Jump to content

MotherBrainII

Members
  • Content Count

    264
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by MotherBrainII


  1. I hope the stats in the video are placeholders, like the numbers we got on EoC teasers.

     

    Lunar rings have 12 armour, that's 65 magic and 40 defence. The cape has 18, the gloves and boots have 31, 125 helm, 138 legs, 144 top. If you divide those numbers by 6 and round, that's 2 for the ring, 3 for the cape, 5 for the boots and gloves, 21 for the helmet, 23 for the legs and 24 for the top.

     

    By that ratio, I think it'd be fair to give t85 rings about 500 / 12 = 41.6 armour rating, or 27.8 if hybrid. Incidentally this puts onyx rings at about level 77 (hybrid) or level 63 (single-style).

    For criticals, I'm not sure, but given that a level 70 arcane stream necklace has 4.9%, I'd say some 3.5% (single-style) or 3.3 or something for all styles.

     

    Small correction: ASN is a level 80 item now. The GWD amulets are the level 70 ones.

    • Like 1

  2. Such a stupid concept.

     

    Anyway, I hope I only have to participate a few days out of the six weeks, cuz I am going to be working 14 hour days every day except weekends... So, I want to be able to actually get the rewards :(

    You can get the first ability with 31k renown (only spending 21k of it, but you need an upgraded token which needs 31k), and you can get 30k per day which can easily be done in under an hour.


  3. You think the summoning update is bad? Wait until they decide that using your familiars should be first rate xp and they bump pouch making xp down to a lower rate. I would laugh at the complaints you have now compared to how people might feel then.

    Being better than a hypothetical ridiculously bad update doesn't make this one good.

     

    I wouldn't even mind that much if they'd said "we're nerfing summoning training, and this is why". But for some reason they've decided that this is a buff.


  4. You could already max out the festive aura in like 15 minutes just with green charms. I'll gladly have 3 less inventory spaces per trip if it means I don't have to spend ages preparing pouches for no reason. And the inventory wrangling has just been moved to the preparation step. And the saving time for the Festive Aura is only relevant for less than 10% of the year anyway -- for the rest of the year, this is unequivocally a nerf to summoning training, and a very significant one at that.

     

    An update to make summoning training easier would be to replace the new system with the old.


    • We've made a significant change to the way Summoning pouches are made. Now, pouches, shards, charms and tertiary ingredients can be combined anywhere to make uncharged pouches. You can then take these to an obelisk to render them usable, and to earn your Summoning XP. This will ease up much of the inventory wrangling once necessary to train and use this important skill.

    To train? How does this help train? All this means is that I now need to do loads of extra work at the bank that accomplishes essentially nothing. What was stopping them just making pouches stack and calling it a day?

     


  5. Thanks. I think the tone is a bit... aggressive for a Times article, though. If someone really wants to edit it and use the content in it to write an article, I give my permission for them to do so.

     

    On the subject of the lure itself, though, is there any way I can bring the video to JMod attention? The players involved are clearly named in it and it'd be nice for these jackwagons to get banned, not least to avoid anyone else falling prey... but also because I enjoy watching people who like to destroy others' work get an overdose of their own medicine.


  6. So yesterday I got lured. I won't give all the details unless anyone asks because it's not really relevant to the point I'm making, but suffice to say that it was a very sophisticated lure and the amount I lost was well beyond the scope of what I could ever recover from. It's pretty easy to find a video of it on Youtube and I'd bet that most of this site's users were in on it anyway given the sheer scale of it and how few players the game has in general now.

     

    I wasn't angry about it, though. It was partly my fault due to the specific circumstances. The overwhelming majority of the loss was gifted to me, so I don't feel I lost much work. And logging off when I did that day indirectly resulted in me getting a date with one of the nicest, funniest, most attractive women I've ever met. So instead of posting an angry rant about I lost all that stuff (which is why this isn't in the sticky), I'll post a few thoughts about how Jagex contributed. 

     

    I don't subscribe to the idea that people on the internet are innately [wagon] and that's all there is to it. Yes, there are [wagon], but some internet communities have a lot more of them than others. And while moderation and rules enforcement are part of this, I think there's more to it than that.

     

    Runescape as a game has always been innately competitive. The highscores encourage players to actively compete against each other. The existence of the Wilderness as a no-holds-barred cutthroat PVP fest is a big attraction to the sort of players who enjoy that sort of thing, and players increasing in power has essentially turned most high-level PVM into a form of indirect PVP aswell. The trade restrictions of the 2008-10 era minimised co-operative player interaction and set up an every-man-for-himself competition which caused the rapid growth of a laser-focused efficiency culture that had up to that point been almost nonexistent. From late 2009 onwards, most new content was aimed at high-level, established players, with new player influx being very minimal despite Jagex's efforts. So by the time the restrictions were lifted, this culture was so ingrained into players' minds that the reintroduction of free trade did absolutely nothing to mitigate this, and this causes a mutually elitist mindset where people feel almost obligated to take the game very seriously if they're going to play at all.

     

    The marketing of the game primarily at children has also been a major factor here, in my opinion. Most children have never had to work really hard for something, and so they rarely appreciate the value of time or effort -- and, by extension, don't appreciate the value that others place on these things. Results are often all that matters to them.

     

    Finally, the community as a whole has a very libertarian mindset, one where enforcement should be very hands-off to nonexistent and players should be given a lot of freedom and left to their own devices. One where each person is responsible for protecting themselves, with a very prevalent feeling that someone who fails to do so does not deserve to keep anything, that encyclopaedic knowledge of every last aspect of the game's mechanics is normal and expected, and that people clever enough to steal something deserve it in a "survival of the fittest" sense. One where high risk is glorified by stakers, fame is good almost regardless of the reason, and losing everything you have is just something that happens as a matter of course because of the game's exceptionally harsh death penalty and the need for top-tier equipment to do anything that earns respectable money. 

     

    This has all resulted in the game being highly attractive to sadistic players who deceive and harm others for profit, for fame or just because they enjoy it. People who necessitate measures like a bank PIN on the Well of Goodwill because their first thought on seeing something with that name is "how can I use this to make someone miserable?". People who take the game seriously enough and have enough repressed anger that they spend all day, every day coming up with ways to destroy others' work just for the glee of watching them get upset about it, with literally nothing else ever crossing the malevolent moral and intellectual voids that are their minds. People who systematically and deliberately drive away anyone who isn't like them to prove their imagined superiority.

     

    As for the game itself: I hope it continues its descent into irrelevance. Soon enough the only people playing it will be lurers, scammers and griefers anyway (to the extent that this is not already the case), and there are few things I enjoy more than seeing people whose sole purpose in life is to inflict petty miseries on others watch as the world of their own making crumbles around them and they're left as barely human shells containing nothing but newly-impotent hatred. And those who were driven out can look back and be grateful that they got on with their lives.

    • Like 3

  7. Also do we know now what shattered the blade in the first place? Is it mentioned somewhere specifically? It definitely didn't break/shatter when Guthix slew the big fellow (Skagaroth?) because he used it afterwards to travel to other worlds. It seems to me as if it would take something quite powerful to shatter one of the Elder Weapons.

     

    We don't know, but Guthix may have destroyed it himself to limit how powerful others could become with it. It seems like the sort of thing he would do.


  8. It'd also change the way bosses were designed if Jagex knew that death was a real consequence rather than a mild inconvenience.

     

    There's a flip side to this: having death be a less severe penalty has also changed the way bosses were designed, allowing them to be made more challenging. If the Kalphite King were put in place as-is with no gravestones, how many people do you think would bother fighting it?

     

    I agree with the armour degradation thing though. Dying with Nex or Barrows armour should IMO cause it to fully degrade, whether it is kept on death or not. The fact that nex gear no longer breaks on death even if dropped, which I assume is a bug, doesn't help matters at all.


  9. Nah. They're the reason I feel comfortable using high level gear to play high level content, rather than plinking at Nex with royal dragonhide and Zanik's crossbow in case my internet plays up for five seconds. (EDIT: Although this is admittedly a less elegant solution than either lessening the penalty for death or making boss encounters like the Kalphite King proper safe areas.)

     

    I do think the game needs an item sink, though, and to some extent wish PVP still acted as one.


  10. This is pretty much a response to the first post, so sorry if it's not on current-topic.

     

    I really want to see lower-level gear able to be upgraded into higher-level gear via methods achievable with the lower-level gear. For a very specific example, I'd like to see, say, the QBD's Dragonbone Kits actually upgrade the stats of Dragon or Royal Dragonhide to something worth using at the levels required. For another, I'd like to see Nex and POP gear required for the creation of level 90 gear. As in, you would have to sacrifice both Torva and Tetsu (and Steadfasts and Pneumatics) for level 90 melee gear, rather than it just being dropped by some new really-hard-to-kill-until-exploit boss monster.

    What I absolutely hate is that so many items require a much higher level to obtain them than you would possibly use them at (granite and dragon!), and things like Chaotics, which take so much time and effort to get are hardly factored into the equation of obtaining their replacers. If it had been up to me, I would have had the KK drop only UPGRADE pieces, intended to bring Chaotic weapons up to level 90, so that all that previous work spent obtaining them wasn't rendered entirely meaningless. I'm not saying I would rather have people use a Bronze Longsword, constantly upgrading, eventually to a Drygore Longsword, though. I just think that no "difficult to get" gear should be rendered completely worthless at higher levels.

     

    Seems like a fault of the reward design with Dungeoneering to me. They've backed themselves into a corner where their only two options are:-

     

    1) Make 80 dungeoneering a requirement for every good item that will ever be released into the future.

    2) Make Dungeoneering dead content when the equipment is eventually obviated.

     

    If and when player-owned-ports armour is supplanted, that will likely have the same problem -- I don't want to see spending four months (or however much it is; I'm just going by what i've been told ingame and I'm sure some hyperpedantic [wagon] will go ape at me, like usual on TIF, if I don't qualify this statement) playing that minigame becoming a gateway to all high-level content, but it's too popular in its own right for me to like the idea of it being worthless. I think this may be a reason why Jagex often shies away from making high level stuff untradable: tradable gear has the potential to become relevant to lower levels than the people it was originally aimed at, whereas untradable gear often doesn't. And it's much harder to keep this sort of thing dynamic in cases like Dungeoneering where the amount of effort to get the untradables exists in a single linear scale that can never change short of direct nerfs/buffs to the content.


  11. no items took 1000 hours to get

     

    To clarify, I was referring to pre-EoC (the point being held up as ideal, from what I can see), where a full set of either Torva or Pernix and a Divine would set you back well over a billion and there were almost no moneymakers that would consistently earn more than about a million and a half per hour. For someone without the stats or gear to consistently Nex, accessing Nex/Divine sets back then would definitely take you over 1000 hours unless you were already rich (and back then 100m wasn't "rich" but you were certainly reasonably well-off).


  12. Expensive top tier items are good because it gives people something to work for

     

    Only if they can realistically work for it. If the top tier stuff takes over 1000 hours of grinding to obtain, IMO it's not laziness if I don't want to do it.


  13. I was talking about this with some people in my clan and this is what we would like to see.

     

    Pure games of chance:

     

    Less then 1m bet, 40 % chance to double your money 60% to lose your bet

    1m - 10m, 37% chance to double, 63% chance to lose

    10m-100m 35% chance to double, 65% chance to lose

    100m+ 20% chance to triple, 80% chance to lose

     

     

    I think a system like this would work well for risk versus reward and still remove money from the game. Not sure how tripling effects things because techincally you can lose twice before you don't make anything, IE Bet 100m lose, bet 100m lose, bet 100m win, get 300m back, earning 100m profit. Might need to rebalance that.

     

    Games of skill, IE poker, black jack, etc with a smart AI, personal win %ages recorded so that people with 80%+ win percentages pay a higher take to the house. IE <80% wins 10% of winnings stays in the house, >80% wins 20% of winnings stays with house. Obviously these percentages would need to be adjusted/calculated/possibly on a curve, for things to balance out.

     

     

    Seems like if they did it right this could be a really good money sink.

     

    Your odds are not long enough to be a money sink.

     

    60:40 with double pay out on under 1m.

    Let's take 100 1m bets, assuming perfect average win:lose ratio.

    That's 60m eaten by the loses.

    80m produced from the wins.

    +20m in economy.

     

    40m *produced* by the wins. The other 40m was already there as part of the input. Quyneax is correct.

     

    The amount eaten by the game in each instance should be exactly the same as what the host wins in the current games. If you were right, you could use the exact same logic to prove that hosting creates a massive loss for the host, which is obviously not the case.


  14. The problem is not monster hunting being a fundamental source of wealth. The problem is that apart of staking/gambling it's the only reasonable one. In other words - we need skilling ALTERNATIVES (not top money makers but at least being on par with monster hunting)

    I think jagex made the decision for us that skills are only to support otherwise combat based activities. I'd have nothing against skilling becoming an alternative to monster hunting, but i just can't see such a radical shift in jagex thinking.

     

    Has this ever not been the case? Has there ever been content which was highly profitable with no real combat relevance?

     

    The issue here is two-fold: the nature of the game means that any high-end, challenging content needs to be combat-based, and that the changes made by EoC have made the majority of skilling output worthless compared. Fletching no longer has massive demand for bows because alching is falling out of favour as a method of training magic and the most popular ammunition choices are obtained exclusively by drops from level 200+ monsters. Hunter produces essentially no output worth using. And so on.


  15. Considering that WOW is and has for a long time been the industry leader in MMOs -- because its style is popular -- I'm not sure how calling something even a "lite" version of it is meant to reflect badly on a game by comparison to a six-year-old game which will probably never be updated in any significant way.

    • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.