kiwi_pearls

Posts Delivered to Email

I've suggested this somewhere else here :-$ and have decided to place it in the appropriate forum so that it might be considered.

I would love the option of having posts delivered to my email, I use outlook express and would like to sort the posts I have watched using my message rules. Or have the ability to watch a whole forum/subforum.

I found this module for phpbb, that does everything for you, it will just act like a plugin and is easily integratable.

http://www.mail2forum.com/wiki/Introduction

Look forward to this becoming a TIF feature one day in the near future..hehehe (if you need assistance in any way just message me as I am a Web Developer)

member=Iwik.pngmember=Pearls.png

"In the real world as in dreams, nothing is quite what it seems" - The Book of Counted Sorrows

That sounds pretty neat, actually. :) Do you know if it is very strenuous on the server?

sithbridgeay2.jpg

Good Question. I don't know how strenous it would be on the server. Already TIF uses emails to alert us to new posts we are watching.

Also, with PHP scripts and CMS scripts such as Postnuke, I have never noticed any problems with emails automatically been generated and sent out to users/members. Nor a strain on the servers. But my servers were remotely hosted servers and not my own personal servers. I don't know what TIF/TIP setup is, or if they have unlimited traffic/bandwidth as part of their hosting.

"In the real world as in dreams, nothing is quite what it seems" - The Book of Counted Sorrows

There is no such thing as unlimited traffic/bandwidth. Anyone that sells you a package with that is scamming you and overselling their server.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Nice Idea, though I wouldn't use it and wouldn't be sure if a lot of people would use it even if it became a feature for the TIF.

You have got to be kidding me o.O Tip.It would be so much better of if they just installed an rss feed mod instead if you ask me, sending mass emails like this would be a killer for the servers and the bandwidth :s From my experience on the staff for over 3ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâý years, i'd say that they'll hardly outsource anything, but rather keep it under their control (we all remember ScapeBoard, eh?)

There is no such thing as unlimited traffic/bandwidth. Anyone that sells you a package with that is scamming you and overselling their server.

Well I don't know where you get your information from. But here in New Zealand webhosting with unlimited bandwidth/traffic is fairly cheap compared to the packages that charge per MB over that. England must charge outrageously.

Like I said in my post, I don't know what TIF/TIP hosting plan is, and they may have one like this, or they may have one that they never reach their traffic quota. In cases where traffic comes above the allowed usage, most web hosting companies will give extra webspace which gives extra traffic/bandwidth if it works out cheaper to do so for their customers, than paying per MB, that could in fact work out more.

I have done this in the past, for good customer and public relations.

You have got to be kidding me o.O Tip.It would be so much better of if they just installed an rss feed mod instead if you ask me, sending mass emails like this would be a killer for the servers and the bandwidth :s From my experience on the staff for over 3ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâý years, i'd say that they'll hardly outsource anything, but rather keep it under their control (we all remember ScapeBoard, eh?)

A RSS is totally different to receiving forum posts that we are watching to our emails.

The Mail2Forum software is a plug-in module for the phpbb that they currently use which is free software. Most PHP software available online is opensource. So the functionality of any php software can be modified inhouse by the people whom use it..in this instance TiF. There is no outsourcing, don't really know what you mean by that comment.

Installation is very easy. And it is free.

Currently they already send email alerts to our email boxes telling us that there is a new post for the topic we are watching. So really, instead of sending this, in my opinion, useless email, the content in the body of the email would be the post its self...allowing me to reply to the post straight from my email program. So I don't think there would be any noticeable difference to the email server load at all. Considering, that mainly only people who like watching topics would be the current users that would use this email subscription service. But that could expand, to people who may want to use it also, in the future.

Also, the Mail2Forum email subscription service can be set up to only work on the forums(sub-forums) that the administrators choose for it to work on and not the whole entire forum. So it could maybe be used for one sub-forum if they choose to implement it or the whole lot.

Therefore, if they choose to trial it, they could see how it works just by testing it on one forum only.

I don't mean to cause offence or hurt you kiwi_pearls, but its clear that you have no idea how to run a site as large as Tip It and are naive about web hosts in general.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Jeppe's 'outsourcing' comment is most likely referring to the fact that Tip.It writes most of their own code instead of just copying and pasting mods or using other pre-written systems.

Next, there is no such thing as 'unlimited' bandwidth. Period. Even paying hundreds of dollars a month for an unmetered link, you're still limited by the capacity of the pipe. If you aren't paying a couple hundred a month for that unmetered link, you can bet good money that the host will cut you off if you use too much of that 'unlimited' plan because its costing them money in bandwidth you didn't pay for.

Overall, I see no use in this. There's a good chance most of the forum doesn't either. Albosky and the other coders already have enough programming on their hands that something like this is a rather large waste of time. :?

To be honest i don't even see it as a programmer-time-issue cruiser, the sheer amount of CPU and bandwidth that would be required for something like this, for so little gain, would be ridiculous - It would be a total waste of time to even consider coding/installing it on a forum as large as TIF, unless Albo gets the money to either upgrade the tip.it mail server, or get an additional one, which, again, would be a lot of money for very little gain :(

Why does everything on all these forums seem to turn into a slagging contest when someone posts an opinion. No wonder I stick to my other forum.

My suggestion was for the TIF crew/administrators. Not for the general public.

Not for anyone to slag off my profession. Which I have made a career out of for the last 15 years. But i guess it's the "mine is bigger than your's" mentality.

Off course the unlimited bandwidth is limited to the data capacity of the line. I am referring to the cost of the bandwidth and that there is no additional charges for the user. It is the same with broadband. Many ISP's offer unlimited bandwidth as fast as your line allows and offer a set price for that (no additional charges and no reduction in speed).

I am referring to the traffic bandwidth and not the speed. And if you shop around, there are many web hosters that allow for unlimited traffic and are not at all inexpensive.

But that is not the issue here.

I've explained this in layman terms as possible, that it is just an improvement of the watched topic email alert we already get delivered to our email box.

If any of the administrators are reading this they can see my suggestion which I will be re-posting in another forum.

The phpbb that they already use (I think I've stated this) for the forum side of TIP, which is a separate opensource program that they use in conjunction with their main site, which may well be coded just by TIP, is exactly like te mod for Mail2Forum, which is all ready written and coded, just like the phpbb forum they already utilise, and it is ready to install and would take an admin less than 5 minutes.

I've already stated, to test the functionality of this mod, they could test it on just one forum. For example they may like to test it on their admin forum.

Why does everything on all these forums seem to turn into a slagging contest when someone posts an opinion. No wonder I stick to my other forum.

Because you apparently think just because you posted it that it should automatically be installed.

My suggestion was for the TIF crew/administrators. Not for the general public.

This is a public forum. If you didn't want public input, you shouldn't have posted it here. Get over it.

Not for anyone to slag off my profession. Which I have made a career out of for the last 15 years. But i guess it's the "mine is bigger than your's" mentality.

Good for you. It's nice to have a stable career. It still doesn't mean you know how it will effect the bandwidth usage, stability and load on Tip.It's infrastructure.

This mod will be rarely used by the majority of this forum. You, are not the majority of this forum and therefore make the time and effort installing, testing, configuring and maintaining this mod a waste of time. Just because you suggest it does not mean it will be installed. There are much more important things to be done than you being able to reply to topics from your inbox instead of navigating to the thread.

I don't really see the point of something like this. Why wouldn't you just click on the link from the "Watch Post" feature and reply there?

Without going into the specifics of this idea I want to make a comment (and this applies equally for any topic in this forum.)

A few admins, myself included, are really disgusted by the attitude people have shown in this and other topics on this board. I happen to know Kiwi along with some of the people who have replied to her. I never got anything more out of this topic than a suggestion. Yeah a suggestion in the Forum Suggestions Board, go figure. I didn't see her mandate anyone to do it nor did she assume she knows the intricacies of sites this large, but I guess that doesn't matter to most.

It doesn't matter whether this can or can't be done honestly. The bigger problem here is tact and the need for some to troll this board. Everyone can take what they want from my post and apply it to themselves as needed since it isn't a blanket statement for all.

User input is a great part of this board and usually appreciated but there's no reason to pounce on someone, especially when no one who represents this site has commented. All we're asking for is constructive criticism without the malice we see around here sometimes.

I'm locking this since this is now being taken care of elsewhere.

tallest.jpeg

571st to 99 Fm Nov. 4 '06 - 315th to 99 Crafting Mar. 3 '07 - 3410th to 99 Fishing Sept. 18 '07

26378th to 99 Cooking Oct. 16 '07 -.- 99 Thieving Dec. 29 '07 - 1343rd to 99 Farming June 5 '08

1807th to 99 Agility Nov. 8 '08 - 3094th to 99 Smithing Feb. 14 '09

2012 total - 91 combat