (assuming both have max stats)

As far as I am aware what was important was who got the first hit. Also, in a mage duel using blood barrage may be useful but I never dabbled with that, preferring to box or dds/whip duel.

#4644420 final milestone, 9 years later.

Posted by Socrates on 22 December 2010 - 10:42 PM in Achievements (Drops, Bank Pictures and Levels)

IF you're hunting for an ely or divine, you should prolly talk to me again...

After you give me back my whip and guthans.

Ah dear, I remember this fiasco.

I remember coming to your 85 slayer party Sk8er before I changed my username I was Edtheripper, do you remember me?

#4545185 !Start <insert 6 years of scaping> !Stop

Posted by Socrates on 12 October 2010 - 12:06 PM in Achievements (Drops, Bank Pictures and Levels)

Hey Aneron,

Hugely respect your decision to quit. I myself got to Uni (college) in late September and haven't been on it since. Then again I don't have a lot of time on my hands at the moment.
I'll miss you, of course, should I come back, but I will miss interacting with you anyway.

I remember getting our 99's together, that was a real highlight of scaping for me, also i'd say it was the end of my imperial age. Like yourself after this point I found monotony kicked in, especially when I finished off slayer.

Ah well, good to speak to you. I'll browse TIF from time to time so feel free to message me.

Ed.

#4503373 I Killed Summer

Posted by Socrates on 13 September 2010 - 10:03 PM in Achievements (Drops, Bank Pictures and Levels)

Nice tan.

JK

Nice going, though, you did some cool stuff :D

#4503367 Finally completed my longest ever goal

Posted by Socrates on 13 September 2010 - 09:58 PM in Achievements (Drops, Bank Pictures and Levels)

Very nice work indeed, I do enjoy goals like this more than the "#6 99" that tend to occur often on these boards (I must say I do contribute to them).
42 whips is very nice, though.
How did you do for d chains, 2h, bass, swordies and tuna for your others?

#4498859 Decanting Super Energy potions (4) to (3)

Posted by Socrates on 10 September 2010 - 08:49 PM in Help and Advice

The herbalist in Nardah decant's (4) pots into (3) for 50gp per inventory.

Damn, I did not know that, very helpful!

#4463765 What to do next?

Posted by Socrates on 23 August 2010 - 08:52 AM in Help and Advice

Fishing nets you a nice amount of money.

Why do people always say this? No it doesn't. Just because something gives 100% profit doesn't mean it's a good moneymaker.

I never said it was a good moneymaker, I said it NETS you a decent amount. Most people who are going for 99 fishing come out with over 30m. It's not quick by any means, but I'd say that's a nice bonus to a 99. At the time, I didn't realize he was 98, so he won't get that much money, but you WILL get a decent profit. Again, notice the NET, not "good moneymaker" anywhere.

Well, nice, good, close enough...it still perpetuates the myth that fishing is a moneymaking skill, which is one of my pet peeves. :shame:

I'll go away now.

I personally just appreciated the pun :ohnoes:

#4463747 Using other players for your own benefit

Posted by Socrates on 23 August 2010 - 08:32 AM in General Discussion

There AREN'T entitled, but if someone is stupid enough to waste their time doing that for someone else, that's fine for me.

This

/endtopic

#4462464 I GOT IN TO UNIVERSITY

Posted by Socrates on 22 August 2010 - 10:54 PM in Off-Topic

Especially well done to the guy who is going to Manchester for PPE, you'll have lots of fun!

What makes you say such a thing? Did you go to UoM or something? Spill the beans..

#4459136 I GOT IN TO UNIVERSITY

Posted by Socrates on 21 August 2010 - 09:15 AM in Off-Topic

[quote name='Saruman44' timestamp='1282364280' post='4458852']
Ok, let me run this by you again... I may be thinking of something different. If you lets say want to be an engineer, and then decide to be a doctor. Do you still have to retake all those basic science 1 and math 1 etc classes over? Because that is a lot of money. Thats why I don't like it. Money is lost, and time is lost.
[/quote name='Saruman44' timestamp='1282323678' post='4457798']

Not quite, we only take classes that relate to our degree, we don't (in most cases) have minor subjects so you only attend lectures/tutorials that apply to your degree, therefore if you decide you no longer wish to do your degree you have to start again because your modules that you've done no longer apply.

A levels are used in the replacement of say Maths and Science minors so that universities can demand them so they're not needed to be repeated. In fact a friend of mine wished to move the the USA for college (american dream lulz) to become a doctor and because he was studying maths, biology and chemistry he hardly had to do any minors and they counted towards his degree before he even got there.

Hope this helps, I think it were a misunderstanding.

#4458122 I GOT IN TO UNIVERSITY

Posted by Socrates on 20 August 2010 - 08:21 PM in Off-Topic

COngrats at OP for not only getting into college, but for deciding (I'm assuming ofc) on a major.

FYI, we have to choose a major before we go to university over here in the UK aka we can't go undeclared and in fact if you don't get accepted for your subject then you don't get accepted at all.

Whaaaaa I'd hate that. I have a general idea, but I'm going to take some prelimary classes in each study to see which I like best. But you are allowed to change majors... right?

Technically, yes, but it's not really the done thing. You more or less just start again unless your degrees are similar.
I guess we slowly lead down into courses because we have to pick our 3/4/5 a levels which then tend to lead us into degrees as they are very often needed as prerequisites to courses.

#4455549 I GOT IN TO UNIVERSITY

Posted by Socrates on 19 August 2010 - 05:40 PM in Off-Topic

COngrats at OP for not only getting into college, but for deciding (I'm assuming ofc) on a major.

FYI, we have to choose a major before we go to university over here in the UK aka we can't go undeclared and in fact if you don't get accepted for your subject then you don't get accepted at all.

I feel like a foreigner in here.

"Why are people so excited about getting a C on a test? :-P "

Over here a C is actually not a bad result, granted the top flight universities wont take you with them preferring As or the newly added A*s. Basically a C in UK a levels is harder to obtain than a C in the US grading systems, or so I experience on an exchange trip in PA

I'm a bit curious, how does the university system work in the UK or where else? In the US we take our SATs or ACT our senior year of high school (yr 12 of school) send those to which ever schools we apply to along with a transcript and a month or two later receive a acceptance or denial letter.

Our Junior and Senior year are split from the rest and both count towards one final grade, your "A level". However, at the end of your junior year you're given an AS level, which is used by Uni's to predict how wel you will do and are then given offers based around these and other circumstances. You can hold five offers from varying univerisites, naturally varying in requirements.

You then short list two a "firm" and an "insurnace", typically one of which is lower so that if you miss your first requirement at the end of your senior year you can still go to university.

The OP recieved his grades (2 months after school finishes as exams are makred nationally by external bodies) which matched either his firm or his insurance and therefore he is given a place.

Therefore, in the UK in most circumstances our offers are conditional upon A2 results (the combined years) and so there's an awful lot of pressure.
Hope this has helped

Oh an congratulations OP I go into Manchester with A*AB today :)

#4455530 I GOT IN TO UNIVERSITY

Posted by Socrates on 19 August 2010 - 05:34 PM in Off-Topic

#4455002 I GOT IN TO UNIVERSITY

Posted by Socrates on 19 August 2010 - 01:32 PM in Off-Topic

A*AB got me into Manchester for PPE today :D

#4425383 DKS

Posted by Socrates on 04 August 2010 - 10:29 AM in Help and Advice

I have some questions about DKS.

1. Are my levels good enough to effectively do it?
2. If yes, is there some guide that I can use with my levels?

Yes, you could mage, you would be extremely likely to be crashed but it is still do-able.
Use BrainyMidget's guide in the AoW, i've been using it for years.

#4425331 Ranging?

Posted by Socrates on 04 August 2010 - 09:12 AM in Help and Advice

Broad bolts vs Aviansies in GWD.
Decent cash and not bad exp/hour either.
Thre are numerous guides to be gound about it on these forums. 8-)

#4424201 ENTER SHIKARI

Posted by Socrates on 03 August 2010 - 09:16 PM in Off-Topic

I once saw them for £2 with a flier at the Pioneer club in St. Albans near where they and I grew up.

#4421376 Future Update Discussions

Posted by Socrates on 02 August 2010 - 11:31 AM in General Discussion

Anyone else thinking we're going to have to compare the Meerkat?

All looks like good fun to me :D
Can't wait, will hopefully take me back to my camping hellhounds for clues days :D