Anti-More ftp bankspace thread!

lauren1211

Wow, can't believe we got Hot Topic! Thanks to everyone who posted (both before and after we got Hot Topic) and to Misplacedme!

quick summary in case you're too lazy to read the entire thread (i can't blame you, it's really long now):

[hide]1. Bank space is meant to be restricting - even on members worlds.

2. Jagex is a company, there is no incentive for them to give ftp more bank space as it will likely make ftpers more complacent and less likely to upgrade to members.

3. Just pay 5 bucks, it's not a lot.

4. The appropriately named "give them a penny and they want a dime" factor.

5. There is, in fact, enough bank space for ftp to store all necessary items. the only people who have problems are pack rats who try to save everything.[/hide]

Ok. So. I'm sure this is going to be incredibly controversial (please please please don't flame), but I wanted to compile all the arguments I find about why ftpers shouldn't get more bank space. Note that I will NOT be using the old "they don't pay, they don't get updates" argument. That is bull. Here's what I will be doing: Making a list and commenting on which I like and which I don't like. I want to make this clear: I do believe that ftp should get a little more bank space. But there are lots of people who don't, and this thread is for them.

My opinion, which I posted on Prankster King's thread.

just so you know guys, bank space is meant to be restricting. even in members worlds, i might add. if you ever had enoguh time to add up all the different members items - probably in the 10s of thousands, and how much bank space we have, then you'll see the proportion of items to bank space is probably equal or even greater than in free to play.

and by the way, where did you get this statistic?

Now that you know the three types of Runescape citizens and what they have to store, I want you to think about this. 98% of the F2Pers in Runescape are all three at the same time.

This has probably been asked before, because this is a very unlikely statistic (most pkers, for example, are not skillers as well and vice versa). I'd be willing to wager that maybe 65 or 70 percent of runescape's ftp population is all three of those things, or is at least two of them (when i was ftp, i got obsessed with pking for a while and did nothing else, then went back to skilling and merchanting the stuff i got from my skilling). Also, when you're listing all the stuff the three classes of citizens have, you forget that if someone is a pker, skiller, and merchanter, they're going to merchant the stuff they pk and get from skilling, so those items are the same, not new. you can't put raw materials in the items for skillers and merchanters, then double count it if someone's a skiller and merchanter.

All in all, i do support. you make a convincing argument, and as i have a very high level ftp pure who's running out of bank space as well, i see the need. if 12 bank spaces would sate you for the next few years worth of ftp updates (that's not that many - like 3 a year) then i see no reason why jagex wouldn't give it to you other than their increasingly lame "you don't pay so you don't get updates" argument.

Someone else's badly thought out opinion, at least i think so.

ok look

F2P'ers will become members if tehre enjoying the game or if tehre bored and annoyed. but its easier for Jagex to get members that are fustrated and annoyed cause thewy dotn need to put updates in and all..

once you start playing the game your level 3. by the tiem your about lvl 55 combat you should have doen all teh F2P quest and done most of the things F2p has to offer. at that point you start to get bored and want to become a member.

if your enjoying the game its going to delay your membership. your not going to want to be a member as much as you wanted when you were bored.

This one's concise... and also written by Dalcyte, who many of you probably know. Well reasoned, and i agree that 5$ a month isn't very much at all, but I didn't put that in my argument because a lot of people disagree and i didn't want people flaming me.

:roll: ...u can destroy holiday items, if u want one just pick it up again...there needs to be maybe 5 extra spaces for random event items, but thats all u need. Just pay the frickin 5 bucks...

Here's another moderately decent argument... jagex certainly is a company that is motivated by profit. not sure that i agree that members would be pissed off if ftpers got bank space (it doesn't affect the ptpers at all) but still a decent argument.

jagex is a company and it needs moeny, that's why they make f2p bank smaller so f2per will buy p2p and they get money. but do they get ny moeny if u get more bank space? no! and i'm sure lots of members will be really pissed off. im f2p right now, and i i don't have enough bank space, but i know this will NEVER happn. NEVER.

was scrolling through and found this... botanreaper is a friend of mine who was in the same clan as me for a while, a great and smart person, and i respect her very much. this argument is well thought out, but is basically a copy of a lot of other arguments. i'll post it anyways though, because i don't think i've posted it yet.

i do not think we should get more bankspace, i am a level 71 f2p and i only needed more bankspace once. bankspace is one of the enticing factors to get people to go members, if they gave us more bankspace then they would get less members.

the reason that members have more bankspace is cause they have tons more items it is the same reason that they have more friends list space cause thier is more stuff to do with friends on p2p then f2p.

if you have played f2p that long jagex is not going to make an update for you to stay f2p they want all members and f2p is for lower levels to explore the game.

a good solution though would be a shop so you can get your mime zombie letherhosen back if you have optained them diango perhaps.

i have about 7 more slots left so i think f2p has plenty of bankspace enough to manage the available f2p items.

ah. here's something i didn't think of. bravo, heart_of_ink.

Just having 12 more spaces can't hurt. Even though it may take up a bit more server space, the only real problem with this is the "Give them a penny and they want a dime" factor. If Jagex adds more bank space, F2Pers will just want more and more as more items come out.

BAD. and BADly thought out. this is not an argument, it's a temper tantrum. i do not support this one.

I dont think F2P should get another single update, i dont care if its a simple peice of random event armor, or another small mini game, or 1 extra slot in their bank.

Why?

because ive been paying for this game since members was first released.

What updates do i get at my lvl? that are specific to my lvl. There is not one item, not one place, nothing that someone 120 combat or higher can get. Without having someone under 60 combat getting it as well.

I will boycott RS if F2P gets even one more update before P2P high lvls get one.

here's another badly thought out argument (in my opinion). and also, i'm not sure where he got that quote from jagex.

please tell me, why do you tihnk you deserve this new bankspace? what have you done finacialy to support jagexs database so that this may be possible? And dont give me the "we see the ads and we generate money" becuase that was a lie and Jagex has said that the ads alone do not provide enough funds for the very greedy and demanding f2ps.

another very common opinion, but worded a lot better than most.

I'm f2p, and yes i'd like extra bank space as much as anyone else posting on the forum.

But I need to give you a bit of realism- what will jagex get from giving 8 extra spaces in the bank?

1)Can a single person say that they would stop playing jagex because they have 8 too few bank spaces?

-----They're not losing people looking at ads

2)Would you not recommend rs to a friend just because of bank space?

-----They're not losing new recruits

3)Losing an incentive to go p2p- I know very few people would become p2p just for bank space but it inevitably effects the decision. And if jagex said yes to all these small changes which have petitions on various fansites then that would add up to a massive change. And changing one thing sets a precedent for other changes.

In conclusion, jagex have no reason to do it. I'd love it if they did but i'll bet 1,000,000 gp with anyone that it won't be done in the next year

well thought out but pretty much a copy of some other arguments i already have up here... i want to credit foraster though, so

i don't think f2p needs any more bank space. but there is one situation which i believe should get the f2p more bank space.

this is the situation which i was put through:

1) i became member.

2) after training for awhile i did a few quests.

3) got bored and cancelled my subsciption

4) i came back to find my bank full.

5) no problem, i take away all my members only stuff and dropped it.

The result? STILL no bank space :evil: :wall: . if this happens i blieve it is ok for the f2p have more bank space.

Of course, if this occurs, then everyone will become a member, get thousands of f2p stuff and shove it all in thier bank.

The following quote was private messaged to me by a person who asked to remain anonymous. I haven't confirmed it yet but he claims that this is a direct quote from Jagex. This doesn't directly address ftp bank space but it may clear up a lot of the confusion going on in this thread over whether or not Jagex makes money off of ftp.

With the free version, we basically break even, but of course this version is very important to us as it brings in new players and introduces more people to the game.

That quote was confirmed here:

Just confirming that this is indeed a direct jagex quote, I remember this perfectly and I think they posted it in the 1.000.000 member notification.

This was in response to someone saying that jagex wouldnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t give ftp bank space because they already made plenty of money off of ftp.

No, Jagex didn't do fine [profit-wise with ftp] which is exactly why they made members. Now, I am f2p. But f2p does not need more bank space. If we ask for some now and Jagex give it so us then we are just going to keep asking for more updates. The simple fact is we don't pay. Us f2pers are lucky to have a free game at that!

here's another good idea that i've seen a couple of times but decided to actually post now. this is kinda of a matter of opinion as to whether or not ftp has enough space for the necessary items, but i've seen a lot of ftpers posting on this thread claiming they have one or one and a half rows left and they keep all the necessary items, including random event stuff.

im ftp and i agree that we dont need more bank space. ppl who say they need more bank space are usually stupid noobs who keep like, freakin 1 of every log and ore and holiday item, then start whining that they cant hold their 1 of every single talisman or piece of armor(sry to merchanters, i know sum ppl who merchant bars/ores and only they have an appropriate reason as to why they need more space, even then, i dont hear them complaining)

This one here isn't ENTIRELY on topic, but the author is right in saying that a lot of people are wishing Diango could store random event stuff. He's also right in his prediction, I believe - something PTP got so recently isn't likely to be replaced.

Firstly, a few people are saying how it would be good if Diango could store the random event costumes. Sorry, but I don't see that happening any time soon - members have only recently been given the costume room in the POH, which stores random event costumes. Since Jagex have recently addressed the problem (for p2p at least), I can't see them making a new way to store random event costumes. The random event costume section of the costume room would essentially become obselete, and I'm fairly sure that Jagex don't like to totally revise ideas they have had.

the following is an opinion far too many members have. it's unfortunate that ptp can't just be happy for ftp to get updates - instead they resent them.

Well, I for one am anti-f2p bankspace. I don't get a power-trip from saying that, either. I am paying $5 a month of my own money for extra things, one of those things being bank space. If f2p got more, then wouldn't it have been a waste of my money? I think so.

I will be updating this with more opinions as I find time.

I repeat: supporters of more ftp bank space, please do not flame.

Quick Guide to Conserving Bank Space in FTP

1. Items like chisels, hammers, and pots can easily be bought from a general store when you need them. Additionally, cheap skill items like harpoons or crafting moulds can also be bought easily at their respective stores. If you have extra space, feel free to keep skill items. But there's no reason to save items that can easily be re-bought at a general store.

2. Don't keep raw materials in your bank! There's no reason to waste two spots to have both raw lobsters and cooked lobsters, or to waste a spot with those 2k yew logs you keep meaning to get around to burning. Cook them! Burn them! Sell them if you have to (or if you're a merchanter)! But don't just keep them!

3. Holiday items can be destroyed and retrieved at any time from Diango in the Draynor Village Market for free - don't keep them in your bank. If you particularly like random event clothing you can keep them (one exception - make sure you use all your frog tokens, no need to use four spaces for mask, prince top, prince bottom, and tokens). Personally, all I keep is the camo top (which I like a lot) and the mime mask and boots.

4. Don't save quest items. This is pretty self-explanatory.

5. Don't save stuff you don't use. This is also pretty self-explanatory, but to be a little more specific - if you have (t) or (g) armor that you never wear (like black (t) or (g) if you have high enough defence so that you always wear your rune), sell it.

6. If you were previously a member, don't keep member's stuff (or give it to a member's friend to hold on to)! When I quit members, I had a dragon skirt, dragon halberd, and about 500 prayer potions that I gave to a friend to sell for me, telling him he could keep %10 of the profits.

That's pretty much it. If you feel your bank is too full, follow these guidelines and you should be able to free up some space.

has anyone considered the possibility that lauren1211 is homosexual? anyone, anyone at all?

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem that I foresee is that f2pers will complain, due to random event items and rares. If there was a way to store random event items, there would be less of a problem. Also, the rares that some people have a taking up a lot of room, so they will want more room to compensate for that.

tankmz6.jpg

well personally i throw out almost all of my random event stuff except what i like... the black mime boots are the only black boots, so i keep those. i turned all my frog tokens into masks, so they only take up one spot... threw out my forester stuff, etc.

however, a place for ftpers who like the random event stuff to store it is a good idea. thanks for the constructive critisicm.

has anyone considered the possibility that lauren1211 is homosexual? anyone, anyone at all?

while i value your opinion, i am pretty sure that an overwhelming majority of ftpers have bank space problems. thanks for posting, though.

Well Im F2P and never had problems with bank space shortage, in fact I have many empty rows in bank.

Id much rather have them add skill capes to F2P then bank space...

Indeed.

-----

I for one have had problems with bank space. If it weren't for random events taking up space (I would prefer not dropping them.) then my problem would be solved.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

hm well then perhaps it's worthwhile to petition jagex simply to do that rather than ask them to create more bank space... maybe if this thread gets big enough we can get prankster king to suggest it on his threa.

I agree totally which brings me to the conclusion

Many moons ago millions of chickens roamed this land.... Then along came a colonel... And wiped them out...

Ok i know that was totally random but anyway f2p should become p2p because its 1.not that much money 2. safe and secure

So you think about that

Join The Forgotten Ones, a level 90+ ptp clan here:http://z6.invisionfree.com/Theforgottenones/index.php?

thanks for the support raven.

siggy time!

10a9170fde.gif

[url=http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=652851][img=http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/10a9170fde.gif][/url]

Well Im F2P and never had problems with bank space shortage, in fact I have many empty rows in bank.

Id much rather have them add skill capes to F2P then bank space...

yeah me too but another thing is JaGeX make another more 4 space just to complete a row so we would have more space and not too much so members don't get angry

And about skill cape thats another thing that we could discuss but later

blackmhween06,Zurutius.gif

My stats

siggymv6.png

Quited RuneScape-17 July 2007, Still fighting for f2p rights

I won't mind if those one and a halve row after the first page was removed. Then it looks even better just 1 page. Its alot better then member banks, 4 pages :o its hugely chaotic.

conplaatje3vl9.png

i don't think f2p needs any more bank space. but there is one situation which i believe should get the f2p more bank space.

this is the situation which i was put through:

1) i became member.

2) after training for awhile i did a few quests.

3) got bored and cancelled my subsciption

4) i came back to find my bank full.

5) no problem, i take away all my members only stuff and dropped it.

The result? STILL no bank space :evil: :wall: . if this happens i blieve it is ok for the f2p have more bank space.

Of course, if this occurs, then everyone will become a member, get thousands of f2p stuff and shove it all in thier bank.

~idea summary~

when cancelling a subsciption from members, the amount of f2p stuff in the bank, is the new full bank number.

People seems to think that the world is meant to be all fair and square where "All men are created equal". Guess what? In a worldly perspective, it's not. And never was it meant to be. Personally, I think if people just clean their banks a bit, they can fit everything in okay. And even if you could not, well, too bad. Who said the world was fair? Rich guys get richer and poor guys get poorer. Live with it, or die - that is the only way out if you are so desperate to escape reality.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

The "They dont pay, they dont get updates" isn't bull, its a fact of life. its the same in real life.

Exactly. If I'm in a restaurant with no money, they won't give me a free meal just on the grounds that "Hey, I got that free refill the last time I was here. I deserve it because I can't afford it!"

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

The "They dont pay, they dont get updates" isn't bull, its a fact of life. its the same in real life.

Exactly. If I'm in a restaurant with no money, they won't give me a free meal just on the grounds that "Hey, I got that free refill the last time I was here. I deserve it because I can't afford it!"

Exactly its the same thing! its like asking for free stuff in the real world

What a nice and peaceful discussion. Come, let us all agree and live happily ever after.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

Yay!

*Skips through the forest, humming the theme tune to the magic roundabout*

*See's a F2P, struggling to fit all his stuff into a tiny bank*

*Grins, and skips past*

Happyland!

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

hey everyone!

thanks for the suggestions - i'll add them into the main post as soon as i get time.

as for getting limitless space, if you read my argument (first one in the first post) i mention that bank space is meant to be restricting to make the game just a little more difficult. plus it would take up a lot of bandwidth ( i assume, i don't know much about programming in java but storing all those items would take up a lot of... whatever).

and as for the "you don't pay you don't get updates" thing, it's really not like asking for free stuff in the real life. because in the real world, stuff costs money. so if i give you free stuff in the real life, i lose money. in game, jagex loses nothing or very little to give bank space. so they're really not similar. i don't think it's bull because it's a bad argument, i think it's bull because it's so commonly stated to be the *only* argument againts more ftp bank space, which is what this thread is designed to educate you about the falsity of.

wow. run on sentence.

and as for the "you don't pay you don't get updates" thing, it's really not like asking for free stuff in the real life. because in the real world, stuff costs money. so if i give you free stuff in the real life, i lose money. in game, jagex loses nothing or very little to give bank space. so they're really not similar. i don't think it's bull because it's a bad argument, i think it's bull because it's so commonly stated to be the *only* argument againts more ftp bank space, which is what this thread is designed to educate you about the falsity of.

wow. run on sentence.

It would, indirectly cost Jagex money in terms of programming and space used. It may not be much, but the cost to McDonalds between a thickshake and a large thickshake wouldn't be much either.

Ananke32.png

I hate having less bank-space on my free account. I have a memebrs, but I play on my Free account as well. I have spaces used for the full zombie (which is awesome) and the skeleton form the halloween event. I like the 2 of them and have room for all my mage range and melee supplies. It's hard to have room for mining, fishing, wood-cutting, fm, or anything when space is limited. I think they should add a2 rows for shrot and a 5 row max. That would be veyr sufficent for everyone.

1/= '/0(_) C4/\/ R34D 7H15 7H3/\/ '/0(_) J(_)57 G07 />\/\//\/7!!!!!!!!!!

http://sig.runeweb.net/sig/12/Mortifyer1.png

Mortifyer1.png

I hate having less bank-space on my free account. I have a memebrs, but I play on my Free account as well. I have spaces used for the full zombie (which is awesome) and the skeleton form the halloween event.

just so yuo know, you can drop the halloween stuff and get it back for free from diango.